Silver Alert CA - Stephanie Menard, 73, Daniel Menard, 79, & Cuddles, white Shih Tzu, Olive Dell Ranch nudist resort, unlocked car found, Redlands, 24 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think we can assume that Cuddles is also deceased. :( What is it with these murdering men that they always have to kill the pets too?
I wonder if Cuddles was also part of the bad blood. Did Cuddles wander over there, thereby inviting the Menards to invade Sparky's privacy? Was Cuddles too yappy, disturbing Sparky's peace?
Regardless, Cuddles was loved. Cuddles was innocent.

Prisoners also have human rights. I wonder if this guy could sue LE for destroying his home?

Yes, this is true. However, per this MSM link,

He was armed with a rifle and had barricaded himself into the home, forcing officers to remove the entire front wall of the house, Baker said. He attempted to shoot himself when officers discovered him but his weapon misfired.

JMVHO.

AUG 30, 2024
Baker said the remains were found in bags located in a concrete bunker underneath Sparks' home.

"We had a city crew with a camera that we use to evaluate sewer blockages. They were able to run that camera into that space and verify the presence of the evidence," said Baker.

"There were no tunnels that we can tell," he added. "There is a space about five feet deep...and it goes back maybe to the back of the property, which is a mobile home."

"He did have a rifle and he did attempt to kill himself when police discovered him," said Baker of the moment Sparks was found. "The weapon misfired...it didn't go off."

Tammie Wilkerson, who also lives in the community, called the situation bizarre.

"I don't know, people just don't dig tunnels under their house and behind their house," she said. "If I had known, I would have told the cops right away, 'Hey, that guy had tunnels.'"

Wilkerson told Eyewitness News she drove Sparks to Home Depot several times to buy the concrete.
"I couldn't imagine someone would buy bags and bags of cement, almost every other day," she said. "I asked him one time, because everyone called him Sparky, and I said, 'Sparky, what are you doing with all the cement?' and he's like, 'I've got someone projects I'm doing,' and I'm like 'ok.'"

Wilkerson said she was aware of tension between Sparks and the Menards.

"When I first moved here, he told me how much he hated them, and he hated Dan specifically because Dan would cut the tree ... trim the tree down," she said.

Others, however, said they never had any problems with Sparks.
"Always cordial, always respectful, never aggressive, never mean, just a very sweet person," said Christopher Hernandez.

Human remains found underneath home of suspect in Redlands nudist ranch couple's disappearance

Tammie Wilkerson, who also lives in the community, called the situation bizarre.

"I don't know, people just don't dig tunnels under their house and behind their house," she said. "If I had known, I would have told the cops right away, 'Hey, that guy had tunnels.'"

Wilkerson told Eyewitness News she drove Sparks to Home Depot several times to buy the concrete.
"I couldn't imagine someone would buy bags and bags of cement, almost every other day," she said. "I asked him one time, because everyone called him Sparky, and I said, 'Sparky, what are you doing with all the cement?' and he's like, 'I've got someone projects I'm doing,' and I'm like 'ok.'"

"When I first moved here, he told me how much he hated them, and he hated Dan specifically because Dan would cut the tree ... trim the tree down," she said.

"Always cordial, always respectful, never aggressive, never mean, just a very sweet person," said Christopher Hernandez.

Human remains found underneath home of suspect in Redlands nudist ranch couple's disappearance
I wonder how long Sparky was planning this.
At first I thought he was just a weird guy who created an underground space to store 'more stuff'. But now the idea in my mind is that he was planning this murder for a long time.
Is that possible?

IMO, I'm not fond of this neighbor, that's all I will say about that. IMO

I've had a hard time keeping up in this thread so maybe I missed this, but it's the first I've heard about a potluck and karaoke.

AUG 30, 2O24
A woman who said she called 911 Sunday to report the missing couple said she was concerned after they didn't show up for a regular Friday potluck and karaoke night at a neighbor's house. On Sunday, Irene Engkraf said she was on her way to church when they noticed the abandoned car. They checked the house and went to church, but there were no signs of the Menards at either location.

She then entered the Menard's house and, after finding the purse and cellphones, called 911, she said. There were no signs of a disturbance.

At first I thought he was just a weird guy who created an underground space to store 'more stuff'. But now the idea in my mind is that he was planning this murder for a long time.
Is that possible?
Seems like it was a fairly recent build too. Started it about two and half years ago.
(Sorry, wasn't able to remove the amp link.)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktla.c...h-for-missing-elderly-couple-from-colton/amp/

Neighbors said they knew the 62-year-old as “Sparky,” and some described him as a loner, but also a nice person.

One neighbor, John Hills, said he remembers when Sparks started digging underneath his home.

“About two and a half years ago, he borrowed my mule in order to excavate a basement under his trailer,” Hills told KTLA’s Shelby Nelson. “He told me he needed to build a space that would keep him cool during summer because he was having a hard time affording the electricity.”

Is that possible?
It's possible. But as you thought, he could have made the space for more hoarding or due to general paranoia, and then ended up using it to put the bodies of his neighbors.

I don't blame the neighbor who helped him get the concrete. My guess is that if he intended to kill the Menards, he would have done so even if he didn't have the concrete bunker.

That said, I wonder whether the murders were long-planned or were more impulsive. Did he think LE would not figure out who killed the Menards?? Did he plan to kill himself all along, or only because LE cornered him?

Whether an "injustice collector" or not, I think it's likely that Sparks is mentally ill. Which wouldn't absolve him from responsibility for the murders, but might provide a partial explanation.

JMO

I've had a hard time keeping up in this thread so maybe I missed this, but it's the first I've heard about a potluck and karaoke.

AUG 30, 2O24
A woman who said she called 911 Sunday to report the missing couple said she was concerned after they didn't show up for a regular Friday potluck and karaoke night at a neighbor's house. On Sunday, Irene Engkraf said she was on her way to church when they noticed the abandoned car. They checked the house and went to church, but there were no signs of the Menards at either location.

She then entered the Menard's house and, after finding the purse and cellphones, called 911, she said. There were no signs of a disturbance.
It's a community. It's a mixture of permanent residents and shorter term visitors. The Ranch organized many activities and events. I'm presuming the permanent residents also organized regular events.

AUG 30, 2O24

But weren't they last seen on the Saturday?

It's possible. But as you thought, he could have made the space for more hoarding or due to general paranoia, and then ended up using it to put the bodies of his neighbors.

I don't blame the neighbor who helped him get the concrete. My guess is that if he intended to kill the Menards, he would have done so even if he didn't have the concrete bunker.

That said, I wonder whether the murders were long-planned or were more impulsive. Did he think LE would not figure out who killed the Menards?? Did he plan to kill himself all along, or only because LE cornered him?

Whether an "injustice collector" or not, I think it's likely that Sparks is mentally ill. Which wouldn't absolve him from responsibility for the murders, but might provide a partial explanation.

JMO
I agree with everything you said.
I too am curious as to whether this was a long-term plan or impulsive.

Well, goooood!

He can sit and think about what he did--hopefully, for the rest of his life in jail!

Regarding the tree-trimming, I suspect he might be an injustice collector.

JMVHO.
Injustice collectors often commit crimes that are extremely heinous and senseless. Like Columbine, Dunblane, Port Arthur, Isla Vista, Erfurt, Sandy Hook, Parkland, Santa Fe, Virginia Tech, Uvalde, Bath, Las Vegas, Happyland, Oklahoma City, and 9/11.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back