Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality is that LE have obtained enough evidence to support the charges.

Remember the cadaver dog at the Airdrie acreage? That dog sat and they marked where he sat. There obviously was not a body present but dogs will note scent and these dogs have been trained to indicate when they scent what they are supposed to scent. We don't know where else those dogs were taken. Perhaps in the house. Perhaps in sheds, perhaps perhaps. Maybe even in the green truck. We don't know and we won't know now until trial.

Remember Caylee Anthony? Cadaver dogs indicated scent in the trunk of the car. They knew Caylee was dead.

This is strictly MOO.

Unfortunately, based on the evidence that the police were seeing, I believe they knew early on that they weren't going to have a happy ending. The medical examiner at the house, cadaver dogs at the Airdrie acreage, scouring through dumps, RO at every court appearance. I never thought they were looking for weapons. I always believed they were searching for bodies and I believe that the family knew that as well. They were so devastated so early on. There were no family pleas for NO - the police handled it all. Thre were no volunteer searchers. I believe the police knew and had to keep all the volunteers out and only use LE to search because they knew what they were searching for.

The clues were there that this was going to be the outcome. JO's comment about NO being in Grandma's arms. RO's comment about NO's soul. I think they knew.

Folks, once the arrested party is charged and we hear his name, that's going to be the last bit of information we get relating to this heinous crime, until they find the bodies.

I hope I haven't overstepped anything here. My heart is broken for this family. I keep seeing NO's little face. Such a beautiful child.

It is terrible that this occurred but I have to wonder how someone could kill a child for just "being there". So deeply sad.

Great post, Tealgrove.

BBM: No volunteer searches. You are so right. Totally lacking in this case.

Hoping LE has enough to put the away forever. Totally senseless crime, and the poor baby, my God.

Okay so do any of you think its likely that LE could offer the person in arrest a deal, like if he tells them where the remains are then they cut him slack on his sentencing?

I live in Calgary right now but I'm American, so I'm not sure of the law here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that due to the blood, and whatever else was at the crime scene, the Family new very early on that this was not going to have any other ending. Looking back, it explains the lack of speaking out as a Family, and some of the words that were spoken, and the tense that was used. The pain in their faces when they were 'expected' to be public told the story at each appearance.
Dear Lord these are the times I question my faith.

I've been reading all the threads, just haven't put in my 2 cents yet. Just a little confused about something...
We know that DG was re-arrested, but am I missing something?? I thought I saw that he checked out of the hotel this morning, but LE is saying suspect was arrested at 130am. Are we 100% sure that there wasn't someone else??
All along I was blown away when they released DG, and the bail was ridiculously low...I was hoping that they did this in hopes that maybe DG would screw up lead them to some evidence.
If in fact it was DG this morning near his farm being arrested, maybe he had something buried there and was going to see if LE had found it?
I am heartbroken about today's news :(

Leaving the hotel with no intention/ability of coming back is the same as checking out.

It doesn't sound as if DG was expecting to find Nathan at the house, but had planned on killing the grandparents and it's truly unfortunate and very sad that Nathan was staying overnight, and probably woke up to the commotion taking place, and was killed so that he couldn't identify him.

If there was even a chance, that DG went to the house and was let in by the homeowners to have a discussion, and things escalated to where violence took place, then I don't think first degree murder charges would have been laid, as there would have been no evidence of premeditation.

I believe that DG circled the area until he saw the lights in the bedroom go off, and gave them time to fall asleep, so he could attack them in their bed, so they had no chance to overpower him or phone for help. I don't know how he gained entrance, but I guess that's not too important now.

This is a very sick individual, but I hope he does not escape justice by reason of insanity.

I have to say, if there is a deal I will be sick.

I think that the Homolka deal soured the Canadian judicial system of plea deals in exchange for evidence (especially when evidence can pop up later - like the tapes)

At the risk of looking dumb later, I'll say right now I'm nervous about the evidence in this case. The police chief was heavily emphasizing no smoking gun, no bodies, no one tip, no single lead, etc.

Those are the hallmarks of an almost entirely circumstantial case.

Before anyone reacts to this statement, we all should realize that plenty of guilty people are charged in circumstantial cases, but convictions are much harder to win.

It's entirely possible more evidence, statements, tips, confessions, will materialize. But reading into the the events and statements of today, this will be a challenging case.

WE HAVE THREE VICTIMS HERE FOLKS!!!!! Plus the extended victims being their family and loved ones!!

Now is NOT the time for bashing a parent for leaving a child with their grandparent, nor is it the time to say the VICTIMS knew they were in trouble, etc. STOP IT!!! JUST STOP IT NOW!!!!

I'm not a mod, but this is beyond being helpful. WE DO NOT VICTIM BASH, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

My gosh, this family has just been told very devastating news. Have some respect for them, and the victims!!!

I know we're all upset to hear the latest. It's not what any of us wanted to ever hear!!! Emotions are high, but please... think about these families!!!!

This guy is an evil genius. I doubt he will plead guilty or bargain. JMO

Was he "better off" in his own bed? Of course! Kids need routine and structure. I'm a strict mom too, especially with bedtime and knowing my kids' limitations with long days.

HOWEVER, I think this was just a single circumstance where, because the L's were moving, NO's parents made the (perhaps never before made) decision to let him stay. It could have been fun with furniture out and a tent up or something!

Otto- your posts are ALWAYS really great- I have to agree to disagree with you here :)

The thanks button wasn't enough J1981. A GREAT example of playing well with others in the sandbox. :tyou:

Shortly after the news conference, Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi issued the following statement:

I, like all Calgarians, am terribly saddened to learn about the murder charges that were laid today related to the missing persons investigation in our community. My heart goes out to the Liknes and O’Brien families, and I know that they will continue to have the support they need from all of us at this very difficult time. My thanks go to my colleagues at the Calgary Police Service and the women and men of the RCMP for their hard work on this investigation.”

http://www.newstalk770.com/2014/07/14/mayor-nenshi-responds-to-missing-persons-charges/

We all knew that DG was re-arrested, so if he IS the suspect then why protect his identity?? As well, DG has that high profile criminal defense lawyer... I don't see any plea bargains being made right now. I see a publicity ban in the very near future and we will all meet back here again in a few more years!! Horrible :(

Okay so do any of you think its likely that LE could offer the person in arrest a deal, like if he tells them where the remains are then they cut him slack on his sentencing?

I live in Calgary right now but I'm American, so I'm not sure of the law here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how things work in Canada. Typically I am against a plea deal. IF we get closer to a trial and Lord forbid the family still haven't been found, then I think the surviving family should have a say in whether they want a plea or not. I don't know the legalese about any of it. I'm not even sure how I would feel if I were family. I just don't know.

I think if the facts lead to the arrest, and there is no doubt about the arrest for murder, then ALL murderers should have to say where the body is as part of their sentencing. Whether it lessens the sentencing or not, the surviving family should have the right to lay their loved one in respect. A proper burial as such. But sometimes that's not possible.

I don't even know what I'm saying...

We all knew that DG was re-arrested, so if he IS the suspect then why protect his identity?? As well, DG has that high profile criminal defense lawyer... I don't see any plea bargains being made right now. I see a publicity ban in the very near future and we will all meet back here again in a few more years!! Horrible :(

Does it usually take years for a trial then? How awful. As soon as the wounds start heal, they'll be ripped open again. :(

At the risk of looking dumb later, I'll say right now I'm nervous about the evidence in this case. The police chief was heavily emphasizing no smoking gun, no bodies, no one tip, no single lead, etc.

Those are the hallmarks of an almost entirely circumstantial case.

Before anyone reacts to this statement, we all should realize that plenty of guilty people are charged in circumstantial cases, but convictions are much harder to win.

It's entirely possible more evidence, statements, tips, confessions, will materialize. But reading into the the events and statements of today, this will be a challenging case.

I'm not terribly worried.

If the person who was arrested in connection with this crime, had broken bail conditions, then LE could have arrested him for that and nothing more. They could have just put him back in jail. They didn't HAVE TO charge him with 3 counts of murder. I suspect that their evidence is VERY strong because they didn't have to tip their hand yet. They have been searching for two weeks. I'm going to guess that the straw that broke the camel's back was some DNA evidence that arrived yesterday which told them that the 3 were deceased and they could link it to a suspect through various other pieces of evidence.

Have faith. I think they are being very careful and very methodical. LE does not want to have this go sideways on them.

Yes Canadian cases can take years to get to Trial

Heartfelt sympathies to the Liknes and O'Brien friends and family. Can't imagine the feeling of having all hope removed. My heart breaks for you .

I wonder what it was, the final straw for LE/investigators, to conclude that the L's and NO were murdered - particularly when they have no bodies. How can be so sure, conclusively, that they are all dead? Did they believe this days ago, or very early on.........or did some recent piece of evidence clinch it for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanamburga