Identified! CA - Santa Cruz, WhtMale, 26-32, UP3060, homicide, found in state park, tattoo of red rose with 3 leaves, Oct '82 - Rodney Alan Rumsey

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score
NamUs #UP3060 / DoeNetwork 3293UMCA

Demographics
Sex: Male
Race/Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Adult
Estimated Age Range (Years): 26-32 (news reports say 20 to 40)
Estimated Year of Death: 1982
Estimated PMI: 3 Months
Height: 5'7" (67 inches), Measured (news reports say between 5'6" and 5'8")
Weight: Cannot Estimate (news reports say approx. 150 lbs)
Cause of Death: Homicide

Circumstances
Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: October 6, 1982
NamUs Case Created: January 25, 2009
ME/C QA Reviewed: N/A
Location Found: Santa Cruz, California
County: Santa Cruz County
Circumstances of Recovery: The decedent was found by a hiker laying face down at the base on thick brush along the east bank of Moore Creek in Natural Bridges State Park at around 4:30 p.m. on October 6, 1982.

The location was in a eucalyptus grove along a service road. Detectives said the death was being investigated as a homicide.
Inventory of Remains: All parts recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Mummified

Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: Light brown to blonde hair
Facial Hair Description: Sparse reddish-blonde beard hairs, 2 inches in length
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinctive Physical Features: Tattoo on left wrist of a red rose with 3 green leaves; tattoo on right forearm of Indian face with red eyes and red-tipped feathers

Clothing and Accessories
- Blue denim "Levi's" jacket with tan color flaps; maroon color vest; dark red and blue plaid long sleeve Gino Fabrini shirt; blue jean trousers; blue canvas pants (On the Body)
- Blue Action-Pro shoes (size 10) with brown leather replacement laces, described as "well-worn". (On the Body)

News Coverage
"Decomposed body found in state park," Santa Cruz Sentinel, 7 October 1982, A2.
Decomposed body found in state park_.jpg
A hiker found the badly decomposed body in Natural Bridges State Park Wednesday afternoon, but investigators were unable to determine whether the body was male or female after a preliminary investigation.

[...]

The body was found about 4:30 p.m. laying face down at the base of thick brush near Moore Creek.

"Foul play suspected in death," Santa Cruz Sentinel, 8 October 1982, A2.
Foul play suspected in death_.jpg
Police are asking for help in identifying the man. The body was found about 4 p.m. on the east slope of Moore Creek near some bushes, said Detective Lt. Dan Fite of the Santa Cruz Police Department.

The man is described as anywhere from 20 to 40 years old, about 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighing about 150 pounds. He wore two pair [sic] of blue jeans, a red plaid long-sleeved shirt, a dark red or maroon vest, and had a Levi's jacket.

Fite also said the man was wearing a well-worn pair of blue running shoes with brown shoelaces.

[...]

Fite said the body was "mummified" when found, indicating it had been there for some time.

[...]

"We're investigating it as a homicide, but we won't know a whole lot about it until we determine who he is," said Fite.

At this point in the investigation, detectives have declined to comment on why they suspect foul play.

"Lab tests on body reveal two tattoos," Santa Cruz Sentinel, 11 January 1983, A12.
Lab tests on body reveal two tattoos_.jpg
Santa Cruz police Lt. Dan Fite said the man had a tattoo of a red rose with three green leaves on his left forearm and a tattoo of an Indian skull on his right forearm.

The tips of the feathers on the Indian's headdress and the eye sockets were colored in red, the remainder of the drawing was done in black, said Fite.

1672405607821.png

Victim: John Doe, white male 25-35 years of age, 150 lbs.
Date: October 6, 1982

On October 6, 1982 at approximately 4:30 PM a hiker located an unidentified body on an embankment above Moore Creek outlet with in Natural Bridges State Park.

Subsequent investigations by the Santa Cruz Police Department and the Santa Cruz County Sheriff – Coroner’s Office have generated no leads as to the identity of the victim. An examination of the body did reveal evidence that the victim’s death was the result of a probable homicide. The victim is believed to be a white male adult 5’6” to 5’8”, 150lbs with brown/blond hair.

The victim had a tattoo of a red rose with three green leaves on his left forearm, and a tattoo of an Indian skull on his right forearm. The tips of the feathers and the eye sockets on the skull tattoo are red in color; the remainder of the tattoo is done in black ink.

If you have information about this case, please call Santa Cruz Police Department Investigations at (831) 420-5820 of the Santa Cruz Police Department Tip Line at (831) 420-5995

His NamUs profile is down. Since my last check 4 UID profiles from CA have been removed, but the solved cases for CA has only increased by 3, and I don't know which of the 4 is not solved.

His NamUs profile is down. Since my last check 4 UID profiles from CA have been removed, but the solved cases for CA has only increased by 3, and I don't know which of the 4 is not solved.
Which were the other 2? I know about this one and Eric being removed.

Which were the other 2? I know about this one and Eric being removed.
It's UP102026 and UP102029, I don't think they had a thread on WS. They were added 04/03/2023 and removed some time in the past couple of days.

I wonder if someone recognized his tattoos.

SOLVED:

Using these new leads, law enforcement continued the investigation reaching out to potential family members. They were then able to identify the man as Rodney Alan Rumsey of Sacramento, CA. Rumsey was born May 25, 1954, but details of his life are sparse. An investigation into the circumstances around Rumsey's death continues.

Michael Vogen, the director of account management at Othram Labs, stepped us through their critical role in cracking the case and providing answers law enforcement had been searching for.

"Othram is the first private laboratory in North America that was purpose-built to generate human ID from forensic evidence and crime scene evidence," Vogen said. "We're working cases like this one all across California right now and having a great deal of success."

"DNA extract that was derived from bone from California DOJ was sent to us, of course, with permission of the Santa Cruz police," Vogen said. "We did what's called a suitability analysis on it and measured how much DNA is truly there."

"In this case, it was genealogy that pointed towards a family, and then what I think the really cool thing is, the FBI got involved and they were able to use some fingerprinting, once they had an idea of who it may be, to confirm that identity," Vogen said.

"This started out as an unidentified human remains case and now, they have a new homicide case that they're investigating," Vogen said. "The community is impacted, the detectives are impacted, decades of family members, and it feels really good, and we celebrate it and then it's on to the next one."

I'm glad you have your ame back Rodeny and that your family has some answers. May you get the justice that you deserve.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rixada
Back