Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Average water temperature in the last couple of weeks is 73 F

View attachment 361146

That seems warm to me. I know it was dark, and she was intoxicated, but you would think she could get out of the rolled down windows in that warm water. Literally 14-20 feet, that is the deep end of some pools. I just can't wrap my head around this. Why would a responsible 16 year old try to drive in this condition?

The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat."
RS&BBM
... I suspect a question LE will want to solve is why was the driver's window broken when AWP discovered KR's car?

Possible Explanations Window Broke:

1. Impact w/water (accident)
2. Impact w/bottom (accident)
3. Car rolled before entry (accident)
4. KR used a window-brake tool (accident)
5. Someone at the party smashed window to gain access to car to try and rouse KR in backseat (?)

I'll stop there. All IMO.

Source:

Last edited:
I see a lot of reference to the boat ramp in relation to the party location and the car. Is there a second boat ramp that is not marked on maps?

This is aerial footage of the car recovery, thanks to @megs1477.

1661212561072.png

There is no boat ramp at the car recovery location.

1661212678373.png

1661212499737.png

I just can't believe we have roads that literally lead into water, without warnings, without gates, without lights. It should not be legal.
The majority of boat ramps here have a road sign but do not have gates unless they are on private property. Some have lights.

They lead directly into the lake, bayou or even the gulf. But they don’t go straight from a main road into water, there is a parking lot or grassy areas so you can turn the truck and trailer around to be able to back down the ramp.

The road Kiely was on - it wasn’t a paved surface road, it was a dirt road.
She wasn’t near the boat ramp.

Last edited:
ok I admit I'm obsessing.....I just have one more question.Lets just say Kiely figured out she was in a whole lot of trouble after hitting the water...adrenaline kicks in and you suddenly realize what is happening. How is it she doesn't call 911 ? (that's assuming of course her phone was charged and at the ready).
Speaking from experience, you can't call emergency services or ANYONE as you're fighting for your life and desperately trying to get out of the vehicle as it's sinking. All belongings, phone, and etc get left behind

And I really don't want to be negative, but the fact she was not found right away, only 20 ft below surface, and in the most obvious, logical place that even YouTubers were pointing out, is unbelievably disappointing. This wasn't 200 ft down, it was 20ft. Maybe I don't understand, but from my perspective the police dropped the ball here, they even told AWP that they were sure she wasn't where they found her as they thoroughly searched it already. The police used sonar too, and again only 20ft. They dropped the ball here, sorry to say it.

I see a lot of reference to the boat ramp in relation to the party location and the car. Is there a second boat ramp that is not marked on maps?

This is aerial footage of the car recovery, thanks to @megs1477.

View attachment 361149

There is no boat ramp at the car recovery location.

View attachment 361150

View attachment 361148
I have only heard the locals that are familiar with the area mention, and only recall seeing picture of the one that is paved. I recall someone posting a video of a drive around it, and only recall seeing the one then as well. JMO

Last edited:
Averages can be, well, averages. Given she was found in about a 14' depth, I wonder what the temp was at that depth for the most part, night and day.
There is more specific information about the water temperatures at the link. One week after she went into the water, the temp in that location was roughly 65 F.

1661213820158.png

Perhaps in cases were water is in play, LE should consider calling in AWP right away.....and giving them $50K in consulting fees to help with the water searches.

IMO LE has that money in their budgets and it would seem to be a more effecient use of funds....especially if we use this active case as an example.

AWP usually does not get involved in active cases, but this is an example of perhaps why they should work with LE on some of these cases...IMO
I would love to see AWP provide training/consulting services to states. The state police could purchase the equipment and train employees needed to dispatch within their states.

ok I admit I'm obsessing.....I just have one more question.Lets just say Kiely figured out she was in a whole lot of trouble after hitting the water...adrenaline kicks in and you suddenly realize what is happening. How is it she doesn't call 911 ? (that's assuming of course her phone was charged and at the ready).

The car was upside down, probably got that way very quickly. Chances are she couldn't have found her cell phone even if she tried, unfortunately.

it is a question one would ask because it goes to how conscious she was- maybe not
even fully conscious when the car went in the water, though no one wants to think about her struggling. I also think her parents would be asking themselves about her last moments, even if the thoughts are painful, IMO.

I understand why they asked it I just don't think it was necessary. We have all thought it but do we really need confirmation that she fought for her life and her last moments were full of panic?. We can all imagine well enough and we will find out soon enough if she was conscious or not and I just don't think it was a necessary question to ask in front of her parents who only just found our their child was dead. JMO.

From the ripples in the water
I found something interesting on the topic that might help.

should the vehicle land in deep water, if the water depth is less than 14′, the vehicle will usually come to rest on the bottom on all four wheels, assuming there are no large rocks or other debris on the bottom. However, water depths greater than 14′ usually results in the vehicle turning turtle and landing upside down on its roof. Needless to say, being upside down in a dark environment with water rushing in will totally disorient the occupants of the vehicle.

More at: Escape and Rescue from Submerged Vehicles - Lifesaving Resources
That's good to note. But as for her not escaping if the car was sinking she would have time to see the openings in the windows.

@Truckeeite I can't find anything about the windows being all up. That must've been misinformation being spread initially and I repeated it without anything to back it up. I apologize for that.

However, I did find this article by the NY Post:

"The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat."

So, according to this, it can be confirmed that the driver's side window was broken when found by Nick Rinn. I guess either upon impact into the water or landing at the bottom?

Mystery over how SUV of missing teen Kiely Rodni ended up in a reservoir
Maybe Kiely owned one of the emergency escape tools? Poor kid.

Edited: Sorry, noticed RedHaus mentioned this after posting. I do think it is possible given what we know of her lifestyle/family that she could have been equipped with one. :(

On what basis is OP assuming that if the windows were open, they were opened by the victim? o_O Link, please. TIA.
It was just my opinion but the photo showed all the windows down as the car was being pulled out of the water so my assumption was that either she may have or someone else. That photo is posted on many posts in this thread.

That seems warm to me. I know it was dark, and she was intoxicated, but you would think she could get out of the rolled down windows in that warm water. Literally 14-20 feet, that is the deep end of some pools. I just can't wrap my head around this. Why would a responsible 16 year old try to drive in this condition?
We need to take into consideration that she could've been knocked unconscious on impact (hit head on steering wheel) or passed out at the wheel. There's a myriad of situations that could've happened which rendered her without the ability to exit the vehicle.

On a side note, I learned today that Honda's vehicles are equipped in a way so that the windows will work if the vehicle is submerged in water. You just have to manually hit the switches.

IMO

Speaking from experience, you can't call emergency services or ANYONE as you're fighting for your life and desperately trying to get out of the vehicle as it's sinking. All belongings, phone, and etc get left behind
Not to seem rude, but what would be the point? If you want to survive, calling 911 isn't going to help you in this situation.

It was just my opinion but the photo showed all the windows down as the car was being pulled out of the water so my assumption was that either she may have or someone else. That photo is posted on many posts in this thread.
FWIW, someone else pointed out previously that you can very clearly see pieces of glass like the driver side window had been broken. If you zoom in on the photo of the vehicle coming out of the lake, you can see the jagged glass. Not sure about other windows, though.

Just having a second look at the Prosser Lake water temperatures. It looks like the temperature in the location of the car was closer to 55 F, which might mean that there isn't too much decomposition.

1661214634993.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member