Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think sex traffickers are stupid? Do you think they just snatch random women off the street without any forethought? That is not a successful business model. Sex traffickers who did this would not be in business for long.

YES. Some are very stupid. Others, not so much.

But there are plenty of 'wannabe' types of criminals who try to do things they are too stupid/inexperienced/high to be able to do.

I have seen some dismissive posts....maybe it's just me..

Although this case has quite a bit of hinkiness to it, I feel sex trafficking should be at the top of the possible motives list as things stand now.
SP's age and life circumstances certainly don't look like most ST "kidnappings" but we are talking about a pretty despicable industry here. I don't think these guys follow any sort of steadfast guidelines. Money talks. If someone wanted to pay for a pretty thirty something mother, i am sure there is some dirtbag out there willing to make it happen.
Let's not forget the mail order bride industry is just a glorified sex trafficking operation in a lot of cases.
JMO

A couple of posts have been removed.

Just a reminder as per beach's post at the beginning of this thread ... please refrain from veiled references and insinuations towards victims.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ng-2-November-2016-18&p=12990575#post12990575

This ain't my first rodeo. I've been moderating for 8 years and I recognize insinuations no matter how thinly veiled they are worded. Some of you are dangerously close to suggesting SP and/or KP were in some sort of cahoots with CG other than trusting him to help secure the release of SP from her captors. Do not go there.

:tyou:

I don't think some people are dismissing the reality of sex trafficking, but instead, as a motive in this particular case.

Especially, for me, I don't think it's helpful to sow moral panic that there are organized, successful gangs roaming our streets snatching random women, and therefore no one is safe. It's bad enough we have to deal with our anxieties about the occasional deeply disturbed individual, but to make out that everyone is now at risk from growing organized gangs in our midst comes across to me as a sort of fear-mongering that is potentially quite destructive to women's sense of safety and community.

I most certainly do not think any of the above. I do not think that the traffickers just randomly grab random women, although it has HAPPENED.

But they do target innocent women who are alone, new to a city, lacking support networks, or just naive. And I don't think people really understand that. I think they assume that the traffickers only go after homeless heroin addicts willing to work for drugs. And that is just not true.

One girl worked in a mall and a customer gave her his 'business card' and invited her to cone for a job interview. She thought it was legit. She was taken from that office by a crew of violent traffickers. I call that kidnapping. Not coercion.

We should not close our eyes to the dangers. JMO

Lake if the reward was possibly an influence in Sherri being released do you think it's possible the captors were scared someone would rat them out? If so, perhaps that could still occur. I think it could be more clear there is a reward for info leading to their discovery. The promotion for the reward is non-existent. I saw an article that said it is $50,000 is that correct?

But there are plenty of 'wannabe' types of criminals who try to do things they are too stupid/inexperienced/high to be able to do.

And as I said, if that is correct, we shouldn't worry about this inept gang being in the business of sex trafficking for too much longer, because they are incompetent fools.

You apparently believe that the perpetrators knew her age or other details about her life. I don't believe they did. I have actually seen Sherri in real life. She looks very young. As I stated before if I was serving her alcohol I would request her i.d. to verify she was of legal age (21 here in California).

I would think that by the time three weeks of beatings was over, they probably DID know those details, and much more.

If they didn't coerce those things from her, if she was smart she would have volunteered some of that info. You're supposed to attempt to humanize yourself to a captor, so they don't look at you so much as an object.

So over time, it would have been smart for her to give them her name, her age, the fact that she is a mother, etc. It's part of staying alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom line is that sex trafficking requires "sex" and "trafficking," of which there was none in this case.

How do you know that? I don't think any of that info has been released.

Besides, my theory is that the MOTIVE for her abduction was sex trafficking. Just because it may not have worked out that way in the end, does not change the original intent.

I would think that by the time three weeks of beatings was over, they probably DID know those details, and much more.

If they didn't coerce those things from her, if she was smart she would have volunteered some of that info. You're supposed to attempt to humanize yourself to a captor, so they don't look at you so much as an object.

So over time, it would have been smart for her to give them her name, her age, the fact that she is a mother, etc. It's part of staying alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She most likely did share that info as time went on. It probably saved her life.

Well, it's probably pointless to discuss the sex trafficking angle any further. Until we have more evidence, I don't think we're going to take this conversation anywhere productive. It may very well be linked in some way to sex trafficking, we'll see. I'm skeptical, but nothing about this case would surprise me anymore...

The question of the day seems to be:
WAS it ST? Let's take a poll, I say NO

:thumb: Agree. Too many people are willing to do too many things for a fast buck. And we don't even know what their market might have been. Maybe they already had an end customer ready to buy and they were just prepping the merchandise? Pure speculation on my part, but stranger things have happened.

I thought she was branded and that is what is typically done to sex traffickers. My apologies if I'm mistaken.

You're not. They said she was branded. Sheriff Bosenko said she was branded.

How do you know that? I don't think any of that info has been released.

Besides, my theory is that the MOTIVE for her abduction was sex trafficking. Just because it may not have worked out that way in the end, does not change the original intent.

Presumably, after 3 weeks, Sherri knows what the MOTIVE for this was. If she has fully informed LE of all details of her abduction, captivity, abuse, travel and all players that she came in contact with, then this is investigable.... Maybe DNA is not yet back from the lab...but if all LE has to go on is a couple of Hispanic women, this will never get solved. JMO

How are those conflicting statements? A church is a building. Maybe KP was less specific because he wasn't sure if he could mention the church? After the way LE chided him for releasing the branding detail I would not be surprised if he was trying to be more vague with his wording. And the way I understood the junkyard comment was not that it was an actual junkyard but that there was a yard near the house with a lot of junk piled up around it and it looked scary in the dark. These are not changing facts but additions to what we knew of the story prior to the 20/20 interview. There are probably even more details we still don't know. JMO.

---------------------------------------------------------
Sheriff Bosenko himself had already made the statement that SP walked to the church and then to the highway so why KP only said "building" is not because of the Sheriff. IMO

The church rep also said there was no citing of SP on the surveillance video.

ST victims are often BRANDED, not just tattooed:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...kers-victims-branded-like-cattle-9763468.html

The victims have been “branded like cattle” - a practice commonly seen worldwide for women in the sex trade – to show that they were aged over 18, the National Crime Agency (NCA) said.

It said it had received information that people had been marked with numbers but their meaning was not yet known. “Put very simply, you brand cattle. And that's how traffickers view people, as a commodity to buy and sell," s

That is clearly a tattoo, not a brand, in that picture. They clearly call it "Symbolic tattoos" in that article. As others have pointed out it's not even an uncommon tattoo, for many people to get. That is not what happened to SP. Can we PLEASE differentiate between tattooing and branding. The two are apples and oranges to this case.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My understanding is that Sheriff Bosenko said that SP walked to a nearby church and then went to the highway.
(I provided quote and source in an earlier post on T17)

In the 20/20 program on 12/2 KP only refers to "buildings" he is not specific as to where SP went.

IMO
Maybe KP is only saying "buildings" because the church's surveillance showed no one there, a reporter interviewed a representative of the church and that is what he said and they also showed the surveillance clip so maybe SP was wrong or the sheriff was wrong, or she went to a side of the church without the cameras? Someone is wrong or the reporting is wrong???

It was also reported that KP said SP was chased away from the junk yard by a dog. That's when she headed to the freeway.

I am not 100% convinced she was kidnapped by traffickers. Maybe it was not that way at all. I am open to a few other possible scenarios as well.

The main reason I talked about trafficking the past 2 days was because of my own child's close call. And she is in a 'safe' upscale, locked down apartment complex, and she never talks to 'strangers.' She is very cautious. So it freaked me out that when she felt at home, inside her own locked complex, inside the gated doggie park, where only other tenants can go, she was so vulnerable to this sex trafficker. He did flirtt with her once, suggesting their dogs 'go on a play date.' She rebuffed him, thank goodness.

But I can easily see that SP may have been taken by a stalker, or an enemy she didn't even know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member