Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does that put all of us WSers? This horrific crime happened in this mans "own backyard" , to people he knew and likely lived next door to. Perhaps he's wondering how he hadn't heard anything or berating himself thinking he should have....

Good question. I have often wondered if some WS'ers are liking this a little too much.
:blushing:Some of the personal poking and prodding does make me uncomfortable.

"Garland was originally arrested on identity theft charges but Crown Prosecutor, Shane Parker, says he has requested those charges be stayed.

“The evidence from the impersonation will be used as part of the murder case so there was no need to have separate proceedings,” said Parker."

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-p...-case-of-missing-trio-1.1946871#ixzz39d8UYUsM
This is why I'm thinking he used the identity to purchase items or something like that. Identity theft, imo, would involve more than just having an old piece of ID in his posession, it implies active use of someone else's identity. When he was first charged they said that the charges were in relation to the use of MKH's name so my thinking is that he was using it as a cover to avoid drawing attention to his own name. That's why I thought a bank account with a debit where he could make purchases even online .... maybe a PayPal account. JMO

This is why I'm thinking he used the identity to purchase items or something like that. Identity theft, imo, would involve more than just having an old piece of ID in his posession, it implies active use of someone else's identity. When he was first charged they said that the charges were in relation to the use of MKH's name so my thinking is that he was using it as a cover to avoid drawing attention to his own name. That's why I thought a bank account with a debit where he could make purchases even online .... maybe a PayPal account. JMO

Trying to clarify the use of the identity theft versus identity fraud, this link seems helpful. It appears that he can just be in the process of acquiring the identification for the purposes of crime:

What is Identity Theft?

Identity theft refers to the preparatory stage of acquiring and collecting someone else's personal information for criminal purposes. As of January 8, 2010, Senate Bill S-4 became law, making it illegal to possess another person's identity information for criminal purposes.

What is Identity Fraud?

Identity fraud is the actual deceptive use of the identity information of another person (living or dead) in connection with various frauds (including for example personating another person and the misuse of debit card or credit card data).

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/id-theft-vol-eng.htm

I suppose that would mean that the property is in the names of the Liknes couple, their son, and his common law wife. If she put her own money into the property, I'm wondering if she got an advance from her parents or if she had simply saved enough. What I'm thinking is that if the sister of Douglas borrowed money (inheritance advance) from her parents to put into a condo where the Liknes couple would live for the next year, Douglas might view that as the couple dipping into his family finances for their own comfortable lifestyle.

Condos in Mazatlan are not cheap: http://www.solutionsmazatlan.com/Mazatlan_Condos_For_Sale/page_2250858.html

There were many on your link that are $250,000 and less. That's quite affordable, especially if it is being split between several people.

There were many on your link that are $250,000 and less. That's quite affordable, especially if it is being split between several people.
Yes, just checked that out! There's a super cute 2 bedroom furnished for $120K. I think you can get some pretty reasonable properties down there!

I suppose that would mean that the property is in the names of the Liknes couple, their son, and his common law wife. If she put her own money into the property, I'm wondering if she got an advance from her parents or if she had simply saved enough. What I'm thinking is that if the sister of Douglas borrowed money (inheritance advance) from her parents to put into a condo where the Liknes couple would live for the next year, Douglas might view that as the couple dipping into his family finances for their own comfortable lifestyle.

Condos in Mazatlan are not cheap: http://www.solutionsmazatlan.com/Mazatlan_Condos_For_Sale/page_2250858.html

Again you keep framing this as the Liknes, both victims of murder, behaving badly -- "dipping into the family finances for their own comfortable lifestyle." This is an allegation of which you have zero proof.

Given this attitude, I wonder why you had such a negative Rx to those wondering a few days back about the Garland parents and what kind of relationship they had with their son.

It seems the elder Garlands are off limits while anything goes for the victims. Why is that?

Again you keep framing this as the Liknes, both victims of murder, behaving badly -- "dipping into the family finances for their own comfortable lifestyle." This is an allegation of which you have zero proof.

Given this attitude, I wonder why you had such a negative Rx to those wondering a few days back about the Garland parents and what kind of relationship they had with their son.

It seems the elder Garlands are off limits while anything goes for the victims. Why is that?
I think youre missing the part where the op said "douglas might see this..."
I believe that people are trying to see this from dg's point of view so that they might gain some insight as to motive. Context is key here...

I think youre missing the part where the op said "douglas might see this..."
I believe that people are trying to see this from dg's point of view so that they might gain some insight as to motive. Context is key here...

Yes context is key, and I'm looking at in the context of many of the quotes and comments made by certain posters in the these threads.

Yes context is key and I'm looking at in the context of many of the quotes and comments made in the thes threads.
Fair enough. As this was seemibgly a targeted crime though, the victims (at least the elder 2 in this case) would have to have provoked (real or imagined by the Perp) some sort of anger. Thats what people here are currently digging for. Motive. Perhaps that comes off as shedding negative light on the victims but I do not believe anyone here is trying to actively blame the victims. Jmo.

Theres nothing in the world anyone could have done to deserve this. Nothing.

Fair enough. As this was seemibgly a targeted crime though, the victims (at least the elder 2 in this case) would have to have provoked (real or imagined by the Perp) some sort of anger. Thats what people here are currently digging for. Motive. Perhaps that comes off as shedding negative light on the victims but I do not believe anyone here is trying to actively blame the victims. Jmo.

Theres nothing in the world anyone could have done to deserve this. Nothing.

What about all the comments about the victims running off to Mexico with their grandson? That's accusing them of a most despicable crime.

What about all the comments about the victims running off to Mexico with their grandson? That's accusing them of a most despicable crime.
Do you not think cps has asked themselves this question? If it was possible? following the money trail?
Does that mean they're also painting victims in a negative light?

Im not trying to argue, just saying that in cases like this all roads need to be travelled down.

Do you not think cps has asked themselves this question? If it was possible? following the money trail?
Does that mean they're also painting victims in a negative light?

Im not trying to argue, just saying that in cases like this all roads need to be travelled down.

Not after CPS has declared the family members dead.

Do those roads include looking at the Garland parents?

There is a strong motive behind these murders. It seems evident that the motive relates to Alvin Liknes. We know that there were issues with a patent that Garland "altered" for Liknes. Is that enough to justify murder in Garland's mind? Perhaps. If that happened a long time ago, then there is most likely something new that cause Garland to choose murder. The Mexico condo is a recent purchase, and if Garland money is tied up with the condo where the Liknes couple planned to live, then that could be related to motive.

In what way are the parents of a 54 year old accused murder related to the murders?

Not after CPS has declared the family members dead.

Do those roads include looking at the Garland parents?
If there was something pointing to the elder garlands having involvement, then sure.
However just because their son is accused of murder doesnt necessarily mean they had anything to do with it. Same with the other liknes children.

In what way are the parents of a 54 year old accused murder related to the murders?

They lived with the guy most of his adult life and possibly supported him financially. Given his loner status, they appear to have the closest ties of anyone to him.

If there was something pointing to the elder garlands having involvement, then sure.
However just because their son is accused of murder doesnt necessarily mean they had anything to do with it. Same with the other liknes children.

So do you think the Garlands relationship to their son is worth exploring? Not because they're guilty of anything but because they were the two people closest to him.

Just had the most interesting conversation with my mother. Someone she knows is former RCMP and was on the team re: DG when he was on the run and tracked him for 5 years finally being on the team that arrested him in BC ... I'd love to have a conversation with that person!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb