GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would she dare jump on this?
“It’s about protecting her rights to a fair trial. She can use the materials after her trial to score a book deal or documentary deal.”

Sherri Papini can't access records in criminal case: judge

I can absolutely see a documentary or docudrama deal at some point. Not so much a "Sherri's story" but a "morally complex" tale with a charismatic (ugh) and yet deeply compromised "supermom" who is restless and sick of Smalltown and creates an elaborate hoax that is both cynically self-serving and a seemingly desperate cry for help.

Find a Kirsten Dunst type to play the lead and pitch it to Netflix as part of their "fascinatingly amoral with a strong, attractive female lead and a true-crime angle in which no one is actually quite murdered" heading along with Inventing Anna, Dropout and whatever is next in the pipeline.

Do I think she does the rounds of morning chat shows? No.

Just a bit of mental trivia. :D It suddenly dawned on me why this particular photo of Sherri Papini is so disturbing (to me, anyway). It’s not just the purely narcissistic aspect of Sherri looking seductively at the camera while being carried off by her faceless husband. The disturbing part of the photo is that her eyes seem to be saying to someone: “I’d much rather be with you than Keith.” JMO Ugh.

Sherri Papini Case: A Look Back at Calif. Mom's Odd Disappearance

Just a bit of mental trivia. :D It suddenly dawned on me why this particular photo of Sherri Papini is so disturbing (to me, anyway). It’s not just the purely narcissistic aspect of Sherri looking seductively at the camera while being carried off by her faceless husband. The disturbing part of the photo is that her eyes seem to be saying to someone: “I’d much rather be with you than Keith.” JMO Ugh.

OMG! You nailed it!

I still believe that most parents try to raise their children properly, and instill in them sound moral values. How hard that must be when one parent is a complete stranger to truth, responsibility and honesty.
We were all aware of her previous, ahem, history. Had she made a complete turnaround, no wild storytelling, violent behavior, just a Super stay at home Mom? Then one day she vanished? In the middle of wrapping a present?

I just don’t understand how her family was so adamant that she never would have left on her own. I get being supportive and appealing to the public, but they tried very hard to push the perfect portrayal. Just like now, they can continue to be supportive but I think they might owe LE a big apology, instead of railing against them. LE gave Sherri every opportunity to end the charade, and she refused. They had to do their job.

Maybe a new Law and Order SVU will be coming up soon...
IMO that's more fitting than say, a Netflix docudrama. Papini is no Anna Delvey. Perhaps if Sherri had been a bit younger, prettier, smarter, whatever, she could have dreamed up a more exciting "adventure." As it is she's just a bored housewife who made up a racist lie and got caught. No one's going to envy her antics or daydream about some glamorous life like in Delvey's case. JMO.

Wow. The gall of this woman. I am sorry, but I do think there needs to be legal consequences for her actions, if she is found guilty, because she *did* cause people harm and emotional distress by orchestrating and continuing the charade.

Papini possibly lying opens up old wounds for Tera Smith's family

"My sister Kyra spoke to Sherri after she was found," Sierra said. "... She had dinner at my parent's house."

Sierra said it was frustrating to find out that Papini had possibly been lying about her kidnapping.

I agree! I find this picture totally vomit-inducing on every level.

Sherri Papini next court appearance moved to April 29

Papini is now scheduled to appear at 2 p.m. on April 29 in federal court in Sacramento in front of U.S. Magistrate Judge Allison Claire for a preliminary examination.

While Papini’s first two court appearances were conducted via Zoom, the April 29 proceedings will be in-person.

We were all aware of her previous, ahem, history. Had she made a complete turnaround, no wild storytelling, violent behavior, just a Super stay at home Mom? Then one day she vanished? In the middle of wrapping a present?

I just don’t understand how her family was so adamant that she never would have left on her own. I get being supportive and appealing to the public, but they tried very hard to push the perfect portrayal. Just like now, they can continue to be supportive but I think they might owe LE a big apology, instead of railing against them. LE gave Sherri every opportunity to end the charade, and she refused. They had to do their job.
Maybe the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Excellent summary. The question I struggle with is how do you help her? What is best for her kids and the community at this point?

Consequences. I believe she is probably personality disordered. The only thing that slows people like that is consequences to their actions. And her children need to see that as well, so they can realize that fraud is wrong and so is harming oneself or others for attention.

Throw her in jail? Or bring back the stocks and hawk rotten tomatoes?

I believe either/or would teach a good moral lesson.

BUT, this is California. Maybe she'll be nominated for best actress award?

This is a federal case so California law and policy regarding sentences and when inmates are released will not have anything to do with what happens to Papini.

Chances are that her sentence will be light anyhow. Federal judges often deviate downwards, apparently, from what I’ve been reading. She has no priors. And she’s white, middle class, and female. Her demographic has much more to do with light sentences than any government leadership or even laws. And that’s not my opinion. It’s fact based on years of constant research:

Demographic Differences in Sentencing

The Changing Racial Dynamics of Women's Incarceration | The Sentencing Project

White woman who stole $250K gets probation, while Black woman who stole $40K goes to jail. Disparate sentences spark calls for reform

I know, right? And her spin (or at least what allows her to resolve any cognitive dissonance) is that Sherri must've done it for love?!? Errrrmmmm okay I guess.

But…but…but… she took a shot for love!! You have to be so BRAVE and IN LOVE in order to abandon your small children and scare the eff out of all your friends, your entire family and the whole community. And doing so with racist undertones.

Can I also just add that I’m so sick of apologists for criminals using the term “mistake” to explain what they did? A mistake is putting salt in the cake batter instead of sugar. It’s not…this.

Here's what's so 'off' about his account of what happened the day she went missing---He claims he came home from work and Sherri and the kids were not there to greet him. He used the Find My Phone app, assuming she would be where ever the phone was. The location given was by their mailbox about a mile away. He said he drove there and didn't see Sherri or the kids. So he called his mom and asked if she had seen them. Then he called the daycare to ask what time she had picked up the kids .

It never crossed his mind to call HER to find out where she was at? He never said he ever tried calling her. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

I remember that. We talked about it a bit at the time.

Man, I’ve been gone from WS for a while but I had to come back after hearing about her arrest. Most of us already knew her story was a steaming pile of BS, but it’s so nice to see her actually facing consequences. I doubt she will do much, if any, jail time since she’s a blonde white woman, but I hope she gets something more than a tiny slap on the wrist.

I feel incredibly sad for her children and all the people she hurt through her lies and behavior, but I’m happy that people can move forward knowing what kind of human she really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff