CA CA - Michael Vanzandt, 36, Hermosa Beach, 5 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I came across a short news story of a man beaten to death in Lawndale, Ca. I think that's not that far away in distance from Hermosa Beach. The man is unidentified in the article, and I have not found a follow-up story. Can someone who has facebook alert the Find Mike Vanzandt site to see if this victim has been ruled out? It seems the man was found on March 6, so the date could fit!

http://abc7.com/news/man-beaten-to-death-in-lawndale;-investigation-underway/1234001/

I just joined the group and as soon as I'm accepted I'll pass on the info.

Perhaps he was much more drunk and/or also on other meds or substances that could effect his mentation and actions?? After all, they rented a motel room so they did not have to risk drunk driving and were in walking distance of food. Maybe he was not intentionally acting, is what I'm trying to say. If his friends were also impaired and hungry, maybe they were having trouble keeping up with each other. I still find it odd that he would leave his friends when they were all going out to eat together. It sounds like he needed food more than anything he could buy at a liquor store.

Good catch. It is only 5 miles from Hermosa Beach to Lawndale and this man was found deceased the morning after Van Zandt disappeared at 11:49 am.

Info posted to Find Mike Facebook page. It appears this gentleman was already ruled out. Not Mike according to the facebook group.

LaborDayRN, thank you so much for checking with the Find Mike Vanzandt people about this Lawndale murder. Good to know they were already aware of it, and that the possibility has been eliminated.

I'm sure it made them feel good, at least, to know that you are thinking of Mike and are trying to help figure out what could have happened to him.

LaborDayRN, thank you so much for checking with the Find Mike Vanzandt people about this Lawndale murder. Good to know they were already aware of it, and that the possibility has been eliminated.

I'm sure it made them feel good, at least, to know that you are thinking of Mike and are trying to help figure out what could have happened to him.

He's a home town guy for me. I feel terrible for his family, especially his children. It must be so painful not knowing what's happened to him. :(

Thank you slowpoke for bringing the Lawndale murder to our attention.

Missing: Michael David VanZandt, 36 years old. Wearing Heather grey Sweatshirt (no graphics) and jeans. Last seen 11:45pm heading east from the Plaza towards Hermosa Ave. He's a 14 year Air Force vet and has been deployed twice to Iraq. (This is not a ptsd situation) He also spent time in the Air Force Ravens squadron and has many advanced diving and swimming certifications. He has 3 beautiful children that are his life. We need your help.
Mike started the night with friends at Underground Bar watching the UFC fight . He appears to be having a great time from pictures and snapchats shared with friends and family. The group goes to American Junkie roughly 10:15pm and there is a line to get in. Mike decides goes to go to Roberts Liquor store, doesn't purchasing anything and walks out. (maybe looking for a bathroom). Meanwhile his friends go to another bar, try texting him and his phone is dead. He is shown on camera wandering around peering into different bars, presumably looking for his friends. 10:45pm he goes into the liquor store and makes a purchase of something to drink, which was his last purchase. He wanders the Plaza some more, until he goes to where the city cameras cut off toward the pier. 11:15pm he comes back, from the east (non-ocean), with a new group of people, not the original group. They are all then mingling throughout the plaza conversing with people. He is seen hugging people and having a good time. The group heads back off camera towards hermosa blvd at 11:45pm. That's the last we have him on film. There is still no foul play suspected, we just want to reiterate that many people saw and spoke to him that night and we need your help in hearing from them. We are reaching out to many local businesses to see about additional footage and are wondering where his next move was. So if you have any additional information please reach out to Det. Droz 310-318-0334 or Jdroz@hermosapolice.com

I thought that they had decided that the guy in the 11:15 pm sighting was *not* Mike....just someone that was dressed like him...

I thought that they had decided that the guy in the 11:15 pm sighting was *not* Mike....just someone that was dressed like him...

According to post #63 that is what was posted on the Find Mike facebook page.

This is the full UPDATED description if that night...

****UPDATED****

On March 5th, 2016 Michael David VanZandt left his home in Lancaster, California, for a weekend trip in Hermosa Beach and to watch the UFC fight with a group of friends. At 10:15pm while waiting in line at a bar called American Junkie, he left the group and headed next door to Roberts Liquor. That is the last time his friends had seen him. Origanially police believed that security cameras showed mike head east away from the waterfront with the group of unidentified individuals but after further examining the grainy still photos from the videos, it was NOT Mike, it was a man who looked very similar!
Phone records show that he was in the area but inconclusive as to where before it died that night at 10:30pm. Bank records have also not provided anything additional. Police located His car Sunday morning at the hotel he was staying at, untouched.
Mike is a 2 tour war veteran (THIS IS NOT A PTSD SITUATION) and currently works at Edwards Air Force Base. He is a very proud and devoting father of three, 2 sons and a young daughter. Although him and his wife, Krishain are going through a divorce there is absolutely NO red flags in his personal life to lead to some of the theories online sleuths have been posting!!!!!!!!!
Mike is 6', 190lbs, Blonde Hair and has a Muscular build. He has 3 tattoos, A tiger on his left shoulder, a small Budda on his back and "KEATON" in descending letters down his left calve. He was last seen wearing a charcoal colored sweater with no logos, a white undershirt, jeans, and red vans!

We are asking that ANYONE with any information about his whereabouts or you or someone you know, seen him that night, to please call
Detective Joshua Droz with the Hermosa Beach Police @ 310-318-0334 or email him at jdroz@hermosapolice.org!

Please Share and continue sharing his story until he comes home! Someone out there has to know something!!

I'm sorry, I was not aware that there was an update. I hope that I did not cause confusion.
Seems it could be a bit of a setback in trying to retrace his steps.
Let's hope that they find Michael soon.

Oh wait. Now I'm confused. So the original info about Mike being seen on video later talking with a different group of people (not the group he was originally with) turned out not to be him at all?

Off to re read the Facebook info. I'm lost.

The walk from the bar and liquor store towards the pier is almost a direct shot. I can't imagine him going in the ocean with his clothes, wallet and cell phone. Is there liquor store footage of him walking out the store? Bing that we live in a big brother society, it seems that there should be cameras in the area. Has anyone requested the footage from these? Just out of curiosity, this is directed to his friends from that night, why was he going to a liquor store when u were about to enter a bar? I would check along N Harbor Drive where the jetty begins. It's a 5 min drive and a 15 min walk. How often do people walk along the jetty? If he went into the water, when the tide came in, that may be the direction the current took him. We can always hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so sad. I just can't understand how someone just disappears this way. I hold out hope that he is alive and well. As much as it would be hard to imagine someone choosing to just take off and get a "break" and leave their loved ones behind. I so wish that was the case here because the alternative is way more heartbreaking. It's just that after so long, it does look grim.

Prayers are with the family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse
Back