Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interesting about the spicy mustard packets. I get cramps often lately and will have to get some of those.

People are right that cramps alone could be enough to cause someone to drown if a bad leg or arm cramp occurred where it makes you not able to swim enough to keep on top of water.

The anchor is another thing that someone just mentioned that could have caused a diving accident. What can happen when you lower an anchor is the boat will drift downwind until the anchor catches and so the rope may be underwater in a place the person on board does not realize. Then if someone dives off the boat they may hit the rope on the way into the water and not only can that cause a severe rope burn but depending on how you hit the rope, it could even snap a persons head back and cause a severe neck injury or other injury which causes someone not to be able to swim.

So many possible things like that which we dont even think about.

I think Im leaning to accidental drowning now after thinking of all the ways someone can drown by accident on their own.
I also suffer from leg and toe cramps while out on the lake.
I have found an over the counter pill called, of all things, "LEG CRAMPS"
It is a small little packet of 6 pills and I always throw one in my boat bag as I always end up needing 1 or 2 --but they help quickly take the cramping away.
SPicy mustard huh ?? will have to try.
But, I also am thinking a tragic accident.
Those anchor ropes are strong and I have tripped over a few of them as you cant always see them and when we tie up with 10 other pontoons and they all have anchors in, well, it can get tricky walking around sometimes.
Also, it sounds like this lake is full of trees, weeds, etc and she could have gotten a foot or leg caught or wrapped around and couldn't get up to air.
This is tragic no matter what happened.
My heart breaks for her 4 yr old little man. :(

If she dove off the boat, just the push off from her feet could have sent the boat far enough away that she was unable to then catch up with it. The little boy may never have entered the water. I have swum off barges/boats a lot in my younger years, it is very easy to quickly become separated from the boat.

This unrelated case is currently making news in my area. Not looking good. Tragic.
Deputies, rescue crews searching for reported struggling swimmer on Lake Ontario near Seabreeze

Water safety is important!

Does anyone know where the propeller on these boats are located?
what is the motor was running, the boy jumped off the boat, she jumped after him obviously in a hurry without time to put on a life jacket or stop the motor, she’s able to push him back on board but is somehow injured by the propeller and subsequently drowned?
I have no idea how these boats work so this may be far off, just something I thought of

The temp of the water could have played a part as well. There was a case here a couple years back when 2 people in a boat fell into a reservoir (in Utah I believe) and bodies were later recovered, not wearing life vests. Their dog was found on land safe, wearing a life vest. Speculation was they succumbed to cold water shock response.

Perhaps the same happened to Ms. River.

National Center for Cold Water Safety - What is Cold Water?

Does anyone know if there is a channel that runs through that lake that could cause a current and movement of deep water that would pull her under if she jumped in say feet first over top of the channel? There is a lake near where I grew up that was known for its "drop off." Many drownings occurred in that lake because of the drop off...it was a channel where the original stream ran. Most lakes are man made and a stream is blocked and back fills into a lake. In that particular lake there was a tremendous underwater current that pulled people under when they got near the edge of it. Of course most people had no idea exactly where this was which is how they were caught up in it. This is tragic. Poor little boy.

Oh dear Lord.. I hope she didn't do this on purpose.
I have to admit, it crossed my mind yesterday when I first read about it but I quickly diminished that thought.
Now I have to wonder.
OR is it just a weird, strange coincidence ??
I think it's a far stretch to suggest that the phrase "just the two of us" is a reference to an Eminem song although in concert with the other post about tomorrow not being guaranteed it does kind of straddle the line between creepy coincidence and suggestive foreshadowing.

Additional concerns with barges: getting stuck between the pontoons, which will run you straight into the motor/prop. Even a non-moving prop kicked by a swimmer can cause quite a gash. I have seen it.
I have a feeling the propeller played a part in this. I’m thinking maybe the boy jumped off while the motor was running, she may have jumped in after him in a hurry with no time for a life jacket or to turn off the motor, she was able to push him back on board but was struck by the motor and injured

what is the motor was running, the boy jumped off the boat, she jumped after him obviously in a hurry without time to put on a life jacket or stop the motor, she’s able to push him back on board but is somehow injured by the propeller and subsequently drowned?
I have no idea how these boats work so this may be far off, just something I thought of

Running and non-running propellers are dangerous! This type of boat its centered off the back of the boat and would be about 1'-2' under the surface of the water. The boat was not reported to be running at the time it was found so I am thinking the motor was off.

Does anyone know if there is a channel that runs through that lake that could cause a current and movement of deep water that would pull her under if she jumped in say feet first over top of the channel? There is a lake near where I grew up that was known for its "drop off." Many drownings occurred in that lake because of the drop off...it was a channel where the original stream ran. Most lakes are man made and a stream is blocked and back fills into a lake. In that particular lake there was a tremendous underwater current that pulled people under when they got near the edge of it. Of course most people had no idea exactly where this was which is how they were caught up in it. This is tragic. Poor little boy.

From what I read in the link I posted earlier from Wikipedia, Lake Piru is a reservoir with a dam which can be very dangerous if you know how dams work. See link discussing the dangers for swimming in one:

Safety Around Dams

Water conditions near a dam

• Above the dam flow can pull swimmers in and drag them below the water level with such force they can’t escape.
  • Below the dam air trapped in water reduces your buoyancy to a point where even if you are wearing a personal flotation device you may sink below the water level.
  • Water levels and flows above and below a dam can occur rapidly and without warning.
Lake Piru

Location Los Padres National Forest,
Topatopa Mountains,
Ventura, California
Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
34°28′39″N 118°45′18″WCoordinates:
17px-WMA_button2b.png
34°28′39″N 118°45′18″W
Type Reservoir
Primary inflows Piru Creek
Agua Blanca Creek
Primary outflows Piru Creek
Catchment area 421.4 sq mi (1,091 km2)
Basin countries United States
Surface area 1,240 acres (500 ha)
Max. depth 130 ft (40 m)
Water volume 83,244 acre⋅ft (102,680,000 m3)
Surface elevation 154,043 mi (247,908 km)
References U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Lake Piru
Lake Piru is a reservoir located in Los Padres National Forest and Topatopa Mountains of Ventura County, California, created by the construction in 1955 of the Santa Felicia Dam on Piru Creek, which is a tributary of the Santa Clara River.

I have a feeling the propeller played a part in this. I’m thinking maybe the boy jumped off while the motor was running, she may have jumped in after him in a hurry with no time for a life jacket or to turn off the motor, she was able to push him back on board but was struck by the motor and injured

It would be very hard to push someone onto the boat from the water. Would have to use the ladder, which a 4 year old could likely climb. The main concerns for her I see is simply jumping in and quickly getting separated from the boat. I am less inclined to think the prop played a role, but it is possible.

It would be very hard to push someone onto the boat from the water. Would have to use the ladder, which a 4 year old could likely climb. The main concerns for her I see is simply jumping in and quickly getting separated from the boat. I am less inclined to think the prop played a role, but it is possible.
I don’t think the propeller played a part.

“Law enforcement sources tell us her son, Josey Hollis Dorsey, told deputies his mom had jumped in the water ... but didn't come back up”

I think they planned to take a quick swim and she injured herself on an unseen object in the water (rock, tree). Mom jumped in but never came back up.

Edited to add link
Naya Rivera Search Now Recovery Mission, Presumed Dead in Possible Drowning

Last edited:
I have spent alot of time on my parents pontoon boat.

We never have the ladder installed when the boat is moving and we never have the 'door' open when it is moving. Just a rule my stepdad has always had.

Ours has a ladder that once you 'install' it into the holes in the floor, it hangs into the water. My kids have been able to climb up it fairly easily themselves since a very young age (they are climbers though.)

My thought is that she jumped into the water with her son (perhaps due to 'natures call') thinking it could be just for a moment (no need for a life jacket), and maybe got tangled up in weeds below.

It sounds like the area possibly has some debris on the Lake floor. If there are weeds that come up high....it only takes a few moments to get a leg tangled up with that frightening sensation and panic.

This is a very upsetting tragedy.
My thoughts are with her family.

ETA - we also anchor the boat whenever the driver gets into the water to swim.

Just my two cents. JMO

Last edited:
BBM. This doesn't make sense to me. Here is a picture of the boats you rent on this lake. A 4 year old climbed up out of the water back into this boat while his mom was still in the water? It looks like you have to pull yourself almost a foot out of the water onto the boat where the "gate" is at the end.
View attachment 255049

Lake Piru Recreation Area (Link for image)

Many boats, including pontoon boats, have ladders that make it easy to climb back into the boat after one goes swimming.

pontoon boat ladder - بحث Google

Photo is from google image search

ETA: Sorry, others posted about this before I did.

Last edited:
No sure about the rental boats there, but our motor /propellers are in the back of the boat.

I don’t think the propeller played a part.

“Law enforcement sources tell us her son, Josey Hollis Dorsey, told deputies his mom had jumped in the water ... but didn't come back up”

I think they planned to take a quick swim and she injured herself on an unseen object in the water (rock, tree). Mom jumped in but never came back up.

Edited to add link
Naya Rivera Search Now Recovery Mission, Presumed Dead in Possible Drowning
That is what I am thinking.
My hubby had a friend in high school and they all went out to this friend's family's lake house to go swimming.
He was obviously familiar with the lake as he pretty much grew up there.
Hubby's friend dove off the end of the dock into too shallow water and was paralyzed from the neck down.
The guys with him couldn't believe he would dive there because, well, he knew it was shallow area, but he did and had this freak accident that impacted the rest of his life.
I love the water and lake life but I am always extremely cautious, much to the annoyance of family, but I don't care.
Accidents happen.

I think it's a far stretch to suggest that the phrase "just the two of us" is a reference to an Eminem song although in concert with the other post about tomorrow not being guaranteed it does kind of straddle the line between creepy coincidence and suggestive foreshadowing.
I wasn’t going to respond yesterday when I first saw the reference to an Eminem song, but after two more posts, and not that it matters- but I say/sing that (just the two of us..) with my son, but am referencing the Bill Withers & Will Smith song because that chorus easily gets stuck in my head.
Anyway, this is all so tragic. I’m praying for everyone, and either a miracle or a quick recovery and answers.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679
Back