CA CA - Wendy J. Abrams-Nishikai, 21, Berkeley, 31 October 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

rats

Justice for Sheridan Jane Doe.
Reaction score
Abrams-Nishikai was last seen in Berkeley, California on October 31, 1989. She has never been heard from again.Abrams-Nishikai was a student at the University of California at Berkeley at the time of her disappearance; she left behind a young daughter. Few details are available in her case.

http://charleyproject.org/case/wendy-jamie-abrams-nishikai

https://oag.ca.gov/missing/person/wendy-jamie-abrams-nishikai

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14971

https://charleyross.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/a-switcheroo-wendy-abrams-nishikai/

Apparently, a student at UC Berkeley, according to Charley Project.. The blog's comments are... interesting.

The comments on this blog are also worthwhile reading. It seems as though there is a clear suspicion of what happened to Wendy. A very sad case.

So many women seemingly meet with foul play at the hands of men who are close to them - it's by far the most common scenario. Hopefully at least these days less men get away with it.

https://whereaboutsstillunknown.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/wendy-abrams-nishikai/

Unusual case. A young woman who was a student a a major university with a 2 year old daughter no less, goes missing and it is all pretty much swept under the rug and forgotten. She was of the demographic that traditionally gets the most attention when they disappear.

From what I can tell, it was assumed that she just “ took a runner” and was listed a “ voluntary missing”. This would mean no one was actively looking for her. At some point, when she didn’t come back, questions need to be asked

In the Charlie Project Blog comments, a couple of people who knew he claim that that there were “ rumors” that something more sinister happened but they don’t say what they were.

Anyone who followed the Kristen Smart case that happened at another California university is aware of the jurisdictional problem when a student goes missing. The initial report goes to the campus police who are all too familiar with the problem of students dealing with personal issues who take off for a while and their parents are concerned. They see their jobs as getting the parents to stop worrying and wait it out. They are absolutely unable to investigate the situation as a possible crime. If the student does not turn up and the parents are persistent, they turn the problem over to the local police.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original

Hello! Just googling unsolved cases and found Wendy's case which prompted me to search and compare to Jane Does from around the time of her disappearance. I am sure that is probably the first thing that is done by investigators but maybe not if considered voluntary disappearance? Anyhow-- I found this Jane Doe and couldn't help but think their facial structures seem similar and the timeline/stats match mostly? I have not seen anything about Wendy having a tattoo so probably not but just wanted to see what others thought.

http://api.missingkids.org/photographs/NCMU1103877c1.jpg

Attachments

• NCMU1103877c1.jpg
    NCMU1103877c1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
According to someone claiming to have known Wendy well, she did have a cross tattoo on her chest. The Placer Jane Doe stats sound similar, but not sure if the rest of it's a match - only her family/friends would be able to confirm the clothing, shoes, and jewelry:

A switcheroo: Wendy Abrams-Nishikai (see the very recent comment from "Maria" about the tattoo)
114UFCA

You'd have to imagine that someone has investigated this already, though.

Hi! Yes, I was the one to ask about tattoos and spoke with a friend of hers on that forum. It seems like a crazy coincidence if nothing else. Clothes can be changed but to have the exact same tattoo would be wild! I contacted the Berkeley PD this morning and passed along what I found out. I mean— it’s possible it wasn’t investigated very much due to being classified as a “voluntary” disappearance.

According to someone claiming to have known Wendy well, she did have a cross tattoo on her chest. The Placer Jane Doe stats sound similar, but not sure if the rest of it's a match - only her family/friends would be able to confirm the clothing, shoes, and jewelry:

A switcheroo: Wendy Abrams-Nishikai (see the very recent comment from "Maria" about the tattoo)
114UFCA

You'd have to imagine that someone has investigated this already, though.

Hello! Checking back in to get some thoughts on this case. I’ve made contact with a detective from Berkeley PD to share the information that a family friend gave me about Wendy’s distinct tattoo through that forum. They said that they’ve submitted for the Placer County Jane Doe’s DNA to be tested again and had that approved so I’m excited to hear that— but it’s been a while now and no update on if that returned any information.

In the meantime I did some more digging and today I found something interesting that I hadn’t seen before. Her husband John filed for dissolution of marriage in 1993. Does not mean anything likely, but it’s more information on Wendy/John in a case that there is nearly no public information. Link is here: C-712248 NISHIKAI VS ABRAMS-NISHIKAI . Does anyone have any other ideas on where I can find out more about Wendy? There’s so little information and it’s frustrating and sad.

Hello! Just googling unsolved cases and found Wendy's case which prompted me to search and compare to Jane Does from around the time of her disappearance. I am sure that is probably the first thing that is done by investigators but maybe not if considered voluntary disappearance? Anyhow-- I found this Jane Doe and couldn't help but think their facial structures seem similar and the timeline/stats match mostly? I have not seen anything about Wendy having a tattoo so probably not but just wanted to see what others thought.

http://api.missingkids.org/photographs/NCMU1103877c1.jpg
Any update on this?

Any update on this?
Gosh I wish I did have an update. I made contact with Berkeley PD a few years ago and they said they’d submit a DNA re-test request to the DOJ for Wendy. Never heard anything back. Wendy has dental records on file according to everything I’ve seen. Jane Doe has dental records on file according to everything I’ve seen. They have the same tattoo in the same color in the same location. I have a hard time understanding how there has not been an identification or at least a rule out by now.

Gosh I wish I did have an update. I made contact with Berkeley PD a few years ago and they said they’d submit a DNA re-test request to the DOJ for Wendy. Never heard anything back. Wendy has dental records on file according to everything I’ve seen. Jane Doe has dental records on file according to everything I’ve seen. They have the same tattoo in the same color in the same location. I have a hard time understanding how there has not been an identification or at least a rule out by now.

Have you reached out to the Placer County sheriffs office by chance? You may get more luck getting them to compare Wendy and this UP instead of Berkley PD since they're a smaller department.

Have you reached out to the Placer County sheriffs office by chance? You may get more luck getting them to compare Wendy and this UP instead of Berkley PD since they're a smaller department.
Yes I actually did! I spoke with them as well but they essentially said they have no cold case division and kind of blew me off. Berkeley PD gave it more attention than Placer (understandable since they have more resources) but still. How can it not be her + why aren’t they comparing dental records if they have both Jane Doe’s and Wendy’s? And they have the same tattoo in same color and location.

Yes I actually did! I spoke with them as well but they essentially said they have no cold case division and kind of blew me off. Berkeley PD gave it more attention than Placer (understandable since they have more resources) but still. How can it not be her + why aren’t they comparing dental records if they have both Jane Doe’s and Wendy’s? And they have the same tattoo in same color and location.
Is there a way to go around the PDs and have another agency look into it? I am not too familiar with the options but wonder if anyone else could do the comparison.

Is there a Namus case manager listed that you could contact?

I just read the comments on that Wordpress blog where it seems some of her family have communicated with you. Did you ever try the email address for the California department of justice cold cases I think it was? It really seems like a match huh!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back