CA - Oldest condemned inmate Clarence Ray Allen seeks to avoid execution

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jeana (DP) said:
So. Allowing him to remain in prison would be cruel punishment because he doesn't think he's getting good enough free medical care, but executing him would be cruel because he's about ready to die anyway? Maybe they should have just executed him before they allowed him to get this old?
I was thinking the same thing. They should have executed him earlier, before he got old and before he needed medical care. He would have been real healthy laying on the gurney.

As far as his medical care...I would much rather see taxpayer dollars go to healthcare for a working man supporting his family, who doesn't have health insurance. This creep and his lawyers have the nerve to complain! He was fed, housed and clothed for 20 freaking years and it didn't cost him a dime. There are so many people struggling to keep a roof over their heads, and food on the table for their kids. The SOB deserved to be put to death a long time ago. Putting him to death would only be putting him out of his misery.

It is almost beyond comprehension that anyone would actually go along with the thoughts of his legal team!

The prosecutor said he is a continuing threat to mankind because his brain is still very alert and he could order hits from behind the walls of SQ. This man has been on the case for what 22 years, and said he will be there when he is executed in Jan.

So what do you think Gov Schwartz . . will do? I think he will say, let the execution proceed! Wheel him in, hook him up and give him the juice.

Scandi

SadieMae said:
As far as his medical care...I would much rather see taxpayer dollars go to healthcare for a working man supporting his family, who doesn't have health insurance. This creep and his lawyers have the nerve to complain! He was fed, housed and clothed for 20 freaking years and it didn't cost him a dime. There are so many people struggling to keep a roof over their heads, and food on the table for their kids. The SOB deserved to be put to death a long time ago. Putting him to death would only be putting him out of his misery.

I cannot disagree. I wish I had health insurance. It things don't get better I will be homeless in 3 months. Such a sad thing to post for someone who has been working for 40 years. No matter how much we think our value is it is only another person's assessment. These perps take advantage of the system and use this to highlight their cases.

Sorry to hear that CP. I'll be praying for some good things to come your way.

SadieMae said:
Sorry to hear that CP. I'll be praying for some good things to come your way.
I'm with you, Sadie. Prayers are a'coming for you CP!

Being old just means that death is ever more welcome, and taking ever less away from you. And if he doesn't want to stumble down the steps, carry the idiot, whatever. He didn't give his victims this kind of courtesy.

All of his victims (nevermind the ones he seduced into committing the three killings after he was convicted of the first one - including his own son who is now doing LWOP.
Mary Sue Kitts, 17

Bryon Schletewitz, 27,
Josephine Rocha, 17,
Douglas White, 18

Clarence Allenpending The now-75-year-old death row inmate who plotted three killings 25 years ago - from inside Folsom Prison - will finally come face-to-face with the fate a Glenn County jury and judge pronounced in 1982. Glenn County Superior Court Judge Roy MacFarland is scheduled to re-sentence Clarence Ray Allen to three death sentences at a 10 a.m. hearing Nov. 18, and set the convicted killer's execution date. Allen has spent the last quarter-century housed at San Quentin Prison, appealing the conviction, the first in Glenn County history where a jury called for the death penalty. MacFarland presided over the triple-murder trial where Allen was convicted for his role as master conspirator and a contributor in the 1980 shooting deaths of Bryon Schletewitz, 27, Josephine Rocha, 17, and Douglas White, 18, at Fran's Market in Fresno. The November hearing follows an Oct. 3 decision by the U.S. Supreme Court denying Allen a hearing. That denial was Allen's final chance to avoid the death sentence 12 Glenn County citizens imposed decades earlier. A distant relative of victim Schletewitz told the Enterprise-Record that it was a shame the young man's parents, Fran and Ray, weren't alive to see justice in the killing that she said tore the family apart. "I just think it's about time they took care of that fellow," said Fran Schleadwitz of Fresno. "I guess due justice is coming around." MacFarland originally sentenced Allen to the three consecutive death sentences and scheduled the murder mastermind to be executed on May 22, 1987. Allen's numerous appeals to the California Supreme Court, the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court delayed his execution, but the courts upheld Allen's 1982 conviction. Now, Allen's only hope of dodging his imposed date with death is a reprieve by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger - unless nature intervenes. A month ago, the murder conspirator suffered a major heart attack. Allen's victims didn't have a series of appeals to save their lives. Pieced from 1982 reports of the Glenn County trial, the story of how an imprisoned Allen hired another inmate to kill several individuals to silence their testimonies follows: At the time of the market murders, Allen was serving a sentence at Folsom State Prison for ordering the 1974 murder of a 17-year-old woman named Mary Sue Kitts and planning and participating in a burglary that year of Fran's Market. At Allen's murder-burglary trial in 1977, it was reported that Kitts was ordered killed because she had told people - including Schletewitz - that Allen was involved in the market burglary. Both Schletewitz and his father, market owner Ray Schletewitz, testified against Allen at that trial. In 1980 while attempting to appeal his conviction, Allen plotted to silence the Schletewitzes and six other people he expected to testify against him. Allen befriended fellow Folsom inmate Billy Ray Hamilton, 32, who was soon to be paroled, promising $25,000 to perform the hit. Shortly after his parole in September 1980, Hamilton used a shotgun at close range, killing the younger Schletewitz, Rocha and White, and seriously wounding another. Hamilton was arrested five days later. A woman accomplice, Connie Barbo, 33, was arrested at the murder scene. Both were tried in Fresno and convicted of first-degree murder for the killings. Hamilton is at San Quentin Prison awaiting a death sentence. Barbo is serving a life sentence. Allen's 1982 change-of-venue trial in Glenn County tied up MacFarland's courtroom for the entire summer. The conspirator's defense at the 1982 trial was that it was his son, Kenneth Ray Allen, a key witness for the prosecution, who planned the killing. Assistant District Attorney Bob Ellis of Fresno County said in a telephone interview Thursday that Kenneth Allen was never tried because on the eve of trial he admitted a charge of murder with special circumstances, and is serving a sentence of life without possibility of parole for his participation in the triple slaying. Clarence Allen was 51 when he was charged in Fresno in 1981 for murder, conspiracy and other crimes, but an appeals court ordered the case assigned to Glenn County in March 1982. Allen pleaded not guilty at his arraignment before MacFarland June 7 to three counts of murder with special circumstances and one count of conspiracy to commit murder. The case was prosecuted by Ron Prager and Ward Campbell of the state Attorney General's office, who took over the case because of legal conflicts in the Fresno district attorney's office. The evidence phase began July 7 and ended Aug. 22 when the jury rendered verdicts of guilty on all counts. Court records list 162 items of evidence used in the trial. The penalty phase of the trial lasted from Aug. 30 until Sept. 10, with the same jury choosing the death penalty. MacFarland confirmed the jury's choice Nov. 22 by sentencing Allen to death. Security during the trial was heavy said Glenn County Sheriff Larry Jones recently. Jones was then a sheriff's sergeant and one many deputies assigned to trial security. Jones recalled that the Sheriff's Office transported Allen from San Quentin. Allen was kept isolated from other inmates in the old Glenn County Jail in quarters that usually housed women inmates. Security transports were planned each day for Allen's entry into the courtroom, Jones said. People were screened before entering the courtroom by male or female officers with hand-held wands and an airport-type metal detector that was set up on the landing halfway up the stairs to the courtroom, Jones remembered. The jury was sequestered during deliberations. Allen will not be at the hearing in November. Campbell, now capital crimes coordinator in the Attorney General's Office, will represent the state at the November hearing. In its request for the hearing, the state has requested the execution be set to occur Jan. 17, 2006.

POSTED: 2:41 pm PST January 10, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO -- The California Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to block the Jan. 17 execution of Clarence Ray Allen after the inmate claimed the punishment would be cruel and unusual because of his age and health problems.

In a two-sentence order signed by Chief Justice Ronald George, Allen's request for a reprieve was "denied on the merits."

An attorney for Allen said the 75-year-old condemned man, whose request for clemency to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is pending, would ask the federal courts to stop the execution.

On Dec. 23, Allen's attorneys petitioned California's justices to stop the execution, saying it would be inconsistent with "civilized behavior." Allen, the oldest person on California's death row, uses a wheelchair, suffered a stroke in September and is virtually deaf and blind.

State prosecutors rejected that position when they urged Schwarzenegger two weeks ago not to grant clemency. They said age and infirmities were irrelevant, and Allen "deserves to die for his monstrous crimes."Prosecutors argued that, because Allen had ordered killings from inside prison, keeping him alive could be a security risk.

While serving time for murder at Folsom State Prison in 1980, Allen was sentenced to death for hiring a hit man who killed three people at a Fresno market. Allen had the trio killed because he feared their testimony would hurt his chances of prevailing at overturning his murder conviction on appeal, prosecutors said.

The convicted hit man, Billy Ray Hamilton, also is on death row. Prosecutors said Hamilton was following Allen's orders when he killed Bryon Schletewitz, Douglas Scott White and Josephine Rocha. more at link:http://www.ktvu.com/news/5983618/detail.html

Aw come on California,do a good turn.Consider it putting him out of his misery.he should really be strung up.

proadvocate said:
Allen is too old and too sick to execute.Sounds good really,heck I'm almost in tears thinking of the sheer cruelty involved in executing such an old invalid.....I guess thats why I support eliminating 95% of the appeals process and executing these thugs while they're young enuff and healthy enuff to enjoy it.Why wait 20+ yrs to execute a murderer do it within 36 months and dodge the hassles of listening to their groupies for time infinitum.

I am with you! Spare me the pity party. :boohoo:

This guy is a vicious killer who even killed from behind bars (ordering the murder of 3 people). Disgusting. He is a poster child for why people should be put to death sooner rather than later.

"His conduct did not result from youth or inexperience,but instead from the hardened and calculating decisions of a mature man" _____ Gov . Schw. Calif.
Proof that there is no reason to delay the executions for years. 1,2,3 yrs maximum! Judgement & punishment should be clear just & swift!!

Condemned killer Clarence Ray Allen was denied clemency Friday by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who said the 75-year-old murderer's life should not be spared just because he is old and in ill health.

Although Allen still has an appeal pending before the U.S. Supreme Court, Schwarzenegger's decision increases the likelihood that Allen, who will turn 76 on Monday, will be executed Tuesday at San Quentin State Prison. He would be the oldest person executed in the state since California reinstated the death penalty in 1977.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002738924_webarnold13.html

Elderly Prisoner Loses Bid for Clemency

SAN FRANCISCO - The U.S. Supreme Court rejected an appeal Monday from a 76-year-old convicted killer who argued that he was too old and feeble to be executed.

The ruling cleared the way for Clarence Ray Allen _ legally blind, nearly deaf and in a wheelchair _ to be executed by injection early Tuesday for a triple murder he ordered from behind bars to silence witnesses to another killing.

Allen, whose birthday was Monday, stood to become the oldest person executed in California _ and the second-oldest put to death nationally _ since the Supreme Court allowed capital punishment to resume in 1976.

Allen raised two claims never before endorsed by the high court: that executing a frail old man would violate the U.S. Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment, and that the 23 years he spent on death row were unconstitutionally cruel as well.

The high court rejected all three of his requests for a stay of execution, about 10 hours before he was to be put to death.

More:
http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2006/01/16/ap/headlines/d8f626101.txt

Allen's Final Appeal Rejected

Clarence Ray Allen Scheduled To Die At 12:01 A.M. Tuesday

SAN FRANCISCO -- The U.S. Supreme Court rejected the final appeal by California's oldest condemned inmate Monday, setting the stage for the feeble killer to be carried into the death chamber minutes after his 76th birthday and executed by lethal injection.

Clarence Ray Allen was scheduled to die at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday for a triple murder he ordered from behind bars 25 years ago to silence witnesses to another killing.

"Allen deserves capital punishment because he was already serving a life sentence for murder when he masterminded the murders of three innocent young people and conspired to attack the heart of our criminal justice system," state prosecutor Ward Campbell said.

More: http://www.theksbwchannel.com/news/6157941/detail.html?rss=mty&psp=news

6158084_240X180.jpg

He doesn't look too feeble to me in this picture. Wonder how current it is?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back