CA CA - Maximillian 'Max' Schweitzer, 41, Yosemite National Park, 4 Jan 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m not sure how legit the LinkedIn bio is. Some of the overlapping positions don’t make sense; the connections one would expect aren’t present; and although HS people can have SM accounts, I question that job title.

His FB profile:
https://m.facebook.com/max.schweitzer.16#!/max.schweitzer.16

The FB page links to a Twitter profile, but it’s unclear whether it’s his own, so I won’t link it here. The most recent tweet is from 2015 and the content is out there.

Hope he’s found safe.
It's very common for a consulting analyst to move from project to project. It's generally considered a contracted position. Generally when their part of the project is complete, they are released from the project.

It's very common for a consulting analyst to move from project to project. It's generally considered a contracted position. Generally when their part of the project is complete, they are released from the project.

It’s not so much the number of jobs. Holding the rank of Captain with the Army Rangers at the same time as working with the DHS and French intelligence would be challenging, to say the least.

On the bright side, if he is an Army Ranger Captain, he’s better equipped than most would be to survive harsh weather. I hope he’s located (or returns) soon.

Now I REALLY want to know what he was demanding to see the FBI about. :thinking:

Interesting to day the least. I'm wondering if someone could have been after him. That could be a reason to demand to see the FBI and creating a ruckus. Especially given the back ground. I also think the contracted work could be legit, but the dates not as accurate in order to not leave a plain footprint that could explain where he was at a particular time. IMO

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

He may well believe that someone is after him. There's clear guidance on social media use (and listing classified work) and his profile is odd in several noncompliant ways. The Mulder in me wants to believe, but the Scully in me knows this isn't adding up. This fact heightens my concern that he may not recognize the risks he's facing now.

He has a 2016 arrest record in California for making threatening phone calls to a state official or judge:

https://www.localcrimenews.com/welcome/arrest/18562059/maximillian-schweitzer-arrest.html

I'm not sure how to look up the resolution without paying a fee.

I don't believe any of his "work" positions.
He might believe he has had those jobs, but in reality, um, no.

I'm sure LE will look into his employment background.

I wonder if he's married.

Unfortunately, people take stupid risks hiking or even just sightseeing in Yosemite. I’ve stood at Lower Yosemite Falls and watched people leaping around on boulders...the signs clearly warn NOT to do it. As you mentioned, it can be easy to slip and fall off the edges of trails. It happens all.the.time. Such a beautiful place, but not to die for. I hope Max is safe, but given his instability, I’m thinking carelessness or even suicide, sad to say. :(

Camp 4 is near the starting point for the Yosemite Falls Trail. From there he could have hiked to lower or upper yosemite Falls, North Dome or Yosemite Point. My husband just did this hike. Many hikers go unprepared without enough food, water or clothing. It’s been very cold lately. Here is a map. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/yosemitefallstrail.htm. Currently the weather is cold and snow is expected. There are areas that people can go off trail and falls, slip or get lost. It’s going to be imperative to find him ASAP.
d88c5bbeb9e9c252b9c0a7b0cb39c55e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He may well believe that someone is after him. There's clear guidance on social media use (and listing classified work) and his profile is odd in several noncompliant ways. The Mulder in me wants to believe, but the Scully in me knows this isn't adding up. This fact heightens my concern that he may not recognize the risks he's facing now.

He has a 2016 arrest record in California for making threatening phone calls to a state official or judge:

https://www.localcrimenews.com/welcome/arrest/18562059/maximillian-schweitzer-arrest.html

I'm not sure how to look up the resolution without paying a fee.
Not sure if anyone has actually looked further on Google. I cannot link becaise of where the info I got was located but,...if you keep looking you will see one of the jobs is the real deal at one point but let's just say he has created an issue similar to the FBI previously. I will look and see if I can find a way to get a link through a permitted link.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Not sure if anyone has actually looked further on Google. I cannot link becaise of where the info I got was located but,...if you keep looking you will see one of the jobs is the real deal at one point but let's just say he has created an issue similar to the FBI previously. I will look and see if I can find a way to get a link through a permitted link.

Are you referring to the item listed here (towards the bottom of the page) under "Separations Agenda"? I wonder if this is him?

http://sfgov.org/civilservice/ftp/a...ept=1040&sub=&year=2004&dtype=1469&file=25477

Good find. It matches his LinkedIn, and I suspect some of it is accurate and some isn't. I looked earlier today to see if there were any updates on his missing status, but I didn't see anything.

Camp 4 is near the starting point for the Yosemite Falls Trail. From there he could have hiked to lower or upper yosemite Falls, North Dome or Yosemite Point. My husband just did this hike. Many hikers go unprepared without enough food, water or clothing. It’s been very cold lately. Here is a map. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/yosemitefallstrail.htm. Currently the weather is cold and snow is expected. There are areas that people can go off trail and falls, slip or get lost. <snipped graphic> It’s going to be imperative to find him ASAP.

Unfortunately, people take stupid risks hiking or even just sightseeing in Yosemite. I’ve stood at Lower Yosemite Falls and watched people leaping around on boulders...the signs clearly warn NOT to do it. As you mentioned, it can be easy to slip and fall off the edges of trails. It happens all.the.time. Such a beautiful place, but not to die for. I hope Max is safe, but given his instability, I’m thinking carelessness or even suicide, sad to say. :(

The YP Rangers are thinking the along the same lines.

http://kmph.com/news/local/rangers-looking-for-missing-man-in-yosemite

Rangers are asking anybody who may have hiked the (upper) Yosemite Falls Trail January 1–3, 2018, please call 209-379-1992.

The Upper Yosemite Falls trail is extremely common. Especially for those that park in Camp 4. That’s the starting point for the trail. There are quite a few switchbacks and people will often begin hiking late in the day without ample water or food. They think it will be a quick hike, but it is very strenuous. Its easy to slip off the side of one of the switchbacks.
Who was the last person Max spoke with?
Did he bring the appropriate supplies to hike?
What things were left in the car?

Its seems since he was out of town, he likely didn’t bring a ton of camping or hiking supplies. I’d be looking as far as North Dome. Also, if he crossed the falls at the top, possibly look below the top fall on the rocks below. People do crazy things. I have a feeling he slipped and fell. Just a matter of finding him. Does he have a cell phone that can be pinged? I’m wondering if that’s why Rangers believe he was on this trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He lives somewhere, or works somewhere, or rents somewhere. No one is missing him?

Marking my spot - I hope he is found soon

The Upper Yosemite Falls trail is extremely common. Especially for those that park in Camp 4. That’s the starting point for the trail. There are quite a few switchbacks and people will often begin hiking late in the day without ample water or food. They think it will be a quick hike, but it is very strenuous. Its easy to slip off the side of one of the switchbacks.
Who was the last person Max spoke with?
Did he bring the appropriate supplies to hike?
What things were left in the car?

Its seems since he was out of town, he likely didn’t bring a ton of camping or hiking supplies. I’d be looking as far as North Dome. Also, if he crossed the falls at the top, possibly look below the top fall on the rocks below. People do crazy things. I have a feeling he slipped and fell. Just a matter of finding him. Does he have a cell phone that can be pinged? I’m wondering if that’s why Rangers believe he was on this trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My two teenage children and I hiked to the top of the falls over spring break last year. At one point, I stopped to take a selfie with the village -which was about 3,000 ft. below where I was at that point- in the background, and I came VERY close to slipping off the side of a switchback. My eyes were glued to the screen of my phone, and I had my back to the edge of the trail; my backpack was quite heavy as I was carrying water for all three of us in it, and I could feel it pulling me downwards. I started to panic, and I really don’t remember how, but I was able to get a foothold and get back on the path.

It was April, and there were plenty of people around, so someone probably would have seen me fall (but then come to think of it, no one was around at that particular moment; the kids had left me behind while I took some photos), but even then, there are so many rocks and trees along the way that I truly believe I/my body could have remained hidden/missing forever.

For those who are not familiar, here is one of the pictures I took that day (obviously, not a selfie ;)):

IMG_6269.jpg

This is purely my personal opinion, but Max appears to have been struggling with mental illness for some time, and I am so scared for him. I’ve struggled with depression and PTSD since my teens (I’m in my 40’s now), I made sure my mind was in a good place before we left for Yosemite. The park can be a particularly dangerous place for someone whose brain is not functioning correctly, IMO, as it offers so many ways to end one’s life.

Speaking of people being unprepared, I saw someone wearing TOM’s shoes, so yeah ... ;).

As far as cell service, we have AT&T, and I remember my son complaining about not being able to share photos with his friends via SnapChat as we reached the top, so at least at the very top (and as of last April), there was none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread jumped out at me as I have visited Yosemite many times. Camp 4 is casually known as the climbers' camp and is even a designated historic site (lots of great Amercan rock climbing history there). I looked on a climbing forum to make sure someone had posted the photo/article (it has been posted) and in the comments I saw a facebook screenshot stating that he is back at his house in Santa Cruz? Obviously all this must be taken with a grain of salt, but I was wondering if anyone on here has seen any further reports about it?

EDIT- UPDATE: There is a comment on Yosemite Park Service's Facebook post about this missing person indicating that they were home, the replies from the park service indicate that this comment was not factual and that it is still an active missing person's case.

Bummer - I was hoping he would be found alive, but I am certainly feeling that self-harm or unprepared wandering are more likely scenarios :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmenSanDiego314
Back