GUILTY CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the only thing I could find that was recent - i.e. hearing yesterday, 10/6

Peterson.jpg
^^
Oct. 20 @ 1:30pm - Evidentiary Hearing. To confirm the court appointments of Peterson's attorneys & set a 2 week time frame for the juror misconduct hearing.

Dec. 8 @ 10am - Sentencing hearing to formally sentence Peterson to 'life without the possibility of parole'.

link: Log into Facebook

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A California judge says Wednesday that she plans to resentence Scott Peterson to life in prison Dec. 8 while she separately considers whether he deserves a new trial in the 2002 murders of his pregnant wife and unborn son.
https://www.ksby.com/news/californi...tence-scott-peterson-in-december-to-life-term

Scratching my head over this. Sorry for butting in, I haven't followed this closely, so I'll backtrack to fill in. Every time we go to NorCal and pass by the prison I take a picture and put it on my facebook page - "Scott Peterson's House is Lookin Good".

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A California judge says Wednesday that she plans to resentence Scott Peterson to life in prison Dec. 8 while she separately considers whether he deserves a new trial in the 2002 murders of his pregnant wife and unborn son.
https://www.ksby.com/news/californi...tence-scott-peterson-in-december-to-life-term

Scratching my head over this. Sorry for butting in, I haven't followed this closely, so I'll backtrack to fill in. Every time we go to NorCal and pass by the prison I take a picture and put it on my facebook page - "Scott Peterson's House is Lookin Good".

You can still take pictures - as I believe he will stay in San Quentin - just moved off death row. I used live near San Rafael - in Novato - so know the place well! :)

I’ve done a forum search but couldn’t find what I was looking for so asking on this thread. Is there a Scott Peterson forum? Somewhere with media links, interviews, court documents please?

I’ve done a forum search but couldn’t find what I was looking for so asking on this thread. Is there a Scott Peterson forum? Somewhere with media links, interviews, court documents please?

Oh geez - now I can't remember the name of the lady that archives everything here. I'm thinking @AmandaReckonwith !

You might have more luck searching Laci Peterson, if you're looking for old threads. Thread titles tend to feature the victim's name.

I've had issues finding threads when I search the perp's name

You might have more luck searching Laci Peterson, if you're looking for old threads. Thread titles tend to feature the victim's name.

I've had issues finding threads when I search the perp's name

Thanks, I tried that, and unless I am blind/really dense I couldn't find threads specifically for Laci's case, only mentions of her name or Scott's sentencing/re-trial news. Surely there would be a load of threads, if not a specific section, for Laci as it was such a big case?

I’m not very good at searching here. I seem to have more luck by searching the name + Websleuths in google.

All I could find was this thread:
GUILTY - CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002

from its early posts it appears the discussion was archived to be read-only but the link in first post to the archived thread is broken so can’t even access that.

Sorry no help!

eta: ps maybe the family asked for it to be removed? I have seen that mentioned before as a reason for threads being deleted

Wednesday, October 20th:
*Evidentiary Hearing (Stanislaus & San Mateo County) (@ 1:30pm PT) – CA – Laci Denise Peterson (27) & Connor (unborn) (missing Dec. 24, 2002, Modesto; found April 13, 2003 in the San Francisco Bay) - *Scott Lee Peterson (30 @ time of crime/now 47) convicted & found guilty (11/12/04) of 1st degree murder (Laci) & 2nd degree murder(son) & sentenced (3/16/05) to the death penalty.
He was found guilty on 11/12/04 of the 1st degree murder of his pregnant wife, Laci, & the 2nd degree murder of their unborn son, Connor, & in 2005, he was sentenced to death by lethal injection. His case is currently on automatic appeal to the Supreme Court of California. Sits on San Quentin's death row. Calif. Supreme Court denied a new trial in the guilt phase but reversed the death penalty sentence for Stanislaus County. Also the San Mateo Superior Court will now consider whether there was jury misconduct. Stanislaus County district attorney’s office said it won’t seek the death penalty if there is a new trial.
Re-Sentencing Hearing on 12/8/21.

Court info from 5/14/20 thru 8/25/21 reference post #206 here:
CA - District Attorney to retry Scott Peterson's Penalty Phase in Laci Peterson case, 2021 *Guilty*

9/22/21 Update: A California judge ruled Wednesday that Peterson needs to be re-sentenced for the 2002 murders of his wife, Laci & their unborn son, Conner. Peterson has been without a sentence since 2020 when his death sentence was overturned. He is currently housed on San Quentin's death row. He is scheduled to be re-sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole in December. Richelle Nice who served on the Peterson murder trial jury is demanding immunity to protect herself against self-incrimination, court documents revealed. The judge denied a defense request to take depositions of the juror & witnesses to those crimes against her but said she could be questioned during an evidentiary hearing. The juror, however, has said she won’t testify at a hearing unless she is granted immunity from prosecution on a possible perjury charge, attorneys said. If not, she will invoke her Fifth Amendment right against self incrimination. Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo said she wants to sentence Peterson in December, before deciding whether he deserves a new trial over alleged juror misconduct. She set an Oct. 6 hearing to set a date for resentencing him to a life term with no chance of parole.
10/6/21 Update: Hearing to confirm the court appointments of Peterson's attorneys & set a 2 week time frame for the juror misconduct hearing. Evidentiary hearing on 10/20/21 @ 1:30pm. Sentencing hearing to formally sentence Peterson to 'life without the possibility of parole' is on 12/8/21 @ 10am. Peterson will be moved to San Mateo County Courthouse in the coming weeks & will be present for the evidentiary & sentencing hearings.

Article before hearing.

Scott Peterson's former defense counsel touts new evidence: 'I really believe in Scott’s innocence'

Oct. 20, 2021
At a hearing scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m. PT, Peterson’s defense team is expected to ask San Mateo Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo to set a date for another hearing when she will ultimately decide whether or not to grant their request for a new trial.

Earlier this month, Massullo decided on Dec. 8 for Peterson to be resentenced to life in prison, and the defense wants the judge to schedule the hearing deciding about a new trial to happen before then.
[.....]
Wednesday’s hearing will address whether the Habeas Corpus counsel will remain on the case, and once that issue is resolved, to pick a date for the hearing to determine whether a new trial will be granted. The overturning of the death sentence has complicated who should represent Peterson, and the timing of the retrial decision. Defense attorneys who work for the Habeas Corpus attorneys may no longer be able to represent Peterson because by law they can only be involved in death penalty cases.

Article after hearing.

Scott Peterson denied bail ahead of re-sentencing for murder of wife and unborn son

Oct. 21, 2021
Peterson, who murdered his pregnant wife and unborn son in 2002, was denied bail ahead of a December hearing where he will be re-sentenced to life without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled Wednesday.
[.....]
Peterson is expected to be transferred to the San Mateo County courthouse on Dec. 8 for re-sentencing.
[.....]
During the nearly hour-long hearing on Wednesday, Peterson’s attorneys and prosecutors also argued over whether lawyers with Habeas Corpus Resource Center could stay on as his counsel for Peterson’s new trial.

The California Supreme Court overturned Peterson’s death sentence last year after it found jurors who personally disagreed with the death penalty but were willing to impose it were dismissed improperly. The high court last year also ordered Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo to decide if Peterson should get a new trial to determine if juror misconduct occurred during Peterson’s 2004 trial.
[.....]
Prosecutors on Wednesday said since Peterson is no longer facing death, his appellate attorneys should no longer be able to represent him because, by law, they only handle death penalty cases.
[.....]
Michael J. Hersek, executive director of the Habeas Corpus Resource Center, which has represented Peterson in his appeal, said the lower court judge does not have the jurisdiction to determine if Peterson’s attorneys should be vacated from the case.
[.....]
The judge ordered Peterson’s attorneys to speak to their client to determine if he would agree to sign a "waiver of irregularities" that could allow them to stay on as his counsel. Both sides will come back on November 10 to discuss the waiver issue.

Wednesday, Nov. 10th:
*Status Hearing (re Signed Waiver) (Stanislaus & San Mateo County) (@ am PT) – CA – Laci Denise Peterson (27) & Connor (unborn) (missing Dec. 24, 2002, Modesto; found April 13, 2003 in the San Francisco Bay) - *Scott Lee Peterson (30 @ time of crime/now 47) convicted & found guilty (11/12/04) of 1st degree murder (Laci) & 2nd degree murder(son) & sentenced (3/16/05) to the death penalty.
He was found guilty on 11/12/04 of the 1st degree murder of his pregnant wife, Laci, & the 2nd degree murder of their unborn son, Connor, & in 2005, he was sentenced to death by lethal injection.
His case is currently on automatic appeal to the Supreme Court of California. Sits on San Quentin's death row.
Calif. Supreme Court denied a new trial in the guilt phase but reversed the death penalty sentence for Stanislaus County. Also the San Mateo Superior Court will now consider whether there was jury misconduct. Stanislaus County district attorney’s office said it won’t seek the death penalty if there is a new trial.
Court info from 5/14/20 thru 9/22/21 reference post #217 here:
CA - District Attorney to retry Scott Peterson's Penalty Phase in Laci Peterson case, 2021 *Guilty*

10/6/21 Update: Hearing to confirm the court appointments of Peterson's attorneys & set a 2 week time frame for the juror misconduct hearing. Evidentiary hearing on 10/20/21 @ 1:30pm. Sentencing hearing to formally sentence Peterson to 'life without the possibility of parole' is on 12/8/21 @ 10am. Peterson will be moved to San Mateo County Courthouse in the coming weeks & will be present for the evidentiary & sentencing hearings.
10/20/21 Update: During the nearly hour-long hearing on Wednesday, Peterson’s attorneys and prosecutors also argued over whether lawyers with Habeas Corpus Resource Center could stay on as his counsel for Peterson’s new trial. Peterson was denied bail ahead of a December hearing where he will be re-sentenced to life without the possibility of parole, Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo ruled Wednesday. Prosecutors on Wednesday said since Peterson is no longer facing death, his appellate attorneys should no longer be able to represent him because, by law, they only handle death penalty cases. Michael J. Hersek, executive director of the Habeas Corpus Resource Center, which has represented Peterson in his appeal, said the lower court judge does not have the jurisdiction to determine if Peterson’s attorneys should be vacated from the case. The judge ordered Peterson’s attorneys to speak to their client to determine if he would agree to sign a "waiver of irregularities" that could allow them to stay on as his counsel. Both sides will come back on 11/10/21 to discuss the waiver issue.

Scott Peterson deserves to have supporters at re-sentencing, attorney says | KRON4

Nov. 10, 2021

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (KRON) — Scott Peterson deserves to have as many friends and family members in the courtroom as the murder victim has at his re-sentencing hearing, his defense attorney told a judge in court Wednesday.

Peterson is preparing to break his 17-year-long silence by speaking in court when he is re-sentenced on Dec. 8.
[.....]
On Wednesday, Peterson appeared via a live video feed from San Quentin while Stanislaus County District Attorney Birgit Fladager, defense attorney Pat Harris, and Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo sparred over who will be allowed inside the courtroom when Peterson is re-sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole.
[.....]
Stanislaus County District Attorney Birgit Fladager said 12 of Laci’s family members and four of her close friends will make victim impact statements.

“You always know, at a sentencing hearing, they are very emotional,” Harris told KRON4.

The judge said the courtroom’s seating is very limited because of COVID-19 safety rules requiring social distancing.
[.....]
Then Harris asked for 12 seats in the courtroom for Peterson’s supporters, noting that Peterson’s family would also like to speak.
[.....]
The judge said she would only give Peterson’s supporters six seats. Harris took issue with the lop-sided number.
[.....]
Judge Massullo said, “I have to follow the rules of this courtroom. That’s six feet of distance and masks. That leaves very few options for the court.”

The judge said she plans to have 16 seats for Laci’s supporters, six seats for Peterson’s supporters, and the remaining 15 seats for the public and media combined. A lottery system will be used to decide who sits in those 15 seats.
[.....]
In addition to preparing for the sentencing hearing, on Wednesday Judge Massullo set a date for an evidentiary hearing as part of Peterson’s battle for a whole new murder trial.
[.....]
The evidentiary hearing will begin on Feb. 25, 2022 and end on March 4, 2022. There will be about five hours of testimony each day.
[.....]
Nice will be called to the witness stand as the primary witness.
..... Legal experts said Nice pleading the fifth will help strengthen Peterson’s case.
[.....]
Media cameras will not be allowed in the courtroom for the evidentiary hearing, the judge said.
[.....]
Peterson’s next court date is set for Nov. 17 at 10 a.m. so that the judge can review Peterson’s probation report from San Quentin State Prison.

He will likely be transferred to the San Mateo County Jail within the next couple weeks. The district attorney has made sure that Peterson will not be granted bail when he arrives as an inmate in Redwood City.

I would hope he will finally take responsibility for the murders of his wife and unborn son. Maybe beg for mercy and forgiveness from Laci's loved ones.

I doubt that will happen though.

I would hope he will finally take responsibility for the murders of his wife and unborn son. Maybe beg for mercy and forgiveness from Laci's loved ones.

I doubt that will happen though.
he is still professing his innocence, IMO he will never admit guilt, so far he has moved his case from DP to LWOP, and a new hearing is going to look into him getting a possible new trial due to juror issues in February 2022, why would he suddenly say he did it,

just getting off death row is a big win for him. He will be moved to San Matteo County jail for the time being until 2022, what happens after that depends on whether he gets a new trial.

Last edited:
Wednesday, November 17th:
*Review Hearing (re probation report) (Stanislaus & San Mateo County) (@ 10am PT) – CA – Laci Denise Peterson (27) & Connor (unborn) (missing Dec. 24, 2002, Modesto; found April 13, 2003 in the San Francisco Bay) - *Scott Lee Peterson (30 @ time of crime/now 47) convicted & found guilty (11/12/04) of 1st degree murder (Laci) & 2nd degree murder(son) & sentenced (3/16/05) to the death penalty.
He was found guilty on 11/12/04 of the 1st degree murder of his pregnant wife, Laci, & the 2nd degree murder of their unborn son, Connor, & in 2005, he was sentenced to death by lethal injection. His case is currently on automatic appeal to the Supreme Court of California. Sits on San Quentin's death row. Calif. Supreme Court denied a new trial in the guilt phase but reversed the death penalty sentence for Stanislaus County. Also the San Mateo Superior Court will now consider whether there was jury misconduct. Stanislaus County district attorney’s office said it won’t seek the death penalty if there is a new trial.

Court info from 5/14/20 thru 10/6/21 reference post #220 here:

10/20/21 Update: During the nearly hour-long hearing on Wednesday, Peterson’s attorneys and prosecutors also argued over whether lawyers with Habeas Corpus Resource Center could stay on as his counsel for Peterson’s new trial. Peterson was denied bail ahead of a December hearing where he will be re-sentenced to life without the possibility of parole, Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo ruled Wednesday. Prosecutors on Wednesday said since Peterson is no longer facing death, his appellate attorneys should no longer be able to represent him because, by law, they only handle death penalty cases. Michael J. Hersek, executive director of the Habeas Corpus Resource Center, which has represented Peterson in his appeal, said the lower court judge does not have the jurisdiction to determine if Peterson’s attorneys should be vacated from the case. The judge ordered Peterson’s attorneys to speak to their client to determine if he would agree to sign a "waiver of irregularities" that could allow them to stay on as his counsel. Both sides will come back on 11/10/21 to discuss the waiver issue. Formal sentencing to ‘life without the possibility of parole’ on 12/8/21.
11/10/21 Update: On Wednesday, Peterson appeared via a live video feed from San Quentin while Stanislaus County District Attorney Birgit Fladager, defense attorney Pat Harris & Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo sparred over who will be allowed inside the courtroom when Peterson is re-sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole. Judge Massullo said, “I have to follow the rules of this courtroom. That’s six feet of distance & masks. That leaves very few options for the court.” The judge said she plans to have 16 seats for Laci’s supporters, 6 seats for Peterson’s supporters & the remaining 15 seats for the public & media combined. A lottery system will be used to decide who sits in those 15 seats. In addition to preparing for the sentencing hearing, on Wednesday Judge Massullo set a date for an evidentiary hearing as part of Peterson’s battle for a whole new murder trial. The evidentiary hearing will begin on 1/25/22 & end on 3/4/22. There will be about 5 hours of testimony each day. Nice will be called to the witness stand as the primary witness. Legal experts said Nice pleading the fifth will help strengthen Peterson’s case. Media cameras will not be allowed in the courtroom for the evidentiary hearing, the judge said. Peterson’s next court date is set for 11/17/21 at 10am so that the judge can review Peterson’s probation report from San Quentin State Prison. He will likely be transferred to the San Mateo County Jail within the next couple weeks. The district attorney has made sure that Peterson will not be granted bail when he arrives as an inmate in Redwood City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow