Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully, I would think that the Rodni family spokesperson may know, better than most, if AWP accepts rewards, as they clearly, in this case at least, declined to accept one, as she has stated that the larger donations pledged have already been returned to the donors. This is in the very link you supplied.

As to the case in 2020, yes, AWP initially apparently attempted to claim the $100,000 reward, after locating the remains in a 7 year old case, but ultimately decided not to sue, and did accept some monetary amount. Perhaps it was after that situation, two years ago, that they decided that going forward, they would accept no rewards.

Frankly, I doubt that anyone whose loved one they found would have an issue with them accepting any offered reward, and from what I have read online, very many people have expressed a wish that AWP would accept the reward. Let us not forget, had it not been for AWP, Kiely would most likely still be in the bottom of Prosser Reservoir.

They should absolutely get the full reward and then they can use that to find other missing people. Not to mention, they were in another part of the country and quit early on other searches they had planned to do so they could come back and search for Kiely. So, there are other families who thought they were about to get AWP's help and they cancelled to search for Kiely. It's weird they would start returning part of the reward to donors and keep the rest instead of just giving it all to AWP. It shouldn't have been a question. They should just do it. It's the right thing. Maybe AWP didn't want to get involved in another lawsuit. Too bad...that reward money could have helped a lot of other families in the same situation.

Responding to this post from the last thread: Found Deceased - CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

If she didn't put herself in the lake perhaps someone walked her to her car and that person did 'things' (which is why I'm hoping they can get DNA from her). With the help of someone to lean on they could have easily made it to her car. And iphone flashlights bring light to the pitch dark. I once parked far out away from a small event I went to and when I left alone for my car, I was shocked that the establishment had turned out all the parking lot lights. It was pitch black and I was scared witless because the door had closed and locked behind me. I banged on the door till someone finally heard me and told her my plight. She pulled her phone out of her pocket and walked me back to my car. I was amazed at how much light that thing put out.

Hi @DeDee.

You stated in your post, T6,#934, that "I looked for Nick Rinn's [AWP] quote regarding the broken glass window to no avail. The NYPost wrote NR told them that the driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat."

Unfortunately, I believe that is a trick played on all of us by the NYPOST. In my T6, #181 post, I shared the 8/23 email I sent the NY POST online editor regarding confusion and apparent lack of substantiation of the information you cited.

“The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat.”

An excerpt from my email to the NY POST is as follows:

My first read of this sentence was that Mr. Rinn stated the second sentence of the author’s paragraph. And that seems ludicrous given how cautious AWP is with all their statements pertaining to their underwater discovery work. My second read, with a more critical analysis, is that the authors of the article put the two sentences together in a paragraph as a way to infer Mr. Rinn said the second sentence. When in actuality, there is no source cited for that second sentence.

Found Deceased - CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6
Found Deceased - CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6
Did the NYT editor reply to you?

Respectfully, I would think that the Rodni family spokesperson may know better than an uninvolved party if AWP accepts rewards, as they clearly, in this case at least, declined to accept one, as she has stated that the larger donations pledged have already been returned to the donors. This is in the very link you supplied.

As to the case in 2020, yes, AWP initially apparently attempted to claim the $100,000 reward, after locating the remains in a 7 year old case, but ultimately decided not to sue, and did accept some monetary amount. Perhaps it was after that situation, two years ago, that they decided that going forward, they would accept no rewards.

Frankly, I doubt that anyone whose loved one they found would have an issue with them accepting a reward, and from what I have read online, very many people have expressed a wish that AWP would accept the reward. Let us not forget, had it not been for AWP, Kiely would most likely still be in the bottom of Prosser Reservoir.
Yes. Also, in 2020, they probably needed the money to fund their efforts a little more than they need it now that their popularity has skyrocketed and they have funding streams to cover their costs. I forgive them for wanting to get paid for the work they did and equipment they have to maintain, etc.Their efforts cost money.

MOO (and i know I’ll get skewered for saying so, but i own it), a little thing that does kinda nag me is their name, though. They began as an environmental clean up team removing junk from waterways, so “Adventures” in the name didn’t seem at all glib, but now I’d kind of like to see them rebrand with a name that has a slightly less ghoulish overtone. Their adventures are a direct result of the misfortune and misadventure of others—would be cool to see them adapt a bit and revise the name to suit the gravity of their work.

I love their work—and praise them. Just think this is a minor change they could make…

Edited by me to split two topics accidentally posted together.

Last edited:
Yes. Also, in 2020, they probably needed the money to fund their efforts a little more than they need it now that their popularity has skyrocketed and they have funding streams to cover their costs. I forgive them for wanting to get paid for the work they did and equipment they have to maintain, etc.Their efforts cost money.

MOO (and i know I’ll get skewered for saying so, but i own it), a little thing that does kinda nag me is their name, though. They began as an environmental clean up team removing junk from waterways, so “Adventures” in the name didn’t seem at all glib, but now I’d kind of like to see them rebrand with a name that has a slightly less ghoulish overtone. Their adventures are a direct result of the misfortune and misadventure of others—would be cool to see them adapt a bit and revise the name to suit the gravity of their work.

I love their work—and praise them. Just think this is a minor change they could make…

Edited by me to split two topics accidentally posted together.
BBM

I agree with you mostly. The work they are doing now has risen exponentially in value and the "Adventures" thing seems a little inappropriate.

But they are making such a big contribution and a large part of that is recognition of their "brand". That draws in a lot including the ability to find cases to look into as well as funds to keep very current on cutting edge equipment.

I think people can get past the name as long as they continue to excel at what they're doing.

JMHO

<modsnip> This is an interview with the Adventures with Purpose duo. Start video at about 17:00. One of the team says - to paraphrase - it's an ongoing investigation, still a lot of answers still out there, a lot of questions to be answered. He adds - Expect a lot of very heavy stuff to come from this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe but Kiely's upbringing even by Tahoe standards would have given her almost certainly superior skills. She learned how to drive going in and out of Lost Trail Lodge, said to be 4 miles of treacherous dirt roads. In winter, the lodge is only accessible by snowmobile. Kids here are snowmobiling and ATV riding before they drive. She was supposed to go camping with friends the next day. This is not a city kid clueless about nature stuck in the woods.

If she voluntarily or involuntarily took a substance like date rape drugs or hallucinogens, then I suppose some of those could ruin the cognitive abilities of just about anyone.

I agree and also respectfully disagree. I grew up in Sun Valley, Idaho. We had pretty decent driving skills as teens, all conditions, dirt roads, mountain passes, 1 blinking traffic light in the whole county. We were licensed at 14. It is a source of pride and we were not "city kids". I can also say that growing up, we lost our share of teens due to car accidents, skiing accidents, and other accidents as well. Teens are teens. They really don't have the years of experience to have "superior" driving skills. For every tragic accident, there were a lot of near misses. Teen drivers lack years of driving experience, brains are not fully formed or gelled, decision making is still a learning process, and sometimes bad things do indeed happen at night, in vehicles, with alcohol, fatigue, and perceived familiarity close to home.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people. RIP Kiely.

Okay, I found other CourtTV videos here so I'll go ahead and post. This is an interview with the Adventures with Purpose duo. Start video at about 17:00. One of the team says - to paraphrase - it's an ongoing investigation, still a lot of answers still out there, a lot of questions to be answered. He adds - Expect a lot of very heavy stuff to come from this.

Thanks for posting this. Very helpful. Also helpful for me was the camera angle the picture was shot from. (Around that 17:00 mark) Seeing the beach in “profile” like that is a great visual of how steep it really is. I haven’t watched all the previous videos, so had not seen that angle before.

IMO there is a very thin line between thinking there might be foul play in KRs death and accusing her friends or insinuating they might have something to do with her death.

Yes, fentanyl is raging in our nation. Most of the time, the fentanyl OD happens right away.
You do not ingest fentanyl, get in your car, drive a rough and bumpy road all the way to the beach and then suddenly die, of course there will be exceptions.. Just MOO, but suggesting she ODd on fentanyl without a toxicology report is like saying every missing person must have or may have been trafficked and iirc it was suggested on this thread concerning KR.

I learned my lesson about friend blaming during the Lauren Spierer case when a killer
chose another victim from the same bar 4 years later and could have been Laurens killer.
There is no evidence whatsoever that Lauren ODd and her friends hid her body, and after all these years, still no clue. Yet the stigma will always be there for her friends.

Same deal, everyone concerned in Laurens case were high on a myriad of drugs and drunk off their keisters. Lots and lots of money these were mega rich kids Drama ensued just like in KRs case, even fights. So easy to concoct a theory. I felt so guilty
about some of my posts, originally I thought it was an outsider abduction but then joined in the friend blaming.

JMO but I think the only thing, maybe one of those friends saw her turn off towards the beach. If someone my son knew ended up missing, and after talking with him and he said he knew nothing about it...and yet I knew he smoked weed, etc, what is the point of him going to LE to say he knew nothing! If I asked my son if he shared any drugs or alcohol with this missing person or saw anyone else do it and he said no, I would not even let him go to LE so they can pull him into the situation, good way to get inadvertedly burned.

NOT that I am trying to tell others how to parent, in fact, bringing up how we parent our kids in respect to the deceased, or how our kids reacted so much more differently, etc, is a good way to try to relate but at the same time IMOO almost always has no bearing in specific, individualistic cases.

My father took us, his children and wife, to Colorado the day after school ended in the summer. We learned to buckaroo ride in Ouray, hike the Iron Mountain at Chautauqua Park,fish in freshwater streams and cook outdoors under a canopy of stars before retiring in our cozy cabin for much needed rest. We learned how to drive cars and trucks on those narrow roads to hidden places like Platoro.

When, as adults, we made my father, a grandfather, he'd scoop our babies and head to Colorado with them. Their best summer memories were times spent in the mountains of his beloved Colorado. Daddy was unique, I suppose, for he expected us to be able to cook pancakes and spaghetti by 5yo just as he expected us to be able to handle a vehicle by age 14, on the roads less traveled, of course.

Thus, it may be the reason I can't find understanding in Kiely being referred to as a new driver. Her 17th birthday is next week. We've/I've seen countless pictures of a typical day in the life of Kiely Rodni whether it's spent dining al fresco in Reno or a video of her driving thru the tunnel at Lost Trail. Is it unusual to expect she's been driving some type of vehicle for, possibly, 3 years? This little darling could handle a vehicle because she's likely been doing it for years, on roads less traveled.

Maybe but Kiely's upbringing even by Tahoe standards would have given her almost certainly superior skills. She learned how to drive going in and out of Lost Trail Lodge, said to be 4 miles of treacherous dirt roads. In winter, the lodge is only accessible by snowmobile. Kids here are snowmobiling and ATV riding before they drive. She was supposed to go camping with friends the next day. This is not a city kid clueless about nature stuck in the woods.

If she voluntarily or involuntarily took a substance like date rape drugs or hallucinogens, then I suppose some of those could ruin the cognitive abilities of just about anyone.

But her superior driving skills weren't enough to keep her and her car out of the lake. How I wish her precocious driving skills were enough to keep her from this death!

IMO it's extremely precarious for anyone if they end up in their vehicle underwater. City or country, young or old, drunk or sober.

I certainly believe what you're saying. Here in NYC growing up we were on subways and buses all the time, and learned to drive when we were 17. I have no doubt Kiely was effortlessly snowmobiling, ATV riding, and experienced on treacherous dirt roads at a very young age.

I'm just stating what seems obvious to me, these skills at that perilous moment were clearly not enough. I do believe some substance overthrew her perception that night.

Jmo

But her superior driving skills weren't enough to keep her and her car out of the lake. How I wish her precocious driving skills were enough to keep her from this death!

IMO it's extremely precarious for anyone if they end up in their vehicle underwater. City or country, young or old, drunk or sober.

I certainly believe what you're saying. Here in NYC growing up we were on subways and buses all the time, and learned to drive when we were 17. I have no doubt Kiely was effortlessly snowmobiling, ATV riding, and experienced on treacherous dirt roads at a very young age.

I'm just stating what seems obvious to me, these skills at that perilous moment were clearly not enough. I do believe some substance overthrew her perception that night.

Jmo
Yes you and I reach different inferences from that information - and that's okay.

I still think it's more likely that a third party had a role in putting her in the water. Whether that was giving her a substance that she took knowingly or slipping something in her drink. Whether something else happened and the third party disposed of her body. There are a thousand different possible scenarios until we get more info from LE. I do not consider a tragic accident without any third party involvement to be the most likely one.

Jmo
Regardless of what skills she possessed, what she lacked was experience. Snowmobiles and ATV's are great off-road recreational vehicles, but she wasn't driving either of those. She was driving an automobile, that requires a different skill set, with a drivers license that she had gotten less than a year ago. That alone would make driving that dark area around the campground challenging enough. Add in the possibility of doing it while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it would have become a recipe for disaster. JMO

Last edited:

Jmo
ok I like where you go with this...and want to say, that is why it is called an accident.
This means, and I am not lecturing but agreeing with what you posted, something occurred that was not supposed to and was no ones fault

I'm so grateful to AWD for finding Kiely. Horrible as it is at least her family will have her back and won't spend months if not years wondering where she is. And I have confidence in LE that they will work hard to determine what led to her going into the water, whether Kiely's death was a tragic accident or the result of foul play. MOO.

This is interesting. Obviously we know Kiely sadly ended up in the water, but I found this while searching for something else I was interested in knowing more about.

Statistically speaking....I found this of interest.

SUBMERSED VEHICLES​

Car crashes where water submersion was the main factor make up less than 1% of traffic fatalities nationwide, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration figures.

Five states have the most submerged vehicles: Florida, California, Texas, Louisiana and North Carolina. Many people in those states feel it’s common enough to drive with a window punch and seat belt cutters.

But how common is it?

Gerald Dworkin, a professional Aquatics Safety and Water Rescue Consultant for Lifesaving Resources Inc, told the Orlando Sentinel he estimates some 1,200 to 1,500 vehicles wind up in the water in the United States every year.

Again there are about 5.5 million reported crashes per year. If there are 1,500 (high estimate) vehicles that end up submerged in water; that means 0.0273% of all car crashes result in vehicle submersion.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System says from 2004 to 2007 there was an annual average of 384 traffic fatalities in which accidental drowning was listed as one of the causes of death. During that period total number fatalities from car crashes averaged 42,500 (the number was 35,092 in 2015). Drowning was a contributing factor but not necessarily primary cause of death in 0.9% of fatal crashes and only 0.0069% of all car crashes.

BBM

I agree with you mostly. The work they are doing now has risen exponentially in value and the "Adventures" thing seems a little inappropriate.

But they are making such a big contribution and a large part of that is recognition of their "brand". That draws in a lot including the ability to find cases to look into as well as funds to keep very current on cutting edge equipment.

I think people can get past the name as long as they continue to excel at what they're doing.

JMHO
Thank you, and I do I agree—and I feel kind of curmudgeonly for even putting the thought about the name out there. It’s a tiny thing in a sea of a lot of big things…

Don’t mean to make light, but I’ve also typed “WAP” about ten times instead of AWP and had to edit a bunch so… a change in name would help keep me from making the embarrassing kind of typo. ;-)

Last edited:
<modsnip> This is an interview with the Adventures with Purpose duo. Start video at about 17:00. One of the team says - to paraphrase - it's an ongoing investigation, still a lot of answers still out there, a lot of questions to be answered. He adds - Expect a lot of very heavy stuff to come from this.

One big question I have is why the front window is broken and the back windows are rolled down? What broke the window, and why do that if the back ones are already down? Two people in the car, one in back, car flips, the person in front doesn't know the windows in back are down? IDK? My mind running in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flint80