GUILTY CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, died, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Wire154a

Former Member
Reaction score
Man fatally shot at Malibu Creek State Park campground identified - L.A. Times

Father Shot While Camping At Malibu Creek State Park Identified - CBS L.A.

The father of two young girls fatally shot while camping early Friday morning in Malibu Creek State Park has been identified as 35-year-old Tristan Beaudette of Irvine.

Deputies said they have no leads, no suspect and no motive.

Beaudette leaves behind his wife, Erica, and two young daughters, aged 2 and 4.

Friend said Beaudette took the girls camping so that Erica could study for a big test she was studying for.
<modsnip>
--
Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
Daily Mail
Pharmaceutical executive and Berkeley grad father is shot and killed on a camping trip when a bullet hit him while he was in a tent with his daughters, aged 2 and 4
  • Tristan Beaudette, 35, died on Friday when he was shot at a campsite in Malibu Creek State Park in Calabasas, California
  • Police found him bleeding in his tent but he was pronounced dead at the scene
  • The pharmaceutical executive had taken his two daughters, aged two and four, away so his wife could study for an exam
  • Police said they were called to the campground following a 911 report of shots being fired at about 4.45am
  • His daughters were not injured in the shooting
  • Police are treating his death as a homicide but so far have no motive or suspect

Eight confirmed shootings. TB is one. Seven other dates listed below.

7 Other Unsolved Shootings Around Malibu Creek State Park Where Father Was Killed

Four of the shootings were in the California State Park jurisdiction. Those occurred on:

Nov. 3, 2016
Nov. 9, 2016
Jan. 7, 2017
July 30, 2017

The other three were in the sheriff’s department jurisdiction.

June 6, 2017
July 22, 2017
June 18, 2018

Wow. Can we fill in any more blanks about these shootings?

1. 11-3-16 - The shooting of the wildlife biologist in Tapia Park in a hammock while sleeping 200 yards from Malibu Canyon Road. Shotgun blast to the face. Pellets. Hit his arm that was over his head. Fired at close range. STATE PARK JURIS.
2. 11-9-16 ?? STATE PARK. JURIS.
3. 1-7-17 - Young woman and her boyfriend sleeping in a car at the Malibu Creek Park. Heard gun shot @ 5:00 a.m. Found a slug in the car the next morning. Fired form 20 feet away. Would have hit her if it was n inch higher. Cops probe two MORE shootings at a Malibu park | Daily Mail Online STATE PARK JURIS.
4. 6-6-17 - Shooting reported in the area. I'm not sure what, when, where. SHERIFF JURIS.
5. 7-22-17 - No information I could find. Anyone? SHERIFF JURIS.
6. 7-30-17 - ?? STATE PARK JURIS.
7. 6-18-18 - Shots fired at a Tesla on Malibu canyon Road. Bullet hit car. No one injured. There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed? SHERIFF JURIS.
8. 6-22-18 @ 4:45 a.m. TB. Malibu Creek Park. Shot while inside the tent. Shot to the head. Possible two gun shot holes to tent. STATE PARK JURIS.

Last edited:
I am not sure that this shooting will ever be solved. I think it was random.

Humm I had to think about that for a bit. I have always had hope they would find who killed TB.

This shooting just seems different than the others. The others seemed to be random. A shot in the dark hit or miss.

But TB's death came while he was in his tent with his little girls from a shot to the head which isn't random or a 'lucky shot'.

I have always felt this was a planned murder of TB.

Just kind of browsing around and found this. I never in a million years thought this but it seems two gang related murders took place there. Not thought to be the case with TB.

Investigators: Shooting of Irvine father in Malibu Creek State Park not ‘gang-related,’ but details still sparse – Daily News

Officials said rumors of Beaudette’s death being at the hands of gang members may have been spurred by the discovery of two bodies nearby in recent months.

On May 16, the body of an unidentified man was found on Las Virgenes Road near the Malibu Hindu Temple. And on July 27, the body of another man was found in the 24000 block of Piuma Road.

Moore said both of the deaths appeared to be gang related, but neither could be linked to the killing of Beaudette. Investigators have not said whether the men were killed where they were found, or if their bodies were dumped at those locations.

“It’s true that we do not have a known theory or definitive answer in Mr. Beaudette’s death, or a known suspect,” Moore said. “However, we are working and moving in the direction of certain theories that do not include a gang-style homicide.”

Humm I had to think about that for a bit. I have always had hope they would find who killed TB.

This shooting just seems different than the others. The others seemed to be random. A shot in the dark hit or miss.

But TB's death came while he was in his tent with his little girls from a shot to the head which isn't random or a 'lucky shot'.

I have always felt this was a planned murder of TB.

A random shot could land anywhere--in a tree, through a car bumper, across a creek, into a parking lot or building or tent, where it might hit a car, the ground, an air mattress, or somebody's head. In the other cases we know of where people were hit or nearly hit, one person had injuries to his arm, which was over his face, and the other missed by inches going into a compartment where two people were sleeping. Either of those could easily have been fatal. So I don't think the location of the fatal shot indicates lack of randomness.

In this case, though, I was using random to mean the victim was chosen at random, as in, "I think I'll shoot at this tent tonight."

Officials said rumors of Beaudette’s death being at the hands of gang members may have been spurred by the discovery of two bodies nearby in recent months.

I have doubts about the existence of those alleged rumors. I never heard any of that during my time out there nor during subsequent follow-ups with various people (LE, locals, CPS). Not one person has ever expressed the idea that TB's murder was gang-related and not one person ever said they'd heard rumors that TB's murder was gang-related.

I suspect that LASD is saying this just to say something that makes it look like they're doing something or that they know something. Take the discrepancies between what the Calabasas city manager and LASD said about the most recent remains found - the LASD Lost Hills chief was saying one thing - remains were male, LASD were aware of who it probably was - and LASD Homicide Division was saying something quite different.

Of course, seeing as one of the most recent scandals to hit the scandal-plagued LASD is the existence of gangs within LASD, maybe LASD knows what they're talking about when they say it's not gang-related.

It's 2018 and LASD still hasn't figured out what happened to Mitrice Richardson. Last year, LASD appeared to lack the will to gather key evidence in the Elaine Park disappearance.

Do I think the TB murder will be solved? Probably not, given the LE agency in charge of the investigation.

One wrinkle though - with no resolution, can CPS re-open the campground? It may be that the park has decided it prefers the absence of campers (less work, fewer complaints) and that there is no pressure to do so. But with 63 campsites at $45/night, the park might miss the revenue.

(LE, locals, CPS). Not one person has ever expressed the idea that TB's murder was gang-related and not one person ever said they'd heard rumors that TB's murder was gang-related.

I had a question about your post so it's taken out of the context of your reply. I hope that is ok.

Not asking for names of course but I'm curious just what they do think happened? Those you spoke to. If so many of us posting and writing about this think TB was targeted that must be the thought of some people closer to what happened.

My disagreement with what you wrote would be the shot was random. I strongly disagree. In a tent, lying down, a shot to the head. I would like statistics on that ever happening.
I also have to reread the reports. Was it one shot or two to the head? So many reports are incorrectly written it's sometimes hard to follow and remember.

I had a question about your post so it's taken out of the context of your reply. I hope that is ok.

Not asking for names of course but I'm curious just what they do think happened? Those you spoke to. If so many of us posting and writing about this think TB was targeted that must be the thought of some people closer to what happened.

As I've said before on this forum, there are two kinds of 'targeted': (1) targeted specifically to Tristan Beaudette and (2) targeted against Malibu Creek State Park. In the latter, the victim could have been anyone in the campground that night.

There's also the matter of the other shootings. Some were at cars on the road but two incidents (including TB's) were close-range shootings in the campground and one incident was the shooting of a camper in a hammock in the contiguous area of Tapia Park.

Locals I've spoken to think that the park area isn't safe because of 8-9 shooting incidents in an 18-month span. That's their main concern. They don't want to hike in the park with their dogs even in daylight hours. They're skeptical of LE assurances that these things only happen at night because the murder suggests that the shooter is getting bolder and quite frankly, there's no reason to assume he wouldn't now decide to strike in the day time.

My disagreement with what you wrote would be the shot was random. I strongly disagree. In a tent, lying down, a shot to the head. I would like statistics on that ever happening.

I don't think I've ever said I thought it was random. I don't know. I don't know enough about the details. Witnesses reported 4-6 shots. Were any bullets or fragments or casings recovered at the scene? We don't know. Was it a shotgun as in the JR and MT incidents? We don't know.

I don't know why a shot to the head is any less likely than say, a shot to the leg if someone is firing randomly into a tent. Along those same lines, then we can also say that it might have turned out that one of the kids got hit and not TB.

I also have to reread the reports. Was it one shot or two to the head? So many reports are incorrectly written it's sometimes hard to follow and remember.

This describes the confusion between the head and torso:

Assistant Chief Ed Winter of the Los Angeles County coroner’s office tells PEOPLE Tristan Beaudette passed away from a single shot to the head.
“I don’t believe there was multiple gunshots,” says Winter. Beaudette was pronounced dead at 5:21 a.m. Winter says his autopsy has not been completed but that a full report would be available once transcribed.

When I posted that this was random shooting, I meant that I don't believe anyone was setting out to kill him, specifically.

I think it is a shooter or a couple of local shooters, going out hunting because the area is perfectly set up for it.

The gang rumor wasn't so much a rumor as it was people wondering if there was a connection between TB and the gang member's body found near the Hindu temple only a few weeks earlier. It was determined pretty early on that it wasn't.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrainbow85
Back