Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep being drawn back to the very initial communications on day 1 of this "Amber Alert". At the time, nobody - not us or LE - would have guessed we'd be at this stage 2 weeks later.

As such, the early communications and assumptions are kind of interesting. Not necessarily *accurate*, but still interesting.

IIRC, the initial messaging was they weren't sure if anything happened at the house, but the public should be looking for the child, possibly in the company of his grandfather.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I remember the beginnings of the Amber Alert. The grandmother was conspicuously less emphasized.

Why?

Lol I know, I just kind of added that in there and probably should not have.

Still you are right that not leaving the Remand Center could mean something. I just have a feeling a lot of junior reporters are cranky right now since they would have been dispatched there yesterday morning to try and observe/photograph/interview DG upon his release. They've just spent 16 fruitless hours waiting for nothing and kissed part of their weekend goodbye.

Regarding DG's lawyer, I'm thinking at this point DG won't be doing any questions and answers with LE. As for press interviews in which a wrongly accused person might instinctively want to speak out and clear their name, I'm doubtful of that also. Given DG's social issues, he probably wouldn't come off that well. And considering his checkered past, he doesn't really have a clean cut family man image to try and uphold either. He knows as an ex-con he's not well-regarded at the best of times. I could be wrong, maybe DG has some reason, some leverage, some compulsion - you never know.

His lawyer wasn't exactly doing much to downplay suspicions either:
"Right now, all he's in for is the identity theft and the credit-card charges and that's all we're dealing with right now"
http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1093611/calgary-court-grants-douglas-garland-bail/

If Psychic Kim knows all, why doesn't she just pick up the phone to Calgary Police Service and give them the solution so we can wrap this up by tomorrow. Or a better question is why didn't she notify the family and warn them not to leave their child there on the fateful night? Why doesn't she collect all lottery prizes globally and use the money to cure malaria? Nuff said.

I think psychics are not even suppose to be suggested for use on Websleuths or maybe your not suppose to post anything you find that they have said about a case. Either way IMO probably not a good idea to go down that path anyway lol

Good morning from here on the East Coast...Nathan and his family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Read this article from the Calgary Herald this morning:

"Courtroom waiting game a cold, hard reality for family members
"

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...ily+members/10022733/story.html?__federated=1

A quote from the article, in reference to DG:

When the frail looking, balding man comes into view, he almost crashes into the camera lens. It’s more a bumbling than a threatening stance, though, as the bespectacled prisoner in blue coveralls appears to be struggling to see.

Still you are right that not leaving the Remand Center could mean something. I just have a feeling a lot of junior reporters are cranky right now since they would have been dispatched there yesterday morning to try and observe/photograph/interview DG upon his release. They've just spent 16 fruitless hours waiting for nothing and kissed part of their weekend goodbye.

Lol kind of makes you wonder how long media will stick around. They probably put themselves on shift work now.

This theory has been bugging me for a while so I thought I would put it out there....What if....only 1 person is missing from the home? We are all working on the theory that 3 people have been "disappeared" by someone. How thorough a search did LE do of crawl spaces, attics. basements etc. Not implying at all that they haven't done a thorough job, but from the outset it looked as the 3 people from the home were not there so their focus was on that. DG as has been reported has an involved history with drugs. Has it been verified that KL and NO haven't been drugged and tied up/bound somewhere in the actual house. If I was JO I would be checking every cupboard and space big enough in that house. It would make more sense that someone would be able to move 1 person easily as opposed to 3. It just doesn't seem reasonable that 1 of the adults could be wounded so badly that it was obvious in the house and then not one single person here crying, sobbing or screaming from a child.

Good morning from here on the East Coast...Nathan and his family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Read this article from the Calgary Herald this morning:

"Courtroom waiting game a cold, hard reality for family members
"

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...ily+members/10022733/story.html?__federated=1

A quote from the article, in reference to DG:

When the frail looking, balding man comes into view, he almost crashes into the camera lens. It’s more a bumbling than a threatening stance, though, as the bespectacled prisoner in blue coveralls appears to be struggling to see.

As I said in my last post #949, everything this man does is calculating. He wants to start setting things up on his behalf. Ok so he is making it seem like he can't see with or without glasses, BUT he can drive and the most amazing thing is that farm looks amazing, that he seems to take care of for his 80 yrs old parents. Anybody can make themselves look a little frail. I wouldn't think he would be keeping a farm looking that great if he was weak and blind. Also if DG is using his illegal drug of choice that he use to make, that would give him enough strength and energy to commit this crime. Don't feel sorry for him, he is a mastermind! IMO

As I said in my last post #949, everything this man does is calculating. He wants to start setting things up on his behalf. Ok so he is making it seem like he can't see with or without glasses, BUT he can drive and the most amazing thing is that farm looks amazing, that he seems to take care of for his 80 yrs old parents. Don't feel sorry for him, he is a mastermind! IMO
We saw an earlier sketch with no glasses, some media have reported him "squinting", he told the judge he has bad eyesight, then a later sketch shows him with glasses. Could be he didn't have his glasses and now he does?

Decided to re-read thread #1 and jotted down a few noteworthy points from the first 24 hours of this incident...

The disappearance of the 3 "may be suspicious"

no custody issues

grandparents' vehicles accounted for

no police history with the family

The Homicide Unit is leading the investigation, which is not uncommon in a missing person's case.

"She comes back at 10 this morning, notably sees that the house is not normally as it is and there's other things within the house that would lead us to believe that they did not leave on their own volition"

"the grandparents, 66-year-old Alvin Cecil Liknes and Kathryn Faye Liknes, 53, are not suspects."

after speaking with neighbours, there was an "Estate Sale" at the house yesterday.

WS user Weebles: "I was watching the local news as well and the medical examiner was at the house."

Police also called the medical examiner early in the evening — though details as to the medical examiner’s involvement in the investigation was not divulged, police did say that it was not due to the discovery of a body or bodies

WS user Yoda: "Brother stops by Monday when no one answers the phone. Is that usual?"

WS user Snoopster: "The grandfather, Alvin Liknes, is President of Vecto Resource Services Ltd. I searched the company...but not much comes up. Kathryn Liknes, the grandmother, appears to be a real estate agent as well as running a digital marketing (SEO) company."

Ws user Hulamum: " Last night was cool and very windy here in Calgary though. In my part of the city we had drizzle through the early evening and then just this unrelenting wind blowing 40km/hr. until midnight at least (one of the rare nights I had to shut all the upstairs windows as the wind was just whipping through the house)."

Ws user Fedeyks: "kijiji ad for a green leather couch"....... "We r moving out of province"

WS user Wondergirl: "I am finding alot of patents tied to Alvin Liknes and the Alberta oil and gas industry."

WS user Otto: "The medical examiner would be there if there was blood at the scene."

WS user LayzeeDayzee: "From 10pm to 10am is a pretty narrow window of time. Surely some neighbor had to have heard or seen something.....a noise, something loud that woke them up at a certain time (even if they weren't sure what it was), a vehicle door shut, a car starting, headlights, lights turned on in the house, something. Sunrise in Calgary @ this time of year is 5:25am so IMO whatever happened to them happened between midnight and 5am."

WS user Wondergirl: "Wording is odd in this early news release: Nathan may be in the company of his grandfather Alvin Liknes, a white male, 6 feet tall, 200 lbs with grey and blond hair, black shorts. http://www.inews880.com/2014/06/30/ambert-alert-for-missing-calgary-boy/

WS user Otto: "Those houses have security systems so there should be surveillance video."

One of the earliest statements from the police:

"We're still very optimistic that they're alive and we're doing everything we can to locate them," Insp. Keith Cain said.

In order for an Amber Alert to be issued, there must be "reason to believe the victim is in danger of serious harm or death."

"Given that this is completely out of nature for the grandparents, we look at it and say, 'do we have a reason to fear that foul play is involved here?'" Cain said. "The answer to that question is, obviously, 'yes.' "

Investigators are looking into whether the disappearances are linked to the estate sale, and want to speak to anyone who visited the house over the weekend.

"The bottom line is, we're going to need the assistance of the public," Cain said. "Hopefully somebody remembers something from the weekend or from Monday, maybe they heard something.

"We have a big mystery on our hands right now,"

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...+even+fathom+disappearance/9989542/story.html

As I said in my last post #949, everything this man does is calculating. He wants to start setting things up on his behalf. Ok so he is making it seem like he can't see with or without glasses, BUT he can drive and the most amazing thing is that farm looks amazing, that he seems to take care of for his 80 yrs old parents. Anybody can make themselves look a little frail. I wouldn't think he would be keeping a farm looking that great if he was weak and blind. Don't feel sorry for him, he is a mastermind! IMO

I'm not feeling sorry for him. I'm more interested in the facts of the case than going on pure speculation and personal judgement and emotions.

Frail is a physical attribute...that's what the reporter saw in terms of his size. He wasn't described as a stocky man in good physical shape. My point is that the reporters observations concur with my theory that if there was a physical altercation and people removed against their will, I'm not convinced he is the guy or the only guy.

I have no way of knowing if everything DG does is calculating...we can assume but all I know are the facts of his past brush with the law.

Personally, I find there is so much speculation swirling this case, it's hard to sift through the facts....which is what I'm interested in and hope the Police don't pigeon hole themselves so much in one theory, other possibilities get overlooked. I'm sure their investigative expertise will prevent that from happening.

I completely agree with Oceangirl. I don't think anyone's sympathy lays with anyone more than Noah's loved ones ... what's being expressed for DG isn't sympathy, it's doubt and confusion! He hasn't even been 'arrested on suspicion of' related to the disappearance! Yet some people are very quick to make 2 + 2 = 100 ...

No, that means it's especially rare because it's right next door to another rare green truck. :drumroll:

Someone posted way up thread, that they thought the trucks were something like County trucks, many years ago, (from a fleet). (my words).

Personally, I think LE has plenty of undisclosed evidence that DG is the main or only person involved in this crime, which I believe is sadly a triple homicide.
I believe that LE is dragging their feet about charging DG until they have found the bodies.
Jmo

Does anyone know off hand if there was a door on the side of the garage? Is there a door leading from inside the house to the garage? Isn't it the side of the house where the trail went from and down to the road? Did someone come by during the sale and purchase something and they moved it to the garage for pick up later and then when they arrived, AL went outside to open the garage side door to open up the big garage door and this may have been where he was attacked?

I'm heartbroken for the victims families. I hope this case gets solved very soon and the victims come home to their loved one. Must be total hell for all of them not knowing where they are, what a nightmare. I hope LE don't have blinders on just because DG has a shady and criminal past. MOO.

Something just popped in my head after reading your post.
What if there was an accident. Someone came to pick up something and did just that backed into the driveway and hit someone or pinned them to the garage ? And they panicked , get out and drag the person INSIDE not out, once in the house the freak out and mess stuff about ... I know it doesn't all make sense but just because we see drag marks doesn't mean they were to take someone outside. Once inside you might THEN wrap them in a blanket / shower curtain / whatever and eventually decide to take them back out and away. ( or you drag them inside somewhere and leave them a few minutes while you run outside and hazily try to clean up - then come back in and start to freak and wake up the other two - likely grandma and NO. ) They would have to go with you as they were now witnesses.
I know , full of holes but something to consider...

Personally, I think LE has plenty of undisclosed evidence that DG is the main or only person involved in this crime, which I believe is sadly a triple homicide.
I believe that LE is dragging their feet about charging DG until they have found the bodies.
Jmo
I'm in the UK and I know maybe our law system is different but ... if your LE had SO much on DG wouldn't they be holding him for questioning relating to the disappearance?

I can't help going back to a kidnapping scenario, of all three, with a ransom we don't know about. Perhaps by persons connected to DG, involving DG as the go-to guy because of his logistical skills.
I know it's been suggested that the old fashioned ransom wouldn't be in play today because of tracking systems, etc of the money. But clever professionals know all about money laundering and have their own systems in place.
The families were able to come up with $100,000 early on as a potential reward for information, and it appears that there are family members that own very lucrative businesses.
It's quite possible that someone or a number of people want what they feel is owing to them.
At Thursday's vigil, JO very calmly, with a lot of grace and finesse, stated she hoped "whoever has him is giving him food and water".

Can someone point me to the post of the original drag pics plz. Not the color enhanced ones. Thx
Found them .

So true! Kind of crazy how one tip ends up really kind of cracking the case too! (ie the man who reported the perps had also come to view HIS truck for sale, was so observant to notice that wrist tattoo, and from there it went). Now they not only had an eye witness to who Bosma drove off with, but they could show HER photos of the suspects, rather than counting on her description. If not for that tattoo clue to lead them in that direction to begin with, her eye witness account would likely have been rather meaningless, considering that it could have been virtually anyone, and not even a vehicle to go along with her description. I hope that anyone with any small, perhaps seemingly irrelevant info, is contacting CPS!

That sounds possible. I remember in the Tim Bosma case there was a discussion on here about how lucky his wife was that they didn't come back for her because she had seen the perps and they knew she was home alone that evening and vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honestyhastoprevail