CA CA - Peter McColl, 16, Berkeley, 28 Aug 1995

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also, he's listed with dark brown hair
In some of the pictures it looks reddish brown. From sun possible? So would it be possible he's listed as a UID with auburn or light brown hair if he spent alot of time either hitch hiking or walking out doors?

Another question. Tattoos.. At that age it's hard to get, a professional tattoo. Or at least it was for me (we're close in age) so my friends and I played with homemade tattoos and Indian inks..
So did he actually have this tattoo because is says possibly.. And if he did was it a homemade tattoo (that could be interpretated as something else) or a professional tattoo that is identifiable?

I find the wallet detail confusing. It sounds like his wallet was left at home but it was emptied of its contents?
He did not take his glasses but he was wearing contacts when he left? If he were going to run away you would think he would take his glasses rather than dealing with contact cleaning, solution, etc.
What was he doing going to this Montclair place?
I mean if he took a bus to the GG bridge this would scream suicide but Montclair is apparently an inland suburban area.
What were these problems at home that have been alluded to?

Montclair is a part of Oakland but not the Oakland of popular imagination. It is an upscale residential neighborhood with nothing obvious that would attract a High School aged boy. There are no hang out spots for young people; kids from Montclair went to Berkeley. There were no hiking trails nor was it a jumping off spot for hitchhiking or public transportation out of the Bay Area. There was no suicide jumping bridge and no undeveloped land anywhere near the bus stop where a body could easily be hidden.

The most likely reason Peter went there, if he did go there, would be to meet up with someone he knew. Montclair was economically and socially very similar to the neighborhood Peter lived in and there was certainly some social interaction by kids from the two neighborhoods even if they went to different High Schools.

Montclair is a part of Oakland but not the Oakland of popular imagination. It is an upscale residential neighborhood with nothing obvious that would attract a High School aged boy. There are no hang out spots for young people; kids from Montclair went to Berkeley. There were no hiking trails nor was it a jumping off spot for hitchhiking or public transportation out of the Bay Area. There was no suicide jumping bridge and no undeveloped land anywhere near the bus stop where a body could easily be hidden.

The most likely reason Peter went there, if he did go there, would be to meet up with someone he knew. Montclair was economically and socially very similar to the neighborhood Peter lived in and there was certainly some social interaction by kids from the two neighborhoods even if they went to different High Schools.
Thanks! Yes I was looking for water/woods/land around there but nothing popped out as a destination to me in that regard.

I would be interested in learning if there were ever approximate times given for the very few reported sightings of Peter the day he disappeared. Peter was last seen outside his home by family members heading towards a bus stop at approximately 9 a.m. This is definite, however, if trying to solidify possible sightings, I believe establishing estimated times could be an important factor.

Per Peter's sister's initial post, a bus driver came forward claiming he saw Peter on two separate occasions that day. If accurate, the first would have occurred just minutes after Peter left his home. The driver claimed to have initially seen Peter board his bus from the stop on Solano Avenue where Peter indicated he was heading to reach his supposedly intended destination of Cody's Books on Telegraph Avenue - where he told his family members he was going. However, upon boarding the bus, the driver said Peter asked for directions to Montclair. The driver stated he saw Peter get off his bus to transfer to another in downtown Berkeley that would take him to Montclair - I elaborate on this further below.

Interestingly enough, the same bus driver also said he actually saw Peter once again that day in Montclair while he was on his lunch break. He reported to have seen him with a "clean cut, Caucasian boy with an English accent," again according to Peter's sister's earlier posts on this forum. Furthermore, he claimed Peter approached and conversed with him. To me this seems almost too coincidental. I am interested in learning if the sightings of this bus driver contradict with the other very few leads that were reported.

Both Peter's mom and sister in posts mentioned a thrift store clerk seeing Peter purchase a red t-shirt at a Goodwill on University Avenue the day he disappeared. He was recognized from previous visits. Was an approximate time ever given for this interaction? I think this sighting in accordance with Peter saying he was going to Telegraph Avenue and the bus driver stating he asked for directions to Montclair is interesting.

The University Avenue Goodwill is located relatively close to downtown Berkeley where he reportedly transferred busses. (I am from nowhere near Berkeley, California - please correct me if I am wrong, I tried my best to figure out geographic locations using Google Earth and Maps.) However, how could the bus driver see him get on Bus 51 if he did go into Goodwill that day? Is it known which bus stop Peter would have gotten off at to transfer to Bus 51? Is it anywhere near the Goodwill?

Additionally, Peter's sister mentions in a previous post two girls who knew Peter saw him at about 4 p.m. that day again on a bus. I think if both applicable and given, comparing approximate times to this sighting could be interesting, especially as the direction the bus was traveling was in the opposite direction of Peter's home, Montclair and Telegraph Avenue.

I also find it interesting Peter supposedly never even made it to Cody's Books that day. His sister mentions questioning the employees and no one could place Peter inside the store that day. I also think based upon previous posts in this forum, Peter was also not able to be placed on Telegraph Avenue that day either at any time.

Rebecca, @augustday, obviously in my post I am asking you these questions as you are the "insider" on this forum and the most likely to have the information. I apologize if my post is just fueling useless speculation. As you said unfortunately many years ago in your earliest posts, there is little to go on and this is my rationalization for doing so. It is not my intention to fuel pointless speculation or perpetuate the unknown you face everyday. Please do not feel obligated to reply. I was hesitant to post, but want you to know I am sincerely interested in the case of your brother and want there to be answers.

While I cannot begin to imagine what you have endured these past 26 years, I understand the love of a brother. I hope one day soon you and your family are given answers and Peter is found.

My thoughts often turn to Peter, wish there was some new news or an updated article!​

Peter John McColl​

Peter John McColl

Peter John McColl

MISSING SINCE:08/28/1995SEX:Male
DOB:07/30/1979RACE:White
HEIGHT:6EYES:Blue
WEIGHT:160 lbs.HAIR:Brown
CLOTHING:Black jeans, grey t-shirt, grey sweatshirt, Doc-Marten brand boots
DENTAL X-RAYS AVAILABLE:Yes
Peter McColl was last seen on August 28, 1995, in Berkeley. Photo on left is age-progressed to 30 years of age. Age progression is provided by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).
Contact
AGENCY:Berkeley Police Department
PHONE NUMBER:(510) 644-6744
CASE NUMBER:95-48368

• From link, ty.
  • peter_john_mccoll_3.jpg
  • mccoll_peter4.jpg
  • peter_john_mccoll_5.jpg
  • peter_john_mccoll_6.jpg
  • peter_john_mccoll_7.jpg
  • ''Missing Since08/28/1995
  • Missing FromBerkeley, California
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth07/30/1979 (44)
  • Age16 years old
  • Height and Weight6'0, 160 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA light gray t-shirt with "Berkeley Crew" imprinted on the front, a light gray sweatshirt with "US Rowing" imprinted on the front, size L or XL black jeans and Dr. Marten's boots.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Peter has slight scarring near the tip of his right pinky finger and he has previously fractured his left forearm/elbow. He is extremely nearsighted with 20/400 vision. He was wearing his contact lenses with him at the time of his disappearance and did not carry his eyeglasses. Peter may wear his hair tied back in a ponytail. He has heavy eyebrows and may have a mustache, beard or a goatee. Peter's nickname is Rainbow. He may have a tattoo of a skull on his upper left arm.''

Peter's cousin here, I found this thread today and wanted to give it a bump. I've been thinking about him a lot lately. Just want to remind everyone that Peter is still very much loved by his family, and while unfortunate possibilities about his fate have to be considered, refraining from being callous in those considerations is much appreciated. I hope and pray he is alright somewhere, sharing all the gifts he has to offer. Miracles can happen. We love you Peter.

Peter's cousin here, I found this thread today and wanted to give it a bump. I've been thinking about him a lot lately. Just want to remind everyone that Peter is still very much loved by his family, and while unfortunate possibilities about his fate have to be considered, refraining from being callous in those considerations is much appreciated. I hope and pray he is alright somewhere, sharing all the gifts he has to offer. Miracles can happen. We love you Peter.

Welcome @PetersCousin! Thank you for your bump and for being here. We hope along with you that Peter will be a miracle and return to his loving family. I love looking at his photos and reading about his personality and interests. He seems delightful. I spent a lot of time on Telegraph Ave as a highschool and college student many eons ago, and my husband is a graduate of BHS, hence my interest in Peter. I’ve cycled through all the possibilities over the years without being able to reach any reasonable conclusion. We’ve seen it all here on Websleuths and are often surprised. I hope you will hang around. Wishing you and Peter’s family well and hoping for good news.

Bumping... I went to school with Peter. My ex-husband was a close friend of his (one of his best friends)

Did your ex-husband hear of any theories about Peter back in the day when this happened? Do you think that this mystery well dressed person with an accent that was supposedly last seen speaking to Peter according to the bus driver actually existed? Does that description fit anybody that may have been in Peter's life at the time? Thank you.

If you are still in contact with your ex-husband, I hope he knows that people are still thinking about his best friend from back in the days. I hope both are you well.

Former North Berkeley resident here. I've known about this case from the beginning and I'm surprised this theory hasn't been brought up, as it was suggested locally after the incident first broke:

The likeliest scenario is Peter McColl went on a solo, off-trail hike that morning in nearby Tilden Park and used the Cody's Books "errand" as a ruse, because no sensible parent would allow their child to do such. This wasn't the first instance he did this, but that day would be the last. During the Tilden trip, he either got seriously injured/incapacitated, lost/dehydrated, or (least likely) was attacked by a wild animal - one, or a combination proved to be fatal and nature's elements left no obvious trace.

There's a public staircase [Indian Rock Path] on the northeast corner of Solano Avenue/Alameda which eventually leads to the eponymous rock climbing park. This is close to where Peter McColl was last seen and is a common outset for Tilden-bound sightseers. Solano Avenue is generally busy that time of day; the path and park, not so much, and anyone could use those stairs without being noticed because parked or idle vehicles obstruct the view (not to mention, you can only witness someone ascend/descend from certain angles of that intersection. So, it would be easy to assume a passenger got on or off a bus, or entered/exited the Northbrae Tunnel).

Once Indian Rock Path ends around the park, there's several routes to get to Tilden - the closest being Marin Avenue. It's a steep incline regardless, but if you're fit, you'll get a great workout. At this point you're in the heart of Berkeley Hills where residents take privacy seriously. It's also difficult to notice passersby, with all the trees/vegetation and winding streets. Blink, and you could miss a flash of hair or a moving torso.

By the time you reach Wildcat Canyon Road, you have the option of either taking an uncultivated shortcut onto Selby Trail or going all-in with bushwhacking. The latter is not recommended, but, people do it anyway (hiking, biking, or wild plant picking). For a novice, vision-impaired teenager with (I'm assuming) no water bottle during the Summer months ... going off-trail by yourself in Tilden is a very BAD idea. We have to consider mobile phones weren't as widely available in 1995 and if you found yourself barely clinging to life at, say, the bottom of a 20 ft ravine, no ping is going to locate you.

The expanse of Tilden Park makes for an easy place to disappear since a missing person or their remains may not be recovered for hours ... or in the case of ancient indigenous people, centuries from now. There's plenty of nooks and crannies a search/recovery crew could overlook up there. Several more variables for sure, but most trails in the East Bay hills are not rated "easy" (and this applies to hikers who stay on path).

Former North Berkeley resident here. I've known about this case from the beginning and I'm surprised this theory hasn't been brought up, as it was suggested locally after the incident first broke:

The likeliest scenario is Peter McColl went on a solo, off-trail hike that morning in nearby Tilden Park and used the Cody's Books "errand" as a ruse, because no sensible parent would allow their child to do such. This wasn't the first instance he did this, but that day would be the last. During the Tilden trip, he either got seriously injured/incapacitated, lost/dehydrated, or (least likely) was attacked by a wild animal - one, or a combination proved to be fatal and nature's elements left no obvious trace.

