CA CA - Linda Miller, 19, San Rafael, July 1973

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
LAMiller.jpg
LAMiller1.jpg

[h=1]Linda Ann Miller[/h] Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: July 1, 1973
Location Last Seen: San Rafael, Marin Co, California

[h=5]Physical Description[/h] ** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.
Date of Birth: July 3, 1954
Age at Time of Disappearance: 19
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 64 inchs
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 112 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): None

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available
[h=5]Clothing & Personal Items[/h] Clothing: Unknown

Jewelry: Unknown

Additional Personal Items: Unknown

[h=5]Circumstances of Disappearance[/h] In 2001, Linda Miller was reported missing by her sister. She reported that Linda Miller went to Guadalajara, Mexico in July 1973 with a male friend possibly named "Cary Kristal" and she never returned.

[h=5]Investigating Agency(s)[/h] If you have any information about this case please contact;
Agency Name: Marin County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Edmund Rudolph
Agency Phone Number: 415-499-7278

Agency Case Number: SO01-6009
NamUs Case Number: MP #11802
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

[h=5]Information Source(s)[/h] NamUs

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3087dfca.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11802/

CA – Linda Anne Miller, NA/F, 18, San Rafael, Marin County, 18 Aug 1972

Linda Anne Miller
Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Missing From: San Rafael, Marin County, California (Guadalajara, MX)

Physical/Clothing/Medical
Race:
White / Native American
Sex: Female
DOB: 1954
Height: 5’4” (64”)
Weight: 112 lbs.
Hair: Brown, Long and straight
Eye Color: Brown
Clothing:
Jewelry:
Characteristics
/Medical/Scars:
Transportation:
Fingerprint Status
: Not Available
Dental Status: Available
DNA Status: Available

Circumstances:
Linda Anne Miller (18) of 60 Marina Court and her friend Cary Kristal (19) left for a Mexican vacation on August 18th, 1972 the pair failed to return on September 8th, 1972 as planned.

Linda and Cary had planned to enroll for the fall semester at Marin College.

Mexican authorities believe Linda may have died in a rooming house fire in Mexico City. Linda’s stepfather stated they may be in a Mexican jail and that he had not heard from her since receiving a letter from Guadalajara, MX in early September.

San Rafael LE sent Linda’s dental records to Mexican authorities to use for comparison but had not receive a reply as of Dec 1972.

Linda was reported missing by her sister in 2001. She reported that Linda had went to Guadalajara, Mexico in July 1973 with a male friend possibly named “Cary Kristal”. Linda has not been heard from nor seen since.

Investigating Agencies:
Marin County Sheriff’s Department
3501 Civic Center Drive, RM 145
San Rafael, CA. 94903
Tele: 415.499.7278
MP Case # SO01-6009
Web: Missing / Wanted Persons - Marin County Sheriff's Office

Information Sources:
NAMUS
MP Case # 11802: Missing Person Case
Case Manager: Allison O’Neal
Tele: 817.372.4169
E-Mail: Allison.ONeal@unthsc.edu

The Doe Network
MP Case # 3087DFCA - The Doe Network: Linda Ann Miller - 3087DFCA

News
10/16/72 – Daily Independent Journal, 2 Marinites Missing in Mexico
12/28/72 – Daily Independent Journal, Two Youths Still Missing in Mexico

Lots of questions with this case. I tried to google the friend, Cary Kristal, with whom Linda supposedly traveled to Mexico. I found an obituary for a Harold Kristal who had a dental practice in Richmond in the late 40's (20 minutes from San Rafael) and a son, Cary, who "preceded him in death." This could have been the "Cary" who might have been with Linda since that name's quite unusual. No missing info for him, though.

This is sad, I wonder if the family thought she was on a missing file at the time, otherwise it seems a long gap from 1979 to 2001 to report. Seems to me that Cary Kristal also is likely still missing.
upload_2019-1-2_12-25-28.jpeg

I remember that I read about an unidentified couple, found in I believe in CA. The girl has her own file, there was no separate John Doe file. I have to go back on that and check if it would fit the stats or timeline. I remember he had a tattoo of Ankh en an earing of Ankh was found on his body.

I found Jane Doe again but she was found in 1980. I think a too big time gap.

Last edited:
Lots of questions with this case. I tried to google the friend, Cary Kristal, with whom Linda supposedly traveled to Mexico. I found an obituary for a Harold Kristal who had a dental practice in Richmond in the late 40's (20 minutes from San Rafael) and a son, Cary, who "preceded him in death." This could have been the "Cary" who might have been with Linda since that name's quite unusual. No missing info for him, though.

Thanks, maybe somebody with access to an genealogy site can find out more or even make a link with the address 36 Royal Court.

There is Harold Kristal buried in 1999, but that's no relative. Considering the Christian names mentioned in the above obituary, in combination with the surname Kristal, this family (and also could be Cary) was probably Jewish.

There is Harold Kristal buried in 1999, but that's no relative. Considering the Christian names mentioned in the above obituary, in combination with the surname Kristal, this family (and also could be Cary) was probably Jewish.
The obituary I found was for Dr. Harold J. Kristal, who died in 2005. He was born in 1925 in Joliet, IL, the son of Abraham and Esther Kristal. I don't think we're looking at the same obituary.

The obituary I found was for Dr. Harold J. Kristal, who died in 2005. He was born in 1925 in Joliet, IL, the son of Abraham and Esther Kristal. I don't think we're looking at the same obituary.

I know, it's a different Harold, no direct family of Cary. Don't know why I posted it...sorry. Then I referred to your post about Dr. Harold J. Kristal (saying "the above obituary") It's obvious that if this was Cary's father that the family was Jewish.

Hello,
I recently got a membership to Classmates.com which is a website for older yearbooks. I found a yearbook photo of a senior from the class of 1972 in West Valley High School in California. Which may be a picture of Linda Miller missing from San Rafael, California in 1973 (with a male companion). If this is her
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
The Doe Network: Linda Ann Miller - 3087DFCA
Missing: Linda Ann Miller - Defrosting Cold Cases

Classmates - Find your school, yearbooks and alumni online -If you don't have a membership you may not be able to see this page so I screenshot it titled WVHS Linda Miller

Attachments

• Linda Miller 1972 (Missing 1973).png
    Linda Miller 1972 (Missing 1973).png
    199.7 KB · Views: 95
  • WVHS Linda Miller.png
    WVHS Linda Miller.png
    572 KB · Views: 92
  • linda Miller 2.jpg
    linda Miller 2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 104
  • linda Miller 3.jpg
    linda Miller 3.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 81
To supplement the press articles, here are two declassified State Dept. cables (cable 1, cable 2) that indicate the US embassy in Mexico City and consulates in Guadalajara and Hermosillo were made aware that Miller and her companion were missing. It looks like one of their parents contacted Congressman William Maillard, who represented Marin until 1974; Maillard, in turn, sent notice directly to the office of the Secretary of State in DC. I'd guess the reporting party were the Millers, as the cable is filed under her name and the body text suggests Kristal's* photo was an additional enclosure.

Unfortunately for Miller, the original cable is received in Mexico on Sept. 11, 1973, which is the same day the Chilean military overthrew Salvador Allende. All U.S. diplomatic staff posted to Latin America were in chaos for the next few months (if not years) as the coup intensified. Mexico received a large number of political exiles and the U.S. devoted a significant amount of consular resources to keeping tabs on these individuals. The office of the Secretary was similarly upended by the coup, as then Sec. Will Rogers did not support the coup (as orchestrated) and was replaced on Sept. 22 by Henry Kissinger, who...well, never lost a minute of sleep over the violence that ensued. On top of that, the guy directly tasked with keeping an eye out for them in Guadalajara was himself kidnapped in May 1973 (cable here, NYT article here).

This is to say that I'm not surprised in the least that State dropped the ball on their whereabouts. But I'm also unconvinced that their political leanings were intense enough to get them into a tremendous amount of trouble, because State would have raised a red flag. State did send officials into Lecumberri (Mexico City's famous prison) to assess the conditions and number of U.S. citizens in captivity. Miller and Kristal are not mentioned in these reports.

*The cables are not consistent in naming Kristal. He is referred to as Gary Kristal in one and with the spelling Krystal in another.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aicontrolling
Back