Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why have they still not released the initial 911 call from Nov. 2 ?

This case has so many interesting twists and turns.The best twist is that she was found alive. Besides the glaringly odd reverse ransom situation, I am still baffled by the motive. I truly believed that it was an abduction of opportunity. Someone saw her, wanted her, and surprised her. My hunch all along was this was random. I felt that her body would be found and that there would be a sexual assault motive. Very glad to be wrong.

But that leaves me now with the actual MOTIVE. Why would 2 women abduct and keep a woman for 3 weeks and then release her?

I don't buy the sex traffic motive. As others have pointed out, I think there are many easier ways of finding vulnerable women for that business without the risk of a daytime kidnapping of housewives.

My only guess at the juncture is that this was not random and that motive was monetary all along. Either someone sketchy was owed money, or there was reason to believe that someone in the extended family has financial means to pay for her return. I can not think of any other reason that she would have been released alive.

Why the reported physical abuse? Perhaps the physical battering was to convince the family they meant business and photos and other communication was shared between the abductors and the immediate family without LE being aware. The ransom/reward offering may have all been part of this communication and not as random as they want us to believe. Or her physical injury could have been the result of her fighting with the assailants upon her immediate attack or when she was freed...speculating that she might have been tossed roughly out of the SUV and was harmed in that process.

Still just scratching my head and sharing my random musing with fellow sleuthers.

bbm. That's what I keep coming back to also. If, as I've seen theorized here, someone wanted to "send a message" to someone Sherri knew, I would think they'd grab her, rough her up, and release her quickly. Message sent. But if the motive was "send a message", I can't imagine keeping her for 3 weeks and then letting her go. If, however, the motive was ransom money, then keeping her for that long period of time while ransom arrangements were made.....well, that makes more sense to me.

But I suspect we're never going to know.

Now that Sherri's Help Find Me FB page is down, the "Sherri Papini" FB site is being used to correspond with the public. Are we allowed to discuss information from that page?

Still no further description of the perps has been released. I hope this doesn't mean that Sherri really didn't get a glimpse of them at all.

Surely CCTV footage of the vehicles going that way will hold the key? Where exactly was she dropped off? And could other drivers have witnessed the drop-off, even got a licence plate number or at least have seen what color the SUV was...

Do we know yet how long SP was at the road when she was released? a few minutes? an hour? more?

Now that Sherri's Help Find Me FB page is down, the "Sherri Papini" FB site is being used to correspond with the public. Are we allowed to discuss information from that page?

From what I've gathered, that isn't used by the family. I think someone just made it themselves. The family posted that updates could be found in the local news before they closed the Help Sherri page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen reverse ransom mentioned numerous times, can someone explain it to me please?

Reverse ransom has also been explained as what happened in the movie "Ransom." The money is paid for the perpetrator's capture instead of the victim's return.

Still no further description of the perps has been released. I hope this doesn't mean that Sherri really didn't get a glimpse of them at all.

Surely CCTV footage of the vehicles going that way will hold the key? Where exactly was she dropped off? And could other drivers have witnessed the drop-off, even got a licence plate number or at least have seen what color the SUV was...

That far away over that much time there has to be something, especially if they took any major roads. I'm sure they're reviewing everything they've got.

The other thing I was thinking is they wouldn't have both stayed with her the entire time so the vehicle and one of them might have been captured on camera or seen by someone.

It was actually nice having the thread shut down, except by the time I would catch up reading it all, it would be locked again. I hope something new and relevant can come out soon so it is not just constant rumors circulating. I feel that may not be happening soon but I hope it does.

One thing I do want to know is what she was wearing when discovered.

re: 'reverse ransom' in this case

It is being called a reverse ransom because normally when somebody is kidnapped for a ransom, the kidnapper makes their demands known, but in this case there was never a demand for ransom; instead, an unknown individual offered to pay a ransom for her safe return.

Reverse ransom has also been explained as what happened in the movie "Ransom." The money is paid for the perpetrator's capture instead of the victim's return.

So, a reward. I think that's where the confusion comes from - the renaming of something that's been around a while. Like calling appetizers *apps*.

Still Jury, still undecided.

From what I've gathered, that isn't used by the family. I think someone just made it themselves. The family posted that updates could be found in the local news before they closed the Help Sherri page.

That's also what I thought also. But it seems that the towns people are pretty freaked out about the kidnappers still being out there and are pressing for more information.
So, since the Help Find page is down they've turned to this one. And someone is corresponding with them.

<mod snip>

Also. We still have 2 kidnappers to catch before closing the thread.

Now if she simply did say she was voluntarily missing. Then this thread would have probably closed a while ago. Jmo

Anyone else noticed things being deleted from her pinterest? Definitely one's that were discussed here.

re: 'reverse ransom' in this case

It is being called a reverse ransom because normally when somebody is kidnapped for a ransom, the kidnapper makes their demands known, but in this case there was never a demand for ransom; instead, an unknown individual offered to pay a ransom for her safe return.

You are correct. And then after the reverse ransom deadline passed with no Sherri, the reverse ransom turned into a reward for information leading to Sherri.

Thank you for this. When my daughter was much younger, I would tell her to find a "mom" if she were ever lost or got separated from me (in the absence of a police officer). Sadly, the world has changed. IMO, with so many of today's crimes linked to drugs, there are no "norms" as they can be a powerful motivator for both men and women. Drug trafficking and sex trafficking are intertwined. The women, known as "bottoms", are very instrumental in the sex (and human) trafficking world and much less suspecting than their male counterparts. The FBI has arrested many women traffickers in cross country operations throughout the U.S., some of which were once victims themselves.

Time will tell if there is any trafficking connection to SP's disappearance. But it is very concerning to me when people continue to make generalizations about trafficking and are so quick to rule it out. Not just for SP, but for all the women (and teens) that go missing with presumptions that they willingly left as their lives are picked apart to justify their leaving. I think social media played a large part in SP being found, but I also see the negative impact SM can have on victims and their families. MOO

As I said, this is dangerously naive and it's exactly why men will use women to help lure women and children and even men. To literally say "Women don't kidnap other women." is a false statement. Statistically speaking, yes, of course men are almost always the abductor, but women DO kidnap women and even if the woman doesn't do the physical kidnapping, she can certainly lure a victim to men who will.

If you aren't teaching your children to be just as wary of women as men, you're doing them a great disservice. As a woman you should also be very wary of strange women. It would be nice if every predator looked and acted like a predator and "completely off", but they often don't. In the US alone, at least 30% of sex traffickers are female and the number is probably higher worldwide. Unfortunately, women luring children or other women for male partners is also more common than most people like to think. Robbery can be a motivation for women to kidnap other women. Beyond that, I'm assuming you or your family members will travel outside of the United States at some point in your lifetime and could be more of a target as a foreigner.

No one is asking you to live in constant fear, but to completely dismiss women as posing any danger to you or your family is not logical in any way. For people to literally say "Women don't kidnap women" is down right "head in the sand". Being cautious when approached by a strange woman, especially in a vehicle, is smart even if she's not acting completely off. To be as cautious of a woman who appears at your door selling something or asking to use a phone isn't being overly fearful, it's just common sense.

Avoiding the Karla Homlka, Judith Ann Neelley and Charlene Gallego's of the world is a good thing. Along with women who commit robbery and others like Jauna Barraza or Alyssa Bustamante who just enjoy killing.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/a...-women-are-found-trafficking-other-women.html

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37573575?client=safari

www.nola.com/articles/19711309/french_quarter_uber_kidnapping.amp?client=safari

www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Woman-Lure-Teenage-Girl-Into-Car-Bridgeport-Connecticut-Attack-Investigation-331144472.html%3Famp%3Dy?client=safari

I know you're separating women who kidnap little girls from women who kidnap young women or older women but I feel it's worth noting, what women are capable of, in general, before saying its logical to write them off as not posing a threat to your family.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/43993012/.../t/video-shows-nancy-garrido-luring-girl-van/

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-girl-snatched-newcastle-primark-8133391.amp?client=safari

http://crimefeed.com/2016/06/stranger-candy-teenager-chyrel-jolls-kidnap-allegedly-murder-children/

https://www.google.com/amp/people.c...urdered-an-8-year-old-girl/amp/?client=safari

I wondered about that too. the "heavily battered" comment came from an LE official on scene. By my experience there is no shortage of lighting when even one car is right there.Flashing lights and spotlights and flashlights to boot.

I think they know what they saw, IMO.

:cow:
I trust what LE on scene saw and reported was accurate. I'm also sure they asked Sherri is she was hurt or injured on top of that. I'm going with injured and not simply dirty. JMO

So, a reward. I think that's where the confusion comes from - the renaming of something that's been around a while. Like calling appetizers *apps*.

It was more than just a reward, though, because it was offered to be paid using any method that the kidnappers wanted, and allowing the collector to maintain anonymity. That doesn't normally happen with a reward. So in that respect it was more like a ransom than a reward.

<mod snip>

Also. We still have 2 kidnappers to catch before closing the thread.

Now if she simply did say she was voluntarily missing. Then this thread would have probably closed a while ago. Jmo

It shouldn't take too long then...to know more, at least. LE has much more to work with. They can finally go about matching the description of the vehicle she was taken in with the surveillance footage they've saved from November 2. And that should be even easier since they should now know exactly what time she was taken out of her neighborhood.

Come to think of it, I wonder why LE hasn't updated with that information. Why wouldn't they ask the public about it since they should have the time of occurrence now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow