Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a new FB page for The Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation started on Dec 7th. That little boy sure captured a lot of hearts across this country, I truly hope this foundation thrives. Peace be with him and his family during this Christmas season.

https://www.facebook.com/NathanOBrienChildrensFoundation?pnref=lhc.recent

He certainly has. Such a beautiful boy. My thoughts and hopes are with Nathan and his family.

Thanks for posting this. I see that a family member of the man who donated the $1M (Neisler) has posted regarding the church basketball team for kids aged 6-8. They named their team after Nathan and won their first game.

The Neislers are trustees with the church.

I emailed one of the reporters covering the L case to ask if he knew the date of DG's next court appearance which was said at his last appearance in September to be scheduled for sometime in December. He said if there is an appearance in December, DG would not be present and only the lawyers for each side would be present, and that we wouldnt' hear much on this case until the trial which will likely not take place until sometime in 2016. Man, what a long time to wait for any news!

I emailed one of the reporters covering the L case to ask if he knew the date of DG's next court appearance which was said at his last appearance in September to be scheduled for sometime in December. He said if there is an appearance in December, DG would not be present and only the lawyers for each side would be present, and that we wouldnt' hear much on this case until the trial which will likely not take place until sometime in 2016. Man, what a long time to wait for any news!

Thanks for doing that! 2016? I thought it was may 2015?

We should at least hear SOMEthing, like.. how he is pleading? I'm not sure when that happens? At DG's September appearance, his counsel stated there was much more disclosure to come,
"We've been through a large bulk of it, but I understand there's still a lot more that's going to come. I understand that we won't have full disclosure until sometime later in November, early December," said defence lawyer Kim Ross."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-o-brien-murder-case-douglas-garland-appearance-draws-gasps-in-courtroom-1.2768976
But the Prelim will undoubtedly have a publication ban, so we won't be allowed to hear *any*thing much other than what the various facial expressions were doing and what everyone is wearing. The Prelim only determines whether the Crown has enough evidence to proceed to trial, but doesn't 'judge' its value. This is where Shane Parker will do his 'test drive', but we won't likely be privvy to any of it unfortunately, unless we actually attend.

In September at the Prelim Hearing of 2 men who had been charged with 1st degree murder, and subsequently denied bail, the men's charges of 1st degree were thrown out and reduced to manslaughter and kidnapping. Shane Parker 'conceded' there was insufficient evidence to put before a jury which could result in a first-degree murder conviction. There was a publication ban on that Prelim Hearing as well. I am confused because someone on WS had earlier mentioned that whichever judge starts out on a case, usually follows it through to preside over the different appearances as a case winds its way through the courts, however this case seems to have different judges at different times. Also, one would hope that the charges levied by the Crown would have enough evidence to take it to trial. If the Crown 'concedes' that a case doesn't have enough evidence for the charges levied, does that mean he tried to slip it through anyway? Or that he needs a judge to tell him if enough? Or... ?

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/09/30/judge-orders-manslaughter-charges-in-alleged-drug-killing

The OB's and L families are in my thoughts this holiday, I hope that 2015 brings them the answers and closure they deserve.

Article published Dec. 20 regarding the lack of information in the Calgary Crime Map.

http://www.calgaryjournal.ca/index....s-high-profile-crimes-that-happen-in-the-city

"However, the map does not include high-profile crimes such as domestic violence, kidnapping, and the manufacturing, production, and trafficking of illicit drugs.."

When asked if these high-profile crimes will be on the list, Nimira Kurji, from the communication and technology section of the CPS, said privacy concerns are a constraint.

"Privacy legislation prevents the release of certain types of information. Therefore privacy and investigative reasons determine what details can be posted on each type of incident. This site is meant to educate the public about what to watch out for in terms of crime trends, not as a public warning system."

I didn't watch the interview but the link and synopsis of it is below,,, strange singular mention of NO but not his grandparents;

Was there a conflict of interest in the Brentwood stabbings? Will they ever find Nathan O'Brien's body? These are the questions addressed in this segment of the year-end interview with Calgary police Chief Rick Hanson.

Hanson on this year's biggest murder investigations

6:26

Was there a conflict of interest in the Brentwood stabbings? Will they ever find Nathan O'Brien's body? These are the questions addressed in this segment of the year-end interview with Calgary police Chief Rick Hanson.

I didn't watch the interview but the link and synopsis of it is below,,, strange singular mention of NO but not his grandparents;

Hanson on this year's biggest murder investigations

6:26

It again makes me wonder... did they find proof in the form of remains of the Liknes' and not NO?

It again makes me wonder... did they find proof in the form of remains of the Liknes' and not NO?

I wonder why he did not make such a comment in mid-July. Did the search officially end upon arrest? I am confused. Did LE inform the family that they would never be recovered?

Police Chief Hanson is confident they will never find the remains of Nathan O'brien, Kathy and Alvin Liknes.
He states that the evidence that will be presented at trial will make this clear.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/rick-hanson-calgary-s-police-chief-reflects-on-2014-1.2885765
I guess what I mean by remains is bone fragments or something similar. Not exactly remains but substantial proof of death, KWIM? They made a comment that always stuck with me - when searchers wanted to continue searching for bodies and LE stated that they wouldn't know what to look for...

Made me think they knew the bodies would never be recovered, at least whole.

Article published Dec. 20 regarding the lack of information in the Calgary Crime Map.

http://www.calgaryjournal.ca/index....s-high-profile-crimes-that-happen-in-the-city

"However, the map does not include high-profile crimes such as domestic violence, kidnapping, and the manufacturing, production, and trafficking of illicit drugs.."

When asked if these high-profile crimes will be on the list, Nimira Kurji, from the communication and technology section of the CPS, said privacy concerns are a constraint.

"Privacy legislation prevents the release of certain types of information. Therefore privacy and investigative reasons determine what details can be posted on each type of incident. This site is meant to educate the public about what to watch out for in terms of crime trends, not as a public warning system."

Thanks for the info! Gee, makes one wonder if they read this thread and this info was directed to WS'ers! Now we know and can stop speculating and wondering and close that door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarice34ON4ill