Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This disappearance certainly is a mystery. Perhaps Philip did have some sort of incident or collapse while out running...or he could have met with foul play. Yet there is also the stark possibility he walked away from his life.

I had been reading on Websleuths for at least a year before I decided to join in 2008 because I wanted to get in on the discussions. One of the first cases I followed closely was that of Nicholas Francisco. I was never the same. Here's an article about his case:

‘Missing’ SeaTac man found with new name, in new state

I wonder if Phillip was training for anything. The reason I ask is that I have two friends who are into long distance walking. They walk together all the time, mainly early early mornings before work in the summer when it's cool. However, they have a hot weather walk/race coming up in Sept. so they purposely set out on a ten mile walk mid-day on Sat. when the heat index here was over 100 just so they could start getting used to walking in the heat of the day. That could be one reason he went for a run in the mid-day heat when he normally never did. Just an idea.

I do find it odd that if he was planning to run right after mailing the package that he didn't just wear his running clothes to the UPS store. If I'm going to exercise right after an errand, I would not wear one outfit to the errand and then immediately change into another. Now I could see if he was planning to run shirtless, putting on a casual shirt to go into the UPS store and then taking it off for his run. Is it possible that's what happened?

I haven't ruled out a voluntary walk-away but my understanding is they DID find footprints matching his on that trail. That's the only thing that seems odd to me for a walkaway. That means he'd have to really be planting "evidence" of sorts that he was there and sending people on a wild goose chase searching that trail for him. I don't know, that's the only thing that's odd to me. Saying you'll be there and leaving your car - OK. Actually going on a run first to plant footprints is obviously not impossible but just seems over the top, but that's MOO. Maybe he did.

I wonder if Phillip was training for anything. The reason I ask is that I have two friends who are into long distance walking. They walk together all the time, mainly early early mornings before work in the summer when it's cool. However, they have a hot weather walk/race coming up in Sept. so they purposely set out on a ten mile walk mid-day on Sat. when the heat index here was over 100 just so they could start getting used to walking in the heat of the day. That could be one reason he went for a run in the mid-day heat when he normally never did. Just an idea.
In the AMA, the friend said that Phillip didn't do races. It didn't sound like he was training for anything. It also didn't seem like he was purposely trying to train in heat conditions. The late start appeared to be because the friend didn't want to get up before 7:30am or he would be too zapped for the day, then the time it would take to drive to this location, etc. The time of the run seems to be because of the day's logistics, etc. and not because of any training type plan.

Those text exchanges trying to make a plan were A LOT. Not that there was anything wrong with them, but it would make me just want to run on my own or with a group where there is just a set plan and time and place and show up if you can make it and if you can't, see you next time.

That's actually what struck me the most when reading those texts trying to make a plan -- that it was an excessive amount of back and forth and details just to come up with a time and place. The heat and temperature factors seemed to truly take a backseat to what time they could leave, what errands had to be run, how long the drive was, who else could make it, family, what time they wanted to wake up, etc etc.

That's actually what struck me the most when reading those texts trying to make a plan -- that it was an excessive amount of back and forth and details just to come up with a time and place. The heat and temperature factors seemed to truly take a backseat to what time they could leave, what errands had to be run, how long the drive was, who else could make it, family, what time they wanted to wake up, etc etc.

I also felt this way. I hesitated to say something because of gender stereotyping, but it felt especially odd for guys. And weirdly formal, almost?

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but even the most educated tech geniuses in my family, the usual back and forth banter between the guys? It would have read more like "Hey @sshole. See you on the trail later." or "You wanna run tomorrow, or you have kid duty?"

It would make sense that Philip would have had extra clothes (besides the running shorts/shirt) since he was going to Stockton to meet up with his wife/kids after the run. I'd imagine he'd want to change into something clean/dry before going to meet them. Maybe he wore regular clothes into the UPS store and then planned to wear those same clothes again after the run.

I am not puzzled by the clothing left in the car. (It makes a whole lot of sense to have a clean/dry set of clothing!). I am just questioning how CT would know what was in his car. Was he there when police accessed it? Did they tell him what they’d found?

He did not wear running clothes.
Maybe I did not word my post correctly.
I would not wear (he did not) running clothes to mail a package.(If I were Philip)
If I had worn running clothes, I could then be associated with running clothes if I was seen at the mailing center.(My last seen physically place)
I would wear normal clothes to mail the package if I wanted to disappear myself.

I would wear normal clothes to mail the package if I wanted to disappear myself.

Could he not have just dropped it into a postbox?

Surely the only reason he needed to visit an actual post office counter and get served by a clerk is if the package was too big and wouldn't fit in a street collection box?

MOO

I wouldn't wear running clothes to mail a package if I didn't want to be identified later as a missing runner.
If I wanted to go poof! on my own.

Ha! I was thinking along similar lines but the reverse. That knowing the UPS camera would capture what he was wearing, it came off in the car so nobody could describe what he was wearing.

And that's what happened. He's described as "probably no shirt", which I find so odd. Why has the conclusion been made that he probably wasn't wearing a shirt?

Could he not have just dropped it into a postbox?

Surely the only reason he needed to visit an actual post office counter and get served by a clerk is if the package was too big and wouldn't fit in a street collection box?

MOO

…or he needed a receipt for the return.

Also the theory that he’s somehow “disguising” himself at the parcel drop by not wearing running clothes makes no sense. First, he wouldn’t have told his friend and wife he was mailing anything if it was in aid of a disappearance, and the clerk wouldn’t have accepted the package without a return address. And surely we’d know by now if he had provided a fake return address.

UPS commonly accepts Amazon returns for free return shipping. Once you set up the Amazon return online the UPS store scans a code and you hand them the item. LE said it was a return and I am guessing that is why he was at UPS. He was not mailing a package at the post office, there is no return address involved in Amazon returns. If a package pickup for return is chosen, there is a significant fee, thus most take returns back to a UPS shop or a Whole Foods, etc. so the return is free of shipping or pickup charges. MOO that is what happened here.

…or he needed a receipt for the return.

Also the theory that he’s somehow “disguising” himself at the parcel drop by not wearing running clothes makes no sense. First, he wouldn’t have told his friend and wife he was mailing anything if it was in aid of a disappearance, and the clerk wouldn’t have accepted the package without a return address. And surely we’d know by now if he had provided a fake return address.

This is going down a rabbit hole, but a person might do exactly this if they wanted to set up a story.

Is it possible he mailed the package, drove to the trail, someone else carried something with his scent partway to the trail as a decoy, and he himself left immediately by other means? (i.e. if another vehicle parked right beside his, and he climbed inside.)

I'm not saying is this likely or not. Just wondering what could be possible? I'm far from an expert when it comes to scent tracking dogs.

Someone mentioned upthread that the media had made some factual errors in reporting.

Here’s something I found interesting. The reporter for the local affiliate Weekend Search For Missing Jogger Comes Up Empty; 'We Feel We Should Have Found Philip By Now'says that no trace of Philip was found.
There was supposedly his scent on a trail and supposedly his footprints on a trail.

Who’s correct? IMO, the reporter should have included those details, e.g., “Kreycik’s scent was tracked by sheriff’s canine units for 40 feet on the trail and then vanished.” Or “footprints matching the size and brand of Philip’s running shoes, we’re discovered at this point on the trail”…

Shoddy reporting?

He did not wear running clothes.
Maybe I did not word my post correctly.
I would not wear (he did not) running clothes to mail a package.(If I were Philip)
If I had worn running clothes, I could then be associated with running clothes if I was seen at the mailing center.(My last seen physically place)
As a runner, this is correct. I wear running gear for errands. Unless I didn’t want to be identified as a runner. That’s an extremely astute point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishbl