Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree @Beekarina!
I know as a regular person though, I see weird things sometimes and think "Should I call this in?" and then I think "Am I nuts?" because some stuff is kind of iffy. Maybe he just thought the couple was flakey/ditzy? The world has seemed kinda weirder than usual past couple of years, so as the AWP guy who was the tow driver said, I imagine they DO see a lot of strange stuff. If you call in every weird thing, than you probably run the risk of seeming weird yourself.
RSBM!

I'm sorry, I might not have been clear. Here is the same image you provided from the manual. You have to apply the brake pedal before you can start most automatic cars, including this one per the manual you provided.. Right?
View attachment 363500
It's a common safety practice, but it's not required. In fact, the manual recommends not using the parking brake at all in cold weather. And the earlier image I provided is referencing the parking brake not the brake pedal.

1662153469799.png

I'm sorry, I might not have been clear. Here is the same image you provided from the manual. You have to apply the brake pedal before you can start most automatic cars, including this one per the manual you provided.. Right?
View attachment 363500
I live in flat Sacramento and I'm too lazy to apply the parking brake. Never had a problem starting any of my vehicles because of that. JMO.

Nick says in the interview that he was called to Boca on both Saturday and Sunday. (see image from AwP video @9:49)

Screenshot 2022-09-02 3.54.22 PM.png

It may not have been KR's vehicle but one similar.

It may have been someone else driving KR's vehicle. If so, where was Kiely?

KR was located in the "back, back", according to Diver Nick. Was she in the back, back when the RA guy was there, if it was her car?

Someone in the thread mentioned possibly seeing a blanket. Could she have been covered in the back, back?

I wish we had a firmer timeline for Friday. And maybe even Thursday.

She spent Thursday in Reno with Jagger and Kate, right?
RSBMFF

"She spent Thursday in Reno with Jagger and Kate, right?" No, that is not right.

Kiely’s friend Kate Cuno also shared with the outlet that they had just been together that day:

“The day of the party, I hung out with her. We made crème brûlée. Everything was normal. I don’t think she ran away or anything.”
She said they’d hung out the previous day, too — spending Thursday in Reno. Missing Teen Kiely Rodni’s Boyfriend Reveals The Final Words They Shared – The Hamden Journal

View attachment 363500
The parking brake is different from the brake pedal. The illustration to the left shows the parking brake. It's not necessary to put it on in order to start the car; the only time I engage it is if I park on a steep hill and don't want my car to roll.

But yes, you're correct in that the brake pedal needs to be depressed in order to start the car regardless if it's in N or P.

Nick says in the interview that he was called to Boca on both Saturday and Sunday. (see image from AwP video @9:49)

View attachment 363503

It may not have been KR's vehicle but one similar.

It may have been someone else driving KR's vehicle. If so, where was Kiely?

KR was located in the "back, back", according to Diver Nick. Was she in the back, back when the RA guy was there, if it was her car?

Someone in the thread mentioned possibly seeing a blanket. Could she have been covered in the back, back?

RSBMFF

"She spent Thursday in Reno with Jagger and Kate, right?" No, that is not right.
Thank you!

Ok, so Reno on Thursday was Kate & Kiely only.

Searching Reno FOR Kiely was Kate, Jagger and unnamed third friend on August 10th per this video:

**Edited to add: This video DOES clarify something. Kate & Kiely made creme brulee Friday AFTERNOON.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 5.30.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 5.30.13 PM.png
    512.8 KB · Views: 6
It's a common safety practice, but it's not required. In fact, the manual recommends not using the parking brake at all in cold weather. And the earlier image I provided is referencing the parking brake not the brake pedal.

View attachment 363502
I really don't want to go back and forth... I don't want to waste other's time. But I do want to make my point clearer.

In my initial response to you @CharlestonGal, I circled the incorrect instruction in the manual, sorry for any confusion.

So to confirm. A parking brake is also known as a handbrake. It is not the same as the brake pedal. The notation you provided in response to me is referring to a hand brake. With an automatic tranny, it is a safety precaution when parking a car (P) say on a hill or something. And yes, you want to avoid a hand brake from 'seizing' in freezing cold weather.

In the image you originally provided from the 2013 Honda CRV manual its the brake pedal requirement I was trying to point out (redone below). The brake pedal needs to be depressed before most cars with an automatic tranny will start.

So.. my point about the DA guy is maybe he thought the issue was N vs. P gear, when in fact, the man and woman did not know / did not remember that they had to press down on the brake pedal before the car would start.

ET: Update image attached and text to be more accurate. And I deleted my earlier post that sparked this confusion.
1662154671541.png

Last edited:
Doug agreed with Nick, being a fellow tow truck driver, that you see some crazy stuff on the job. I don't think it was Kiely he saw either, but I do think it was her car he serviced. He said the male and female never stood next to each other, and one was always near the car. It could have been another girl with blonde hair that was attempting to cover something up.

Pure speculation: What if Kiely and unidentified female and male took the after party over to Boca and Kiely OD'd or something tragic happened to her. Maybe they all did something (her car seemed to be the party car), but Kiely didn't wake up. Their prints are all over the vehicle, so they call a service guy out to get someone else to touch the inside of the car. An unknown adult male.

Then they somehow stealthily drove down to Prosser and let the car roll into the water. Hence the lack of evidence of entry into the water. IMO

The tow truck information should have been vetted before being put out to the public. When it appears that this information could be easily verified, why has it not been released what the plate was, who made the call for service, how was it paid for, etc.?
If LE has already discounted this information, then it's the responsibility of anyone floating it, to remove it from their video, the minute they verify it was not the victim. If it stays on the video "to show their side of their investigation", they will continue to cast doubt, unethically, in my opinion, on the facts.
The family really doesn't need all of this speculation that a man was involved, it could be foul play, etc. Hopefully, there are unaware. Her extended family and all her friends don't need fuel on an emotional fire either.
The story has grown legs even though it's nearly impossible that the car was driven into the lake, unseen in broad daylight, on a Saturday. When people were already there, already looking for Kiely.
I didn't see the video, do they at least give a disclaimer saying how unlikely this is?

The bit with the roadside guy has been out a few days now.

If LE has disproven it, wouldn't they release something to the effect? They have with other details that were untrue, such as the "hundreds of videos."

I agree with you that putting her CRV into the water on Saturday in broad daylight seems outlandish.

Thank you!

Ok, so Reno on Thursday was Kate & Kiely only.

Searching Reno FOR Kiely was Kate, Jagger and unnamed third friend on August 10th per this video:

**Edited to add: This video DOES clarify something. Kate & Kiely made creme brulee Friday AFTERNOON.
It's unfortunate that the tow driver described the male he saw since it closely fits Kiely's boyfriend - along with thousands of other young men in California. I'm afraid a maelstrom will start brewing in social media and Kiely's friends will be thrown into the middle of it. The last thing her friends and family need right now is to be in the spotlight of suspicion. I wish AWP could have waited until the investigation was concluded before releasing the videos. I am fascinated by the recovery and think it's helpful to educate the public. MOO.

Thinking about Nick the tow truck driver’s story again. I know Boca was within that 10 mile radius that AWP was going to search anyways but it’s still interesting that AWP found something in that story credible enough to search Boca first. But on the other hand, AWP aren’t investigators & they only had part of Nick’s story (they’re missing the actual evidence: the call logs & video) so maybe they decided to search there first for no other reason than because Nick showed up & they didn’t have a set place to search first

Thinking about Nick the tow truck driver’s story again. I know Boca was within that 10 mile radius that AWP was going to search anyways but it’s still interesting that AWP found something in that story credible enough to search Boca first. But on the other hand, AWP aren’t investigators & they only had part of Nick’s story (they’re missing the actual evidence: the call logs & video) so maybe they decided to search there first for no other reason than because Nick showed up & they didn’t have a set place to search first

Apparently, there is a longer/more detailed interview with Nick the roadside assistance guy?

Knowing that makes me wonder what he divulged that needed to be edited?

This case is just strange.

I really don't want to go back and forth... I don't want to waste other's time. But I do want to make my point clearer.

In my initial response to you @CharlestonGal, I circled the incorrect instruction in the manual, sorry for any confusion.

So to confirm. A parking brake is also known as a handbrake. It is not the same as the brake pedal. The notation you provided in response to me is referring to a hand brake. With an automatic tranny, it is a safety precaution when parking a car (P) say on a hill or something. And yes, you want to avoid a hand brake from 'seizing' in freezing cold weather.

In the image you originally provided from the 2013 Honda CRV manual its the brake pedal requirement I was trying to point out (redone below). The brake pedal needs to be depressed before most cars with an automatic tranny will start.

So.. my point about the DA guy is maybe he thought the issue was N vs. P gear, when in fact, the man and woman did not know / did not remember that they had to press down on the brake pedal before the car would start.

ET: update image attached and text to be more accurate.
View attachment 363514
I've never heard of vehicles having a system that prevents starting a car unless the primary brake is applied.

I do know about shift interlock systems that prevent a driver of an automatic transmission equipped car from moving the shifter out of park unless the brake is applied.
Washington, D.C. – In an effort to fend off legislation, 19 of the largest automakers have voluntarily entered into an agreement with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to install brake-to-shift interlock (BTSI) systems. BTSI’s require drivers to depress the brake pedal before shifting an automatic transmission out of Park.

rsbm
Keep in mind that I’m a writer, and I tend toward the conniving/conspiracy type stuff in my own made-up stories, but my first thought was that IF (and it seems now to be a big if, until more evidence is presented such as tow driver’s dash cam) it was someone else, it could be an attempt to get someone unrelated to an incident/a stranger to touch things in/get inside the vehicle
edited to add MOO
That would be the dumbest attempted cover-up in the history of dumb attempted cover-ups. In order to get a stranger to touch things inside the vehicle, they would be creating a witness and an evidence trail (dash cam on the tow truck, phone #s, etc) placing themselves with the vehicle after Kiely disappeared. Then, after working so hard to get those fingerprints in the car, why would they risk obliterating them by driving the car into the lake? And that itself would be an unbelievable risk given that people were already searching for Kiely at the lake.

It seems way, way more likely that Kiely and her car went into the lake the night of the party, and that the tow-truck call is entirely unconnected.

Apparently, there is a longer/more detailed interview with Nick the roadside assistance guy?

Knowing that makes me wonder what he divulged that needed to be edited?

This case is just strange.
Considering so much that he didn't even know about the part that was left in, I can't imagine that anything he said that was edited out was helpful. JMO

MOO.
I am surprised so many folks are convinced that the tow truck driver’s account is legitimate, but think he must have just been there on a different day.

Call me crazy, but my spidey sense (a.k.a. MOO) feels that his whole story is suspect. They begin his interview by saying he is a long-time supporter of AWP. That right there is just kind of odd (he’s supposedly offering a tip, but also reinforcing that they’re famous… just a thing that makes me stroke my chin questioningly).

But the thing that really leapt out at me is the level of detail he is supposedly able to remember about that service call, but also the things he is not able to recall. He referred to his work by saying he works for a roadside assistance program. Would that be a roadside assistance company? A towing company? He didn’t say the name of the company (which they would then redact/bleep out—he was careful not to name them… so he was coached prior to his taped interview.) Program is a weird word choice, to my ear (MOO).

Next, we have to talk about how the people he described helping were wearing the exact clothing that Jagger and Kate were wearing in their interview with MSM (the one where Jagger says he expects Kiely will be found safe, and Kate says everything was normal, and that she and KR made créme brûlée that day). He goes so far as to describe the black flat top San Francisco baseball cap with brown hair sticking out the sides, and the female as wearing a light grey sweatshirt.

My issues are twofold:

1) this guy is delivering all of this information to the AWP Crew (in the Best Buy parking lot, no less) about 2 weeks after the fact, he could easily have seen the MSM interview and then just made up the story. We have no log of the call, no video, and no acknowledgement from LE that this “tip” was ever called in. MOO/YMMV, but it smells fishy to me.

2) If I were AWP in fact most interested in the truth above all else, and I want to be sensitive to all involved, I’d want to run down the facts of that interview and double check with LE to make damn sure it all happened exactly as he said it did before using it as the opening hook in my mini-documentary on the search & recovery effort. After watching the video again, I think this is the sticking point for me (this and the recorded phone call from when they informed the family). They seem to want to err on the side that favors “murder?” and clicks, rather on ensuring accuracy and in publicizing what is most likely to be true. That bugs me.

I’ll walk back some of my (admittedly sharp) criticism and say that had they left out this sus-as-heck tow truck driver interview and the informing-the-family call, the remainder of the film was actually OK. Sorry if I offended folks with my criticism of AWP—I’m glad they found her and laud their work, even if I object to some of their tactics.

(I still find it impossible to believe that he called in a whopper of a tip like this to LE and that they somehow overlooked it.)

Again, MOO.

I've never heard of vehicles having a system that prevents starting a car unless the primary brake is applied.

I do know about shift interlock systems that prevent a driver of an automatic transmission equipped car from moving the shifter out of park unless the brake is applied.

Hmmm.

I have owned several automatic transmission vehicles - trucks and cars... not sure when that safety feature was added - just tried googling and stopped. But there is plenty of chatter about having to press down the brake pedal to start a car / truck with an automatic tranny. From what I just tried to research, I see that chatter going back into the early 2000s. To me it is just common knowledge. Manuals require depression of clutch, Automatics require depression of brake pedal.

Here is a wiki excerpt: "Many cars also prevent the engine from being started when the selector is in any position other than Park or Neutral (often in combination with requiring the brake pedal to be pressed)."

ETA: remove my last sentence and add the Wiki reference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member