CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A woman was also swept out to sea in the same area on January 10.

UPDATE: Woman Still Missing After Being Swept Into Ocean At Pescadero Beach

SAN MATEO COUNTY (CBS SF) — One woman remains missing Monday after being swept out to sea Sunday afternoon at Pescadero State Beach in San Mateo County.

Around 3:15 p.m. Sunday afternoon, a man and a woman were searching for mussels at the beach when waves swept them from the rocks.

The man, identified as a 39-year-old Redwood City resident, was rescued and taken to the hospital. He was discharged on Sunday night, said Cecile Juliette, San Mateo County Fire Department’s spokesperson.

Cal Fire San Mateo Santa Cruz Unit provided air support during the search for the woman who was still missing.

He was very open about their marital issues and how often she would supposedly stay out late. His interview doesn’t sound like a private person. He put all of that and some more out there and it wasn’t necessary.
I wish I could be as concise as you. It was unnecessary for him to tell all that marital stuff, but nothing to help find Maya. (I'll try to keep holding my tongue, but let me say that he has done the most to cast suspicions in his direction.)

It was "embarrassing" he said, but he sure spilled the beans about putting up with Maya always needing her space, going out all the time, and even threw in her drinking more lately. He painted a pic for us, they're like "roommates", and supplied reasoning why he didn't consider her missing until her family showed up on Saturday! Not to mention the "he thinks he heard her Friday" diversion of the timeline. Very unemotional about her being missing. From all he said, you got no actual details of when she went missing, what they argued about, or where to look for her... oh, she could be wine tasting.

Again, MOO, but he doesn't want to face speculation and yet doesn't take part in anything related to finding Maya. Their marriage may have been over, but is this all the concern he can show after 21 yrs. together? I respect that some people are more private, as I tend to be, but it's time to stop hiding behind the excuses, get over his privacy issues to help find Maya. As someone else pointed out, the children need to see him actively involved in the search for their mother.

Last edited:
In general, I think guilty people tend to get paranoid and don’t want people to see right through them. Going to a vigil as the partner would ensure dozens of eyes on them the whole time. If you can’t fake a cry then don’t go. Moo.

In general, I think guilty people tend to get paranoid and don’t want people to see right through them. Going to a vigil as the partner would ensure dozens of eyes on them the whole time. If you can’t fake a cry then don’t go. Moo
He also has not gotten on camera to reach out for Maya's return.

Thought I should post the links to the Jan. 12th news article and the husband's vocal interview here for anyone that catching up on this case.

Husband fears for missing Chula Vista wife, mom of three (10news.com)

Listen here:
Phone call with husband of missing Chula Vista mom, Maya Millete - ABC 10NEWS San Diego - Omny.fm

It should be procedure imo, with her car there and all. I don’t know if anything will come of it but all bases need to be covered! Kinda surprised it hasn’t happened sooner in case the evidence has since been destroyed.. moo

This was from a cbs8 article dated 1/15/21:

“Police say the couple had marital problems but says the husband is cooperating and they’ve searched the home twice and have not found evidence of a crime and have not issued search warrants, but several detectives are investigating Maya’s disappearance.” (Bolded by me)
Family and friends hold vigil for missing Chula Vista mother | cbs8.com

So, now that we know that this time the police have gotten a search warrant to search the home—what does this mean? Am I getting ahead of myself to conclude that the police now feel evidence of a crime can be found in the home? Is a search warrant obtained only where there is probable cause that something happened at the location?

This was from a cbs8 article dated 1/15/21:

“Police say the couple had marital problems but says the husband is cooperating and they’ve searched the home twice and have not found evidence of a crime and have not issued search warrants, but several detectives are investigating Maya’s disappearance.” (Bolded by me)
Family and friends hold vigil for missing Chula Vista mother | cbs8.com

So, now that we know that this time the police have gotten a search warrant to search the home—what does this mean? Am I getting ahead of myself to conclude that the police now feel evidence of a crime can be found in the home? Is a search warrant obtained only where there is probable cause that something happened at the location?
Honestly, I think they’ve run out of outside leads and are working with what they’ve got under their nose. I think it’s likely they did general sweep searches before but maybe this time comes the dogs, luminol etc

...but maybe this time comes the dogs, luminol etc

animated-dog-image-0285.gif
Yes, let those dogs out! I'm all for letting specialized cadaver dogs sniff if someone died in that house or any of the vehicles recently. If there's a chance she was strangled, then Luminol isn't going to detect it. (remember Elizabeth Sullivan case and also check any freezers)

Not sure yet if CVPD is just going through the motions because this case has gained some notoriety or if they are seriously now investigating this as a possible homicide. Maya Millete needs to be found as soon as possible.

In the world of investigative work, it’s less common the the lack of evidence that hinders progress, but the lack of resources and experience.

Here’s a good example.

A case not too long ago involving an organized crime family was being handled by the San Diego police department. They had little to no leads. “No evidence”. They asked the FBI, DSS for help, but wasn’t provided because it was considered a low level crime at that point in time. Case was open for 2 years.

In the third year, crime activity elevated to “terrorism” and the ATF, FBI and DSS were involved. Access to various systems were provided including surveillance and various platforms only privy to Federal agencies that would take years to grant for the SD detectives.

case solved within a week.

point being, resources and experience makes a huge difference. Sure I’m coming from the federal space. But I can tell you this. When I was overseas serving as a DSS agent in my younger years, if this was a crime against a dignitary, this case would be halfway to closure. The amount of both technical and non-technical resources that would be employed to solve this would be instantaneous. One of a dozen examples: satellite imagery snapshots for every hour since the time LM indicated she was lost.

I'm quoting your post @JakeB911 because I'd like input from someone who has participated in criminal investigations. If anyone else reads this and has that experience, please chime in.

In this situation, its MO that the children or probably more likely the 11-year-old know much more than LM imagines or anyone else for that matter. Pre-teens and teens are much more aware of the undercurrents and the noises in a home than you can imagine. I base this on years of being a secondary teacher and parent. Often, these kids don't share their feelings and information about what they may have seen or heard that is upsetting, until much later.

How does LE interview minors? Simply one interview would hardly seem to be enough. Certainly it would be difficult in a formal police setting. Are child psychologists involved?

The more I read and understand what happened in that home on the Friday after the Thursday night disagreement, the more concerned I am about the oldest child. IMO, it's huge responsiblity to put her in charge of conducting homeschooling, lunch, being told Mom wants some space so she's behind the locked door. Anxiety producing? If this happened often, I would start to wonder about the parents mental health. Really...

“The body, described as an Asian woman, was discovered about 9 a.m. at Tunitas Creek Beach, located along a stretch of coastline between Half Moon Bay and Pescadero.” Woman's Body Found Along San Mateo County Coast

Uh-oh, I am more concerned that this could be MM based on the description...

San Mateo County is around 500 miles from Chula Vista. Is two weeks enough time for a body to float up that far north? As well, "Asian woman" is extremely vague. Hopefully it can be ruled out by age, at least.

He also has not gotten on camera to reach out for Maya's return.

Thought I should post the links to the Jan. 12th news article and the husband's vocal interview here for anyone that catching up on this case.

Husband fears for missing Chula Vista wife, mom of three (10news.com)

Listen here:
Phone call with husband of missing Chula Vista mom, Maya Millete - ABC 10NEWS San Diego - Omny.fm
mmmm.
Interesting that he did not speak of her in past tense. I only listened once so feel free to correct me if I missed it.

MOO, when they report that husband said he "helped" detectives in their search to find his wife = I will interpret this to mean he was questioned by detectives for hours on Wednesday, Jan. 20th.

Then, coincidently, a search warrant was served on Saturday, Jan, 23rd. and LE were there at the family's home collecting evidence until 1:00 a.m. on Sunday. (I don't think they brought any dogs though.) Where is she? It's just so frustrating that she left both her two vehicles sitting there in the driveway. I wish those neighbors had camera footage to share.

Chula Vista family hires investigator to help in search for missing mom (10news.com)

ABC 10News spoke to her husband on Thursday. He said he spent hours Wednesday night with detectives from Chula Vista Police trying to find his wife. He tells ABC 10News he is grateful for all of the search efforts.

Search warrant is served at home of missing Chula Vista mother | cbs8.com
Video included

"The Chula Vista Police Department served a search warrant Saturday at the home of Maya "May" Millete on Paseo Los Gatos in Chula Vista, according to a press release from the police department.

Millete’s husband, Larry, told News 8 investigators seized property before leaving around 1 a.m. Sunday morning. Neighbors told her family they saw police using what appeared to be "forensic lights" although police would not confirm details about their actions.

"The focus of the search warrant is to locate any evidence or any clues as to her "The focus of the search warrant is to locate any evidence or any clues as to her whereabouts. Obviously, we’re concerned that she is still missing," said Lt. Miriam Foxx with the Criminal Investigations Division. “I can’t give any details as to the investigation but I will say we’ve been actively investigating this case and we’re at the point now where we’re trying to get as much evidence and any clues that we have that it’s possible to find where May is."

Lucky you, never arguing with your husband. With all due respect, and all MOO, you probably can't imagine then how arguing constantly heightens the anger. The couple we're talking about did argue, and had been fighting for the past year. In fact, they had an argument right before she went totally missing and she has not been seen since that argument. LM may be shy and quiet, but he also said some things in his phone interview that put Maya in a bad light, IMO. He also said she was there Friday, when it seems she wasn't, but that's MOO. It's true we are just outsiders trying to figure out what happened to Maya. We're putting together this puzzle with crucial pieces missing. LM seems to be the only one with the puzzle pieces and he doesn't know when or where she went. MOO, it's not wrong to look at this from all angles. I'm praying right beside you that Maya is found.

Thank you for your reply. I don't have to imagine how arguing constantly heightens the anger because I lived in it for over 25 years with my first husband who was abusive to the point he pulled a gun on me and tried to kill me in our front yard. I am a domestic violence survivor. So I do know what it feels like to be in a marriage where there are arguments. I'm not the same person today that I was then. I was scared of him and I never argued back with him, I stood there and took it, afraid he was going to kill me in front of my child. He was in construction as a subcontractor and was well respected in his field. He stalked me on my job and finally after I had had enough, I paid an acquaintance gas money to drive past the construction site he was working to make sure he was there, then my friend brought a rented U-Haul to my house along with 6 friends who helped me pack in 2 hours and drove with me to another state to get away from him. This thread isn't about me, it's about MM but that's why I said maybe she left the house to walk and clear her head after their argument. I pray MM is alive and I pray for her family.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I don't have to imagine how arguing constantly heightens the anger because I lived in it for over 25 years with my first husband who was abusive...
No, thank you for supplying more info about your understanding of domestic violence. All I can say is I am so glad you got away from him and now have a happy marriage with someone who allows you to live a life you enjoy and not control or oppress you. Wishing you many happy years together.

mmmm.
Interesting that he did not speak of her in past tense. I only listened once so feel free to correct me if I missed it.
Great point. I didn't notice him using a past tense either. It's hard to avoid making that mistake if you know someone's gone. I pray he isn't involved, I pray Maya is found safe, especially for the sake of the children.

I'm watching Fox5 News at 10 p.m. that says it has some new info about Maya and the search warrant they keep saying to stay tuned in for. Covering the rainy weather first.

No, thank you for supplying more info about your understanding of domestic violence. All I can say is I am so glad you got away from him and now have a happy marriage with someone who allows you to live a life you enjoy and not control or oppress you. Wishing you many happy years together.
Thank you @Curious Me

Dateline is a repeat tonight, going over the Rebecca Zahau case and how hard her sister and family fought to get that case reopened. Reminds me of this sister.

This is the latest news on Jan. 24th, Sunday night. It has been said, the husband is not the focus of their investigation at this point. CVPD has something they are working on. Husband was asked but refused to give a statement to Fox5 News about the search warrant, but Maya's sister and brother in law spoke to them on camera. They are really keeping this in the news and want so much to find Maya. I'm thankful to know that CVPD is doing a more thorough search and investigation.

Be sure to watch the video because at the end you see several white LE vans there for the search warrant.

Missing Chula Vista Mom: Search Warrant Served At Maya Millete's Home (fox5sandiego.com)
Video included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member