Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know for sure if DG is heterosexual or not?

Could he have had a fixation on AL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a super-moon some time around July 8; that was a full moon. Was it a 3/4 moon when the murders occurred on the night of June 29?

Oh boy ...there's my messy post *L* I edited Otto...I'm sorry...I'm tired and I found a much simpler *duh me* way to change the date....I really should have looked further.....

About the moon....I'm going there now to check....
Okay.....Calgary...moon stages ..... http://www.almanac.com/moon/calendar/AB/Calgary/2014-06
This site is good being almanac ...but they seem to like their ads *rolls eyes* ....but good otherwise....

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Calgary/ID/2474188780/

Transcript: Crown prosecutor speaks on Nathan O'Brien case
This is not an official transcript and is not connected to any of the parties involved.
This is a rough draft, and all the errors are my own.

Shane Parker (SP) speaks about the case against Douglas Garland.

Please note, the Mr. Ross referred to in this transcript is Kim Ross, who is DG's lawyer. (http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...r_charges.html)
Shane G. Parker is a Crown Prosecutor. He was called to the bar in NS in 2001, in AB in 2006. He became Queen's Counsel in AG in 2013. He serves in the Special Prosecutions branch of the Dept. of Justice and Solicitor General. http://www.canadianlawlist.com/listi...parker-600465/

SP: The first arraignment is where the accused gets to hear his charges. Mr. Ross waived those charges for today. We're still in Provincial Court so obviously nothing of any substance is gonna happen in there.

We're waiting for disclosure from the Calgary Police Service. It normally takes about thirty days in a major crime for them to be able to get it together. It's a little more challenging in the case because of the speed of the investigation, and, really, how it's been transitioning through the course of the two weeks with co-ordinating both a homicide investigation and a missing person investigation. And, really, we've taken what would normally be a very large-scale investigation and tried to condense it down to a two week period.

So, as a result, disclosure is usually one of those things that gets put off on the back burner. The police have been doing a very good job in this case in trying to keep up with it, but I know they're gonna need some more time.

That being said, and, speaking with the investigators yesterday, the day before, they feel that they're confident that they can get a significant amount of disclosure, but not all of it, out for the next two, two and a half weeks. The crown then still has to look at it to make sure that we--we assess it to make sure everything that goes with it or is appropriate and then it will go to Mr. Ross.

So, while we have August 14th as the next day for him to start to schedule things. The next thing will also be a preliminary inquiry to be scheduled. That may or may not be occurring on the 14th. We may still need another further delay on that day, but I would think the 14th is a reasonable day for us to try and at least know where we are in the process.

Reporter: How difficult would it be to go ahead to trial without the bodies?

SP: We've done it before, and we'll, we'll do it again. It's obviously more challenging because bodies provide a whole lot of evidence for a jury. They provide a whole lot of evidence from a forensic standpoint normally for the police, and, without that, it's--we're missing a few bullets. But, that being said, I've been the advisory of the Crown on this file since the beginning. I'm familiar with the evidence. And, I'm confident that we can make all the elements of the offence beyond a reasonable doubt.

Reporter: What makes you hopeful that you will be able to handle this without the bodies?

SP: I think the nature of the evidence--and, obviously today I'm not going to be going into any of the specifics about evidence, the specifics of it, but there are a number of circumstances that we've used in past cases which, I think, apply to this one as well.

And, we still have time. We're still hopeful that the police are gonna continue on with their searches. I think the Chief of Police has already given that commitment. The investigators are certainly working tirelessly to try and continue the investigation--not only in finding bodies, but other sources of evidence as well.

So that we're uh, this is not an investigation that's over and done with by the charges being laid. Its continuing on, and we're hoping to continue to gather more evidence.

Reporter: Can you tell us in general about those circumstances you used in the past and just what you look for?

SP: Sure. The circumstances we typically look for are banking activity or non-banking activity, lack of contact with people, we look at the crime scene itself. In this case, we've also looked at the fact that there's been no ransom notes provided. So we're looking at factors generally like that. We've looked at in cases that are before the courts now, and also that I've dealt with in the past.

Reporter: Shane I don't know if you can answer this or not, but is the primary crime scene the home from where they went missing?

SP: You know, I think there's been two primary search sites and for now those have been the focus of it. But, you know, I know Mr. Liknes was in talking to you earlier about the co-operation of the Calgary police or the citizens of Calgary, and it really has been outstanding. So, we've gotten evidence from other sources than just those two locations.

And it really is because of the good folks, the good citizens of Calgary doing their civic duty and picking up the phone and calling the police and helping out. So I would encourarge people to continue to do that because we're getting evidence from a number of different sources. And that's really encouraging from a community standpoint.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ay-no-public-help-needed-for-search-1.2708571
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Calgary/ID/2474186281/

Transcript of Allen Liknes speaking to media after court.
This is not an official draft, and is not connected to any of the participants.
This is a rough draft, and alll errors are my own.

Allen Liknes = AL
(Mr. Liknes is a son of Alvin Liknes. He is in a relationship with Douglas Garland's sister.)

AL: We want to thank the city of Calgary, the Province of Alberta for all the vigils, all the support. The family has taken a lot of strength from it. And thank you for the search parties. And thanks.

Reporter: How are you guys holding up? I think that's what we want to know.

AL: It's, it's tough. That's all I can say.

Reporter: Does all the balloons and all the cards...

AL: Yes, It helps. And it's incredibly sad but it's, it helps, their support.

Reporter: Do you need some help with searches, do you want to continue searching?

AL: There's some search parties as far as I know in Airdrie, and it's really thankful to get out there, it's five days and…

Reporter, Mr. Liknes, how is your common law partner doing now?

AL: Not good. OK, thanks guys.

JMO: Has anyone else thought that maybe NO is still alive and out there or is it just me? I have a gut feeling that he is ok, maybe just denial and hope, but I had the same feeling with J. Dugard as well and she was found. I also felt as if the McStays were killed and have the same feeling with AL and KL but not NO. Like maybe DG did something else with NO, as he may have done what he is accused to KL and AL because they may have double crossed him but NO was innocent and I think that would mean something to DG since this is a relative to PG. Or maybe NO slept through the whole thing because DG didn't know he was there, hence the comment by JO (that he is out there because he wasn't supposed to be there) and since they knew who possibly went after AL and that he was part of the family they have to make it look like NO is missing for his own protection. I am just hopeful because the alternative is just too depressing when it comes to that little boy. Either way I still have hope for him until they are found.

It's not just you. I keep feeling he is still out there somewhere and I fear DG was trying to get back to him at 1.30 am, compromising his bail conditions...getting re arrested. I am likely wrong as usual but my heart rules on this one. X

Thanks ... Garland was born in 1960. So if his sister was born in 1974, he was 14 years old. If she was born in 1972, he was 12 years old. The family moved to the Airdrie acreage when he was 13, in 1973. What came first: the new baby or the move to the acreage? Was he jealous of his sister? Is that why he murdered her father in law, her nephew, and her husband's step mother?

What kind of big brother would Douglas have been to his little sister? He thinks that he is superior. How would he have related to a younger sibling? He could have been as young as 8 years old when his sister was born or he could have been as old as 14. That would make her 46 years old today and their parents would be in their late 70s or early 80s.

Always delighted when I get something right. I said 10 - 15 years in looking at them. So it looks like it's 9 or 10.

It should have been around a new moon that night, it was slightly overcast at my end of town and clouds throw city light quite brightly. Also due our altitude, we have very long twilight, so dark time would be about one hour after sunset to about half an hour before, so 4 hours realistically with natural dark time. Also, being the day prior to a national holiday, most people would have taken Monday off so most people wouldn't have taken note of late night noise. McCleod Trail is also loud and close'ish so city noise is a part of life in that neighbourhood.

My new theory is DG went to the side door, AL saw him, stepped outside, was bludgeoned, dragged to the front and leaned up against the garage. DG re-entered with the home with KL in bed with NO. DG then merely walked in, killed her with some struggle, then tied up and gagged NO. Took AL's body, then returned for KL and NO or loaded them all and left. My other theory is DG sharing a goodbye-no-hard- feelings drink that is spiked and AL being the bigger frame, stood and fell hitting his head (head wounds produce an incredible amount of blood). I also now think that DG did not take them to the farm.

Do we know for sure if DG is heterosexual or not?

Could he have had a fixation on AL?

Seriously? I would suggest that DG is not a sexual being. I would guess that he does not get or enjoy intimacy. He's a loner. I very much doubt he is homosexual. Moo

A pickup truck parked in front of one's house would be alerting, especially late at night or in early morning, would it? Even if you've fallen in asleep, the engine nosie and light may wake you up?

if she is 46 she would have been born in 1968 :) I seem to recall a post where she was stated to have graduated in 1987. Too bad the schools in Airdrie are closed for the summer. Would have been nice to verify it via yearbooks.

If the suspect's sister graduated from high school in 1987, then she was born in 1969 or 1970. That means that Garland was 9 or 10 years old when he was presented with a little sister. Three years later, when he was thirteen, his parents moved to a 40 acre property NE of Airdrie. He became a complete freak ... if he is guilty ... and her husband's family are the victims.

A pickup truck parked in front of one's house would be alerting, especially late at night or in early morning, would it? Even if you've fallen in asleep, the engine nosie and light may wake you up?

Aren't pick up trucks as common as ball caps in Calgary? I doubt that a pickup truck would draw any attention, especially in the driveway at the end of a three day garage sale.

Aren't pick up trucks as common as ball caps in Calgary? I doubt that a pickup truck would draw any attention, especially in the driveway at the end of a three day garage sale.

At night, say midnight or after, when everything was long over, in the quiet of night, on a local street?

There are so many trucks in cowtown that it boggles the mind when one considers how much gas costs.

At night, say midnight or after, when everything was long over, in the quiet of night?

early Monday morning preceeded Canada day so most wouldn't think much of noise, or little noise. also (aside from the houses across the street, and even those infills probably had back bedrooms), it would take some work to be nosy.

If all was said and done by midnight, it would put DG in Veteran Alberta/Hwy 12 at 3:55.

Seriously? I would suggest that DG is not a sexual being. I would guess that he does not get or enjoy intimacy. He's a loner. I very much doubt he is homosexual. Moo

I am a bit apprehensive to post this as it didn't go well in another thread here recently but, he could have Aspergers syndrome. I am not implying anything by saying that. Just a hunch I had.

We still know very little about DG except for his criminal and education past, he is a loner, he lives with his parents, AFAIK he has never been married, no mention of an ex-girlfriend anywhere.

I wonder about the relationship between DG and his parents,, I think they were close, which leads me to think that he wouldn't taint their property with those he didn't like. I think they are elsewhere. however, do you think the cops looked up in the trees?

I wonder about the relationship between DG and his parents,, I think they were close, which leads me to think that he wouldn't taint their property with those he didn't like. I think they are elsewhere. however, do you think the cops looked up in the trees?

Do you mean that maybe he has hidden evidence in the trees?

Do you mean that maybe he has hidden evidence in the trees?

I don't know of you live in Calgary, but I do.

The weather here can be VERY crazy and extreme, with wind, hail, driving rain. Anything that DG could have "hidden" in the trees wouldn't stay there for long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member