CA CA - Westlake Village, HispFem 18-30, UP11249, pregnant, in parking lot, Jul'80

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
3892DFNM - Laura Maria Hernandez

Not sure if she has been suggested yet. She was first reported missing in 93 so the date she went missing could be... Well misremembered. She looks a lot like the sketch.

View attachment 294181
View attachment 294183

Laura Maria hernandez

Incidentally, we also ruled out Laura Maria Hernandez (Maiden name Tijerino) in GedMatch. Although her Date of Last Contact post-dates Ventura Jane Doe's death, we decided to double-check.

We found out that her sister has a GEDMatch kit, which shows no shared DNA with Ventura Jane Doe. Both Laura and her husband (and several recent generations of ancestors) were born in Nicaragua.

Last edited:
Thank you Carl for all the updates and info!

I wish there was something more we could do to help, but I know we all trust DNA Doe Project and I know they'll do anything they can! If someone has contacts in the states she may have been from in Mexico I imagine spreading info about her and the recons could help get the word out while DDP volunteers work through her case.

Carl posted on FB a few hours ago. It contains a new reconstruction of VCJD.

41F8662A-3D8C-4751-9FA5-CB0BC726E776.jpeg

As a member of the DNA Doe Project team working on the 1980 Westlake Village Jane Doe (AKA Ventura County Jane Doe), I recently received additional images of her which were taken at the crime scene, and at the morgue prior to embalming. These images give a much better sense of her look than the two postmortem images that are publicly available online. These images show her hair longer than was apparent in those public images.

Though we have made significant progress in some areas (which we detailed in a recent informational release), we still do not know her identity.

My last image of her was done in 2017, so I decided to do a major revision, based on the new images I had available. Note that the blouse shown here (and in my prior version) is based only on a written description ("white blouse"), and is not intended to replicate her actual blouse.

1980 - Westlake Village, California.

On July 18, 1980, a Westlake High School employee found the body of a Hispanic woman in the parking lot of the school. She had been stabbed to death about 12 hours before.

She was estimated to have been about five months pregnant, and she had an episiotomy scar, indicating that this was not her first pregnancy.

The woman was approximately 19-25 years old, 5'2-5'3" tall, and weighed about 110-120 lbs. Her black hair had grown out for several months with lighter color-treated and permed hair at the tips. Her eyebrows had been shaved, and penciled back in in a very exaggerated slope. Her natural eyebrows had just begun to grow back in below the penciled eyebrows. She had brown eyes.

She was wearing a white blouse, a black bra, red slacks, and black platform shoes.

In 2015, a DNA hit in the CODIS National crime database linked the murder of this woman and another female homicide victim to Wilson Claude Chouest, who was already serving a life sentence for kidnapping, robbery, and rape. The second victim, found in Kern County, California three days prior, was recently identified as Shirley Ann Soosay of Alberta, Canada..

Recent genealogical analysis indicates that she has ancestors who lived in a community called La Blanca (in a town now known as General Panfilo Natera), in the Mexican state of Zacatecas. She also appears to have ancestors from Northeastern Mexico/Southern Texas, Northern New Mexico/Southern Colorado, Indigenous California, and Guatemala.

The father of her unborn child is believed to have been from Choluteca Honduras, and very likely had a biological parent with the surname Baca.

41 years after her death, this woman remains UNIDENTIFIED.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 307732
DNA Painter says it's most likely one of these, so probably someone that would know of her.

Here's hoping. I know of or have met my maternal second cousins because that side of my family is so small and it was close. Plus my great aunt went to great lengths to build our family tree.
But my paternal family? No clue. But in that case, I would know who to call.

I'm not going to pretend to understand anything about DNA and numbers and such, but with the announcement of the identification of Walker County Jane Doe and how prosperous 2021 has been for Does, I am hopeful this Jane Doe can go home soon! She must get her turn.

Unfortunately, there is a note on the spreadsheet, which says that there is a HUGE endogamy which makes identification very difficult

How does that make identification more difficult? I'm clueless on this stuff.

Thanks everyone! That super sucks. I want this poor lady to be able to go home and for her child to have answers about where their mom went :(

Did she really have dental work that originated in the US??? This is the first I've seen, but can't find anything else...This post was from 2014
I have not seen this mentioned anywhere else. She has those "cholas" brows, which is an East LA thing, but anyone can pick up on a fad and I've seen immigrants pick them up within weeks of being in the US.

I can't find any other sources that says her dental work originated in the US. If so, it would mean that there was a good chance that she was raised in the US. She seems quite young.

lYJiaSZ.jpg

Last edited:
I go back and forth as the whether VCJD is from the US or Mexico. I just feel she will be easier to ID if she is from here.

She has two vaccination scars, which would possibly indicate both smallpox and BCG immunizations.
BCG was never given in the US, but is given in Mexico. (It's a Tb vaccine)
And to the best my knowledge, I have never seen anyone with two smallpox scars. Has anyone?????

But investigators did more than send out requests or search an online database.

They used Ventura County Jane Doe's extensive dental work, which was discovered to be American, to narrow down more information about her. In that 1980 examination of her dental work, investigators ruled out the initial theory the woman was an immigrant.

"This tells us this girl grew up in the U.S. and had her dental work done here. I believe she is a U.S. citizen," Rhods said.

DNA may help identify 1980 Ventura, Kern county murder victims

But they said Caledonia Jane Doe showed she had extensive dental work in Mexico....hmmmm :rolleyes:
Tammy Jo never left the US and she apparently had no or minimal dental work...go figure....:rolleyes:

Thank you so much Carl for the updated recon. I see the "cholas brows" in the updated recon. Cholas brows are a unique Los Angeles thing. I guess it's part of the "low-rider culture." VCJD's "upper brow" was penciled instead of tatooed, she could have still been from Mexico and copied a fad that she liked. ..
This is not VCJD, but another depiction.

She may have been picked up in Visalia, CA, but this was supposedly written in a letter that Chouset wrote to someone, so I don't know how reliable the source is.

Someone asked about her shoes. I found an image.
murderedandforgotten.com

VC-JD-10.jpg

Attachments

• cholas eyebrows  (1).png
    cholas eyebrows (1).png
    204.7 KB · Views: 43

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors