Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lease was not over until the end of July. They still had a month to do clean up and removal of "junk".

Are you sure Tarika? Is there a link that tells us end of July? I feel certain I read they were leasing back for 6 months which would mean they had to be out by July 1. This issue is quite germane all things considered so if you do have the info, that would be great.

FYI Not that I think the ad is that important but the Buyandsell site is legit. It used to be in paper form, come out every Wednesday and is very old school pre-dating kijiji, craigslist.

It's irrelevant, but I don't think the buyandsell247 site is in any way associated with the old Buy & Sell newspaper... the former newspaper's site is buyselltrade.ca. They also own autotrader which is still in print...

Don't miss the supermoon tonight. The full moon will appear 14% larger than usual.

What shady characters do the Garlands know? Douglas Garland used the identity of a deceased child (that he probably heard about through his community) to avoid jail time after a meth lab conviction. I'm not aware of any shady characters. The only odd thing is that he too has a website for a company that doesn't seem to exist. There are claims for more than a million US in business, but there is no business and if Garland is looking to homeless shelters for an address, then he is broke. That is something that he has in common with the victim.

We can't sleuth family so mods please snip if I've overstepped; DG cooked meth, probably for Hells Angels or the Grim Reapers in Calgary (much shadiness). DG's sister was shot by a guy trying to get away from crime and shot her over crime money. So after that, who in the L family found there way to the Garlands or vice versa? Did AL know some shady folk, because DG doesn't strike one as an outgoing bar-fly.

Thanks for this. I had thought the house that was a lot taller caught the truck several times on cctv in the hood? 3 doors away facing the L's house on the right side, sorry can't find the link.
I own a 2002 F150 mint so I know what you mean.

Looking at the POI I can see he would have a mint F150...JMO...

Thanks for this. I had thought the house that was a lot taller caught the truck several times on cctv in the hood? 3 doors away facing the L's house on the right side, sorry can't find the link.

House on the left

The medical examiner is the person that works for the police to collect evidence when there appears to be violence and blood loss ... to make a determination of death.
In Alberta the Medical Examiner must investigate any death that is unexpected. If the scene was such that a death may have occurred it makes sense that the ME would have been involved.

CTV Calgary News 11:30pm
-Garland out on Bail living somewhere in Calgary

I wonder if LE checked phone records to see if indeed brother had been trying to call? And it is nagging at me also, that there has been zero mention (that I have heard/read) regarding any of these missing persons' cell phones.. haven't been mentioned once by LE.. you would think there would be SOME kind of mention, like .. they were turned off, or whatever?? So many missing 'normal' pieces to this story. Both AL and KL were in business for themselves and would undoubtedly have had cell phones. Cellphones have GPS.. yet no mention.. too weird! And yes, what a coincidence that brother shows up in the midst, and only because AL did not answer his phone? How far away does bro live??

Like many others, I've been following this case every moment I can...some great theories and lots of great questions...but the one question that nags at me is...the morning that JO went to pick up NO from grandparents house, something made her call the police when she entered...and a few hours later AL's brother shows up because he was concerned AL hadn't answered his phone...my question is...why wasn't somebody calling every family member they could think of to ask if they'd seen AL or KL...maybe its not important but it just bothers me!!!!

Yes, I wonder if bringing the ME was simply to comment on the quantity of blood (if from one person?), and what that may mean in terms of ability to live? Something a sample or a lab would not be able to determine.

I agree with your suggestion - ME was there to comment on the quantity of blood. Could be he was there also in case a body was found somewhere close to the house. ME probably was the one to establish the fact that someone was likely in medical distess.

I wonder if it goes over some people's heads, how much it can potentially affect other companies if one company goes belly up? Bankruptcies nowadays seem so widespread and commonplace. A contractor may have caught wind of a corporate bankruptcy coming down, and may have had contact with someone within the company who may have told him that they were clearing out and last day's work was June 25th, which may have prompted said contractor to do a bit more research, and yes, found the ads for a moving sale... came to the house to see what's going on with that and ask about the personal guarantee that *may* have been signed.. ugh.. hate to think.

On the other hand, wouldn't it seem too careless and even risky to advertise their estate sale so publicly, if they don't want to give the impression that they were going to be gone "for good" (so to speak)?

CTV Calgary News 11:30pm
-Garland out on Bail living somewhere in Calgary

It looks like the Mustard Seed, a program for helping the homeless rebuild their lives, has recently completed an apartment building. That would be a safe place for someone like Douglas Garland.

Except.... when you think about it.. say you are going to go bankrupt and lose everything, but of course, you don't want to, and although it is fraudulent, you have a friend who is willing to put on paper that he is purchasing your home for x amount of money, enough to say, clear the mortgage (if any), however in reality, purchaser-friend is actually paying Y amount for the home, and sending the excess to some other trusted name. It is really convoluted, but what lengths will people go to in order to protect their assets? It would mean a few involved parties, which isn't good, but at least something to investigate/research for LE?

Except for all the money they received from selling the house would be an asset, and a very liquid one at that...

It would if it was public, but being a private sale... it wasn't listed on the open market.. it could have looked to sell for only what was owing.

But wouldn't that be applied to the bankruptcy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if LE checked phone records to see if indeed brother had been trying to call? And it is nagging at me also, that there has been zero mention (that I have heard/read) regarding any of these missing persons' cell phones.. haven't been mentioned once by LE.. you would think there would be SOME kind of mention, like .. they were turned off, or whatever?? So many missing 'normal' pieces to this story. Both AL and KL were in business for themselves and would undoubtedly have had cell phones. Cellphones have GPS.. yet no mention.. too weird! And yes, what a coincidence that brother shows up in the midst, and only because AL did not answer his phone? How far away does bro live??

Something about this doesn't make sense. If the missing 3 left the house not of their own accord as the police say, whoever took them must have taken their cell phones as well. If AL's brother tried to call him on his cell, there would be no answer. If the cell phone was at the house, the police would have answered it. If I'm trying to get ahold of someone and they don't answer their cell, then I would call their house. If AL's brother couldn't reach him on his cell, wouldn't you think he would have called the house? If so, the police would have answered. The brothers story just doesn't sound right to me.

Except.... when you think about it.. say you are going to go bankrupt and lose everything, but of course, you don't want to, and although it is fraudulent, you have a friend who is willing to put on paper that he is purchasing your home for x amount of money, enough to say, clear the mortgage (if any), however in reality, purchaser-friend is actually paying Y amount for the home, and sending the excess to some other trusted name. It is really convoluted, but what lengths will people go to in order to protect their assets? It would mean a few involved parties, which isn't good, but at least something to investigate/research for LE?

I would hope that there was no mortgage. The couple owned the house 17 years ago, so 1997. The house market went nuts in 1999 where prices started jumping by the tens of thousands overnight. Seventeen years later, the property has tripled in value. However, some people borrow against their home. If this couple had borrowed against their home, wouldn't they have let the bank take the loss ... if they were liquidating, shutting down shop, and leaving the country? Somehow, selling the house with the intent of repaying the bank doesn't line up with bankruptcies in businesses. I'm guessing mortgage free.

Screenshots and rumors are not allowed.

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members