Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 1m1 minute ago
Jurors don't have to know how #Garland restrained his victims in the truck; it's enough to know they were in the truck and taken to Airdrie.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 24s25 seconds ago
Take a deep breath, follow the law, follow your common sense, Crown prosecutor Parker tells them. #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 30s31 seconds ago
Parker to jurors: "You are faced with an awesome responsibility. The evidence in this case has been hard to hear, I'm sure of it." #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 31s32 seconds ago
Parker says the murders happened at the farm. "Don't outsmart your common sense." #Garland #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 31s32 seconds ago
Parker to jury "You got to hear all of the evidence, not a snapshot or a tweet” #Garland "you felt the trial "

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 37s38 seconds ago
Parker - you are faced with an awesome responsibility. The evidence in this case has been hard to hear. I'm sure of it. #garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 39s40 seconds ago
"Don't outsmart your common sense," says Parker of murders happening on #Garland farm. #yyc

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 44s45 seconds ago
Parker to jurors: "Follow the law, follow the evidence...Don't outsmart your common sense...You felt the evidence." #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 23s24 seconds ago
Parker says jurors have seen/heard "all the evidence" and can make an informed decision that others could not. #Garland #yyc Retweet
Like 1
Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 26s27 seconds ago
Crown prosecutor Shane Parker's submissions done. Defence at 2. #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 43s44 seconds ago
Parker says jury saw all evidence: You saw some witnesses holding back tears. You felt the evidence." #Garland #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 48s49 seconds ago
"You fought through colds, you leaned in, your soldiered through some tough evidence" and did their job, says Crown in closing. #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 4m4 minutes ago

Defence closing arguments will start at two, after the lunch break #Garland

Whew made it.
I am offline until about 2:30.. If no one can cover tweets at 2:00, I will catch us up when I'm back!
-JS

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 31s32 seconds ago
Parker to jury "You got to hear all of the evidence, not a snapshot or a tweet” #Garland "you felt the trial "

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 37s38 seconds ago
Parker - you are faced with an awesome responsibility. The evidence in this case has been hard to hear. I'm sure of it. #garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 39s40 seconds ago
"Don't outsmart your common sense," says Parker of murders happening on #Garland farm. #yyc

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 44s45 seconds ago
Parker to jurors: "Follow the law, follow the evidence...Don't outsmart your common sense...You felt the evidence." #Garland

okay this is totally random and has nothing to do with the case but isn't "don't out-smart your common sense" a song lyric? it just sounds so familiar.

So what time is out there in Canada??

It's 9:30pm here...

This is going to come hard and fast today .... Got my fingers warmed up and lots of caffiene going here!
I hope Kfox got in....
i did but had leave at am break for work will post after i catch up

Epic from the Crown. IMO. They brought it home. Laid it down. Bye Killer.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 32s33 seconds ago
"Doug #Garland showed nothing but a cool demeanour after killing and dismembering" his victims. #yyc

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 48s49 seconds ago
Parker: Consider the injuries to #Garland at time of arrest .."there was still fight in Alvin."

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 50s51 seconds ago
Parker: reminds jury of "nasty bruise" on #Garland knee when arrested-and blister on thumb-crown said from sawing

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 59s60 seconds ago
Parker reminds jury protective suits found at #Garland home, chemicals to erase DNA & searches-how to hide anything

BBM ... blister on thumb crown ... I never heard that before in testimony.. just sayin...

Is it possible that he did the "autopsies" on the victims while they were still alive? Why else would he have done those researches on most painful torture?

IMO
I thought that at first but 13 and 14 are so close together it doesnt matter where the photo was taken. Its pretty obvious they are different to me.

And I think that is why the evidence mentioned in the courtroom focused on just the left foot.

I dont think it changes much other than I do think he had on two different sizes

About the two different shoe sizes. It might be an optical illusion, or possibly a men's 13 and a women's 13. There's got to be a logical reason for the size 13 women's shoes.

I was thinking about the Crown's closing remark to the jury not to lose their common sense. Here's why that's such a great closer for the prosecution.

If Garland is not the murderer then he is the unluckiest person on the planet. Someone with a truck the exact make, model, color and rust stains as Garland happened to arrive at the murder scene the same early morning hours the victims went missing; the victims are people Garland happened to know and happened to have a grudge against; he happened to have researched them recently online as well; he happened to research kidnapping, torture and murder just when neighbors of his were about to be kidnapped, tortured and murdered; he happened to be into adult diapering and the victims happened to have on adult diapers; even though there were no livestock on the farm, Garland's collection of meat hooks and cleavers is not suspicious because everybody knows collecting meat hooks and cleavers is just normal, good family fun; he happened to be into locksmithing and the victims' house happened to be accessed through a picked lock; of all the vehicles Kathy decided to bleed on before getting murdered, it happened to be Garland's truck; of all the knives and hooks the victims decided to bleed on, they happened to be Garland's; the crime scene happened to be free of the murderer's DNA and Garland just happened to have laying around some DNA cleaner and haz-mat suits; the victims were two adults and a child and, has bad luck would have it, two adults and a child happened to be photographed laying deceased on Garland's property a day later; the murderer happened to incinerate the bodies in Garland's burn barrel for many hours with neighbors noticing the unusual smoke and flames, but Garland himself happened never to notice the incineration or the grisly remains; and, of course, he is most unlucky when it comes to his footwear since: (1) the murderer happened to wear sneakers the same size and brand as a shoebox Garland had on hand, (2) the victims happened to bleed onto Garland's rubber boots -- especially unlucky since Garland had never even met Nathan before, and (3) the victims were so inconsiderate as to put their blood on the sneakers Garland happened to be wearing when arrested.

(Any lack of seriousness in the above is meant as sarcasm not insensitivity to this horrific crime).

I'm sure I missed some things and I apologize if I got some minor details mixed up from memory, but I think you get the gist. Even without the bodies or the culprit's DNA at the initial crime scene, as long as common sense prevails this is as open and shut a conviction as it gets. IMO

Is it possible that he did the "autopsies" on the victims while they were still alive? Why else would he have done those researches on most painful torture?

There are some details we will never know. I do believe they were tortured. As much as it pains me to type this.

About the two different shoe sizes. It might be an optical illusion, or possibly a men's 13 and a women's 13. There's got to be a logical reason for the size 13 women's shoes.

There are no two different shoe sizes until the defence team says so. Otherwise, it's a common photographic distortion/illusion.

He had women's size 13 shoes because that's the highest you go without expensive special orders. He wouldn't be the first person to squish himself into too small shoes if those were indeed his women's shoes. No big mystery there.

If so then why did Crown pick a photo with just left shoeprint during closing argument?
attachment.php

Attachments

• C4j8vJRVcAE6ppM.jpg
    C4j8vJRVcAE6ppM.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 187
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors