Found Deceased CA - Lifei Huang, 22, hiking on Mount Baldy, 4 Feb 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

ifindedout

Reaction score
The missing woman was identified as Lisei Huang, 22, from El Monte, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.

On Sunday, Feb. 4, deputies received a call about the missing hiker at around 11:14 p.m.

Huang headed out on a solo hike at around 2 p.m. that day. Hours later, however, loved ones had not heard from her.

At around 2:30 a.m. early Monday morning, search and rescue crews headed up the mountain to search for Huang, but she was not located.

She's not one of these three rescued from the mountain:
The hikers, all of whom LASD said are experienced mountaineers, got lost on Mt. Baldy’s Bear Canyon Trail after running out of daylight and being unable to locate the trail at 8,200 feet.

[...]

On Feb. 5, at around 1 p.m., the trio was located between two rocks they used to shelter themselves against overnight winds of 50 miles per hour at an elevation of 8,400 feet.

[...]

Officials with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department are still searching for a 22-year-old El Monte woman who has been reported missing after going on a solo hike on Mt. Baldy on Feb. 4.

This site was down for maintenance during my last post, but I use this NOAA website a lot. When open, go to the left sidebar where it says "National Reflectivity Mosciac". You will see the current radar for the whole country at the present time. Time is in Universal time, so for me in Chicago it's 1:23 (1323 in military time) here, and the map would show 1923 as the time as we add six hours in the Central Time Zone.. Enter a date or time in the boxes and click on the box that says "update map". (Note: when you get to 2400 on the clock even though it's still the same "day" you'd have to select the NEXT calendar day starting at 0000 to see the map for that time - for example at 10 pm (2200) in Chicago today the 7th would be shown on the map as 0400 on the 8th).

You can click on part of the US map to enlarge that area as much as you'd like. Looking at when she went missing on the 4th at 2 in the afternoon the building storm system would have been over her very quickly.

The missing woman was identified as Lisei Huang, 22, from El Monte, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.

On Sunday, Feb. 4, deputies received a call about the missing hiker at around 11:14 p.m.

Huang headed out on a solo hike at around 2 p.m. that day. Hours later, however, loved ones had not heard from her.

At around 2:30 a.m. early Monday morning, search and rescue crews headed up the mountain to search for Huang, but she was not located.

2pm is awfully late to start a hike in the winter when it gets dark early, especially considering the bad weather too. Certainly not conditions I'd want to hike in.

"More than 20 inches of snow fell in the Mt. Baldy area this week alone, according to the National Weather Service."

There was so much news about being prepared for the incoming storm.
Even the feature on the phone had warnings before it started.
El Monte is the town south of me.
There is no way I can fathom that this woman was unaware and did not check the weather conditions up the hill.
Did she not tell anyone she was going because she did not want to be talked out of it?
So many searchers in danger just looking for her.
It is POURING right now, and is much colder today. There was another red flood warning alert across Jeopardy tonight.

Wednesday's search efforts were also called off due to avalanche activity in the area, but volunteers were posted at trailheads in the event that conditions lessened.

"I think she got lost when she hiking alone," said Huang's sister, Ally Zhang. "Yesterday we went to like two very deep locations. ... We didn't find anything."

Zhang says that her sister usually has everything prepared when she goes for hikes.

Deputies urged people to refrain from mountain activities due to the severe weather, which has "effectively buried the mountain in snow."

Her name has been misspelled in MSM, it should be Lifei Huang.
The missing woman, Lifei Huang, 22, from El Monte, was last seen on Feb. 4, when she headed out on a solo hike at around 2 p.m. that day.

[...]

Cherry Li, a friend, describes Huang as an adventurous hiker who often likes to journey trailheads alone. Before she headed out on her Sunday hike, Huang texted a group of friends to let them know of her plans that day.

At 1:59 p.m., she sent a video to her boyfriend showing her approaching the trail parking lot on her way into the mountain.

She posted several other videos to her social media page showing a frosty trail and rain coming down as she hummed a song during her hike.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/07/us/california-hiker-still-missing-mount-baldy/index.html

Lifei Huang, 22, set out for a solo hike at 2 p.m. on Sunday and has not been heard from since 4 p.m. that day. West Valley Search and Rescue began recovery efforts at 2:30 a.m. Monday, but have been limited by “extremely heavy snowfall” and “avalanche risks,” according to a Tuesday news release from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.

Snipped...
...Her friends became concerned by Sunday night when she still hadn’t called or returned home yet.

“We didn’t go on the trail but we tried,” Li said tearfully. “We couldn’t do anything because we needed professional help. We got her location early in the hike from a ping from the “Find My Location” [app] and that’s all we have.”

She left at 2 pm, not even half a day.
I wonder what her plan was. Most of the trails on Mt. Baldy are 8+ miles long. With sunset around 5:30 at this time of year, in almost any scenario she would have still been on the mountain after dark.

Night hiking in winter during a snowstorm is perilous even for the most experienced.

Too many young women going missing while hiking.:( Praying she was able to find shelter and is found safe!
For me, I haven't noticed any difference in the genders who go missing, maybe half and half. And note, the several who went missing on Baldy around the same time as Sands, were all men.

The group that was rescued on Mount Baldy over the weekend had their winter essentials (tent and sleeping bags), so they were in a lot better position to survive. I'll bet they had at least one stove, too. They were likely experienced if they had all that equipment. Even if they might not have made the best decision in going out in that weather (I don't know either way), they definitely attended to their risk.

It sounded like Lifei's friends quickly realized when they went to look for her that they'd need help. Good for them not creating an additional un-survivable emergency. Very sensible. But the conditions they encountered don't give me much hope for the missing hiker.

Last edited:
I wonder what her plan was. Most of the trails on Mt. Baldy are 8+ miles long. With sunset around 5:30 at this time of year, in almost any scenario she would have still been on the mountain after dark.

Night hiking in winter during a snowstorm is perilous even for the most experienced.
The snow would have obscured the trail, anyway. And we haven't heard if she was carrying snowshoes.

Sands got completely turned around and went off trail up a canyon, and, though he had a reputation for taking extreme risks (as he did on the day of his last trip, by not wearing crampons, as the sheriff said were required for the conditions; although the sheriff also warned folks not to go out), he was experienced. Yet, still, He was found in an obscure place. IIRC hikers just happened upon him sometime during the summer, so it's not like he was, so to speak, "on the beaten path".
Anyway, IMO the whole Sands episode should have been warning to anyone who thought about going up there in these conditions.

Last edited:
Snipped for focus.

Not happening. You'd be completely disoriented, maybe not even knowing what's up from what's down, very limited visibility, the trail disappeared into fresh snow. You could be up to your thighs, with wind blowing all around. And you'd be spooked out of your duff. Wet and freezing. A whiteout is a terrifying and dangerous experience. That's why the group who went missing the same day hunkered down for the night. But they had the equipment to do so. And I very much doubt they were 22. Still, they had to be hiked out by SAR (IIRC they couldn't see the trail).

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back