Canada - 10 dead and at least 15 wounded in stabbing attacks in Saskatchewan, 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good lord. That previous article by the BBC states:

CBC News reports that Sanderson had broken into a woman's rural property at around 14:00 local time on Wednesday.

The woman spotted Sanderson walking up to her front door, so she locked it and took refuge in a bathroom in her bedroom, her son told the Canadian broadcaster.

Sanderson kicked down the front door and went into the bedroom, telling the woman he would not hurt her and asking her to come with him, but she refused, according to her son.

The suspect took the woman's car keys, along with her mobile phone, water and a soft drink and cigarettes, the son said. The woman called police through a landline, reports CBC.

That poor woman. Glad she immediately saw him & took refuge, and had a landline!

Last edited:
Canada's parole board will review its decision to release one of the men now suspected of carrying out a deadly stabbing attack in Saskatchewan.

"I want to know the reasons behind the decision," Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said. "I'm extremely concerned by what occurred here."

The Timeline of the Police Response
For future reference if needed…..

I was thinking the same thing. I think he most likely stabbed himself but was able to tolerate the pain because of drug use.

I was wondering about the 'medical distress'. Maybe (his own) extreme blood loss causing his body to start shutting shut down? From self inflicted injuries ... and if he was injured during the attacks, he may have been losing blood for a while.

I wonder if he was even wearing a seatbelt when the police rammed him ... probably not. imo
I think even air bags can break ribs, can't they?

Last edited:
Canada's parole board will review its decision to release one of the men now suspected of carrying out a deadly stabbing attack in Saskatchewan.

"I want to know the reasons behind the decision," Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said. "I'm extremely concerned by what occurred here."

Good!!

It also looks like he had previously attacked his partner (perhaps Earl Burns' daughter?) far too many times to be walking around freely and able to commit this violence. According to https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sanderson-court-records-1.6575560:

They also show a long history of intimate partner violence charges and convictions. Sanderson was first charged with assault against his partner in 2011. That charge was eventually dropped.

A year later Sanderson was brought up on fresh assault charges for attacking her. He was convicted and handed 18 months probation and ordered to stay away from alcohol and drugs.
He was also ordered to undergo counselling for anger management and domestic violence and to complete an addictions program.

He was charged again in 2013 for assaulting the same woman and stealing a car, after which he was handed another 18 months probation. Sanderson was once again ordered to stay away from alcohol and start addictions counselling.

New charges were laid against him for assaulting her again in 2015 and 2018.

The records show that time and again he was ordered to stay away from the woman, to get counselling, and even to write her an apology.

And the kicker:

It's not clear why he was still free in June 2018 when he assaulted an RCMP officer at James Smith Cree Nation who was attempting to arrest him. He was sentenced to 569 days in prison to be served concurrently with his other sentences.

After serving two-thirds of that sentence he was eligible for statutory release in August 2021. By November his release was suspended when it emerged he lied about staying with his ex-partner, in breach of conditions.

But in February the Parole Board of Canada lifted that suspension.

"It is the Board's opinion that you will not present an undue risk to society if released on statutory release and that your release will contribute to the protection of society by facilitating your reintegration into society as a law–abiding citizen," the board said in its decision.

It seems he stabbed Earl Burns multiple times in 2015 and then finally was successful in taking his life here in 2022. Something obviously, IMO, happened between his ex-partner and him prior to the rampage. I can't help but be reminded of the Sutherland Springs shooting here in TX... a jaded man who takes his anger and fragile ego out against an entire [church] community, including children, just to slate his former in-laws and ex-partner? Good grief.

Last edited:
It could also indicate the motive for the initial tragedy was a far more targeted
revenge orientated ordeal than previously thought. Its never been reported the owner of the Nissan Rogue was murdered or injured either. But that some lives were spared does not diminish the trauma, pain and heartache of the survivors or family members of the deceased victims.
But LE said some of the stabbings were random. Who knows maybe in this poor woman's case he was just exhausted. How terrifying for her. I mean he broke down both of the doors and and asked her to come with him which thankfully she refused and he didn't physically hurt her. He could have forced her but maybe he though she wouldn't go without screaming and alerting others and he would have to fight others all over again and he may ge even more injured. So it was a very dangerous encounter but for his own sake he left her there. IMO some of the stabbings were targeted while others were random as LE has stated.

Yes …. And he had stabbed 2 of them 7 years ago as well ….it just seems to get more and more horrendous! Imagine surviving a stabbing only for it to occur again…. The absolute terror …..

According to court papers, Sanderson had stabbed two of the victims killed in Sunday's rampage - his in-laws, Earl Burns and Joyce Burns - seven years earlier.

And now he's dead and won't pay for or explain his crimes.

New article:

Three days after a brutal mass stabbing devastated a rural Indigenous community in Saskatchewan, the two brothers who were wanted in the violent attacks are dead, though witness accounts indicate that one of the men, Myles Sanderson, was responsible for the deaths of 10 of the victims, according to a law enforcement official.

How did Myles Sanderson die? They just apprehended him.

At this point, it's just speculation. However, there will be an independent inquiry, so we might hear more before this case is closed.

From the RCMP site:

Shortly after his arrest, he went into medical distress. Nearby EMS were called by police to attend the scene and was transported to a hospital in Saskatoon. He was pronounced deceased at the hospital.

The Saskatchewan RCMP has requested the Saskatoon Police Service and the Saskatchewan Incident Response Team conduct the independent, external investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident. The Saskatchewan RCMP has requested the Ministry of Justice appoint an independent investigation observer in accordance with Section 91.1 of the Saskatchewan Police Act.

New article:

Three days after a brutal mass stabbing devastated a rural Indigenous community in Saskatchewan, the two brothers who were wanted in the violent attacks are dead, though witness accounts indicate that one of the men, Myles Sanderson, was responsible for the deaths of 10 of the victims, according to a law enforcement official.

Snipped by me:

“Three days after a brutal mass stabbing devastated a rural Indigenous community in Saskatchewan, the two brothers who were wanted in the violent attacks are dead, though witness accounts indicate that one of the men, Myles Sanderson, was responsible for the deaths of 10 of the victims, according to a law enforcement official.”

Are they indicating DS WASN’T involved in those deaths? Or just that MS was involved in all?

I actually rewatched the press conference, but unfortunately my French is not passable. That particular question was in French.

If anyone speaks French, it’s a question asked by a reporter - I can’t find an allowed link to the full press conference (with questions).

The question is asked at the 18:24 mark in a press conf that lasts 24:43. (For instance if you went to google and typed in Saskatchewan Stabbings Full RCMP update on Myles Sanderson) I know I’m treading a line SillyBilly. I don’t THINK this breaks the rules, but yank it if it does :)

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
I actually rewatched the press conference, but unfortunately my French is not passable. That particular question was in French. Her response was exactly as you indicated, but are they implying DS wasn’t involved? If anyone speaks French, it’s a question asked by a reporter - I can’t find an allowed link to the full press conference (with questions).
Just to clarify… that paragraph was taken from the linked article ….

I can not speak any French, nor can I find the full presser with questions …

I thought it was worth posting, as it offers a new perspective, and is interesting if this is the case ???

I have wondered if his brother (DS) was under duress by Myles, or at least a reluctant participant???
And possibly his brother (DS) wanted them both to turn themselves in??? This resulting in his own murder??? ….. all JMO, and not a firm theory, but things I have wondered…..

There will be a further update today Canada time …

The chief of a Saskatchewan First Nation is set to speak the day after the suspect in a deadly stabbing rampage died in police custody following a four-day manhunt.

Chief Wally Burns is scheduled to speak alongside other First Nations leaders in the community this morning.

They are also to be joined by RCMP and Crown and Indigenous Relations Minister Marc Miller, Indigenous Services Minister Patty Hajdu and Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino.

Total speculation on my part, but is it possible he ingested something during the chase and ended up overdosing?

Last edited:
Total speculation on my part, but is it possible he ingested something during the chase and ended up overdosing?
Entirely possible.

For me a couple of things about how this was reported doesnt fit though. I could very easily be wrong, but

1) it was reported that he died from self-included WOUNDS (I know it’s semantics, but an OD IMO wouldn’t be called a wound)

2) LE very quickly released that his death was self-inflicted. Without a tox report I think the Canadian police would be much more hesistant to state this. IMO his cause of death had to be OBVIOUSLY self inflicted

I really hope the public doesn’t start to question “another death in custody” type of thing. The RCMP did everything to bring him in…..ALIVE…..I can’t imagine a situation where all interactions aren’t being videotaped with several witnesses.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusyQ
Back