Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe.

I believe that the time frame on the murders is prior to Wednesday, July 2nd 2014.

The reason I believe this is due to the neighbour viewing the lights on in the middle of the night in the greenhouse between Tuesday and Wednesday, and the "garbage" being burned all day Wednesday.

Garland was finishing up all disposal of the crime by Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014, IMO.

I agree. I think the crime was cleaned up within 24 hours of it happening. Keep in mind he was charged with first degree murder not a heat of the moment dispute gone bad.

Maybe.

I believe that the time frame on the murders is prior to Wednesday, July 2nd 2014.

The reason I believe this is due to the neighbour viewing the lights on in the middle of the night in the greenhouse between Tuesday and Wednesday, and the "garbage" being burned all day Wednesday.

Garland was finishing up all disposal of the crime by Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014, IMO.

if dissolved and burned for good measure, there would be residue at some point in the incinerator. if just burned then some removal is necessary. this is just an out-there thought; when did DG cut his grass feed lots? it's not unusual to see farmers transporting roles or squares of hay down the highway. looks fresh cut to me; http://live.calgaryherald.com/Event/Amber_alert_The_search_for_Nathan_OBrien_and_his_grandparents

is the DG property on a septic system? is there an older unused system still on site. it's also not unusual for farms to have old septic fields.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...than-o-brien-kathy-and-alvin-liknes-1.2707268

Transcript of Interview regarding Douglas Garland charges.
This is a rough draft of the transcript, it is not an official transcript.
It is not connected with any of the participants.
Any errors are my own.

Kevin Bryan = KB

Anchor: Our next guest says prosecuting a multiple homicide case without human remains presents some challenges.
Kevin Bryan was a forensic detective with the York Regional Police in Ontario for sixteen years until his retirement in 2011, and Kevin Brian joins us now, so thank you for your time here. When we are talking about a case where there are murder charges but no bodies, how difficult is that to do?

KB: It can be very difficult. However, the police are not laying these charges without extensive consolation with the prosecutors in this case, so I'm pretty confident that they have information, evidence that two things. Number one, all three of the missing parties are deceased. And, number two, that the accused is the one responsible for these homicides. Otherwise, there would not--even though we're missing the bodies--no charges would be laid until that evidence exists.

What evidence might that be? I would anticipate or suspect that there was some blood at the scene, at their--if the police are releasing information that there was, in fact, a struggle at the scene. So I would imagine that DNA would have been gleaned from the scene. Maybe from one of the missing persons, maybe from all three of the missing persons.

Blood spatter evidence would have been, a blood spatter expert would have been attended to the residence of the Liknes home and done an analysis there to determine what may have been caused, what may have caused the deaths of these three people. If, in fact, that's where the homicides took place. Although it might just have been a struggle, the persons abducted and then killed somewhere else.

Anchor: Why lay charges now, though? If, we know Douglas Garland was arrested, and charged in a case that had nothing to do with the disappearance of the Likneses and Nathan O'Brien. He was released on Friday, and then he's arrested a few days later. So, is there something with that timing?

KB: There may be. The actual initial arrest could have been on the unrelated charges. The evidence was not there at that time for them to proceed with the charges. Was he released from custody on a bail? I'm sure as soon as he was released that surveillance was put upon this person. He would have been the subject of both physical surveillance -- in other words, a surveillance team following him around as well as electronic surveillance. I have--from working previous cases-- I have no doubt that that took place. Did he go somewhere? Did he do something in that two days, or three days that he was out of custody that actually secured that last piece of evidence that the police needed to move forward to with the charges.

The police aren't gonna tell us that, and we're not gonna know that, unfortunately maybe not until the trial, because I don't suspect the bail hearing will--there'll be a publication ban on that as well as the preliminary hearing if in fact there is one, of course. So, we may not know what the information is for some time.

Anchor: He is accused of these crimes, so police believe that he's committed them. He would know where the bodies are then. How do they get that information from the accused?

KB: The accused is under no obligation to tell them, OK, so how would they get that information? It might be through some search warrants. Now that he's been arrested, they may be able to now access search warrants that they weren't able to get prior to enough evidence being obtained to show that there is reasonable grounds to think he committed those offences. So, with search warrants of his cellular phone, assuming he has one, most everybody does, maybe a GPS tracker in his vehicle, that type of thing, they may, may be able to follow the paths of his cell phone previous and the activity around the time of the abduction or removal of the bodies and locate them there. Other than that they're gonna have to hope he comes up and confesses as to where they are. And watching him on TV, fthat might be unlikely.

Anchor: Mmhmm, mmhmm. Is there something that could be offered to him to for instance for him to be involved, to actually help them find the body?

KB: There could be. I mean there's, there's always a chance of a , there's always the chance of a plea bargain being arranged at some later date to tell where the bodies are. There, there-- It's nothing we'd want to hear about.it's nothing we want to hear about, it's nothing we want to see happen. But it certainly could be. You know, he might plead guilty to three, three counts of second degree murder instead of first degree murder.

I mean, to lay a, to lay a charge of first degree murder--I mean, that tells us right away and especially it's kind of unusual they would lay two counts of first degree and one count of second degree. That's kind of unusual. Which tells me, I , we could speculate a little bit that one of two things happened.

When he went there, it's assumed that the police theory is that he went there that night to abduct and murder the two, the couple, not expecting to find the grandson, Nathan there, and so there was no premeditation with regards to the murder of Nathan. Secondly, first degree murder is also a--there's a schedule of offences that if a homicide takes place during the commission of these offences, first degree murder is a proper offence. One of them is kidnapping and the other one is forcible confinement. That's another one. There's. there's some others too, but those are two.

So, maybe there was forcible confinement of the couple, however they took their grandson with them. There was really no forcible confinement there. That's why it was a second degree murder charge. So it's very unusual that the charges are laid two counts of first and one of second. Especially without the bodies.

And the bodies hold so much of the evidence. Their gonna hold the time of death, or some information which may lead to the time of death. And, more important, the cause of death. How did these people die?

Now there may be blood spatter evidence at the scene, at the Liknes home, or in the vehicle or some other location tied to Garland that can tell them the cause of death, the weapon that was used through the blood spatter evidence. That is possible as well.

Anchor: But the bodies would help.

KB: But the bodies hold so much of the evidence. It's very dramatic not to have the bodies and to try and proceed.

Anchor: OK, Kevin. Thank you for your insight. We appreciate it. Kevin Bryan, retired forensic detective with York Regional Police here in Ontario.

Aren't you a gem, Wendiesan, for posting this transcript?! Thank-you. This interview with Bryan was excellent.

BBM - Both interesting components for me. Still trying to get my head around it

Out of curiosity, has there been any mention of who the defense team is for DG? Is it the same lawyer that was assigned to his identity charge last week?

In response to Stan Laurel, the acreage would not be serviced with water or sewers. It would be well water (or trucked) and would have a septic system.

I found reference for Garland's family living in Bow River in the 1960's, according to ancestry searching.

Bow River appears to be due west of Calgary on Trans-Canada Highway #1, basically, Canmore. Locals please assist with this if I am wrong.

I have said this from the beginning. The wording of the Amber Alert is interesting. It stated that NO may be in the accompaniment of his grandfather (or something to that effect). My opinion is that DG went to the house to confront AL before they moved away. I believe that during that meeting, there was a heated exchange and AL went to get something from another room. During that time DG killed KL, perhaps while NO was right there. I believe the drag marks are from AL dragging KL to the truck while DG had NO detained by a weapon of some sort. If DG had just killed KL and had NO restrained, AL would do anything he was asked. I think the LE had evidence from the beginning that KL was the person who was severely injured and in medical distress. This is why the Amber Alert was stated this way. I believe they felt that KL would likely be dead but there were no signs that AL or NO were injured at this point so therefore the wording stating that NO may be in the accompaniment of AL. JMO.

Mods, if this is inappropriate or crosses the line, please feel free to delete.

I am praying that they find all 3 family members so that there can be some closure and can provide the Liknes and O'Brien family with some peace.

I found reference for Garland's family living in Bow River in the 1960's, according to ancestry searching.

Bow River appears to be due west of Calgary on Trans-Canada Highway #1, basically, Canmore. Locals please assist with this if I am wrong.

Excellent sleuthing WG!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-search-party-scours-airdrie-fields-1.2708286

"Volunteers from three provinces and at least one U.S. state have come together near Airdrie, Alta., to scour the rural area for any signs of five-year-old Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes, from Calgary"
About 150 people from Alberta, Saskatchewan and B.C., as well as one traveller from Minnesota, combed meticulously through a search area defined by organizers of the civilian-led effort after a confidential phone call with police."

Please be 100% sure you are linking to the correct persons, we certainly don't want innocent people associated with this horrible crime.

Thanks

Bearspaw is a possibility. from Canmore downstream there are several very deep reservoirs, Seebee, Horseshoe, Ghost (my thoughts), Bearspaw. Of those and accessibility or without drawing attention, you have only Seebee/iffy and Ghost/easy (Ghost Lake is where you see those commercials with cars driving really fast on a frozen lake), one could launch a canoe, paddle a short distance and dump to near 100 feet deep in very cold water near a dam that is opened near twice a day. not diver friendly. Downstream on the Bow from Calgary, there's the massive weir of Carseland and then Bassano, which is near Brooks, south of hwy 12.

Sorry I can't find the link but it has been printed several times here but, I think that the initial report that NO might be with his grandfather, with the omission of KL was very telling and might have referenced the blood or 'evidence' found in the home. Then again maybe it was just slip of the tongue.

I wouldn't read too much into the other statements made by LE. I do believe they were being very cautious with words to protect the integrity of the investigation and also to protect family members from grief. They have no duty to report details of the case to the public until the trial date.

IMO, medical distress would only indicate two things, blood or excessive vomit.

I think they knew at least one person was deceased if not all 3 but there were no bodies so there was no way to confirm it until swabs from forensics tests came back. Therefore they said they were still looking for bodies. What else would they say? Anything other statement would be highly unprofessional.

When the chief said that day by day they have been assessing new evidence I believe he was implying that forensics tests had been completed and really that was all we were waiting for. Those tests do take time.

I also think they knew immediately that one or all 3 people were dead because there was not one mention of asking the public to search the city. The family was not out searching as far as I know. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Only once they had DG in their sights did they start asking people to check their properties.

The one thing that really confuses me is that there was mention of one of the people being taken out of the home alive...? How could they possibly know that? I was thinking maybe there was spit or vomit or urine found. Again sorry to be so gruesome.

I hope the family is NOT reading anything here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-search-party-scours-airdrie-fields-1.2708286

I would like to become involved in the volunteer search. Does anyone know who I can contact? Thank you in advance for responses.

copy paste number to google maps satellite;
Ghost
51.218638, -114.710282
Seebee
51.094684, -115.062234
Bearspaw
51.102311, -114.285547
Bassano
50.748329, -112.520056
Carseland
50.824834, -113.444654
Horseshoe Dam, not readily accessible
51.117129, -115.036019

Hmmm I found them only living in Calgary from the late 50s until 1974. Before they moved to an acreage in Northeast Calgary in the early 70s, they were living in the 60s in what is the neighbourhood of Bankview/South Calgary (now considered inner city), not that far as the crow flies from the Liknes' home.

Will be uploading a revised timeline to the Media/Maps/Timeline thread this afternoon.

OT .. am doing some emergency preparedness in my neck of the woods as there are a couple of "fires of note" being fought fairly close to where I live, with a couple of new ones that have started up in the last 24 hrs. Air is getting pretty smokey, so if I disappear for a bit, it's to get me and my brood out of Dodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honestyhastoprevail