GUILTY CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The two attorneys are lying next to each other on courtroom floor struggling for control of gun , judge is standing. People in courtroom laughing. Bob says "This is a full service law firm".

I think Kathleen's demise happened shortly after she returned to Salem cottage from Gilberte's house. Bob testified there was a scuffle for Kathleen's car keys where they both grabbed for her coat. The keys fell to the floor, he grabbed them and went out and disabled the battery of her Mercedes. When he returned to the house, Bob said Kathleen was just getting out of the shower. I know this trial isn't about Kathleen's disappearance, but can't help thinking about his testimony. I've followed Durst since the 80's and continue to be amazed how he's gotten away with his crimes.

It is crazy. This guy needed to be put away decades ago. His lies are epic.

Tweets for Monday, Aug. 16th - I have to split this up as I can only post 10 pictures at a time.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
14h
#RobertDurst - Durst said he had pen and paper in his car but he knows he wouldn't have had an envelope or stamps but he must have bought those somewhere - he doesn't remember getting an envelope or stamp.

Envelope.jpg Envelope2.jpg

Durst says he lied for years about writing the cadaver note. He said it was a difficult thing to believe, "I mean, I have difficult believing it myself that I would write the letter and had not killed Susan Berman."

Jurors are struggling to hear Durst. We can hear better on our live feed because of the placement of our own mic and adjusting audio LIVE. But in the courtroom, he's very difficult to hear.

Durst says he can't remember where he mailed the cadaver letter from. He then drove to San Francisco. He decided to fly to New York.

Durst.jpg

Durst said he was trying to decide if anyone would believe he killed Susan Berman, "I had no reason to kill Susan Berman."

Now DeGuerin asking Durst about sending Susan money. He asked Durst if Susan was trying to blackmail him. He said no, she had no reason to blackmail him.

Blackmail.jpg

Durst said he did not have a gun when he arrived at Susan Berman's home. He said he didn't have a gun in California at all.

JURY SENT OUT. Hearing now regarding the admissibility of alleged misconduct by Morris Black. Def wants Durst to testify he was afraid of Black due to violent acts by Black.

Court.jpg

#RobertDurst demonstrating with Dick DeGuerin how he grabbed the gun in the struggle with Morris Black.

Gun.jpg Gun2.jpg

DeGeurin asking if Durst can stand up to do a reenactment. Durst turns to Dep. Washington and says, I don't think he wants me to. Laughter. Durst has a "FALL RISK" bracelet on and is recommended not to stand.

Durst2.jpg

Now Chesnoff and DeGuerin are going to reenact as if they were Durst and Black, however, Chesnoff is much taller. Black and Durst around the same height.

Attorneys.jpg

John Lewin jokes that he's not comfortable with Chesnoff behind him holding a gun.

Lewin.jpg

Continued in next post...

link: link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Monday, Aug. 16th continued....

Cathy Russon (@cathyrusson)
Interesting demonstration being done in the courtroom by two parties not involved in the actual event.

Demo.jpg

I don't think I can accurate describe what just happened in the courtroom so I'll let you watch for yourself......

Video shown - can't copy/paste

Defense attorneys Dick DeGuerin & David Chesnoff reenacting the Morris Black/Robert Durst shooting......this is L.A. after all...

Demo2.jpg Demo3.jpg

I will borrow Mr. Durst’s words here and say that’s a full-service law firm.

Showing arrest pic of Durst and his hands about 10 days after the killing/dismemberment of Morris Black in Oct. 9, 2001.

Arrest.jpg Arrest2.jpg

Judge Windham: This is my favorite part of the trial so far.

Prosecutor John Lewin: I don't know who to root for!

#RobertDurst testifying that while being on the run after skipping bail in the Galveston case he wanted to return to South Salem and contemplated suicide.

#RobertDurst testifies while on the run he shaved his head/eyebrows to be less recognizable. He was visiting places he had lived during his life, while considering suicide, and spent 3-4 days in Penn. where he went to Lehigh Univ. He ultimately was arrested there for shoplifting.

Durst3.jpg

Durst stole a band-aid and a sandwich. He said he needed the Band-Aid because he cut himself shaving under his nose. He placed the Band-Aid on his face, thus it's still there in the booking photo.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

I am laughing at the two attorneys reenacting the Durst/Black struggle for the gun.
I was laughing too. They looked like the 3 stooges. It was pathetic.

But I hope none of Morris Black's loved ones were watching---this trial is making a mockery of his death, the way they cater to ol Bob, and don't even bother asking him leading questions, they just make 'leading statements' and he croaks yes after each one.

Tuesday, August 17th:
*Trial continues (Day 44) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (1 juror (#3) excused for medical reasons on 7/8/21). Now 9 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.
State rested their case on Tuesday (8/3/21). Defense has 2, possibly 3 witnesses (one is the defendant) & thinks 2 weeks for their case & will begin their case on 8/3/21 afternoon. Judge Windham denies the defense motion for mistrial based on their client's health & inability to testify on 8/2/21. Judge denies defense motion for judgment of acquittal.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-42 (5/18/21 thru 8/12/21) reference post #534 here:
CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000 *Arrest*

8/16/21 Monday, Trial Day 43: Defense witness: Still on direct exam Robert Durst. Trial continues on 8/17/21.

En re Durst & dogs, this is part of the mystery that still surrounds him -

Is he simply a selfish angry pig who killed his wife in a rage & then went on to kill a few others when necessary to cover his tracks? This is how Durst presents it.

But then there are other stories floating around that suggest more - that he’s actually a straight-up serial killer who practiced on dogs throughout his life & has killed multiple others with no connection to the initial crime against Kathie.

Durst has said in the past that there were three dogs, all named Igor, all of whom died naturally or were hit by cars - altho he’s mixed up & changed details of these alleged deaths. He’s also said the only part of his portrayal in All Good Things etc that bothered him was the idea that he’d killed a dog - he loves dogs & would never hurt one, he claims.

Meanwhile there are at least three young women who disappeared w/o a trace from locations near Durst over the years - one of whom was last seen shopping in his health food store in Vermont, etc. And the number of Igors he had is in dispute - usually he’s said to have had seven dogs by this name, not three.

Its easy to see why he’d lie til his dying day about the dogs! A jury might look the other way on Morris Black, but there’s no way he’d ever get off IMO if it was established (as has been said for decades) that he killed & dismembered one pet dog after another. That shows enough depraved indifference to life, love & loyalty IMO that it would be a fatal blow to any attempt to present himself as a victim of circumstance.

All his going on & on about his dogs & how well they lived, how he cared for them etc strikes me as an attempt to work this exact angle with the jury - to present the opposite of what’s in the above paragraph, that he is in fact capable of love & loyalty. Doubt it.

There's a WS thread titled "Zodiac killer / Robert Durst Connection?". Some of our members thought that it was worth exploring the idea that Durst was so clever that he might be the infamous Zodiac Killer.

Others of us are not convinced. Anyway it's an interesting read.

Zodiac killer / Robert Durst Connection?

I was laughing too. They looked like the 3 stooges. It was pathetic.

But I hope none of Morris Black's loved ones were watching---this trial is making a mockery of his death, the way they cater to ol Bob, and don't even bother asking him leading questions, they just make 'leading statements' and he croaks yes after each one.
Hope Bob is enjoying his honeymoon with the defense questioning. Prosecution won't be doing any catering. Looking forward to it.:D

Trial has resumed. Bob still testifying on direct. Bob's voice sounds a bit stronger than yesterday, but the day is still young.

Prosecutor John Lewin has been questioning Durst on his (RD's) memory.

Now, Lewin is questioning RD about how most of his life he has pretty much done whatever he wants.

Prosecutor John Lewin has been questioning Durst on his (RD's) memory.

Now, Lewin is questioning RD about how most of his life he has pretty much done whatever he wants.
I like how he has gotten him riled up a few times already. Fireworks expected.

The food stamps fiasco was gold. Loved how Bobbie tried to weasel his way out of it but Lewin wouldn't let him.

Frisbee-Gate! Lewin is not letting these lies go unchecked...

Apparently Bob testified earlier about playing Frisbee with his mom and siblings as a child.

But Lewin just showed that Frisbee wasn't invented until after his MOM HAD DIED in 1950.

So Bob instantly pretends not to know what a 'Frisbee' is---feigns total ignorance and denies he ever said that in this trial

So Lewin is going to play back the tape....

Uno was not invented until 1971----so all those childhood memories were a lie

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back