GUILTY CA - Tobias Summers for kidnapping, rape of 10yo girl, Northridge, 2013 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
and I'm sorry, but please - LOCK YOUR DOORS! especially if you have kids.

True, but having your child kidnapped, brutalized and raped at knifepoint is not a fair punishment for what could be a single absent-minded mistake. :(

Plus, it is really easy to get through standard locks and even an alarm system isn't necessarily a deterrent. Criminals know that due to the number of false alarms and how thin LE is stretched that response time won't necessarily be quick unless a crime in progress can be verified.

ETA: Here's a bit of good news in a local case of a daytime burglary/home invasion that saw the perp breaking through several doors to get to a woman and her children who were hiding in the attic. Fortunately, she had a gun and was able to shoot him multiple times as he came through the final door. He got a sentence of 20 years, with 10 mandatory to serve. Not enough, IMO, but a start: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/burglar-shot-home-invasion-gets-10-years/nW9nt/ If she hadn't had a gun? No one can say, but he didn't come through all those doors after a woman crying on her cellphone because he wanted to pat her on the head, no matter what kind of ridiculous nonsense he spouted in court to try to justify himself.

& btw, this little girl could have chosen to bottle up, seal herself out. Instead she found the strength inside of her to speak out describing these guys & her ordeal. No matter how good detectives are to question & garner answers, this little girl showed such extreme courage to relay all the info back to detectives. The pain & suffering she's endured rocks me to my core. The strength she's shown in not only providing the details of her victimization, but also describing in detail what the guys look like etc, well damnit that's about as heroic as one can get. I mean, seriously. I am applauding her every step of the way, routing her on to excel in her recovery, be able to still grow even though so much has been taken from her. What a beautiful little angelic hero.

I know. She should have a fan club if it wouldn't identify her. I hope it's just that she doesn't understand everything that's happened to her. I wouldn't have at 10. I just want to surround her in white/gold light of healing and protection but most of all, comfort. I hope she dreams happy dreams and sleeps peacefully, free from nightmares, free from flashbacks, free from PTSD.

LOL! Yes, it looks like my post could have been interpreted in a different way. It should have read there was a sighting of the perp called in and it turned out to be his brother in a pickup truck.

Thanks for clarifying, BeginnersLuck! :)

True, but having your child kidnapped, brutalized and raped at knifepoint is not a fair punishment for what could be a single absent-minded mistake. :(

Plus, it is really easy to get through standard locks and even an alarm system isn't necessarily a deterrent. Criminals know that due to the number of false alarms and how thin LE is stretched that response time won't necessarily be quick unless a crime in progress can be verified.

I know. I just wish there was a sure fire prevention. And in no way do I blame people who don't lock their doors. My in-laws don't. they say they live in Maybury. I say - look on the sex offender map. they are EVERYWHERE. I've looked at preschools that aren't locked. they say "this area is so safe". I say "bye bye"!. Naive.
My in laws live near where JR was taken. They suspected one of their neighbors - a weird kid who lived at home and was just off. How can you hold that thought and yet not lock your doors? My child will never spend the night with them.
anyway, that generation does not absorb the reality of risk today. even some people in younger generations don't. I mean, if you aren't vigilant, it's easy to overlook a lock. So it's no blame. It's just that I've always been vigilant about locks and checking the stove (OCD?). but hey, those few times I find an unlocked door or the stove still on, I'm glad I checked it.

I know. I just wish there was a sure fire prevention. And in no way do I blame people who don't lock their doors. My in-laws don't. they say they live in Maybury. I say - look on the sex offender map. they are EVERYWHERE. I've looked at preschools that aren't locked. they say "this area is so safe". I say "bye bye"!. Naive.
My in laws live near where JR was taken. They suspected one of their neighbors - a weird kid who lived at home and was just off. How can you hold that thought and yet not lock your doors? My child will never spend the night with them.
anyway, that generation does not absorb the reality of risk today. even some people in younger generations don't. I mean, if you aren't vigilant, it's easy to overlook a lock. So it's no blame. It's just that I've always been vigilant about locks and checking the stove (OCD?). but hey, those few times I find an unlocked door or the stove still on, I'm glad I checked it.

Oh, I know! And we have deadbolts and an alarm system, but with the increase in home invasions in the Atlanta area (and I mean in the bedroom communities, not the urban center!) I am really thinking about getting a shotgun. I mean, I grew up around rifles for hunting, and spent a lot of time plinking cans on my grandfather's farm with a .22 but I never thought I'd want to own a gun for the primary purpose of shooting another person in self-defense. So if I have to go that route, I want something with the ultimate stopping power possible within the context of me being scared to death and potentially incapable of my normal good aim. Plus, I'd reckon that hearing a shotgun cocked is pretty good deterrent all by itself.

ETA: Here's a bit of good news in a local case of a daytime burglary/home invasion that saw the perp breaking through several doors to get to a woman and her children who were hiding in the attic. Fortunately, she had a gun and was able to shoot him multiple times as he came through the final door. He got a sentence of 20 years, with 10 mandatory to serve. Not enough, IMO, but a start: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/burglar-shot-home-invasion-gets-10-years/nW9nt/ If she hadn't had a gun? No one can say, but he didn't come through all those doors after a woman crying on her cellphone because he wanted to pat her on the head, no matter what kind of ridiculous nonsense he spouted in court to try to justify himself.

there should be no punishment for not locking your doors. it's the fault of the person who comes in unauthorized. it's like saying women shouldn't wear skirts if they don't want to be raped. BUT, if you can add a layer of protection, please do. I think if an intruder hears an alarm or a dog, they'll think twice - the resident may wake up and possibly grab their gun. it's a bigger risk if they are announced by an alarm or dog and most criminals want an easy target. not all. even if the cops don't get there, the resident has the potential and the legal right to harm the intruder. some people are just waiting for the chance to put a stop to a criminal.
thankfully the woman in the above story had a gun.

P.S. Re getting a gun for self-protection, we have no small children resident in our home, and if my nieces & nephews are here visiting I would keep it locked away. Because any intruder who broke into my house with that pack of wolflings at large would deserve anything he got! :floorlaugh:

(That was a joke, and possible a misplaced one, but when the kids are here there does tend to be a large roaming pack of rambunctious children+cats that seems to take down anything in its wake!)

An experienced criminal knows how to break windows without making noise. With this guys record he has most likely been committing burglaries for a very long time. He's slick (remember the jumping over the fence comment by a neighbor.) His career is being a criminal.

I'll wait to hear more about gang affiliation. When you click the highlighted sentence about him being a gang member it takes you to another article that says nothing about gangs. Most people that have served time in prison do end up hooking up with a gang though. His FB page also hints at juggalo and some are considered loose knit gangs that commit crimes similar to the ones he has been charged with in the past.

I don't even want to think about the child *advertiser censored* thing either until more facts come out. I hate to think about pictures of this little girl possibly circulated around on top of everything else that she has been through.

Oh, I know! And we have deadbolts and an alarm system, but with the increase in home invasions in the Atlanta area (and I mean in the bedroom communities, not the urban center!) I am really thinking about getting a shotgun. I mean, I grew up around rifles for hunting, and spent a lot of time plinking cans on my grandfather's farm with a .22 but I never thought I'd want to own a gun for the primary purpose of shooting another person in self-defense. So if I have to go that route, I want something with the ultimate stopping power possible within the context of me being scared to death and potentially incapable of my normal good aim. Plus, I'd reckon that hearing a shotgun cocked is pretty good deterrent all by itself.

what if, like Beginner's Luck, you wake up to a gun barrel at your head? no time to get your gun? you need something in your bed that's no danger to you that you can grab once you come to your senses, that the intruder can't see, find or know is there.

how about something softer to start? pepper spray (kept in your pillow case) can take someone down long enough to get out and for the cops to get there. so can a stun gun. you have to get close enough with the stun gun. there are also GPS panic buttons you can wear. you can push a button and be online with someone instantly who has your location and who can send the cops. that way, no matter what the intruder has planned, his description is out there immediately and he can't prevent that info from getting to LE. plus they give you advice on what to do to stay safe, or fight back.
go for the eyes, balls, and hey, if you're near hot water (hose, handheld shower, sink sprayer) scalding water in the face can stop someone long enough to get safe.
If you have an alarm and it wakes you up, know where you're going to hide and what you have to use for protection once you get to that location, and how to contact authorities from that spot. I mean, keep gasoline in your attic and hide there. if someone opens the hatch, pour gasoline on them and light a match. you can still get out past them while they're on fire. if you're in a bathroom, get the water hot and ready to pour in their face. then tase them while their wet. electricity & water = damage.
ok, I should stop brainstorming. for now...

Yes the sound of a shotgun is a deterrent, Minette. But not half as effective as a well placed shotgun blast...
Raised my kids in Kennesaw, GA, where violent crime is virtually nonexistent..

Kennesaw It's the Law...
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...3x403/526485_166912863463517_1945350086_n.jpg

An experienced criminal knows how to break windows without making noise. With this guys record he has most likely been committing burglaries for a very long time. He's slick (remember the jumping over the fence comment by a neighbor.) His career is being a criminal.

I'll wait to hear more about gang affiliation. When you click the highlighted sentence about him being a gang member it takes you to another article that says nothing about gangs. Most people that have served time in prison do end up hooking up with a gang though. His FB page also hints at juggalo and some are considered loose knit gangs that commit crimes similar to the ones he has been charged with in the past.

I don't even want to think about the child *advertiser censored* thing either until more facts come out. I hate to think about pictures of this little girl possibly circulated around on top of everything else that she has been through.

as far as alarms, I guess it depends where you live. big cities, cops don't come unless they get confirmation of a crime. smaller towns, cops are desperate for some action and are more likely to arrive immediately. esp if they know the neighborhood and the neighbors.

Originally Posted by BeginnersLuck

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2013/04/tobias_summers_northridge_kidnapping_charges.php

Updated at the bottom with horrific details. Warning: Not for the faint of heart. First posted at 3:19 p.m.
Tobias Summers, the at-large gang member wanted for the shocking abduction of a Northridge 10-year-old last week, was charged with three dozen counts of sexual assault, the L.A. County District Attorney's office announced today

My alarm system worked great for me. I didn't need to have the service on top of it. It was loud enough and gave me time to get to my gun if a perp still didn't back off from the noise. I just need to get the darn thing fixed. I was lucky, when I bought this house it was already installed, so I just had someone come and program it for me. If you have motion sensors though and rambunctious pets at night, you would have to keep them out of the rooms and there's nothing like walking downstairs half asleep in the morning and forgetting to punch the code first to deactivate it.

(snipped for focus)

Here's the link that claims TS is an "at large gang member"
http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2013/04/tobias_summers_northridge_kidnapping_charges.php

Updated at the bottom with horrific details. Warning: Not for the faint of heart. First posted at 3:19 p.m.
Tobias Summers, the at-large gang member wanted for the shocking abduction of a Northridge 10-year-old last week, was charged with three dozen counts of sexual assault, the L.A. County District Attorney's office announced today

That's the LA Weekly blog section I found it in that I posted earlier was the only place it said anything about Summer having a gang affiliation.

It's odd to me that out of the hundreds of MSM articles that have come out, they're not mentioning a gang affiliation. If what the LA Weekly blog says it's true, it doesn't make sense to me that none of the MSM are publishing it.

It may actually turn out to be true, with him having been in prison and all, but I'm going to wait for the MSM publications to confirm it.

Just my opinion :twocents:

I saw that but when you go to that article and click on the "at large gang member" sentence (it's highlighted) it should direct you to where they got that information. The page the link takes you to says nothing about anything gang related, unless I missed it.

In the charging document at the end of the document, I'm counting more than 30 charges that have possible life sentences associated with them. Could that be right? I guess I mean could he actually get like 30 life sentences?

In the charging document at the end of the document, I'm counting more than 30 charges that have possible life sentences associated with them. Could that be right? I guess I mean could he actually get like 30 life sentences?

Most of the charges read 15yrs or more to life. They tacked the stuff on heavy so when they try and plea bargain it down, he will still end up with life or at least enough years that he will die in prison I hope.

I just wish they'd find him. After reading that charging document, and what he did to that poor little girl, I'm so worried about him being on the streets that I can't sleep.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679
Back