Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Nathan hadn't been there, I doubt there would have been much of a search until well after video surveillance was over written.

I'm not so sure. I suspect JO would have been just as worried if her parents disappeared without a trace even if her son wasn't with them. I know if my mom was planning a move and then suddenly disappeared without a trace, 911 would be my first call.

Actually, I think he's pretty brilliant.

He defended himself by acting as his own lawyer during his EI case. He broke the law by using a fake identity, yet convinced the court he deserved EI.

I'm no fan of DG whatsoever, but he really pulled it off and showed his intelligence (even if it was for selfish gains).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I mean is, I don't think he's as brilliant as HE thinks he is. From everything I've ever read, most criminals think they're so smart they tend to overlook or underestimate investigative techniques.

Rude posts just need to be flagged by using the little triangle icon in the bottom left of the post.

ETA: And, we are EXPECTED to flag them !!

Given that there was a violent bloody struggle in the house, probably the murder weapon was not a gun.

I'm not so sure. I suspect JO would have been just as worried if her parents disappeared without a trace even if her son wasn't with them. I know if my mom was planning a move and then suddenly disappeared without a trace, 911 would be my first call.

Let's not forget that it wasn't just that they were missing. Clearly the house was in disarray and evidence suggested that something really terrible happened. LE would have been all over that from the get go.

Will be uploading a revised timeline to the Media/Maps/Timeline thread this afternoon.

OT .. am doing some emergency preparedness in my neck of the woods as there are a couple of "fires of note" being fought fairly close to where I live, with a couple of new ones that have started up in the last 24 hrs. Air is getting pretty smokey, so if I disappear for a bit, it's to get me and my brood out of Dodge.

Be safe Silly!:loveyou:

I'm sure the family would have been worried, but the response from police could have been quite different. There would have been a question as to whether they left voluntarily, since they had set everything in motion to leave anyway. What I'm thinking is that the plan went completely wrong with the presence of Nathan, so the original plan could have been no blood ... just gone. With Nathan being there, it sounds like the grandmother put up a fierce fight to protect him ... just a guess ... based on the drag marks and statements that Nathan might have been with his grandfather.

It just recurred to me that DG lived with his parents. Up to now I had imagined him living alone and his parents simply owned that farm but living elsewhere. Now if they lived together, his parents could have seen plenty activities, esp. at odd hours, and smelled strange smells (chemical or otherwise). They would know more than anyone else about his recent activities.

(btw the above linked article gives a good summary of various aspect of the case)

Let's not forget that it wasn't just that they were missing. Clearly the house was in disarray and evidence suggested that something really terrible happened. LE would have been all over that from the get go.

I was thinking the same thing as I was typing my reply, actually. It's hard to say if JO would have gone over as soon, or how the place might have looked were NO not there, but either way once it was clear AL and KL were missing I'm sure the police would have taken it pretty seriously. All just speculation and my own opinion, of course. :)

I'm sure the family would have been worried, but the response from police could have been quite different. There would have been a question as to whether they left voluntarily, since they had set everything in motion to leave anyway. What I'm thinking is that the plan went completely wrong with the presence of Nathan, so the original plan could have been no blood ... just gone. With Nathan being there, it sounds like the grandmother put up a fierce fight to protect him ... just a guess ... based on the drag marks and statements that Nathan might have been with his grandfather.

All really good points. Hard to really say how it would have turned out otherwise.

I think that Garland is smug, and that he feels like he was justified in what he did. I think he's that type of person. I don't think he'll ever reveal what he did with the victims.

Actually, I think he's pretty brilliant.

He defended himself by acting as his own lawyer during his EI case. He broke the law by using a fake identity, yet convinced the court he deserved EI.

I'm no fan of DG whatsoever, but he really pulled it off and showed his intelligence (even if it was for selfish gains).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And going with that theory IMHO it's entirely possible he was the "brains" behind one, some, all of AL's patents. Again, IMHO I think that's where the motive lies. Recognition for his expertise. He probably wasn't happy with the way AL "shopped" his patent around and thought he could have done it better. Perhaps this last patent was the last straw.

Also IMHO I don't think he brought the 3 victims back to his parent's farm. I think he disposed of them quite quickly, not far from the Liknes' house, most likely in AL's truck and kept his truck clean.

I think that Garland is smug, and that he feels like he was justified in what he did. I think he's that type of person. I don't think he'll ever reveal what he did with the victims.

Not prior to the trial although I suspect that LE may well understand and have resources to deal with people with personality disorders and other psychiatric conditions.
Once they have a psychiatric assessment or even prior. They may have a plan to proceed with an interrogation.

And going with that theory IMHO it's entirely possible he was the "brains" behind one, some, all of AL's patents. Again, IMHO I think that's where the motive lies. Recognition for his expertise. He probably wasn't happy with the way AL "shopped" his patent around and thought he could have done it better. Perhaps this last patent was the last straw.

Also IMHO I don't think he brought the 3 victims back to his parent's farm. I think he disposed of them quite quickly, not far from the Liknes' house, most likely in AL's truck and kept his truck clean.

Garland isn't mentioned on any of Alvin's patents, so he would not be entitled to any income from sales or application of the idea. In 2011, the patent idea did not work. Another was filed in 2013, but there could have been problems with that too. Garland may have believed that the ideas worked, or believed that he should have been compensated for something, but if the patents didn't work, and there was no contract in place for work, the Garland probably wasn't owed anything.

ITA with this. I think the bodies are in a remote area exposed to the elements and animals (sorry). Whatever was used to drag them and/or whatever was used as a barrier between the truck interior/bed and the family was burned.

Having driven to Golden(BC), and seeing the drops so close to the side of the highway, I'd see that as a perfect place to roll a body off a tailgate- especially in the middle of the night. No carrying, a steep drop off so nothing would be visable from the highway and elements / wildlife.

I apologize if this link was posted previously. The mental assessment statement is interesting. Little did they know that down the road, DG would be accused of this heinous crime. Hmmm...'manageable risk'!

A second review by the parole board on October 20, 2000 suggested Garland’s mental health had stabilized.

“Your mental health is assessed as having stabilized and with close monitoring in the Community Residential Facility and by mental health professionals, you are assessed as a manageable risk.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1451758/who-is-calgary-triple-murder-suspect-douglas-garland/

Garland isn't mentioned on any of Alvin's patents, so he would not be entitled to any income from sales or application of the idea. In 2011, the patent idea did not work. Another was filed in 2013, but there could have been problems with that too. Garland may have believed that the ideas worked, or believed that he should have been compensated for something, but if the patents didn't work, and there was no contract in place for work, the Garland probably wasn't owed anything.
Don't companies contract work out all the time? Under this wouldn't it become intellectual property of the company? Whereby the contracting scientist may list it on the resume but not actually have ownership of it?

Is the sister Patti younger or older than DG?
Female children of farming in my experience, appear to be treated differently from male children who may " take over the farm one day" whether she's younger or older may not be relevant in ant way. In my experience girls tend to be educated, boys continue on with the farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaus28