Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are the men walking with DG? Detectives? Undercover police?

They look slightly similar to DG. Similar age, round face, hairline, glasses etc... I wondered if there was a significant reason behind this. To find common ground with DG? A familiarity so he feels comfortable opening up?

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/douglas-garland-s-media-walk-questioned-by-the-head-of-the-defence-lawyers-association-1.1921381

View attachment 55356

Homicide detectives. Check out the shield on the belt.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I have absolutely zero issues with the legitimate fundraisers going on for the family. I also don't care if they use it for legal fees, therapy, home renos or an around the world vacation. This family has been irreparably ripped apart. They themselves are not out soliciting funds from people, and no one is being forced to donate. If there is anything in this world that could help this family heal, I can guarantee the residents of Calgary would pull together and hand it to them on a silver platter. This city for all of it's faults has such a beautiful, giving spirit. If you doubt this in any way, see the outpouring of support during our floods last year, as well as this case.

Stick around, once you have been here a while you will notice a disturbing trend of illegitimate fund raising

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I have absolutely zero issues with the legitimate fundraisers going on for the family. I also don't care if they use it for legal fees, therapy, home renos or an around the world vacation. This family has been irreparably ripped apart. They themselves are not out soliciting funds from people, and no one is being forced to donate. If there is anything in this world that could help this family heal, I can guarantee the residents of Calgary would pull together and hand it to them on a silver platter. This city for all of it's faults has such a beautiful, giving spirit. If you doubt this in any way, see the outpouring of support during our floods last year, as well as this case.

Helping the family heal is great. But there can be scammers, so people should take care who they donate to.

ITA, and think it is in very poor taste and borders on victim bashing that anyone would begrudge this family anything or make them feel shame for what others are doing for them. Folks can choose to give or not give ... simple as that.

I wholeheartedly agree with this complaint. I've never seen anything like it before. The suspect is presumed innocent and his rights should be protected. I think it is the media, rather than police, that overstepped the boundaries, but police should have taken additional measures to prevent the media circus that happened in the middle of the night.

I agree. I thought it was dreadful. No-one could have been more curious than me to see what he looked like but that display by NH was shameful.

Wonder if this case has any link to DG or AL/KL family.

http://www.calgarycrimestoppers.org/unsolved-crimes

2. CPS and RCMP Investigate Shooting Incident

Case #14234975

The Calgary Police Service, with assistance from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), is investigating a shooting incident around the city’s northern limits.

At approximately 2 a.m., on Wednesday, June, 25, 2014, the RCMP requested assistance from CPS near 11 Street N.E. and Hwy 566 in connection with a man found suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. The man, who has been uncooperative with investigators, was found in a rural area with no obvious indication of where or why he was targeted.

It is believed that after the 34 year old was shot, he went to a home just inside the city limits and broke in, and then stole a truck from the property. The homeowner was not in town at the time.

The man then drove across the road, on the north side of Hwy 566, where he was discovered by members of the Airdrie RCMP. He is in stable condition in a local hospital.
Investigators from both the CPS and RCMP are now working together to locate where the man was shot and determine a motive for the crime.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to call police at 403-266-1234, or Crime Stoppers anonymously using any of the following methods:

A notorious Edmonton case, not related to this one.

It's to point out that DG was not singled out as the only person arrested in Canada ever to be seen on camera in a "perp walk" (media jargon, not a legal phrase). Others before him, to name a few ... Tom Svekla (whose pics I linked to upthread), Michael Rafferty, Luka Magnotta, Randall Hopley, etc.

Wonder if this case has any link to DG or AL/KL family.

http://www.calgarycrimestoppers.org/unsolved-crimes

2. CPS and RCMP Investigate Shooting Incident

Case #14234975

The Calgary Police Service, with assistance from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), is investigating a shooting incident around the city’s northern limits.

At approximately 2 a.m., on Wednesday, June, 25, 2014, the RCMP requested assistance from CPS near 11 Street N.E. and Hwy 566 in connection with a man found suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. The man, who has been uncooperative with investigators, was found in a rural area with no obvious indication of where or why he was targeted.

It is believed that after the 34 year old was shot, he went to a home just inside the city limits and broke in, and then stole a truck from the property. The homeowner was not in town at the time.

The man then drove across the road, on the north side of Hwy 566, where he was discovered by members of the Airdrie RCMP. He is in stable condition in a local hospital.
Investigators from both the CPS and RCMP are now working together to locate where the man was shot and determine a motive for the crime.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to call police at 403-266-1234, or Crime Stoppers anonymously using any of the following methods:

Wow what an interesting find goodasgold... What a strange incident...

Money seems to be at the root of these murders. We have the long, unusual financial history of the Liknes couple that was unearthed when they were still considered missing. Everything about the finances raised red flags. We have the suspect that apparently had business dealings with Winter Petroleum, or a patent design, and may have committed the murders because he was not compensated. We know that there are gov't funds for funeral/memorial costs, loss of income, and to cover expenses while recovering from a murder in the family. We know that the Obriens are connected with the request for online fundraising, and we know that there are six adult Liknes children that are eligible for the victim assistance compensation.

There's also the house that was sold for $703,000, possibly a house in Evansburg or Edmonton, and possibly a condo in Mexico.

Hopefully the donations will make life a little easier.

BBM - Just to clarify:

"The dispute was a petty one.

The grudge that may, according to family members, link Douglas Garland to the alleged murders of a Calgary couple and their grandson was over nothing more tangible than recognition."

"According to a relative of Mr. Liknes, Mr. Garland altered one of the patents and believed he should have been included as one of the inventors. Mr. Liknes paid for the work, but would not give Mr. Garland credit for the invention, said the family member, who described the dispute as “petty.”

"However, Winter was not working with any of Mr. Liknes’s patents, he said. Mr. Kozera said the reputed patent dispute between Mr. Garland and Mr. Liknes occurred “before Alvin’s joining Winter. He never mentioned [Douglas Garland] and Winter had no dealings with this man.”

Source: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...glas-garland-over-patent-calgary-family-says/

Is there another reason possible that LE or the family are unaware of if it was not for the alleged dispute over the patent? What other reason could there possibly have been? The phrase "still waters run deep" comes to mind.

If my 5 yr old son was missing and almost certainly dead, the last thing I would be thinking about would be how to direct donations. Quite frankly, it would be all I could do to breathe - one breath at a time.

Doesn't the smart advice suggest not making major decisions when life changing events first occur?

All in good time. Let's find the little man and his Grandparents first.

A "like" wasn't enough for this, otto. I agree wholeheartedly. This case is all about money, from the estate sale on day one right on through the donations. JMO - I get such a terrible feeling from all of it.

I would feel differently if the family was directing any donations towards something specific that was special for Nathan - a bench in the courtyard at the hospital where he was born, a mural or new equipment for the school where he attended kindergarten, a scholarship in his hockey organization, an addition to his favourite neighborhood playground, etc.

I wonder everyday how Nathan's older brother, L, is doing. He is at such a tender age, turning 12 next month. I would gladly donate funds if I knew they would be going towards additional private counseling for L.

You expressed the feelings of Calgarians so eloquently in this post Julydarling. The need to want to do something to help this family in this awful situation permeates Calgary and likely Airdrie and surrounding communities and will continue to do so for some time. How the funds are directed and by whom are decisions that don't have to be made today. Let every man decide for himself if and how he wants to donate.

I am sure that is true, and likely members of Websleuths come across it quite often.

That doesn't mean that this is what is going down in this case.

Stick around, once you have been here a while you will notice a disturbing trend of illegitimate fund raising

If my 5 yr old son was missing and almost certainly dead, the last thing I would be thinking about would be how to direct donations. Quite frankly, it would be all I could do to breathe - one breath at a time.

Doesn't the smart advice suggest not making major decisions when life changing events first occur?

All in good time. Let's find the little man and his Grandparents first.

But they have, in fact, decided on how they will direct the donations. I certainly wouldn't, at this point. I would have any funds waiting until later on and I would make sure the public was aware of this if they chose to donate. But the account that we are discussing, organized by O'Brien friend and neighbour, GH, explains how the funds will be used- expenses, memorial services and legal fees are the things mentioned (sorry, I can't link the fundraising website).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viki Cowan