Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The window was certainly in tact in the early days so maybe it was removed for investigation.
JMC101198096_low.jpg

image.jpg

The mud is interesting but it is likely that the mud is associated with use of the western alley that leads to the Liknes garage in their backyard. The western alley is not paved and the weather for the week of June 23 to July 1 was quite rainy which commonly leads to fairly large, muddy, puddles in unpaved alleys. If you look at Google streetview from 38A Ave down that alley you can see various puddles from previous rain storms.

Do you think it would be caked up that much into the wheel wells though?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54597&d=1404863940

"News Talk 770
@NewsTalk770

ICYMI: Here's the full audio from today's media availability re: #AmberAlert. Search continues, tips needed. #yyc bit.ly/W1khYz
1:03 p.m. Thu, Jul 10"

The window has definitely been taken away for evidence. These are old style windows and the only opening part is the right hand section.

"News Talk 770
@NewsTalk770

Brookwell reiterates that they're looking into the Liknes business dealings. That concludes the avail. Aurelio Perri will have more this PM.
12:29 p.m. Thu, Jul 10"

From twitter

Thanks button wasn't enough! I have a decade on DG, and I can keep up with the best of them. The word tired is not in my vocabulary. I have no problems carrying a 50-lb bag of cat litter up the stairs, although I don't have the strength I did when younger. Energy? Yes, lots of it. Seems like stereotyping to me IMHO, and I strongly disagree.

Again, I am behind..lol so sorry if this has been said....but I think the thought that he is weak and frail might just be because of the sketch of him. He doesn't look bright and full of energy or very big. But that could just be to blame on the sketch. He looks old for his age in the sketch.

I mainly lurk here and have been following this case since last week. I'm of mixed feelings about DG and if he's their guy. I guess LE feel quite confident about it otherwise they wouldn't be putting so many resources into it. I have wondered if LE has looked into a child abduction theory as in someone saw the boy either at the park or during the estate sale, broke into the house to try and get the boy, and then a fight ensued when the grandparents woke up to noise. I don't know....it seems unrealistic but I think of cases like Elizabeth Smart and Madeleine McCann.....

Valerie Fortney @ValFortney
Won't comment on which person was harmed in the home. #yyc #AmberAlert

https://twitter.com/ValFortney

I would think that they know by now, they just aren't saying.

For all we know, AL or KL injured an intruder. Fearing for their lives and that of NO, they took off in the intruder's vehicle. Of course, just speculating .

Enviro Canada shows precip June 29 as 3.6mm and June 30 as 1.4. With the mud on AL's truck, is it possible the perp hosed down the walkway to eliminate muddy footprints.

At one point, I thought it possible that AL made a trip to the dump early morning to get rid of household items. If that was the case, there would be no reason for him to hose down his own footprints.

purple marks garage.jpg
Don't which pic you are referring to. There are pics that otto did with increased red saturation of markings that appear to be blood, and other pics with purple markings where luminol has been used.

If you look at the garage door in this picture there is purple markings in the door- or course that is if you have excellent vision as I don't know why the picture is so small :-(

Post 176 has the proper picture

Is that the specific street drug that endows one with above average strength and stamina? If so, we might be on to something!

I'm wondering if the victims were tied up and being held in another room, while the ransacking was going on. One of the victims may have been able to free themself enough to drag themself from the side door to the driveway, to flag down help. Imo, it would take quite a bit of time and enormous strength to drag a person weighing in at 200 lbs. IMO

I wonder as well otto because I have located a photo of the home prior to crime investigators going through it thoroughly as noted by the garage door opener not having any crime dust on it as yet. Here you can see a definite reflection on the window casement area in question.

I am currently cross referencing kijiji photos, KL facebook page pictures and MSM pics to ascertain a floor plan of the home. Am I permitted to post? Reason being for the cross reference is that the photos on MSM show the curtains are clearly open on the main level of the split floor plan home so much so that you can see right across the main floor living and kitchen area (I determined living and kitchen area due to the pictures I have available and wish to post if permitted) therefore it is my opinion that the crime occurred either in the basement and/or in the area above the garage. I have some queries and thoughts about something but cant post as yet.

Kijiji photos should be okay, as they are simply public ads. Facebook photos probably aren't okay. If you have an idea about the layout, I would be happy to start making a floor plan using 3D software.

Do you think it would be caked up that much into the wheel wells though?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54597&d=1404863940

JMO but I've never shared the impression that the amount of dirt on the truck was that significant. Seems like an ordinary amount that could splash up from a puddle or a trip down a gravel alley.

It is interesting the police are using the truck gate as a post for their crime scene tape. It makes it seem like they weren't that concerned about that truck as a potential piece of evidence, or trying to protect the tail gate for forensic purposes.

Ok, I am going to throw this out there and hopefully if I am permitted I can cross reference the photos from kijiji and MSM as well as one pic on KL face book page.

There are photos on kijiji that account for the main floor living room area and dinette area and furniture. This is a split level home and I lived in one and am very familiar with dimensions and how they work for this home style. The kijiji ad has different furniture groupings that are for sale. I cross referenced them in pictures. I can ascertain which ones are the basement pics and which ones are the main floor pictures. What I am finding very very curious is that there is a grouping of pictures that have large pieces of furniture and desk grouping areas that would not fit in this house style or size UNLESS the garage area is actually a living space area that was converted. I have pictures of what looks to be the side door area of the home and you can clearly see a step down in the area that the furniture is in meaning often times when you convert a garage area into a living space you put a sub floor keeping you off the concrete. If you recall the pictures where you see the carpet all bunch up under the leather couches? This is the area I am referring to. I want to post the kijiji pictures and need confirmation that I can do so. Please advise.

If I am correct and I really am thinking I am, then the garage area is very important.

I'm bothered by the #FindNathan and #BringNathanHome hashtags that I see on twitter. There are three people missing here.

I don't know… I think that this story has touched a lot of people, and people are just looking for a way to express themselves… I'd rather see posts and hashtags only about nathan than people not mentioning the case at all.

And I think if we are all honest with ourselves, it's likely that many of us are pained more deeply by the thought of an innocent, young child going missing in what is apparently a violent crime... than we are at the thought of two grown adults, who have more of a capacity to defend themselves, going missing...

Maybe I'm alone here, and maybe it's a horrible thing to say... but I am indeed affected more deeply by stories where children are the victims.

Doesn't mean I am not worried and hurting for the grandparents though…

I don't know… I think that this story has touched a lot of people, and people are just looking for a way to express themselves… I'd rather see posts and hashtags only about nathan than people not mentioning the case at all.

And I think if we are all honest with ourselves, it's likely that many of us are pained more deeply by the thought of an innocent, young child going missing in what is apparently a violent crime... than we are at the thought of two grown adults, who have more of a capacity to defend themselves, going missing...

Maybe I'm alone here, and maybe it's a horrible thing to say... but I am indeed affected more deeply by stories where children are the victims.

Doesn't mean I am not worried and hurting for the grandparents though…

I agree with this. I've even had the thought of why couldn't they have left Nathan in the house alone if they were going after AL and/or KL. It takes a special kind of criminal to after a child.

I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, please forgive me if it has. Has anyone investigated the possibility of any of the missing carrying some sort of life insurance policy?

I don't think that is a window cranker opening style casement window. I think it is simply a separate section of the window frame casement and is now missing that section of glass for whatever reason likely LE took it away. Reason for the two separate glass sections without a cranker open style window is often times the glass would be too large for the support of the glass. To me there is only one section of glass that opens and that is the right hand side of the front window. You can clearly see that the plastic casement around that area is larger than the left side section.
View attachment 54606 Without reflection and glass

View attachment 54607 With reflections and glass

The whole window pane issue is a bit fascinating. We've heard 'no signs of forced entry', and seen other pictures where that pane appears intact. But a 3 part window like that actually comes as one big assembly, so removing just one of the panes of glass can be a bit trick/messy as the worker doing it would have to separate the glass itself from a seal and frame, which is a process that can often make the glass break or cover it with debris. A safer removal would be to take the entire 3 piece window out. It would be much heavier and larger, but it would come out more easily and intact. I question the value of risking the breakage of a single glass panel for testing versus doing the testing in place. Lastly, why just 1 panel? If you have some fingerprints or suspected blood spots on one panel, you'd want to check the neighboring panel too.

We can see in the side angle photo that LE has already been hard at work with forensics from the fingerprint (?) or other material on the garage door itself and on what appears to be the access keypad.

It would be a bit strange to remove that glass pane and not cover it somehow. This time of year, a house with an unscreened open window could easily fill with bugs.

Chris Franklin @crisfran
Police contacted 3 landfills day after disappearance of 3 people asking for trash to be segregated. #yyc #cbc #amberalert

https://twitter.com/crisfran

I like to hear this. It shows there was a bit of foresight early in the investigation. Segregating the landfill means they can isolate items dumped/picked up after the disappearance. That helps the searchers plus helps establish better credibility for any evidence found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viki Cowan