Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recovery location for Helena- 32-year-old Helena Mihaljevic, of Calgary, who was last reported seen July 2, 2006,

The disturbing find was made Sunday afternoon by passersby taking a stroll in thick scrub about 1 km east of Symons Valley Rd., just north of Township Road 280, said RCMP Sgt. Patrick Webb.

“It didn’t make their day,” he said.

Investigators with the RCMP forensic identification unit taped off the scene yesterday and scoured the area on foot and by helicopter for further evidence.

The remains, including a skull and leg bones, are being studied by the medical examiner to determine the person’s identity, said Webb.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightCanada/ar/t2005.htm

when did everyone (canucks) sign up for their S.I.N? I always found it odd that DG signed up for his when he was 20,, why the delay, I think I was 11 or 12 when I did in school. Why did DG opt out till later?
I got mine when I was 12. I got a job with the Boys & Girls Club cleaning up garbage at the Stampede, lol.

I could see that someone working a farm might not get one until they were getting a job off the farm or a student loan ....

My kids got them shortly after birth for RESPs :).

Can anyone zoom in really tight on this pic - I swear I can see a wedding band on the ring finger of the visible hand?View attachment 56286

Finally something I can help with! ;) Anywho...I found a slightly larger pic...blew it up....it still looked quite shadowy around the fingers so I used a trick of mine I use in my photo restoration work...
I inverted the picture to a 'negative' which enhances areas in a picture especially just about anything metallic...

In this picture the original belt buckle of his 'friend' is very white from reflection & when inverted changes to very black...figured if there was a metallic band...it would definitely show....and...looks to me like...no band....maybe it's my old eyes but...I don't think there is one.....looks like further down towards the wrist is possibly a watch tho.... :)

ETA: now that I think of it...the 'watch' could well be handcuffs?

hand4.jpg

link - ?

Sharene Rae Oswald, 42
Sept. 2004 A positive identification has been made on the human remains discovered last month by local youths southeast of Airdrie. The skeletal remains of Sharene Rae Oswald, 42, - a Calgary resident originally from Ontario, who also went by the last names of Williamson, Elliott and Pearson – were discovered Feb. 27 in a wooded area two kilometres south of Yankee Valley Road near Range Road 290.

http://www.primetimecrime.com/Recent/murder_Edmonton_Serial.htm

when did everyone (canucks) sign up for their S.I.N? I always found it odd that DG signed up for his when he was 20,, why the delay, I think I was 11 or 12 when I did in school. Why did DG opt out till later?

I remember distinctly getting my SIN before we moved west when I was 14......everyone in the 7th grade...*so 12 yrs old* ...no sign up.....weird he didn't till 20 for sure...being he's within months of my age....and my younger sister got hers too & she was in grade 6...

Finally something I can help with! ;) Anywho...I found a slightly larger pic...blew it up....it still looked quite shadowy around the fingers so I used a trick of mine I use in my photo restoration work...
I inverted the picture to a 'negative' which enhances areas in a picture especially just about anything metallic...

In this picture the original belt buckle of his 'friend' is very white from reflection & when inverted changes to very black...figured if there was a metallic band...it would definitely show....and...looks to me like...no band....maybe it's my old eyes but...I don't think there is one.....looks like further down towards the wrist is possibly a watch tho.... :)

View attachment 56295
Thank you Lori. I can stretch the image on my iPad and definitely see what looks like a gold watch. At a certain point I see a glint and indentation on the ring finger but can't get close enough to be sure. Would that be a turnover for the books.... Find a Mrs a Hartley out there ( or ex Mrs Hartley). Thank you so much.

I have a hunch that Helena was acquainted with DG somehow.

Here is a link that LoisLane posted back in thread #10 about someone named Mihaljevc placing flowers at the Liknes home.

Of course it's a small world and maybe it was just a random person with the same last name.

http://qmiphotos.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/G00006lXvcfrdWPI/I00004O9GsKl0BNQ/94

Here's a disturbing fact about her murder ... something that might be consistent with Garland ... along the lines of being smug about getting away with doing what he shouldn't do:

"Two months after Mihaljevic’s remains were found in a field near Airdrie, people still call her cellphone number to hear the recorded voice mail message.

That Mihaljevic’s cellphone remains active months after her disappearance and death is just one more troubling aspect of the mystery surrounding her violent death."

https://jasonvanrassel.wordpress.com/unsolved/

IMO, their bodies have been placed down a well or simply placed somewhere in a field/side of road.

We know that DG's truck was not likely capable of 4x4ing to the recovery location.

LE feels sure they will recover the families remains, as they stated at the presser.

Despite all the indications of chemicals, machinery, etc., I am following the KISS methodology for 'disposal' here.

The didn't care once he accomplished his planned goal of killing BOTH Liknes'. For revenge, no doubt.

I would not be surprised to learn that the family has been placed in a location between their home in Calgary and Airdrie.

JMO

Agreed. I don't think he would've gambled being elaborate at the acreage, there's always the risk of his parents coming home early due to weather, illness, tiredness, etc. I've always thought he had a spot (or a few maybe) planned between the two homes also.

View attachment 56295

You're right. I stretched your pics and those are cuffs. I still see a little band (not shiny) on that finger - quite clear in your neg. I wish I could put an arrow to it for you but can't do that on the iPad.

Here's a disturbing fact about her murder ... something that might be consistent with Garland ... along the lines of being smug about getting away with doing what he shouldn't do:

"Two months after Mihaljevic’s remains were found in a field near Airdrie, people still call her cellphone number to hear the recorded voice mail message.

That Mihaljevic’s cellphone remains active months after her disappearance and death is just one more troubling aspect of the mystery surrounding her violent death."

My late husband's cell phone is still active because Telus won't let me cancel it without a penalty .... it's been a year and 4 months .... maybe because it's the only thing left with her voice they can't bear to cancel? It's amazing how quickly you forget someone's voice when they're gone.

My late husband's cell phone is still active because Telus won't let me cancel it without a penalty .... it's been a year and 4 months .... maybe because it's the only thing left with her voice they can't bear to cancel? It's amazing how quickly you forget someone's voice when they're gone.
Hugs for you

You're right. I stretched your pics and those are cuffs. I still see a little band (not shiny) on that finger - quite clear in your neg. I wish I could put an arrow to it for you but can't do that on the iPad.

I see it too... but I was wondering if it is a pen held inside his hand because it looks like it goes higher up between his fingers in the pic that LoriMcA blew up.

That is absolutely awful of Telus to treat you that way. They should be penalized for that. I am sorry for your loss.

View attachment 56295

It does look like a ring to me in the color photo, not the inverted, but it really is hard to tell...I'd be assuming it, but I do think it looks like a ring to me JMO.

I remember distinctly getting my SIN before we moved west when I was 14......everyone in the 7th grade...*so 12 yrs old* ...no sign up.....weird he didn't till 20 for sure...being he's within months of my age....and my younger sister got hers too & she was in grade 6...

Speaking of DG in his youth, I wonder if he did any crime while a juvenile? His records would be sealed, I wonder if that would ever come out in court if he did. Maybe he didn't need a SIN until 20 because maybe it was at 20 that he had to get a job, maybe he never had a job before then(?)

This definitely says to me, that Helena's was acquainted with her assailant and the assailant might've been obsessed with her and almost still obsessed about her afterwards since the phone and email was still being used. Very creepy.

He probably didn't need one until he was 20 years old. That means he didn't have a job until then. After completing high school, he went to university. Barely into his third year, at the age of 20, he was expelled for cheating. Then he needed to get a job, so then he got a social insurance number.

I am also very curious about the January 2010 incident where DG received a $575 fine for failing to yield to a pedestrian in Airdrie. First, has anyone accessed the information to prove this claim and can I please see it? I have searched everywhere that I can think of and have yet to dig that up. I did however search Airdrie online postings in regards to pedestrians being struck in January of 2010. The only one I can find that fits the time frame is this:
http://www.airdrieecho.com/2010/01/20/airdrie-pedestrian-killed-attempting-to-cross-qeii

The reason I am looking at articles such as this is because I am trying to understand how you can manage to receive a ticket for failing to yield for a pedestrian. Was an officer witness to it? Did someone record his license plate and report it? Did a camera pick it up? Did he hit the pedestrian and the charge was a result of that? Could the article above be related and because it was a death the fine is protocol? Could it have been deliberate?

http://www.airdrieecho.com/2010/01/06/intersections-the-silent-killer
Was it community awareness as per this article? Maybe this article was in relation to a specific incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay