CA CA - Lauralyn Palmer, 71, missing while walking her dog, Shasta County, 20 Apr 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

cybervampira

Reaction score
71-year-old Shasta Co. woman remains missing after taking dog for walk

FALL RIVER MILLS, Calif. —

The Shasta County Sheriff's Office will resume their search for a missing Fall River Mills woman early Tuesday morning.

In a press release Monday evening, the sheriff's office said the ongoing large scale search has included assistance from Lake County Sheriff's Office, Mendocino County Sheriff's Office, Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office and Butte County Sheriff's Office.
5341e7182c76f64ba6e7c60500f65182.jpg

Lauralyn Palmer, 71, has been missing since Friday afternoon.

(Original version of this story below)

The Shasta County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help in locating Lauralyn Palmer, 71.

According to officials, Palmer took her dog on a walk in a wooded area southeast of her home, which is in the 23000 block of Cassel Fall River Road, around 4:30 p.m. Friday

Palmer is 5-foot 2-inches tall, about 140 pounds with gray hair and wears glasses. According to Palmer’s husband, she may be suffering from the early stages of dementia.

After a search of the area with the help of Palmer’s neighbors and friends, deputies were unable to locate Palmer. The Shasta County Search and Rescue was activated and numerous resources were deployed to the area to aid in the search for Palmer.

The Shasta County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s assistance in locating Lauralyn Palmer.

If anyone was in the area of Cassel Fall River Road near Shoshoni Loop and saw Palmer, deputies are asking them to contact the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office immediately. Calls can be placed 24 hours a day at 530-245-6540.

Article: http://krcrtv.com/news/shasta-county/71-year-old-shasta-co-woman-missing-after-taking-dog-for-walk
Shasta County Sheriff‘s Office post: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1964892847097547&id=1527637610823075

Update: Officials find dog last seen with missing Fall River Mills woman

FALL RIVER MILLS, Calif. — The Shasta County Sheriff's Office has found the dog last seen with the missing Fall River Mills woman, Lauralyn Palmer, 71.

Officials said Palmer took the dog on a walk in a wooded area southeast of her home, which in the 23000 block of Cassel Fall River Road, around 4:30 p.m. Friday and has not been seen or heard from since.

The Shasta County Sheriff's Office resumed their search for Palmer Tuesday morning with assistance from the Lake County Sheriff's Office, Mendocino County Sheriff's Office, Sisikyou County Sheriff's Office, and the Butte County Sheriff's Office.

[...]

http://krcrtv.com/news/shasta-count...last-seen-with-fall-river-mills-missing-woman

[h=1]Fall River Mills woman still missing but community holds on to hope as dog is found[/h]
"At Roughly 12-12:30 this afternoon we were notified that the dog did return to the residence so we're following up on leads with that right now. What I was told is the dog wasn't injured and appeared healthy," said Shasta County Sheriff's Office Sergeant Chris Edwards.

Sergeant Edwards said the dog's return also brings concern, as Lyn may still be out there.
Because of the flat topography it could get kind of confusing. It does look the same at least the areas that I was in. You can see behind me if you were to get out there a mile or two it would all pretty much look the same," said Edwards. Edwards added the terrain is rough and full of lava rock.

The Pit River is also near Lyn's home but it is located a mile or two in the opposite direction in which she was last seen walking. However, Sgt. Edwards said they are not ruling anything out as far as what may have happened to Lyn.

People close to the Shasta County woman, along with her husband, say they noticed Lyn was exhibiting early signs of dementia but they are still very hopeful she will be home soon.

"You know people that just casually knew her or came in as customers wouldn't notice so much but I worked with her every day and we could see some signs that she was changing," Kandie Dekker explained. Dekker has volunteered alongside Lyn for years at the Mayers Memorial Hospital Thrift Store.
http://krcrtv.com/news/shasta-count...ll-missing-but-dog-brings-home-a-sign-of-hope

Deputies suspend search for missing Fall River Mills woman

After five days of searching, deputies with the Shasta County Sheriff's Office have called off the search for a Fall River Mills woman who went missing after taking a dog for a walk last week.

[...]

Deputies said volunteers and numerous agencies helped in their search for Palmer, but because there were no positive leads, they've decided to call off the search until new leads are developed.
Investigators said the dog, Lucy returned home on its own and was in good condition.
Palmer is 5 feet, 2 inches tall, weighs about 140 pounds, has gray hair, and wears glasses.
Anyone with information about Palmer is asked to call SHASCOM dispatch at 530-245-6540.

https://www.redding.com/story/news/...rch-missing-fall-river-mills-woman/553875002/

Her family is not giving up. This has taken a strange turn. It IS possible she got into a vehicle.

https://anewscafe.com/2018/04/27/re...nds-family-and-neighbors-continue-the-search/
Family, friends and neighbors are continuing the effort, and last evening, a group of family and friends went door to door in our area, answering questions, distributing flyers, and updating information.

That update included the information that a scent dog followed Palmer's trail from her home for about a quarter of a mile through the boonies then onto a road that led to Fall River/Cassel Road, another quarter of a mile. At that point, her trail abruptly stopped, leading to the belief that she got into a car.

Her son, one of the door-to-door volunteers, said that she would never willingly get into a stranger's car, even though she has mild dementia.

Her son also said that the situation will now probably change from finding a lost person to becoming a missing-person issue. Since this might be an abduction, we have been cautioned to employ the buddy system when walking in our rural area.

A "no-news" update:

http://krcrtv.com/news/shasta-county/family-still-looking-for-missing-fall-river-mills-woman

FALL RIVER MILLS, Calif. — The family of Lauralyn Palmer is still searching for her in the woods around her home in Fall River Mills.
Palmer was reported as missing on April 21. According to officials, 71-year-old Lauralyn "Lyn" Palmer, took a family dog on a walk in a wooded area southeast of her home, which is in the 23000 block of Cassel Fall River Road
While the dog was found days later, the official search was suspended on April 26 after no evidence of Palmer was found.

Palmer is 5-foot-2-inches tall, about 140 pounds with gray hair and wears glasses.

I am a family member of Lyn. I just want to thank all of you for taking an interest in her case. I happened by this thread doing a search for any new local news about her. That is the only reason I signed up here. I really appreciate all of your time, even if you think it is something small, that someone made a thread for her here. We think about her every day and hope she is found or comes home. Again thanks for thinking of her.

I am a family member of Lyn. I just want to thank all of you for taking an interest in her case. I happened by this thread doing a search for and y new local news about her. That is the only reason I signed up here. I really appreciate all of your time, even if you think it is something small, that someone made a thread for her here. We think about her every day and hope she is found or comes home. Again thanks for thinking of her.
Thank you for signing up. I‘m so sorry she hasn‘t been found yet. It‘s good to know you care so much for her.

I hope her dog is fine, I‘m sure it would love her to return as well.

All the best for you!

Thank you very much. The dog is still doing well from what I understand, they take her out walking to see if maybe she can point them in the right direction. It sucks when the only witness to whatever happened is unable to communicate. Again I really do appreciate all of you keeping this thread up to date and for all of you taking an interest. Any visibility is good at this point. If I get any news that I am allowed to post I will keep everyone updated. Take care all and thank you.

I am a family member of Lyn. I just want to thank all of you for taking an interest in her case. I happened by this thread doing a search for any new local news about her. That is the only reason I signed up here. I really appreciate all of your time, even if you think it is something small, that someone made a thread for her here. We think about her every day and hope she is found or comes home. Again thanks for thinking of her.

Welcome Hanyuu. I'm so sorry your family member being missing is what brought you here but you have found a great community of people who care and want to help. Have you tried contacting hospitals and homeless shelters in the area? Dementia is such a heartbreaking thing to deal with (I know form personal family experience). Maybe she is in the care of someone but unable to tell them her name? My heart goes out to your family. I hope Lauralyn is found soon.

I have just started following this sad story. As I am in Australia and unfamiliar with this area, is the Pit River in walking distance from Lauralyn's house? If so, has the option of dredging parts of the river been discussed? Also, on the Facebook page, Looking for Lyn, it mentioned about a small group of partying campers nearby the night of when Lyn went missing. Have the police questioned them to if they saw anybody that night or anything unusual? Are there any caves around where Lyn went walking and could have sheltered?

Welcome Hanyuu. I'm so sorry your family member being missing is what brought you here but you have found a great community of people who care and want to help. Have you tried contacting hospitals and homeless shelters in the area? Dementia is such a heartbreaking thing to deal with (I know form personal family experience). Maybe she is in the care of someone but unable to tell them her name? My heart goes out to your family. I hope Lauralyn is found soon.
Thanks for the welcome. I believe the authorities probably did all of that? I asked those same questions of my mom who lives up there too in the same town as Lyn. I was not able to be up there in the early stages of her disappearance but I will be going up in two weeks. Her Dementia is still not so bad that she can't remember who she is or how to get back to her house (unless maybe the dog ran off and it got really dark. They live in a rural town, not a lot of light pollution like a big city) as the dog she took out for a walk she had walked two other times earlier that week with no problems. She just forgets things. It is really hard to say what could have happened to her. It is possible she could have gone in a car with someone that she knew (as her scent seemed to stop at the highway). But I don't think she would have gotten into a stranger's car.

I have just started following this sad story. As I am in Australia and unfamiliar with this area, is the Pit River in walking distance from Lauralyn's house? If so, has the option of dredging parts of the river been discussed? Also, on the Facebook page, Looking for Lyn, it mentioned about a small group of partying campers nearby the night of when Lyn went missing. Have the police questioned them to if they saw anybody that night or anything unusual? Are there any caves around where Lyn went walking and could have sheltered?
Because I don't live up there, I am not sure of the distance of her house to the Pit River. I know some people did talk about the possibility of dredging a river. I don't believe there are any caves near her house, but again, I am not super familiar with the area. They had the local search and rescue up there for like 3 days I think? Plus the community up there has also been looking for her, some of them daily still even now. As far as a group of campers, I am not sure if they were questioned. I think this is the first I am hearing of this (I am terrible with facebook and I normally don't use it so it is possible I miss things). I can ask my mom though. I did tell her about this website and about this thread, maybe she can come post here too if she feels like it.

Thanks for the welcome. I believe the authorities probably did all of that? <snipped for focus>

Don't count on the authorities to check hospitals and shelters. They may do a cursory check once or twice depending on the police force/area (every LE dept works missing cases a bit differently). From what I have seen from other cases here it is up to the family to be advocates for the missing person and do checks of those facilities themselves. I know Redding is a different area completely from Los Angeles but there is a case of a missing woman in LA that walked away from her family while they were visiting a museum. Nancy Paulikas is her name and she has early Alzheimers/dementia. Her family believes she is still alive but possibly in a an assisted living facility somewhere as a Jane Doe. Privacy laws make it difficult to find out. Her family has been pounding the pavements going to each facility with posters of Nancy to check. Police don't have the time or resources to do this. I recommend reading up on Nancy's case as it may help you get new ideas on how to search for Lauralyn. Here are a couple articles on what Nancy's family and police think may have happened to her:
She vanished 18 months ago with no leads. Now, a volunteer cop has a troubling theory about what happened to her
Where is Nancy Paulikas?
This video news segment recaps Nancy's family member's search for her: Where's Nancy?: A Man Searches for His Wife Who Disappeared at an L.A. Museum
Here is Nancy's WS thread: CA - CA - Nancy Paulikas, 55, Los Angeles, 15 Oct 2016

I hope this is helpful to you. I know it is overwhelming, but your family will have to be as active as possible in searching and plead with the public for help. I'm on the East coast so I can't offer much as far as local resources but I know there are many California posters on here that may have other ideas to help your search.

Don't count on the authorities to check hospitals and shelters. They may do a cursory check once or twice depending on the police force/area (every LE dept works missing cases a bit differently). From what I have seen from other cases here it is up to the family to be advocates for the missing person and do checks of those facilities themselves. I know Redding is a different area completely from Los Angeles but there is a case of a missing woman in LA that walked away from her family while they were visiting a museum. Nancy Paulikas is her name and she has early Alzheimers/dementia. Her family believes she is still alive but possibly in a an assisted living facility somewhere as a Jane Doe. Privacy laws make it difficult to find out. Her family has been pounding the pavements going to each facility with posters of Nancy to check. Police don't have the time or resources to do this. I recommend reading up on Nancy's case as it may help you get new ideas on how to search for Lauralyn. Here are a couple articles on what Nancy's family and police think may have happened to her:
She vanished 18 months ago with no leads. Now, a volunteer cop has a troubling theory about what happened to her
Where is Nancy Paulikas?
This video news segment recaps Nancy's family member's search for her: Where's Nancy?: A Man Searches for His Wife Who Disappeared at an L.A. Museum
Here is Nancy's WS thread: CA - CA - Nancy Paulikas, 55, Los Angeles, 15 Oct 2016

I hope this is helpful to you. I know it is overwhelming, but your family will have to be as active as possible in searching and plead with the public for help. I'm on the East coast so I can't offer much as far as local resources but I know there are many California posters on here that may have other ideas to help your search.
Thank you very much. I will forward this to my mom, she might find this helpful. I will be in Redding (that is where I have to fly in to get to Fall River Mills) in a couple weeks, maybe we can visit the homeless shelter there and see if we can talk to anyone and show her picture around. It is unfortunate but her sons and her husband I feel like are starting to give up. I know they have done what they can, to the point of exhaustion. Thanks very much for these articles, it might give new life into what they might feel is a hopeless situation. I truly appreciate everyone's help and support here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Child in Time
Back