Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet............at the first presser where JO and RO and JL (the L's son) spoke, the son JL (when asked point blank by a reporter to if it was true his parents either had properties in both Edmonton and Mexico..........and JL did very clearly state they had BOUGHT a home in Edmonton, that's where they'd be moving from Calgary to...........and that they'd spend some time in Mexico (he wasn't sure for how long) and then return back to Edmonton. I've said it before and I'll say it again..............there was something "off" with the way JL answered this question. It was like he was caught off guard with the question or wasn't sure how to answer it.

IMO we have no idea whether they really DID buy a property in Edmonton or elsewhere.

I still can't get out of my head, the day after they went missing, the media interviewing various neighbors and them giving different responses as to where KL said they'd be moving to..........1) Edmonton.....2) Mexico.....3) Northern AB I remember thinking at the time, sounds to me like people who either don't have a real plan or they don't want anyone to know where they're really moving to, for some reason.............all IMO.

I caught that too.

Given the menagerie of business ventures and financial 'snakes n ladders' allegedly engaged in by AL, I wonder if there may have been a pattern of not necessarily lying, but deliberate disinformation shared by AL/KL with their children and extended family. AL & KL may have told their friends/family that property was purchased. That doesn't mean JL necessarily believed it to be true, hence the odd response.

re: 904

RCMP may seize evidence from anyone, suspect, POI, victim, witness, etc. If the person in possession voluntarily provides the evidence - easy peasy. If not, a warrant may be required. Then there is the much debated 'reasonable grounds' clause which permits RCMP or other LE to acquire evidence without a warrant .

Yes as long as they have a search warrant specifically to do so. I would imagine they would have had the judge sign a broad warrant for the house and property and his truck and all contents including electronic devices found within the house or maybe even his truck. MOO.

That is the problem with reporting - lots of contradictions made by press.

It was $750. CASH. I wonder where Garland found even that amount? If he has to have access to a land line, then I can't see him staying at shelters, unless special arrangements have been made just for him. As I said, these places are not open 24/7. They line up at nite to sign up for a bed, and are kicked out in the a.m. No frills - just a mat on the floor.
So - there would not be a regular access to a landline phone.

Therefore something tells me that he would of had to be put up in a hotel/motel or some other type of housing - and not shelters. He would need transportation to his doctor's office and the courts - so.......in order to meet this criteria as set out in the courts - he is probably being relatively well cared for - somewhere.

Dermot who set up the Calgary drop in center from his own pocket, later developed a massive building that is anti-shelter. good meals, hang-out facilities, medical and psych staff on sight, et al, it's quite the place. the mustard seed is much the same and there are places that you can feel at home while homeless. great organisations imo.

DG being a POI (as opposed to Suspect), can the police take his computer to see his files and Internet activities? If yes, wonder if they did that.

I am sure they can, where did he obtain the credit card from, we are all fragile when it comes to this kind of theft.

Interesting that he still used the Lads ID even though he was charged with doing so in 1999, one would have thought he would have broadened his horizons since he was charged with using his ID and still continued to do so...

Does anyone here feel like this crime was likely committed by a random person who saw the estate sale ad on kijiji? (And then subsequently attended the sale and cases the place?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I caught that too.

Given the menagerie of business ventures and financial 'snakes n ladders' allegedly engaged in by AL, I wonder if there may have been a pattern of not necessarily lying, but deliberate disinformation shared by AL/KL with their children and extended family. AL & KL may have told their friends/family that property was purchased. That doesn't mean JL necessarily believed it to be true, hence the odd response.

re: 904

RCMP may seize evidence from anyone, suspect, POI, victim, witness, etc. If the person in possession voluntarily provides the evidence - easy peasy. If not, a warrant may be required. Then there is the much debated 'reasonable grounds' clause which permits RCMP or other LE to acquire evidence without a warrant .
I am glad you posted this. I was wondering, wouldn't you think a son or daughter would honestly know where they were moving to? If my mom or dad were selling all their stuff I most certainly would know the date that they were moving and exactly their address of where they were moving to so I could go visit. If they bought a house I would want to know all about it, bungalow, two story, lots of yard, little yard. I would want to know everything because after all if they are getting older how will they maintain it??

Does anyone here feel like this crime was likely committed by a random person who saw the estate sale ad on kijiji? (And then subsequently attended the sale and cases the place?)

Could be.

I love the "ignore" feature!

But if you use ignore the whole idea of free thinking with crowd sourcing ideas loses continuity,, i.e., someone who you have on ignore may post something (that you wont see) and your sleuthing neurons might not get to fire right and a great theory by you might be missed that is helpful to all.

I don't know how puzzle apps/games work on FB, but on KL's profile she has all those puzzle game updates showing. I find it weird that 1 of KL's FB friends 'liked' her puzzle game from/on July 8th and another of KL's FB friend commented a 'hi and hello' type comment under the puzzle yesterday at 10:25pm. How could these 2 people *not* know what's happening with all the media attention? Is it just me - or is this a little in bad taste (or strange) to do if your FB friend is missing? Kinda weird…..Maybe these are FB friends aren't 'real' friends and stranger-type internet friends or something. I hope I didn't break any WS rules with this post, I'm still fairly new!

DG being a POI (as opposed to Suspect), can the police take his computer to see his files and Internet activities? If yes, wonder if they did that.

I doubt it. They would need a warrant and have nothing on him. I have a feeling there are alot of parties involved in this mystery.

Does anyone know off hand if there was a door on the side of the garage? Is there a door leading from inside the house to the garage? Isn't it the side of the house where the trail went from and down to the road? Did someone come by during the sale and purchase something and they moved it to the garage for pick up later and then when they arrived, AL went outside to open the garage side door to open up the big garage door and this may have been where he was attacked?

I'm heartbroken for the victims families. I hope this case gets solved very soon and the victims come home to their loved one. Must be total hell for all of them not knowing where they are, what a nightmare. I hope LE don't have blinders on just because DG has a shady and criminal past. MOO.

Nope :(

If there was a violent struggle and DG was involved, I would expect him to have some type of injury. A couple of scratches , scraped or bruised knuckles, broken or torn fingernails, a bruise, maybe some pulled hair ?

If they were shot, wouldn't the neighbors heard the shot(s)? The houses are so close together…. but anything is possible :(

No. IMO, no one was shot. Too easy. A struggle with blunt objects I can see more happening.

The green truck was caught by the video to be in the area several times. They should have time stamp. What was the time when it appeared each time? The investigators should know, but if they do they also should make it public, isn't it?

Initially I thought this was a perhaps a person of desperation, however let's face it what $ could this "Estate Sale" bring in. To me and I am not from Calgary however have relatives there, it seems to be a fairly basic f"Garage Sale" where Folks are moving on...not a lot of money would have heeded from the sale not enough for 3 people to go missing. JMO

Initially I thought this was a perhaps a person of desperation, however let's face it what $ could this "Estate Sale" bring in. To me and I am not from Calgary however have relatives there, it seems to be a fairly basic f"Garage Sale" where Folks are moving on...not a lot of money would have heeded from the sale not enough for 3 people to go missing. JMO

I agree. This was likely a personal vendetta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member