GUILTY CA - Teacher Mark Berndt charged with molesting 23 children

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has the question been raised as to why it took so many years for a photo tech to report strange photos? Where was Berndt taking his photos for development prior to late 2010? Or did the photo sessions just suddenly start getting ugly, even thought Berndt was creepy for decades?

Did the man want to get caught or is he really that deluded or stupid to allow these vile images to be viewed by a photo tech? Thank you, Photo Tech-person, whoever you are!!!!

Maybe his photo printer was broken.

Parents protest at school where 2 teachers arrested

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...s-protest-at-school-where-2-teachers-arrested

Frustrated parents gathered early Monday outside Miramonte Elementary School to express their concerns about the cases of two former teacher accused of molesting students at the South LA school.

"We the parents demand our children be protected from lewd teacher acts," read one of the banners at the protest.

The protest comes hours before the leader of the Los Angeles Unified School District is scheduled to meet with worried parents about the allegations. Superintendent John Deasy has said he is "sickened and appalled" by the allegations involving former teachers Mark Berndt and Martin Bernard Springer.

Sorry if this has already been answered. I want to know what happens to their retirement, pension, whatever. Are they allowed to keep that money? Did both of them effectively "resign" before they were removed?

Disgusted.

Miramonte Elementary School teacher Mark Berndt gave presents to one of his alleged victims, visited her home and even gave the children photos of them blindfolded and gagged – the same type of pictures that eventually led to his arrest, attorneys for an alleged victim said.

Attorneys for the girl, who is now 9, filed a $15-million claim against the Los Angeles Unified School District on Monday alleging negligence and violations of the girl's civil rights because the district ignored reports in 1991, 1994 and 2008 about Berndt's conduct. Berndt was arrested last week and charged with 23 counts of lewd conduct.

Read More

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/mark-berndt/

The ENTIRE staff??? Wow.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...d-at-la-school-where-2-teachers-were-arrested

Entire staff to be replaced at LA school where 2 teachers were arrested
February 6. 2012

"Updated at 11:04 p.m. ET: The Los Angeles Unified School District is replacing the entire staff of Miramonte Elementary following the arrest of two teachers on lewd conduct charges last week, Superintendent John Deasy told parents at a meeting Monday night, the Los Angeles Times reported. Positions will be filled by qualified teachers and other workers already on a placement or rehiring list, the Times report stated. But the displacement of the current staff could be temporary, according to the report...."

and

"....staffers are being replaced because a full investigation of allegations is disruptive, and staffers require support to get through the scandal. There will also be a psychiatric social worker in every classroom to help students and staff cope with any issues that need to be dealt with. Many children stayed home Monday while parents demanded more protection at an elementary school where two teachers are suspected of molesting students in class. More than a quarter of the students at Miramonte Elementary School were absent, with attendance reaching just 72 percent, according to figures from the Los Angeles Unified School District...."

more at link

From the link above:

"....In the same school district, a janitor at a San Fernando Valley elementary school was arrested on suspicion of committing a lewd act with a child on a campus...."

and

"....Paul Adame, 37, was taken into custody after a mother told police on Sunday that he had inappropriate contact with her child during school hours Friday at Germain Elementary School in the Chatsworth area north of Los Angeles, police Capt. Kris Pitcher said at a news conference. The captain declined to provide details but urged anyone who might know of other possible victims to contact police. Adame was booked and released on $100,000 bail Monday. It could not be immediately determined if he had an attorney. There was no immediate connection between the arrest of the janitor and the cases at Miramonte, which is 15 miles away in an unincorporated county area of South Los Angeles...."

more at link

It sure sounds as if parents and even students are becoming emboldened to go ahead and make those necessary reports. Good!!!!!

Poor kids. You know some of these children are being molested at home, stastically speaking. For some children school is the only safe haven they have. And to think these monsters took that from them. Talk about major trust issues.

The sheer number of child sex abusers brings me to my knees. They're coming, especially, from every career where children were once assumed to be safe. I don't think there are necessarily more now than in the past, just that more of them are being prosecuted. It didn't used to be okay to talk about things like that and they were swept under the rug. I am thankful for the prosecutions, but it sure is hard to keep seeing case after case of sexual abuse against our innocent children.

Looks like a whole can of worms has been opened. I want to see if this information about the female teacher aiding and abetting is substantiated. That would be quite disturbing indeed.

Good grief!!! The Miramonte parents must be reeling. They've been sending their children into a den of wolves (apologies to canis lupus) for decades, it seems.

True. But the school I worked in had a very open door classroom policy. We were sent to the classrooms throughout the day, instead of using the phone system. We personally took messages or packages or supplies to the rooms throughout the day, several times ,every single day.
How can I say this . . . a predator wouldn't want to work at your school. They would stay at a school where things like that didn't happen. They would choose their times to suit them.

I bet this even happens in nice schools with open-door policies all the time. These people sometimes don't get caught for years, but they would rather be at a school with a clueless administration and no rules about open doors.

It's sad the number of places you have to be paranoid about sending your child. Church, school, doctor, parks, etc. It's ridiculous and maddening.

And:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0204-teacher-20120204,0,798863.story

School stunned at arrest of second teacher for alleged lewd acts
February 4, 2012

"....Also on Friday, more people came forward to say that they had complained to school officials about Berndt but that their concerns were ignored.

The parents of one student told The Times that their daughter showed them two strange photos Berndt allegedly took of her and other students in 2008. They said they went to the principal of the school at the time and showed him the photos. The principal, who is no longer at Miramonte, took no immediate action, said their attorney..."

more at link

Here comes that old "don't rock the boat" defense that we know and love. "Everyone liked that teacher so I didn't believe the rumors. And besides, why rock the boat?"

Or better yet - the Paterno defense! "I did my legal duty. I'm sure I reported it somewhere - whoops, lost the paperwork."

OMG - this is why I despise bystanders who let this stuff happen. I'm starting to feel rage and my blood pressure is rising. :furious:

ThoughtFox--You are totally correct. Predators most often choose the path of least resistance.....however, sex assaults on children can happen ANYWHERE.

I can't forget that one of our children who was raped (8 yrs. old at the time), was assaulted in his elementary school restroom--during school hours--with his teacher audible on the other side of the wall. And not on one occasion, but twice.

This was at one of Oregon's top rated schools--the reason we moved to our town. A conviction for both of those rapes.

It's sad the number of places you have to be paranoid about sending your child. Church, school, doctor, parks, etc. It's ridiculous and maddening.

You know, I always thought my Daddy was too over-protective when I was a child. There were so few places he would let us go by ourselves until our teenage years. But when I look back, I'm absolutely sure he saved us from God knows what.

A thousand examples spring to mind. Think of former doctor (school psychologist), James Krivacska. That monster sexually assaulted profoundly developmentally disabled young boys in his office. His office had a window in the door but he was a crafty guy. He asked the boys to hang their coats over the window when they came into his office. One of the young boys had a mother and father volunteering at the school--when the assaults occurred. A very very well respected school for the disabled.

Krivacska is STILL writing about childhood sex education from prison!!

ThoughtFox--You are totally correct. Predators most often choose the path of least resistance.....however, sex assaults on children can happen ANYWHERE.

I can't forget that one of our children who was raped (8 yrs. old at the time), was assaulted in his elementary school restroom--during school hours--with his teacher audible on the other side of the wall. And not on one occasion, but twice.

This was at one of Oregon's top rated schools--the reason we moved to our town. A conviction for both of those rapes.

I don't disagree with you and I'm truly sorry that happened to your child. I know it can happen anywhere.

Whether a school is top-rated or not isn't the point. These people go wherever they can get hired, and where no one suspects them.

I was responding to someone else who said their school's open-door police would rule out molestation. I'm not sure that it would. It wouldn't help your child being attacked in a restroom, for instance.

I was making a point about the molesters themselves and the way they play the system or take advantage of clueless or indifferent teachers/principals. They find places and times when no one is paying attention. It's outrageous but that's what they do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back