There's a public staircase [Indian Rock Path] on the northeast corner of Solano Avenue/Alameda which eventually leads to the eponymous rock climbing park. This is close to where Peter McColl was last seen and is a common outset for Tilden-bound sightseers. Solano Avenue is generally busy that time of day; the path and park, not so much, and anyone could use those stairs without being noticed because parked or idle vehicles obstruct the view (not to mention, you can only witness someone ascend/descend from certain angles of that intersection. So, it would be easy to assume a passenger got on or off a bus, or entered/exited the Northbrae Tunnel).

Once Indian Rock Path ends around the park, there's several routes to get to Tilden - the closest being Marin Avenue. It's a steep incline regardless, but if you're fit, you'll get a great workout. At this point you're in the heart of Berkeley Hills where residents take privacy seriously. It's also difficult to notice passersby, with all the trees/vegetation and winding streets. Blink, and you could miss a flash of hair or a moving torso.

By the time you reach Wildcat Canyon Road, you have the option of either taking an uncultivated shortcut onto Selby Trail or going all-in with bushwhacking. The latter is not recommended, but, people do it anyway (hiking, biking, or wild plant picking). For a novice, vision-impaired teenager with (I'm assuming) no water bottle during the Summer months ... going off-trail by yourself in Tilden is a very BAD idea. We have to consider mobile phones weren't as widely available in 1995 and if you found yourself barely clinging to life at, say, the bottom of a 20 ft ravine, no ping is going to locate you.

The expanse of Tilden Park makes for an easy place to disappear since a missing person or their remains may not be recovered for hours ... or in the case of ancient indigenous people, centuries from now. There's plenty of nooks and crannies a search/recovery crew could overlook up there. Several more variables for sure, but most trails in the East Bay hills are not rated "easy" (and this applies to hikers who stay on path).
Welcome to Ws @QuocLikesGuac, thank you for the interesting local tidbits!

Welcome to Ws @QuocLikesGuac, thank you for the interesting local tidbits!

You're welcome for my sharing of the local tidbits. I felt this was long past due to bring up because many on this board may not be from Berkeley or familiar with that area of the city. Unless you're already in the know about the Indian Rock Path cutoff, at first glimpse it could easily double as someone's driveway, creating the optical illusion that a pedestrian vanished into thin air. And it was in the very place where the teen disappeared.

As much as the leads on the bus/taxi are fascinating to speculate about, they were always unconfirmed, and this was documented in the syndicated news articles. During any Summer break in the East Bay, a teen male with Peter McColl's looks would have been typical to most public transit passengers or employees. I think the driver of the 35th/Redwood Rd. AC bus had good intentions, but that location in Oakland is so off-course, my hunch is the rider he talked to was someone else. Without surveillance footage or testimony from someone who knew Peter McColl personally, any sighting after the verified appearance at Solano/Alameda would have been hearsay. The same would be true if he was observed in transit to the GG Bridge (which was also theorized on here).

I must also point out that despite the publicity this case received at the time, there was a lack of cooperation from many in the Berkeley community, either because of distrust in law enforcement or some residents' tendency to make everything polemic and political. I think this inadvertently hurt momentum for a breakthrough and locked in a hodgepodge of unsorted info for missing persons organizations.

Finally, I have to agree with earlier assessments that Peter McColl probably wasn't depressed. However, the claim that he endured a lot of stress at Berkeley High School is very believable, based on the 1994 PBS Frontline documentary "School Colors". While the BHS Crew Team trains with the music of Led Zeppelin in the background, the student captain muses how he uses physical activity to channel his anger about the violence against him (language, assaults. Viewer discretion is advised). There's a younger, bushy-haired kid also training with the team about 1.5 hours in. I'll leave it up to the "insiders" whether the student was Peter McColl.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxooowow
Back