CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like what Tbone144 has said about dates maybe being important to someone.

We've got reports of shots this year on June 6 (Wednesday), June 18 (Monday) and June 22 (Friday), and June 6 of 2017.

Police want your help to figure out who killed a dad as he camped with his 2 young daughters -- and why - CNN
Beaudette was an associate director at the pharmaceutical company Allergan, according to his LinkedIn page.

There was a story on Yahoo Finance the other day that said Allergan was in the red for the past two years but had reduced the 'redness' by a huge amount in the past year. I have no idea what an associate director is or how TB's own work might have affected the profit/loss margins.

Link: Allergan plc’s (NYSE:AGN) Shift From Loss To Profit

I'm trying to look up some Allergan info at the moment, but it's kinda painful to my head.

There's some company financials info here if anyone is interested in doing some research from that angle

Allergan (NYSE:AGN) - Share price, News & Analysis

Also from the CNN link
"The safety of park visitors is our top priority," the department said in a statement. "The campground area at Malibu Creek State Park, which contains 63 sites, has been closed since Friday due to the investigation and will remain closed until further notice."

That suggests to me that they can't yet rule out someone taking potshots and narrow this down to a targeted killing. If they were already certain it was targeted, then I would see no reason to close down the park until further notice, instead of reopening after the forensics have been done. Although I suppose forensics would need to be done in multiple areas, the tent, the shooter position, and any routes the shooter could have taken in/out. But I don't see how that would cover all the campgrounds within the park.

I've messed up this post with the Allergan stuff stuck in the middle of the CNN article stuff, and I hurt my brain trying to contemplate the Allergan research so I now can't work out how to fix the mess I've made here.

I hear ya, cc! Just remember this, when LE says they have no evidence, it does not necessarily mean things aren't connected, just means they can't link it. Yet. (Or ever.) Agreed this is the initial stages of the investigation and there are many many tests that need to be completed and interpreted. ballistics, trajectories bla bla. It will be very interesting to see how this unfolds and if and when LE will use the words "we believe this to be the work of a random shooter." IF they do come back as serial shooter, well then I will have many comments on the short range aspect.

PS: I'm especially glad to see Hatfield here, he was a key poster in the NOCO threads and is very knowlegable, moo.

Everything is speculative, brainstorming and JMO moo.

Thanks Margarita. And yeah that NOCO case was one of the most amazing cases I have seen here on WS. So glad they finally arrested the one person and hope they can either link him to the other random highway shootings or find the other culprit(s). That sure was a scary time for Colorado drivers.

In this California case I hope LE can determine and arrest whoever is involved in these shootings.

Since its right in the middle of camping season I feel bad for the people that have had to cancel their plans or are afraid to now go camping. The impact of the shootings has impacted lots of people even more than the ones directly hit by the gunshots. Its really sad and hope LE makes an arrest quickly.

Is there anyone else in the industry with the name Beaudette? There are some strains of an Avian virus that are named for Beaudette and I'm curious if it's TB or not?

I need a reminder of what TB was working on...was it something to do with proteins and vaccines? I think it might have been, in which case this is probably our TB.

This is the link to the thumbnail from the Google image search I did (I don't think the initial search term is relevant as that was a drug for migraines, and this results is about vaccines)

AGN-241689 Beaudette - Google Search:

ETA I can't really see anything like this being behind TB's death, but it seemed worth taking a quick look at the angle just in case there could be a possible motive there....

ETA maybe the strain isn't named after TB but someone else with the same name. It just seemed a coincidence that it had to do with proteins and vaccine research.

Last edited:
LW promptly set up a linke for Tristan Beaudette Family Fund with a goal of $25K. It's been about 5 days since TB bled to death and there's $129K in the fund. IMO, it would be great if the TB family offers reward money (take what $25K from the $100K over goal) and make some loud noise so to speak to find that shooter...to try and make the Malibu Creek Park Campground safer than what it was 5 days ago!

Allergan statement to the public included, "Please know that we are working closely with Tristan’s wife and family to provide them with the support they need during this very challenging time.” IMO if Allergan offered a reward of say $50K as well to the person who identifies the killer and leads police to capture the killer.

Shocking that no reward money is being offered from Allergan who offered to support family and from the $129K already in the TB Family Fun that surpassed $25K goal. Rewad money could speed up the process of finding the killer and bringing him/her. Money could help provdie searchers to help locate killer.

The Wu family has been incredibly successful at spreading the word to get GoFund set up fast with donations coming in strong. I hope they use that same success and get their friends, famuly, coworkers and all who have reached out to them on ways they can help search for the killer and help make parks free of violence.and crimes. help find the killer that shot and caused TB to bleed to death that his 2 precious youg kids could have witnessed as well as their 2 cousins who were at the campsite possibly in the nearby ten

When Lost Hills LE discovered TB bleeding to death in TB tent, did LE see the kids sleeping in the tent? Perhaps TB's kids were sleeping in the other tent with their uncle and cousins at some point in the evening early morning? One pair of shoes outside TB's tent that appear to be Adult size. Who called 911? Was there only one 911 call made? Lost Hills Sheriff Station is about a 5+ minute drive to Malibu Creek State Park. Not sure how long it took LE to get from where LE was at time of 911 call to TB campsite.

Why has 911 call not been released to media? Campground has lots of campsites. How did LE know to come to campsite 49 or 51. The campsite is quite tidy for family with kids- total 4? For a homicide crime scene at a campground that is usually busy during the Summer, why are there not more interviews from people staying near TB or at the campground 6/21-6/22. Interesting that campers at other sites didn't take any videos of area and send to media.

I read on campgrounds website that each numbered campsite holds up to 8 people and 2 parking spots. Did TB and his brother-in-law share same campsite. It looks like TB's tent is very close to #51 or partially on site #51. Does not appear a car was parked in campsite #51 parking spot or I would think LE would make the car a part of taped area. If TB campsite #51 and brother-in-law had #49, why park 2 cars in #49? Perhaps they were expecting 1-2 other cars or they had visitors occupying #51 at some point prior to the killing. The 911 call will be important

I have gone camping with family and friends in which we had other friends visit during the day and hang out but leave before quiet hours. Also, not all day hikers pay a parking fee. Some park for free off site and walk in. Not sure if car entry exit gates opened all day for early morning

Also, a hurt injury lost hiker that made newsin April 2018 was found after being lost for multiple days in which 100 search and rescue people searched for him back in April 2018 He suficked up his belongings at Lost Hills Sheriff station, hiker was issued citation, as hiker was lost also around March 2018 that required search efforts. Hiker stated he would hike again after his knee injury heals. Perhaps that hiker can give important info to LE that may aid in locating TB shooter? https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/05/04/ “Please know that we are working closely with Tristan’s wife and family to provide them with the support they need during this very challenging time.”

<modnote- changed real name to initials>

Last edited by a moderator:
With a campground that full and that quiet, most of the campground shoulda heard it. Neighboring sites should have had people rushing around, wailing, yelling....
I find this odd.

This is all so strange and it reminds me that initially reported details can be so wrong. It's startling and makes me more cautious about future cases.

I hope there are some answers for Tristan soon.

The lack of official information has made it difficult to report on how safe the park is now, but CBS News has been told park patrols have increased. Beaudette's family told our local affiliate they believe this was a random shooting and Beaudette was not targeted.
Malibu park where father was killed while camping had 3 recent shooting incidents

“Detectives will also be working with officials from the California State Parks Department to compare any similar shooting incidents, which have occurred within Malibu Creek State Park, which is within the jurisdiction of the State Parks Department,” Nishida told the newspaper.
https://nypost.com/2018/06/27/state-park-plagued-with-mystery-shootings-before-fathers-murder/

Tristan Beaudette’s Family Speaks Out About Camping Death

Man fatally shot at Malibu Creek State Park campground identified - L.A. Times

Father Shot While Camping At Malibu Creek State Park Identified - CBS L.A.

The father of two young girls fatally shot while camping early Friday morning in Malibu Creek State Park has been identified as 35-year-old Tristan Beaudette of Irvine.

Deputies said they have no leads, no suspect and no motive.

Beaudette leaves behind his wife, Erica, and two young daughters, aged 2 and 4.

Friend said Beaudette took the girls camping so that Erica could study for a big test she was studying for.

Beaudette’s friends and family told KCAL9’s Cristy Fajardo that Tristan had a resume everyone would envy.
--
But it was his children who were his greatest pride and joy.

That’s just one more reason his shooting death, with his toddlers nearby, is so devastating and puzzling.

Officials said they found Beaudette bleeding in his tent.

People come [here] for scenery, peace, tranquility. The fatal shooting has everyone, including fellow campers, shocked.

“It’s pretty secluded,” said one woman, “it’s pretty spread out. It’s pretty quiet. I wouldn’t expect something like this to happen.”
--​
I established a FB group for the Tristan Beaudette case, we can't let this go unsolved it is too suspcious and connected to others like it.

And none of the people who were shot at ever saw anything ? No one nearby ever saw anything/anyone suspicious lurking with a firearm ? Concerning the murder of SB, wouldn't everyone nearby have heard the gunshots right away ? and reacted ? This is soooo strange, and really frightening. I hope the two little girls are safe.

I see what you mean. But, why do something so convoluted, and highly risky, if the ultimate aim was to shoot Mr. B. ?
He was in the pharmaceutical arena. TB has been described as a brilliant scientist. Perhaps someone was ticked off with his research findings. There have been many murders of high profile ppl in this line of work. Looks like TB's research papers are online for anyone in the public to read.

Error encountered - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
Exactly. Those tents were way too close for an outsider to feel comfortable enough to assassinate him without worrying about the people in the tent right there.

This just seems like a hit. Jmo.
Dexter : would the hit person be an outsider ?

The wildlife biologist? He was stealth camping in a neighboring park. Not in a campground. He was shot with a spray of buckshot, evidently not the kind of bullet here.

Tapia Park is a portal into Malibu Creek State Park. They touch each other. Trails connect both sites. This is another shooting of someone sleeping within a two mile radius or so.

I don't think we know whether this man was shot with shotgun pellets, a bullet, or what. Did the autopsy say?

Regardless, to discount another nighttime shooting that occurred within the same area, of a camper, who was shot at close range, for no apparent reason, while he slept, makes little sense to me.

These are big coincidences.

I missed a few posts so I'm sorry if this has been discussed. Do we know how close the BIL tent was? He didn't call for help?

Very close. Yards apart. There's a photo of the site. I have no doubt he's the one who called. And regardless of the designation of the 911 call as "possible shots fired", Im betting he called 911 and said something like "I just heard loud gun shots. I'm afraid to check. My nieces are in the tent crying and their dad isn't responding. "
That would be written as "possible shots fired".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member