Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of those things that is difficult to google because you turn up all the results about how to beat a polygraph.

My knowledge comes from listening to every true crime podcast out there for the past 3 years or so. Often police experts that are interviewed, especially Jim Clemente, say that polygraphs are nothing more than an investigative technique, used to manipulate suspects. I can't think of any cases at the top of my head, but I know I have heard them say multiple times that people are told they passed so they will feel comfortable and continue being interviewed.

Since you can't provide a link to support your statement that it's common that police lie when a suspect fails a polygraph and tells everyone they passed I will have to regard it as an opinion only.

I wanted to examine at least one case where that was true to see if it was effective. For all I know it's been used only a few times by LE and had a zero success rate. That would statistically mean that it has little weight in deciding if Keith is being truthful in this case.

If you can find some cases where LE lied and told the suspect they passed a polygraph when they actually failed I would appreciate it.

Personally I don't see LE telling Keith he passed a lie detector test when he actually failed. I read inthedetails link above that showed examples of LE lying to suspects about them FAILING tests to induce them to confess. That makes perfect sense to me.

Telling a suspect they passed tests that they didn't doesn't seem to be a practical way of getting to the truth to me. JMO

He is indeed a character, and IMO you're right. KP is probably not guilty of having a hand in her disappearance but he likes to embellish to the point that it's hard to believe him. He is his own worst enemy.

The theory that is most consistent to me right now is that SP was catfished. She willingly went with someone who roughed her up and held her, then dumped her, and she doesn't want to admit it so she's lying to LE.

But there are many holes in that theory as well. LE says in their press release that they did an extensive investigation which involved looking at her phone and discovering the Michigan man, so surely they forensically examined her computer and other electronics and would have found evidence of it. Also, the catfish theory doesn't explain why she would be held for 22 days, with no physical signs of sexual assault.

With it being women abductors, could it be that they catfished her, with a male profile? Could she have had a secondary phone that KP knew nothing about that she connected with her catfisher? Not wanting SP to know she had an online friend? Maybe that phone was taken with her and destroyed by her catfishers. It was a burner just for talking to new friends on SM.

Since you can't provide a link to support your statement that it's common that police lie when a suspect fails a polygraph and tells everyone they passed I will have to regard it as an opinion only.

I wanted to examine at least one case where that was true to see if it was effective. For all I know it's been used only a few times by LE and had a zero success rate. That would statistically mean that it has little weight in deciding if Keith is being truthful in this case.

If you can find some cases where LE lied and told the suspect they passed a polygraph when they actually failed I would appreciate it.

Personally I don't see LE telling Keith he passed a lie detector test when he actually failed. I read inthedetails link above that showed examples of LE lying to suspects about them FAILING tests to induce them to confess. That makes perfect sense to me.

Telling a suspect they passed tests that they didn't doesn't seem to be a practical way of getting to the truth to me. JMO

I'm personally not suspicious of KP knowing at first. And I don't know what to think of SP. I guess at this point my greatest suspicion is that she does know why it happened, at least. She might not have known it was going to happen tho.

Regarding the cat-fishing theory-- has anyone considered the possibility that someone online was using SP's pictures in a cat-fishing scheme? She had so many glamorous shots online and cat-fishers often steal pictures like that to use to pretend to be someone else online. What if the cat-fish had nothing to do with Sherri but whomever GOT cat-fished by someone with her picture thought it was really her that they had been talking to? The person who was a cat-fishing victim (or that person's relatives) may have found out where she lived and gone to get revenge for some wrong that really had nothing to do with Sherri. IDK. Just a theory.

I have been told by a polygraph examiner to never agree to take one! Lol! He says they are faulty.

I think that is good advice. But I do believe that polygraphs can be a useful tool for LE. It can give them a idea if a person is willing to be cooperative or not.

If a person agrees to taking a polygraph the examiner can ask questions. While the test results can't be used against the defendant in court,information gathered by the polygraph examiner before and after the actual test can be used against the suspect as long as the "Miranda Warning" is given. JMO

How many times must police give Miranda warnings? The case law is a little unclear, but a recent Superior Court decision earlier this month suggests that a suspect should be advised of his right to consult with an attorney both prior to a polygraph test and again before a post-polygraph interview is conducted.

https://www.theharrisburglawyers.com/2012/03/miranda-and-the-polygraph-test/

Has anyone been able to figure why LE told the public about SP being in contact with MM when they did not meet up and he was cleared? That just has me baffled!

Has anyone been able to figure why LE told the public about SP being in contact with MM when they did not meet up and he was cleared? That just has me baffled!

They had already told us last year that they were investigating someone in Michigan. The media filed a FOIA request and got LE's receipts showing the trip to Michigan and the cities they visited. I believe SCSO gave that information so that the media would not keep digging and try to discover the identity of the person in Michigan who was cleared of any involvement. I believe the media would have kept digging and found out who the Michigan man was (some in the press may already know) and there are gossip rags that would print his name and drag him into this circus in a heartbeat. JMO.

To show that they looked at everything and to justify the taxpayer paid trip to Michigan.

JMO

To show that they looked at everything and to justify the taxpayer paid trip to Michigan.

JMO

Yes, that too. They also had to justify their receipts.

Ot I have faith in polygraphs, though some personalites can manage to pass while lying. I took one years ago due to money missing at my job. Several people took it, all passed except for one woman, who then confessed. I was impressed.

Ot I have faith in polygraphs, though some personalites can manage to pass while lying. I took one years ago due to money missing at my job. Several people took it, all passed except for one woman, who then confessed. I was impressed.

We had someone stealing from our company and the suspect agreed to taking a lie detector test, which we had set up for the next day. Guess who didn't show?

Has SP been offered to take a lie detector exam? Or maybe to get hypnotized to help with her memory?

I liked the example that inthedetails linked above where police used a fake lie detector machine to get a person to confess.

Simply saying that a machine proved you lied was enough to get the guilty party to confess. Good job.

Regarding the cat-fishing theory-- has anyone considered the possibility that someone online was using SP's pictures in a cat-fishing scheme? She had so many glamorous shots online and cat-fishers often steal pictures like that to use to pretend to be someone else online. What if the cat-fish had nothing to do with Sherri but whomever GOT cat-fished by someone with her picture thought it was really her that they had been talking to? The person who was a cat-fishing victim (or that person's relatives) may have found out where she lived and gone to get revenge for some wrong that really had nothing to do with Sherri. IDK. Just a theory.

good thought!

BBM

Do you have a link that supports this statement? I've done a search and can't find anything that supports the fact that it's common for police to lie and tell people they have passed a polygraph when they have actually failed.

I can find plenty of links showing that polygraphs are unreliable but I already knew that.

The Truth About Lie Detectors (aka Polygraph Tests)

http://www.apa.org/research/action/polygraph.aspx

I've actually heard of the opposite. They pass but they're told they've failed. But I don't know if that's really happened.

Truth serum. So many times I've wished it existed.
Falsely accused? Truth serum! Clear yourself!
If only it existed... if it was 100% accurate there would be no reason to refuse.
I can understand hesitating on a polygraph for fear anxiety would trigger deception indications.
Truth serum would be the answer to so many cases!

I've actually heard of the opposite. They pass but they're told they've failed. But I don't know if that's really happened.

Shasta Groene's dad right? Or was it Mark Lunsford?
One of them was told they failed and after the news reported it the cops had to come clean.

I agree.

If the idea is to put "pressure" on a suspect, it would stand to reason LE would make it clear that they felt the suspect was lying.

Telling the suspect and the public that they believe they are being truthful doesn't put much pressure on them at all in my opinion. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413