Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The water level is low this year. I was surprised when I looked at this map. Compared to earlier maps, the sandy part of the shore is much larger. Droughts have been announced in the USA this year, and have been seen in Europe and many other countries. Was the lower water level a factor in her perceptions, parking locations, party locations?

Google Maps 2022

View attachment 360946
Not that this is too important but there was a local man in earlier threads who gave us a lot of great info (& pictures!) and he said the water levels weren’t low at all due to all the snow they’d gotten earlier in the year

You don't have to be drunk to drive into a body of water. It also happens to sober people. The common denominator is usually weather or extreme darkness. There are some roads that have no street lights whatsoever and no homes so there's no light coming from anywhere except your headlights. As we all know water looks dark at night. It's very possible to not realize you're headed toward water until just before you go in. If you don't have time ot stop or if you're under the influence or otherwise distracted, disasters happen.

Two women in Maine drove into the water in a similar fashion. Neither was under the influence. It was just very, very dark and they were unfamiliar with the area. The road they were on was a hill, so they crested the hill and as they went down, they hit water. They didn't realize it was a boat ramp.

Stupid question, if this happens so much more often than it should, why can't there be a gate around boat ramps, especially public ones?
Or, if there's a steep muddy embankment just off the shore - no chance to get out of the car before it turns upside down, so she is on her head and the air to get out is at her feet.

I think the water levels at Prosser Creek Reservoir dropped this year, so the terrain might have been different than expected.

I have to say, watching the recovery effort from above, the car isn’t quite as close to the water’s edge as it looked from initial photos. It seemed to be much further out when viewed directly from above.

So hard to watch. Bless the work of the recovery team, who are clearly working hard to bring her home. Kudos to all for their professionalism and sensitivity.

I don't think there is any evidence (at this point) that this was a suicide. By all accounts Kiely had plans for her future, a number of good friends and a stable home life.
IMO this is simply a heartbreaking case of a young person under the influence of alcohol or another substance that was unable to navigate her vehicle safely home.
Yeah, looking at this attachment its really odd that she would end up in the water if she was taking the road. If the party was where the attachment shows it was she would have to drive around to get to the forks in the roads unless she drove straight through but she would know the directions to home. If she was following the roads and was cognizant of the forks I don't see how she would have this accident. Its pretty far from where she was found meaning the forks and the roads. So for me its difficult to imagine how she was found where she was. The attachment is in posts (same attachment)# 347 & 385

Last edited:
It looks to me like they're having a bit of trouble getting it unstuck from the mud and turned over.

Also every time the divers move, you can see how muddy the bottom is and how murky the water. The car is just a blur.

Or, if there's a steep muddy embankment just off the shore - no chance to get out of the car before it turns upside down, so she is on her head and the air to get out is at her feet.

I think the water levels at Prosser Creek Reservoir dropped this year, so the terrain might have been different than expected.
The visual cues down there for someone familiar with the area would have alerted them they were not on the road home. The road home is on a dirt road through trees. Not a hill/bank without trees which is every way into the water from that side.

It isn't sounding like this is by the boat ramp but rather on the other side where the party was rumored to be. I understand the car could have drifted some. Still trying to get an accurate map as that one video shows car on one side and then found car on the other side. It's my understanding the car is on the party side which is not by the boat ramp. Correct me if someone has better info.

This is so very sad, but still, it seems this is one of the best outcomes they could have hoped for. The family now knows what happened; it was purely an unexpected accident; no one purposely harmed her as was commonly suspected. This is an awful, sad accident, but now they know, and there was no evil intent.

Such a sad loss. Gone too soon, Kiely.

In LE's defense the water may be murky so we don't really know.
Agreed...OP asked why LE didn't find it originally. LE already stated they couldn't see a anything in the water. Much was hand touching it was so murky. Visibility is next to none and AWP showed up, brought their expertise and were able to assist. I applaud them. This isn't usually their type of gig being a fresh case and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow