Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it been stated as fact that DG held a grudge again AL?

Well, according to a CBC story attributed to an anonymous writer ... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-o-brien-amber-alert-police-search-landfill-1.2701030

"A source close to the police investigation told CBC News there is "bad blood" related to money between Garland and the missing grandfather, Alvin Liknes."

That is just the most questionable statement and represents very poor journalism! imo, MOO. An anonymous writer quotes an anonymous source. Sheesh.

A qualifier at the bottom of the item indicates that the CBC itself appears to have got its mitts slapped on that one.

The source of the information that there was 'bad blood' over money between Douglas Garland and Alvin Liknes is someone close to the investigation, but not an official police spokesperson.
Jul 09, 2014 1:41 PM MT

It would be interesting to know if any of the proceeds earned over the estate sale was still in the house when police were investigating

I hope that reporter isn't lurking ... he's going to think that someone is nuts for taking a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon to build a 3D model of the crime scene house ... but here it is ... in progress. Input welcome.

It would be interesting to know if any of the proceeds earned over the estate sale was still in the house when police were investigating
It would be very interesting to know ANYTHING! :/ cause right now, the public knows very little... 1 POI and lots of speculation but nothing else after 2 weeks!?

I personally don't think the focus should be on DG. I would look more into Winter Petroleum Ltd. since it folded weeks pre-disappearance.

Here is former employee:

"But Marek Kozera — one of eight people who lost their job when Winter Petroleum Ltd. folded weeks ago — said he told investigators “everything” about his former boss and the company’s financial woes."

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/10...any-went-bankrupt-weeks-before-disappearance/

I agree with you 100%!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This item seems to suggest DG's background on the dark side of the law is not as non-violent as we may have been presuming.

http://o.canada.com/news/national/blatchford-douglas-garland-person-of-interest-in-calgary-disappearance-of-boy-and-grandparents-had-troubled-history-with-law-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

Under an “accelerated parole review” program, which no longer exists, Garland was eligible for parole after serving just a sixth of his 39-month sentence.

It appears he was released some time after the June 19, 2000 decision and a follow-up one in October that year.

But the documents also refer to several criminal charges for violence Garland once faced, a two-decades long record for property offences and ongoing “mental health concerns.”

The decisions note that one charge for possession of a prohibited weapon was dismissed in 1988, another withdrawn in 1999, while an assault charge was stayed in 1989.

However the same article includes an important qualifier...

Despite what the board described as “weapons and assault charges” that might indicate Garland, then 40, could commit a violent offence, it concluded his age, the fact he’d never been convicted for violence and a psychological assessment that found he had little potential for violence offset that.

Board members were concerned by his “20-plus years” of property offences and contributing “mental issues,” but concluded, “Your mental health is assessed as having stabilized and with close monitoring” by a psychiatrist and psychologist until what’s called his “warrant expiry date” in October of 2003, he was deemed a manageable risk.

He does not appear to have had any further charges in the past decade.

Do we even know what area the POI lived in his teen/early 20's ?

What I mean is regular hangouts for teens in the Airdrie area. There must be places where teens got together to party on the weekends.

I hope that reporter isn't lurking ... he's going to think that someone is nuts for taking a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon to build a 3D model of the crime scene house ... but here it is ... in progress. Input welcome.

Phenomenal Otto. Thank you so much!

Well, according to a CBC story attributed to an anonymous writer ... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-o-brien-amber-alert-police-search-landfill-1.2701030

"A source close to the police investigation told CBC News there is "bad blood" related to money between Garland and the missing grandfather, Alvin Liknes."

That is just the most questionable statement and represents very poor journalism! imo, MOO. An anonymous writer quotes an anonymous source. Sheesh.

A qualifier at the bottom of the item indicates that the CBC itself appears to have got its mitts slapped on that one.

Yabut !! Playing with words here .. notice the reference to "official police spokesperson". There are lots of peeps close to the investigation but not that many "official police spokespersons".

It's too bad that school is out for the summer ... it seems likely that he would have gone to George McDougall since it was the only high school in the area at the time. It would be interesting to take a look through the yearbooks .... not that it really matters but interesting none-the-less.

Is that a high school in Airdrie that was build before 1973? He most likely attended school in the District of Rockyview, where his parents lived. That would most likely mean a high school in Airdrie.

Is that a high school in Airdrie that was build before 1973? He most likely attended school in the District of Rockyview, where his parents lived. That would most likely mean a high school in Airdrie.
Yes, George McDougall was the only high school in Airdrie at the time. Bert Church opened in 82 or 83

Wow, this is very good, Otto. As for lurking reporters, I am sure there are plenty. I used to be a newspaper reporter, and if this site had existed then, I would have made it a priority to check the site regularly if a story was mentioned on WS, that's for sure.

Murder charges were stayed against Travis Vader and he has launched a lawsuit for malicious prosecution.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/travis...-in-case-of-murdered-alberta-couple-1.1792029

An article which, if you ask me, should be a cautionary tale which should be required reading for investigators and prosecutors in this case and in the Bosma case, too, for that matter. MOO. JMHO. "Tunnel vision" is a well recognized aspect for criminal investigations and easy to understand in cases like these in which a large amount of public pressure is brought to bear. OOM.

http://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/innocence-project/resources/police-issues

A significant element that has been identified in many cases of wrongful conviction is tunnel-vision in the police investigation. Tunnel-vision refers to a situation where the police become convinced of the guilt of a particular suspect, and in focusing on that suspect ignore other legitimate avenues of investigation. When tunnel-vision occurs, the police will focus on evidence that implicates the suspect they have focused on, while discounting evidence that may indicate the innocence of that suspect (also known as "confirmation bias"). In addition, in some cases police misconduct and illegality contributes to the problem.

Tunnel-vision tends to arise most often in the context of particularly heinous crimes, where there is a high level of public pressure on the police to secure a suspect. This intense pressure can force the police to prioritize efficiency over procedure, and in the process mistakes are made.
BBM

Not my opinion (for once) but that of experts in the fields of justice and the law with articles all over the net. Just google "tunnel vision".

Add the reporter in the picture, maybe in front of the house looking inside and clueless? :D

I was looking for your posts this afternoon, otto; turns out this was the reason for your absence :)

Not sure how the public can come forth with info for LE unless we have intimate knowledge of the situation or have seen them around. Aside from that the public has little information to draw from coming from LE.

Yabut !! Playing with words here .. notice the reference to "official police spokesperson". There are lots of peeps close to the investigation but not that many "official police spokespersons".

True, but to loosely quote an infamous "word twister" , "That would depend on how close, close is." :worms:

otto

:yourock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members