Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, conditions for his release are pretty lenient....or not nearly as tight/restrictive as I thought they'd be. Wonder what's up with that? Doesn't even sound like, from the media tweets, that he has a confirmed residence set up. You would think this would have be already be in place before releasing him?

I wonder if there's any chance that RO and son AL attended court today because they support him and are there to show their support for some reason?

But his charges don't warrant stiffer conditions, IMO. The charges, as we know them, are not related to the missing person's case. I think these conditions fit the charges...and also give Police a chance to monitor his activity at the same time.

Im sure that LE will be watching him very closely while he is out on bail, MOO

Twitter
Daryl Slade

@heraldcourt

Douglas Garland can reside at hotel, motel, Mustard Seed, Drop-In centre Salvation Army Centre of Hope. Cannot leave Alberta w/o permission

Scary? Why? My husband has been in the oil business for 30 plus years. People who work in the oil industry are like any other workers....

... and like in any other industry you are going to have some who try to work the system. I retract my sweeping statement. I wasn't refering to all rough-necks. Just the scary ones.

If your husband has been in the biz for 30 years he is old school and probably as honest and hardworking as they come. I was referring to some of the younger guys. It's a well known that some of the guys who work up in the camps at Syncrude at Ft. Mac have been known to be heavily involved in drugs both as users and dealers. Some have went on to other things such as start-up or investments in oil and gas. This was especially true a few years ago.

Some of these kids made a LOT of money between 2003-2008 and it wasn't just from working in the camps.

Link:

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=cd92c68f-21d9-4009-986b-03ecc3d00144

Im sure that LE will be watching him very closely while he is out on bail, MOO
If DG isn't involved(the perp) in the disappearance but knows something of what may have happened, if I were him I would be a little scared as it probably won't just be the police and courts keeping tabs on him..... JMO

Twitter
Daryl Slade

@heraldcourt

Douglas Garland can reside at hotel, motel, Mustard Seed, Drop-In centre Salvation Army Centre of Hope. Cannot leave Alberta w/o permission

BBM whats a Mustard Seed when discussing a residential place to live

Wonder if the media will be hounding him.
So....he's got nothing to drive and nowhere to go.

Police and the judicial system have to be so careful...any signs of being unfair or not following due process or procedure could sabotage the whole investigation. Guilty people have been set free because of process not followed.

It's important for them not to make decisions based on emotion...I think they have the best case scenario here. When someone is out on bail and have conditions, police have the discretion of checking in on that person at any time. For DG, these conditions may eventually get to him...being holed up in a shelter or motel is a far cry from the reclusive life he lived in farm country. It may wear him down if he in fact is withholding any information.

Twitter
Daryl Slade

@heraldcourt

Only the hotel and motel will allow him to hole up and not go outside. If he goes to a shelter, he will be out on the street during the day.

Morning all. Just read Garland is out.

Has there been any pictures or video of him today? Was he wearing glasses! Thank you !!

ETA: Found today's sketch. he has his glasses. Posted it further down.

How odd that DG would say he needs to work past 9:00 on the farm, when it was made clear he will not be returning to the farm. I would love to know the state of his mental capacity. Is it possible he sampled too much of his own product and isn't "all there" anymore? I sure hope he isn't an easy scapegoat for this whole thing.

How odd that DG would say he needs to work past 9:00 on the farm, when it was made clear he will not be returning to the farm. I would love to know the state of his mental capacity. Is it possible he sampled too much of his own product and isn't "all there" anymore? I sure hope he isn't an easy scapegoat for this whole thing.

Who knows. Maybe he is thinking of when the police are done with the search and have released the property. LE can't search forever.

Has anyone seen a photo of the "Green Truck" that was seized at the Garland property, i would like to compare it to the released photo of the Green Truck on July 4

There is video footage of DG's green truck parked at the farm in a Global National newscast, reported by Francis Silvaggio back a few days ago. I did post it on here, I'll see if I can locate my post.

The fact that various homeless shelters have been suggested as an "address" for the person of interest, I think we can assume that he does not have any money. I mentioned earlier that it took 4-5 days before the person of interest had a lawyer. That could be due to making arrangements through Legal Aid.

It appears that he is broke and was reliant on his parents for his needs (shelter, food, etc.). If there was a business arrangement with Alvin, and Alvin was set to retire comfortably on the beach in Mexico, while Garland is penniless, I could see that as a clear motive in this disappearance. Garland may have decided that if he gets nothing for the work he did, then Alvin should get nothing for the work he did ... not that it's a rational thought, but it could be what Garland was thinking.

I'm also thinking that perhaps Garland confronted Alvin at the end of the garage sale and demanded money from the proceeds. Perhaps Alvin said that the money was already deposited in the bank, but that they could go together to the bank to withdraw some. That would get Alvin and Garland in a truck together. Perhaps Alvin had a max withdrawal limit ... something like $500 or $1000, and that wasn't enough. I wonder what the forensics in Alvin's truck have revealed.

That's true! I just had this funny feeling this morning. Did anyone see that movie "Prisoners" where they were so sure it was the strange guy and it wasn't him at all?
I just hope and pray there is some sort of resolution for this poor family...and soon!!!

Police and the judicial system have to be so careful...any signs of being unfair or not following due process or procedure could sabotage the whole investigation. Guilty people have been set free because of process not followed.

It's important for them not to make decisions based on emotion...I think they have the best case scenario here. When someone is out on bail and have conditions, police have the discretion of checking in on that person at any time. For DG, these conditions may eventually get to him...being holed up in a shelter or motel is a far cry from the reclusive life he lived in farm country. It may wear him down if he in fact is withholding any information.

True enough. And upon more thought, *if* he is not in any way related to the disappearances/has somehow been set-up by someone, I actually feel sorry for him. It would be very difficult for anyone to have to suddenly go from living an isolated, reclusive lifestyle in the country to having to live in the city...perhaps even a noisy shelter (at night), have no vehicle, and perhaps no money to even stay in a hotel? If his parents paid him to upkeep their property (it did look pretty well kept up and doubtful at their age that they were able to do so), he'd now have no source of work/income. If for some reason he's not involved at all, I feel sorry for him as he will surely now feel very alone and out of his element, and likely fearful about interactions with the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaus28