Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is a slough? Lake? body of water?

On the prairies, I don't think it would be unusual to find an underground bunker to be used as shelter in the event of tornado warnings. Nowadays might find them being used as an underground meth lab.

I'm doubtful about that. There are a lot of sloughs (water table), there's permafrost, there's clay a few feet below the soil. I did a bit of research and learned that at one time there were four permits issued for building a bomb shelter in the 1960s. They were built as part of a regular basement. Researching "storm cellar", one finds links to clubs, pubs, and hostels. Aren't tornados so rare that people don't worry too much about it?

I am so puzzled. I know appearances can be deceiving but there really is no indication either grandparent would harm child. I also dont think that if either grandparent had child because they had to get away quickly after seeing or being involved in something bad, they wouldn't contact Nathan's parents. I have a gut feeling that there has been contact with Nathan's parents because of the silence since their first statement. Which leads them to be in the position of not being able to speak for fear of jeopardizing the investigation. Its a long stretch to go from cooking meth and impersonation to killing a child. I just dont see it. Also if DG had indeed been involved in a car crash that killed someone, the media would be all over it and it would have come out at his court case. More likely is that he knew the family or that he didnt know the family but read about it in the paper. Yet why would he take that identity? I think the accident got to him for some reason. Does anyone know anything about MH and his sister's parents? Have the police talked to them?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I'm doubtful about that. There are a lot of sloughs (water table), there's permafrost, there's clay a few feet below the soil. I did a bit of research and learned that at one time there were four permits issued for building a bomb shelter in the 1960s. They were built as part of a regular basement. Researching "storm cellar", one finds links to clubs, pubs, and hostels. Aren't tornados so rare that people don't worry too much about it?

Tornados are certainly not rare in the prairies ... have had several devastating ones in Alberta. Pine Lake in 2000 was horrific, and Alberta's first one of the year, southeast of Calgary, was just a couple of weeks ago.

Br9Rc5HCMAASMsT.jpg

https://twitter.com/SUNdmakowichuk

Douglas Garland has spoken to duty counsel, adjournment to Wednesday for a bail hearing #yyc

Meghan Grant ‏@CBCMeg
A homicide detective & the father of missing 5 y/o Nathan O'Brien were in court for Garland appearance. Still a "person of interest" #cbc

https://twitter.com/CBCMeg

Thinking out loud…

DG currently wasn't on the run… hiding in plain sight

In the 1999 article discussing DG's behaviour in the workplace it was mentioned if he broke a beaker he would want to replace it… the whole university breakdown, stolen identity, working in a lab, second breakdown, on the run for seven years, subsequent meth lab that leads to his arrest… now possible underground shelter? shades of Walter White? :gaah:

When was the last time DG parents seen at all? I mean are they around? Alive? Did he kill them? Police are taking items from the house and have nothing to charge this guy with yet?

Tornados and Alberta:

http://globalnews.ca/news/582236/a-look-at-tornadoes-in-canada/

On average the Prairies get 43 tornadoes annually; 17 occur annually in Ontario and Quebec. A corridor that runs from Windsor through London to Barrie is known as Ontario’s “tornado alley.” Another “tornado alley” is in the Prairies from southern Alberta to Manitoba

I don't believe I've ever heard of dogs searching in water before.

I assume that any working or abandoned wells would have been checked. I wish I knew the status of the slough and why it hasn't been dragged for any evidence. Sorry if I missed the reason why this hasn't been done.

Water wells aren't actually holes in the ground. Water wells are where a pipe is drilled into the ground until it connects with a water stream (usually 80-220 feet, depending on elevation). Septic tanks have a 3' diameter lid/cover. If anything other than sewage (such as bleach, or people) is put into the tank, it will result in system failure.

A slough is water that sits on the surface of the ground in a basin. Water levels vary annually. I wonder how deep the slough is. I suspect that "dragging" it would result in churning the mud and grass. I wonder if they'll do a visual inspection and use poles to detect anything at the bottom of the slough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024