Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly to get a better camera angle?

Or because you're so disoriented with dehydration and heat exhaustion that you don't know what you're doing?

Discussion in Sam Sayers' thread reminded me that another factor in Paul's disappearance could be panic. Panic can send you running in a random direction or convince you that there's a landmark ahead, just one more step. It can turn a situation where a bit of thought would get you out into a life-threatening crisis.

Not sure if this was (ever) posted, (I donut recall) likely not since it was written before Paul went hiking...but FWIW:

People Keep Finding Bodies in Joshua Tree

I'm posting because they mention these two RECENT UID cases:

CA - Ca - Skeletal Remains In Joshua Tree National Park, Near Stubbe Springs Loop, May 2018

CA - Ca - Partially Buried Remains In Joshua Tree National Park, Near Big Horn Pass Rd, June 2018

If nothing else, I offer reading material while we wait for an update...

WHERE IS PAUL????

Joshua Tree NPS has recently responded to some comments under the August 17th post about Paul. They confirmed/clarified:
- a hiker reported seeing him on the trail that morning
- they requested and received aid and resources from a number of other agencies
- they will expand the recovery efforts as the weather/conditions moderate
- a helicopter has been used extensively along with "methodical binocular searches from peaks" which provides better visuals than drones

Joshua Tree National Park

Not sure if this was (ever) posted, (I donut recall) likely not since it was written before Paul went hiking...but FWIW:

People Keep Finding Bodies in Joshua Tree

I'm posting because they mention these two RECENT UID cases:

CA - Ca - Skeletal Remains In Joshua Tree National Park, Near Stubbe Springs Loop, May 2018

CA - Ca - Partially Buried Remains In Joshua Tree National Park, Near Big Horn Pass Rd, June 2018

If nothing else, I offer reading material while we wait for an update...

WHERE IS PAUL????

Thanks for the info.

I plotted the approximate locations on a map, if anyone else is curious. The bodies seem to have been found in locations with roads relatively nearby; possibly dumped?

Attachments

• JTNP map.JPG
    JTNP map.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 20
Given all the missing hikers, remains found, etc. I think it should be mandatory that any JT hiker have to "rent" a GPS they are required to strap around their ankle, and a set of emergency flares. The rental revenue could help maintain the park, and the gps and flares could save lives.

Given all the missing hikers, remains found, etc. I think it should be mandatory that any JT hiker have to "rent" a GPS they are required to strap around their ankle, and a set of emergency flares. The rental revenue could help maintain the park, and the gps and flares could save lives.

Great idea. Even better might be a Satellite Messenger like a Spot or similar. Some have an emergency button directly to SAR and the ability to text your contacts that you're okay but need help. Spots can be rented (though don't ask me where). IMO a great idea would be to rent one and be assessed a substantial additional fee (payable by credit card info as deposit, like a hotel) if you have to deploy it.

Here's an REI mini-lesson on safety messenger devices: How to Choose PLBs and Satellite Messengers

I figure if you're required to rent bear spray canisters at Yellowstone and bear barrels at Yosemite, you can also be required to rent Spots. Heck, they could even use the same rental procedure.

Great idea. Even better might be a Satellite Messenger like a Spot or similar. Some have an emergency button directly to SAR and the ability to text your contacts that you're okay but need help. Spots can be rented (though don't ask me where). IMO a great idea would be to rent one and be assessed a substantial additional fee (payable by credit card info as deposit, like a hotel) if you have to deploy it.

Here's an REI mini-lesson on safety messenger devices: How to Choose PLBs and Satellite Messengers

I figure if you're required to rent bear spray canisters at Yellowstone and bear barrels at Yosemite, you can also be required to rent Spots. Heck, they could even use the same rental procedure.
Even better! This is a must do as far as I’m concerned, and could have the added bonus of helping fill the park’s coffers. Most of all, save lives.

I now dub this, “Project Paul”.

Sorry, I have some graphic questions, and I don't mean to be disrespectful: If Paul was hiking where he said he was going to be, and as quickly as the SAR folks were notified when he didn't return, why has there been no mention of bird/animal activity in the area he supposedly disappeared from? If he was lost in the area and had an eventually fatal accident, why no vulture/buzzard/carrion bird activity? Wouldn't there have been some? Surely the SAR people have discussed this, possibly to identify potential search areas.

Going to the bathroom is the main reason I can think of.
I think that, too. But if that's what happened, it would be crazy misplaced modesty, since there was no one for miles around who could get a peek. No need for "privacy." He could've peed in the trail, for gosh sake.

Added bonus? It would have evaporated right up!

Sorry, I have some graphic questions, and I don't mean to be disrespectful: If Paul was hiking where he said he was going to be, and as quickly as the SAR folks were notified when he didn't return, why has there been no mention of bird/animal activity in the area he supposedly disappeared from? If he was lost in the area and had an eventually fatal accident, why no vulture/buzzard/carrion bird activity? Wouldn't there have been some? Surely the SAR people have discussed this, possibly to identify potential search areas.

We discussed this upthread.

a. Vultures don't throng to Joshua Tree, and it was mighty hot for them to be thronging anywhere.
b. The desert heat may have affected decomposition and made a fatality unpalatable.

And JT Park is home to seven varieties of rattlesnake: Mohave desert sidewinder, Colorado desert sidewinder, speckled, Mohave green, red diamond, southern pacific and western diamondback.
Source: Hi-Desert star, may 5 2017

That's certainly a possibility! How long does it take to become incapacitated from a snake bite? Would he have been able to get back on the trail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow