GUILTY CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 2 of Scott Peterson new trial hearing turns emotional during cross-examination of Richelle Nice

March 1, 2022
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- The hearing continued Monday to decide whether convicted murderer, Scott Peterson will get a new trial.
[.....]
Nice has been granted immunity from perjury, so she won't get in trouble if she lied on her jury questionnaire, but Scott Peterson could get a new trial if his attorneys prove she did.

Monday's hearing saw a continuation of her testimony from Friday.

Things turned emotional in court when Richelle Nice, started crying when asked about letters she wrote Peterson after the 2004 trial.
[.....]
Nice confirmed that she did write Peterson asking him "why men cheat," telling Peterson of a boyfriend she'd had who had cheated on her.
[.....]
Monday was the first day that prosecuting attorneys got to cross-examine Nice.

They asked her if she had any bias against Scott Peterson before the trial and during the jury selection process, she said no.

Nice was excused for the day, Monday, but subject for recall in case the court needs her back for more questioning.

The hearing will continue throughout the week. The judge will have up to 90 days after the hearing to announce her ruling, which can be appealed by either side.

Tuesday, March 1st:
*Evidentiary Hearings (Day 3 of 6) (for new trial-juror problem) (@ 10am PT) – CA – Laci Denise Peterson (27) & Connor (unborn) (missing Dec. 24, 2002, Modesto; found April 13, 2003 in the San Francisco Bay) - *Scott Lee Peterson (30 @ time of crime/31/now 49) convicted & found guilty (11/12/04) of 1st degree murder (Laci) & 2nd degree murder(son) & sentenced (3/16/05) to the death penalty.
He was found guilty on 11/12/04 of the 1st degree murder of his pregnant wife, Laci, & the 2nd degree murder of their unborn son, Connor, & in 2005, he was sentenced to death by lethal injection. His case is currently on automatic appeal to the Supreme Court of California. Sits on San Quentin's death row. Calif. Supreme Court denied a new trial in the guilt phase but reversed the death penalty sentence for Stanislaus County. Also the San Mateo Superior Court will now consider whether there was jury misconduct. Stanislaus County district attorney’s office said it won’t seek the death penalty if there is a new trial.
Re-Sentencing Hearing on 12/8/21. Peterson was moved to San Mateo County jail on 11/29/21 for sentencing hearing. Ordered Peterson to serve life in prison without the possibility of parole for the 1st degree murder of Laci & a concurrent sentence of 15 years to life for the 2nd degree murder of Conner.

Court info from 5/14/20 thru 2/25/22 reference post #281 here:
CA - District Attorney to retry Scott Peterson's Penalty Phase in Laci Peterson case, 2021 *Guilty*

2/28/22 Update: Day 2: Defense continued direct exam on Nice & Monday was the first day that prosecuting attorneys got to cross-examine Nice. They asked her if she had any bias against Peterson before the trial and during the jury selection process, she said no. Nice was excused for the day, Monday, but subject for recall in case the court needs her back for more questioning. The hearing will continue throughout the week. The judge will have up to 90 days after the hearing to announce her ruling, which can be appealed by either side. Evidentiary hearing continues on 3/1/22.

Another article for yesterday's hearing.

Juror testifies she regrets writing letters to Scott Peterson

edited to add - did not know this!

If Peterson’s lawyer was trying to make the point that Nice was a stealth juror who covered up her past to get on to the high profile trial, Stanislaus County prosecutor David Harris suggested that Peterson’s original lead attorney, Mark Geragos, might have known what he was getting with the prospective juror with bright red, dyed hair, tattoos and a brother in prison. The judge had initially dismissed her when she said her employer would only pay wages for two weeks of the multi-month trial, Dave Harris pointed out, but Geragos pulled her back.

and edited again - :) to add this from article:

Several more witnesses are expected to take the stand this week, including journalists who covered the case nearly two decades ago. Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo will have three months to decide whether to overturn the conviction and order a new trial.

Another article for yesterday's hearing.

Juror testifies she regrets writing letters to Scott Peterson

edited to add - did not know this!

If Peterson’s lawyer was trying to make the point that Nice was a stealth juror who covered up her past to get on to the high profile trial, Stanislaus County prosecutor David Harris suggested that Peterson’s original lead attorney, Mark Geragos, might have known what he was getting with the prospective juror with bright red, dyed hair, tattoos and a brother in prison. The judge had initially dismissed her when she said her employer would only pay wages for two weeks of the multi-month trial, Dave Harris pointed out, but Geragos pulled her back.

and edited again - :) to add this from article:

Several more witnesses are expected to take the stand this week, including journalists who covered the case nearly two decades ago. Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo will have three months to decide whether to overturn the conviction and order a new trial.

I had no idea she sent him a letter asking him why he cheated and telling him she had a boyfriend who cheated--- Dear Lord---
SMH!

Scott Peterson lawyer can't shake juror testimony over trial
Nice said she doesn’t recall a fellow juror’s account that when she joined the jury in deliberations she declared that “We should get Scott for what he did to Laci and ‘little man.’ ”

“It doesn’t sound like something I would say, but I have no idea,” she said. “I don’t remember this.”

I find it interesting that Nice doesn't deny saying this only that she doesn't remember. Is this enough to convince the judge she was biased? I don't know. JMO.

Here's an article on yesterday's hearing.

Juror in Scott Peterson murder trial an "emotional wreck," ex-juror testifies

Mar. 1, 2022
REDWOOD CITY – When the alternate juror first walked into the deliberations room nearly 18 years ago, she blurted out that Scott Peterson, on trial for the killing of his pregnant wife and unborn son, should “pay for killing the little man,” a former juror in the notorious case testified Tuesday.
[.....]
In an effort to convince a San Mateo County judge to overturn Peterson’s 2004 murder conviction and order a new trial, his lawyers tried to show Tuesday that controversial juror Richelle Nice was biased against him from the start and showed an unusual attachment to the unborn child by calling him “little man.”

Also Tuesday, the judge postponed until March 24 the remainder of the evidentiary hearing that was supposed to end this week, giving Peterson’s lawyers more time to determine whether Nice first discussed a book deal before the trial concluded.

When the hearing concludes, Judge Anne-Christine Massullo will have 90 days to decide whether to grant Peterson a new trial, which would bring renewed attention to a blockbuster case that became a national obsession and drew nearly 1,000 people to the courthouse steps to cheer the verdict.
[.....]
Nice spent Friday and Monday on the witness stand defending herself from accusations that she hid her history of domestic violence issues to get on the trial. Although her then-boyfriend pled no contest to domestic abuse charges a couple of years before the Peterson trial, she testified that she was the aggressor and never considered herself a victim.
[.....]
Under questioning, Beratlis said that Nice seemed to enjoy the attention she received coming and going from the Redwood City courthouse. The seven-month trial had been moved from Modesto where the Petersons lived because of pretrial publicity.
[.....]
Under cross examination from Dave Harris, Stanislaus County’s senior deputy district attorney, Beratlis acknowledged that a number of jurors were emotional during the trial that involved the killing of a 27-year-old woman who was eight-months pregnant.

March 16th next hearing status conference

The article says March 24 - ?? Do you know "where" the March 16th came from?
TIA! :)

another article

Juror Says Scott Peterson 'Should ... Pay' In Death Of Unborn Son

snip...

That seemingly is contradicted by anticipated testimony from documentary producer Shareen Anderson, who had been expected to testify Tuesday.

Her testimony and that of her cameraman on the television documentary “The Murder of Laci Peterson” will now be delayed until March 24 and 25 to give Peterson’s attorneys time to subpoena Anderson’s records from the filming.

and this one

Juror: Peterson ‘Should … Pay' in Death of Unborn Son

snip...

That seemingly is contradicted by anticipated testimony from documentary producer Shareen Anderson, who had been expected to testify Tuesday.

Her testimony and that of her cameraman on the television documentary “The Murder of Laci Peterson” will now be delayed until March 24 and 25 to give Peterson’s attorneys time to subpoena Anderson's records from the filming.

So I will put the hearing on 3/24... :)

@joe jones - Unless of course you can find an article or from the court site that says March 16th - I shall change my notes. ;)

March 16th was mentioned in court yesterday, on the audio feed, maybe they have changed it but I was sure I heard 16th

Thanks for that info - and shoot - can't access the link... Does it have the times on there? TIA! :)
FUTURE HEARING DATES:

Status Conference:

Date: March 16, 2022
Time: 10:00 a.m.
400 County Center, Redwood City, CA 94063
Hall of Justice, 2nd Floor, Courtroom 2K
Stream Audio of Hearing
: Click to view Information (no video stream will be available)

Continued Evidentiary Hearing

Date: March 24, 2022 - March 25, 2022
Time: 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
400 County Center, Redwood City, CA 94063
Hall of Justice, 2nd Floor, Courtroom 2K
Stream Audio of Hearing
: Click to view Information (no video stream will be available)

No one knew anything about it until years after the trial. She never said anything about asking for an order of protection, or about being a crime victim, when she was questioned during jury selection.

So that is why the defense is now trying to get a RETRIAL---they claim that this juror lied, so she should be kicked from the jury and the verdict should be nullified.

The thing is, TWELVE jurors found him guilty. So what difference does it make that one juror decided that she was not really a victim of a crime, because the charges were dropped. How would that make him unfairly found guilty by her?

Playing devil’s advocate, here. I suppose she might have been incredibly persuasive during the deliberations. Not too likely, I’d guess.

No one knew anything about it until years after the trial. She never said anything about asking for an order of protection, or about being a crime victim, when she was questioned during jury selection.

So that is why the defense is now trying to get a RETRIAL---they claim that this juror lied, so she should be kicked from the jury and the verdict should be nullified.

The thing is, TWELVE jurors found him guilty. So what difference does it make that one juror decided that she was not really a victim of a crime, because the charges were dropped. How would that make him unfairly found guilty by her?
I think the idea is that if the defense knew more about her background they would have bounced her and selected another juror who "may" have voted not guilty bringing a hung jury.

Then the state would have had to retry the case with another jury which is what the defense is trying to do now. JMO.

Former Juror Richelle Nice Grilled Over Book Deal, Prison Letters To Scott Peterson

I read that she wrote several letters to him: I cannot understand for the life of me why she would do such a thing. IMO she is not all there.
she has some issues definitely, but what she did after the trial, has nothing to do with the jury questionnaire she filled out. It is very rare to get a murder conviction overturned in California or any state, I don't see it happening at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow