Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He wrote about when life changed on Range Road 291. That was on July 5, when the massive search of the Airdrie acreage occurred ... helicopters, 40 police walking shoulder to shoulder until they had inspected the entire property, media camped out blocking traffic on the road, nearby sloughs being investigated, dive teams, road blocks in and around Airdrie ... that was significant to people on Range Road 291, not the arrest that happened at 1:30 in the morning nine days later.

I believe that the journalist embellished when he stated that Garland's truck was parked on the street, and that Garland visited the Liknes home at the end of June. In order to support my premise that the journalist may not be concerned with facts, I provided examples where his facts are incorrect. Where there is one mistake, there are probably more. The reporter is not being bashed, but his comments are inconsistent with what was stated at police press conferences. If Garland parked on the street and visited with the victims prior to the murder, that is relevant and important. If it didn't happen, then it should not be reported.

You haven't documented any mistakes in the article at all. You've given your opinion on the use of the description "life changed," which happens to be different from that of the author of the article

As stated previously, the article was written two weeks after the press conference you refer to so the reporter could very well have acquired new information.

It's simply not enough to say, this has not been reported before so it must be wrong.

I'm backtracking a bit trying to make sense of things that stand out in my mind.

1.(In this post)[http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...lgary-30-June-2014-4&p=10714723#post10714723] sillybilly says

Are there actually tornado shelters in Calgary? If so there could be endless locations that DG could have used. I wonder how many abandoned homes/farms there are around Airdrie. Just thinking out loud there.

2. BBM - The original Amber Alert http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/alerts/2014/07/2576.html

We have already debated the part about he may be with AL. But what also stands out to me is the mention of MacLeod Trail specifically. Was he REALLY last seen on that road thru CCTV recordings? Or did LE just use the street name because it is a major road that most would be familiar with? Why not say he was last seen at his Grandparents home in the MacLeod Trail area. Maybe I am nitpicking but I just think that might be something to consider further.

3. On July, 4 LE asks the public to help identify the truck. Later that day they found it. Did it take 4 days for LE to get the CCTV footage? IMO that would be one of the first things to obtain in an Amber alert case. Once LE got this photo didn't they show it to the Liknes and O'briens first BEFORE releasing it to the media? IMO that would be the most logical thing to do in order to avoid tipping off the perp. What if DG saw his truck on the news and NO was alive at the time and then he decided to kill him then, because he knew LE would be coming for him? Doesn't LE take these things into consideration? I find it hard to stomach that LE did not show the photo to ALjr and PG before releasing it to the media. And if they did show it to them before then, I would find it hard to believe that neither of them recognized that truck. ALjr's father was missing, wouldn't he be front and center waiting for the newest developments? Wouldn't LE reach out to family first considering the staggering statistics that most abductions and violent crimes are committed by family members?

The surveillance footage came from a house that is under construction at the end of 38A Ave. It was a four day long weekend. The family members disappeared on over night on June 29. Monday, June 30, they were reported missing. Late that afternoon, the Amber Alert was announced. July 1 was a national holiday. Wednesday, July 2 would be when everyone was back at work.

CCTV was collected and had to be reviewed. What became apparent was that one vehicle was seen several times on the night in question. That information was released on Friday morning. How long would it take to obtain that information, review that information (with up to 200 people at the estate sale), and identify a suspicious vehicle?

Further to the discussion regarding whether DG's vehicle was parked near the house, I have tried 3 times to email the author of the piece. I am satisfied that he was embellishing based on the style of his piece. Anyone who wants to know for sure whether there is a credible source for author's information can email him at jackgiovannetti@gmail.com

Further to the discussion regarding whether DG's vehicle was parked near the house, I have tried 3 times to email the author of the piece. I am satisfied that he was embellishing based on the style of his piece. Anyone who wants to know for sure whether there is a credible source for author's information can email him at jackgiovannetti@gmail.com

Do you really expect the guy to respond to you immediately on a Long weekend or did you contact him before today?

Not mention that the idea that someone who's not a deadly dull writer must be error prone is fundamentally flawed.

Has anyone actually found a factual error in this article yet?

Do you really expect the guy to respond to you immediately on a Long weekend or did you contact him before today?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I made 3 attempts to send him an email and I don't think any of them reached him. I don't know how to use the websleuth email system.

"One of the many vehicles to park near the house, police would later reveal, belonged to Mr. Garland"

Not mention that the idea that someone who's not a deadly dull writer must be error prone is fundamentally flawed.

Has anyone actually found a factual error in this article yet?

"

That's a great idea! He might be shocked to learn that his article is being scrutinized for accuracy.

Didn't mean to stir the pot so much by posting the article and it's quotes but while reading it I was surprised by the 'new' information I thought it contained - hence why I posted it! The writing language definitely sounds the opening to a novel, like the writer really wants to write a book as opposed to an unbiased article. But I'm trying not to be too hard on him, as maybe is trying to personalize the victims and the news for readers even though it could almost be considered irresponsible if not factual. I'm curious his response to all this hoopla...

Does anyone know when DG was released from his 39 month stint?

"Documents from June of 2000 were released Tuesday by the Parole Board of Canada (formerly the National Parole Board) about Douglas Robert Garland, who was then serving time for narcotics offences stemming from a drug lab bust on his parents’ acreage in rural Airdrie, near Calgary, eight years earlier.

Under an “accelerated parole review” program, which no longer exists, Garland was eligible for parole after serving just a sixth of his 39-month sentence.

It appears he was released some time after the June 19, 2000 decision and a follow-up one in October that year."

http://o.canada.com/news/national/b...w-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

Yes but you repeatedly gave links that give the entire government gazette some 127 pages to wade through. All for nought I think.

Stan did suggest the Ctfl+F feature ... worked fine for me on a laptop. I guess mobile's don't have the same capability.

I've read all of these threads regarding the forensic site of the Liknes home. I have a question, which can hopefully be answered by a professional. Can the blood found at the scene be determined to come from the body BEFORE death and/or AFTER death? Despite the obvious, once death occurs the heart isn't pumping out blood.... but if you have wounds, do your wouldn't continue to leak blood.

If the answer is affirmative that YES they can determine the type of blood (live or dead) then they would have a pretty good idea as to the location of the deaths. And whose and how many. Ya?

Could this be the "type" of evidence the police found in the house to confirm DEATHS of the 3 individuals?

Stan did suggest the Ctfl+F feature ... worked fine for me on a laptop. I guess mobile's don't have the same capability.

They don't. I guess we could have cleared that up quite easily. The very first thing I said is no control f on a mobile then asked for a pointer so as not to have to read 127 pages :) sigh* time to sleep I think.

Just having to use initials for DF and TF for persons listed at that addy that was given for Garland Ent******** Inc. DF has the same first name as DG. TF worked at Cenovus. Cenovus has only been in existence since 2009, so thought that might somehow coincide with RO and JO's employment there.

In a sense, Cenovus is a new company, but in another sense, it's an established company that split after a merger ... more like a restructuring.

"Cenovus was formed on December 1, 2009 when Encana Corporation split into two distinct companies: one an integrated oil company (Cenovus), the other a pure play natural gas company (Encana) The split left Cenovus with the assets formerly belonging to PanCanadian Energy Corp. and Alberta Energy Company (AEC), the two Canadian oil and gas companies that merged to form Encana in 2002."

link

... after reading that it is common for oil companies to pop up and disappear overnight, I think it's important to clarify that a company like Cenovus is not built overnight ... not a pop up and disappear oil and gas company.

In a sense, Cenovus is a new company, but in another sense, it's an established company that split after a merger ... more like a restructuring.
<rsbm>

Found a hit that TF was working there in 2011. Curious about how the phone listing is showing as "D & TF" with the D being DG's first name and the TF the only one with the surname attached to it. So perhaps brothers with the same surname or male partners?

Another hit (from Pipeline News, hard to tell, but think it is from 2012) shows TF as Manager of Environmental Services (which sounds quite similar to Garland E************ Services Inc, both connecting to the C*vew**d address. IF D & TF both had the surname of F, then how would the company name of Garland factor in? Could be nothing, but worth snooping a bit more.

Can you tell me how you found it? I am lost at the moment...

It was really, really tough to find and now I've lost it. Will find it again, but may take me some time. I had so many windows open and with back-arrowing, somehow the hit got over-written.

ETA: Re-reading my own post ... sound like a real martyr, eh? ;)

I've read all of these threads regarding the forensic site of the Liknes home. I have a question, which can hopefully be answered by a professional. Can the blood found at the scene be determined to come from the body BEFORE death and/or AFTER death? Despite the obvious, once death occurs the heart isn't pumping out blood.... but if you have wounds, do your wouldn't continue to leak blood.

If the answer is affirmative that YES they can determine the type of blood (live or dead) then they would have a pretty good idea as to the location of the deaths. And whose and how many. Ya?

Could this be the "type" of evidence the police found in the house to confirm DEATHS of the 3 individuals?

Momma, I am not an expert/professional but I think blood is blood. I think forensic investigators use many factors to deduce where deaths take place, when there are no bodies. Volume of blood comes to mind, as well as the presence of other bodily tissue that the loss of would suggest death. They determine the number of people who died by the number of different DNA profiles that are present.

I wonder if Alvin worked the rigs before starting up his oil companies. His first bankruptcy was in 1994. He was 66 years old, perhaps born in 1948. Garland was born in 1960. Kathryn, 53, was probably born in 1961.

In 1994, Alvin was 46 years old. We know that he was married once before, and has four children from that marriage ... but what else was he doing? He married Nathan's grandmother when she was 27ish so he was 40 in roughly 1989. The couple had a child together in around 1992, when Kathryn would have been 31ish.

What do we know about the victim and where, or how, his life intersected with the suspect?

1948 Alvin born
1960 Graduated High School (18 years old)
1960-1987 Alvin is Married, four children (39 years old ... what was he doing for the last 27 years ... working the rigs? ... is that where he got the idea to patent the process?)
1987 Kathryn, daughter born
1991? Alvin marries Kathryn, Nathan's natural grandmother (43 years old, Kathryn is 30)
1992 Alvin and Kathryn, son born (44 years old)
1994 Alvin declares bankruptcy (was it personal or business; to avoid child support, or can't get an oil company off the ground?) (46 years old)
1994-2014 (numerous penny stock oil companies, an account in Panama, connections with a real estate fraud conviction in the US, a merger between a construction company and an oil company (White-something homes and Blue Sky oil and gas in Nevada, and 3 bankruptcies) (66 years old)
2014 Alvin was murdered (66 years old)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member