CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
These cases rip my heart out. A person, seemingly out enjoying nature, his animals & bad things happen.
It’s so disturbing. It’s not like relationship, family or work problems led to the disappearance (usually).
The thought of anyone needing to be found before time runs out, yet the searches are called off. Just unfathomable.

Every searcher is vital. A cowboy is in a brotherhood, tho. Just like police, firemen, athletes and other sectors.
A cowboy can use his shills to think “what would I do, where would I he riding as I’m searching for strays, easiest spot for my horse, etc.
I was also wondering, in the interior of the farm, where Ben was riding, other horses are running, correct? Again, tysm

Yes, you're so right ... whether on the ground, supporting efforts or coordinating....we are all cogs in the wheel. People are now referring to him as "Ben", as though they know him. Praying praying praying.

Yes, wild/feral horses up there where his horse was discover
Who knows about the strays? I wanna know, is there an issue with missing cattle? Did Ben ride someone else’s land? Is Swakum Ridge on NR land or off? Seems so much mystery surrounds NR. I’m getting a bad vibe.
How & why do other ranchers know what he might’ve been doing? Did cows leave NR & NR received complaints?
As far as the horse being “jumpy”, KR does not know the horse, has no idea if he’s flighty or not. A riderless horse, fully tacked, usually runs like he’s in the derby, lol, I’ve always figured they know they’re wrong.

It's just something more along the lines of animals got missed when fall gathering ... it happens. This winter has been very mild up until this past few weeks and the animal(s) would likely move down as the snowlike moved. It's just a case of a lot of land covering both private and crown grazing leased land, and Neighbours share fences, some share locked gates and will help each other out (for instance, it's not uncommon to pick up or return cattle to your neighbours if they've gotten mixed in).

Yes, you're so right ... whether on the ground, supporting efforts or coordinating....we are all cogs in the wheel. People are now referring to him as "Ben", as though they know him. Praying praying praying.

Yes, wild/feral horses up there where his horse was discover

It's just something more along the lines of animals got missed when fall gathering ... it happens. This winter has been very mild up until this past few weeks and the animal(s) would likely move down as the snowlike moved. It's just a case of a lot of land covering both private and crown grazing leased land, and Neighbours share fences, some share locked gates and will help each other out (for instance, it's not uncommon to pick up or return cattle to your neighbours if they've gotten mixed in).

Tysm, your posts help us understand how things are done, in your area!
I still don’t know, was Ben on NR property or not?
Was the horse actually on the ranch land?
If Ben was on someone else’s land, I think that adds a whole new dimension, with the possibility of foul play.
Since he’s virtually a stranger, might someone thought he was up to no good?

Well, I’m confused about the strays. Did NR have cattle missing? Where I live, when cattle go missing, they’ve generally been stolen. If NR actually had strays, they had no feed, imo, maybe a few weeds and leaves. So, they should have headed back. Is the ranch large enough Ben had yet to explored it & was more pleasure riding? Does anyone know? Confusing.......
I’m sure he loved to ride & did so daily. He probably didn’t have a lot to do on off days.

I'm sure every so often cattle go missing but it's usually more a fence is down and animals drift across it. As far as feed, the Nicola Valley is cattle country with a lot of bunch grass covering vast stretches of land .... we're not talking some dinky pasture covered in deep snow. Keep in mind it's 1000's of acres and miles of fence.

I'm sure every so often cattle go missing but it's usually more a fence is down and animals drift across it. As far as feed, the Nicola Valley is cattle country with a lot of bunch grass covering vast stretches of land .... we're not talking some dinky pasture covered in deep snow. Keep in mind it's 1000's of acres and miles of fence.
Okay, I understand but didn’t know if snow had blanketed the area. I’m in KY. The grass has no nutrients after mid October plus growth ceases, it necessary to feed.

Last edited:
Tysm, your posts help us understand how things are done, in your area!
I still don’t know, was Ben on NR property or not?
Was the horse actually on the ranch land?
If Ben was on someone else’s land, I think that adds a whole new dimension, with the possibility of foul play.
Since he’s virtually a stranger, might someone thought he was up to no good?
Glad to be of help.
This is a small community of ranchers spread over a vast area . . . outfits ride on each others' ranges & this is pretty much standard operating procedure around here.
Where are you that you have to be concerned for your life when just going about with your job? That's sounds like unfriendly territory!

O

kay, I understand but didn’t know if snow had blanketed the area. I’m in KY. The grass has no nutrients after mid October plus growth ceases, it necessary to feed.

Ok, thanks ... that makes sense. Everyone is feeding here but up until December the ground was barely frozen and the ranchers were probably feeding a lot less than they normally would at this time.

Glad to be of help.
This is a small community of ranchers spread over a vast area . . . outfits ride on each others' ranges & this is pretty much standard operating procedure around here.
Where are you that you have to be concerned for your life when just going about with your job? That's sounds like unfriendly territory!

We don’t have open grazing. In my state (Kentucky) we need to maintain our fences. If our stock gets out, we usually wind up in court. People don’t take kindly to cows & horses ending up on their farms. Also, in my immediate area, most farms don't exceed 10k acres. Cattle rustling is always an issue, tho.

Do you think people have given up hope he’s alive?

Also.....I’m kinda surprised Ben set out alone, in adverse weather. All farm hands couldn’t be off, the same day. Wonder why he didn’t have one of his guys tag along?

On the weekend and up until Monday the weather was actually quite mild...I don't think I was even wearing gloves until Sunday or Monday.

It's probably a small crew right now; will stay that way until calving season kicks in for every one.

We don’t have open grazing. In my state (Kentucky) we need to maintain our fences. If our stock gets out, we usually wind up in court. People don’t take kindly to cows & horses ending up on their farms. Also, in my immediate area, most farms don't exceed 10k acres. Cattle rustling is always an issue, tho.

Do you think people have given up hope he’s alive?

That's very different than here, I'm surprised that sounds so severe that you'd end up in court. It sounds as though we're more informal around here; of course it's best to maintain your fences and most do.

I haven't spoken to anyone today...I believe there are many of us that try our hardest to keep on hoping -- because there's always hope, and miracles do happen.

I wish that someone would disclose what/who/where he was that Saturday . . . I feel that if there's something more than this is important. But then again it may be just something simple like he was out on his own and had an accident.

Also, I wonder if he carried a gun with him? Could he have had an accident with his own gun?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very different than here, I'm surprised that sounds so severe that you'd end up in court. It sounds as though we're more informal around here; of course it's best to maintain your fences and most do.

I haven't spoken to anyone today...I believe there are many of us that try our hardest to keep on hoping -- because there's always hope, and miracles do happen.

I wish that someone would disclose what/who/where he was that Saturday . . . I feel that if there's something more than this is important. But then again it may be just something simple like he was out on his own and had an accident.

Also, I wonder if he carried a gun with him? Could he have had an accident with his own gun?

I would think he carried a gun. We always do on trail rides, never know when we might need one. Sadly, if a horse gets injured, he may need put down.
What type wild animals do you have?
Yes, I’ve considered some type of incident with his weapon.
A cowboy leads kind of a funny life. A lonely life, imo. They work long days, see few people, their best friend is their dog/horse, imo. A true working cowboy has little chance of what we deem a normal life, imo.
I noticed on Ben’s FB, he seemed to really enjoy Russia. I hope he was as happy at NR.

here's what I wrote a few pages back in regards to wild animals:

It would be highly unusual for a bear to attack a rider; I could see that scenario if he got between her and her cub but that's not a possibility right now. We have had a milder winter but I haven't heard of anyone sighting bears or tracks with this situation. Every so often there's a grizzly spotted but again, a doubtful thought at this time and that area. There are cougars and yes, they will attack . . . .that being said, you'd think his horse would have had some evidence of that ... unless the rider had dismounted. Every now and again a few wolves are spotted, so I suppose that could also be a consideration. Yet, again no mention of signs of any of these predators from any searchers (that I've seen).

I meant over 2,000 acres private ... so the mix of private and crown could be tens of thousands of acres. At one point (not sure if still applicable) they had 2,000 acres of irrigated farmland.

Please explain ‘crown land”. If this is public land used by many ranches, does each ranch fence off a portion? Or will cattle roam together? Here, it’s chaotic running herds from dif farms together & Rarely ever done. Very hard to cut out the correct tags at sale time. Fun, but complex.

here's what I wrote a few pages back in regards to wild animals:

It would be highly unusual for a bear to attack a rider; I could see that scenario if he got between her and her cub but that's not a possibility right now. We have had a milder winter but I haven't heard of anyone sighting bears or tracks with this situation. Every so often there's a grizzly spotted but again, a doubtful thought at this time and that area. There are cougars and yes, they will attack . . . .that being said, you'd think his horse would have had some evidence of that ... unless the rider had dismounted. Every now and again a few wolves are spotted, so I suppose that could also be a consideration. Yet, again no mention of signs of any of these predators from any searchers (that I've seen).

Just read this up thread, sorry.
I think he’d watch for bear. Cougar are a bit more elusive, imo. And, you’re right, KR & other searchers haven’t mentioned sightings.
W/o knowing his departure time, no one can establish how far he made it. That sucks!
None of the guys working under him have commented, to my knowledge?

Also.....I’m kinda surprised Ben set out alone, in adverse weather. All farm hands couldn’t be off, the same day. Wonder why he didn’t have one of his guys tag along?

Ben heading out on his own doesn't surprise me. He is a seasoned "Cowboy". I do not believe the weather was that adverse when he set out but it certainly became adverse days later. Cowboys I know tend to be independent or "loners". It was Ben's day off and he had no reason to invite or take anyone along imo. I honestly, and I hate to admit this and say it out loud, do not think he has survived what he may have "encountered or experienced" in the last approx 11 days. I pray I am wrong and I do pray for his safety, I so want to have this mystery solved with a happy ending but I just do not feel that is going to be the case.

One of the articles that someone posted here said that part of the problem trying to track him was because of ongoing logging in the area as well as wild horses. With regard to logging, I think the article indicated that some areas he may have traveled had been logged over since he went missing. That worries me, especially if he were laying incapacitated or injured. Some have mentioned that they hope he made it to some remote cabin "out there" to either hunker down or heal but I have not heard any mention of, nor seen, any remote cabin in the area. Also, I think given the extensive search, that any cabin anywhere near the area he went missing has been or was searched because like minds think alike.

I personally do not feel foul play was involved but I do agree that a case for foul play can certainly be made. I think he had an accident. I think the elements are, and were, against him and I hope he is recovered, if not located alive, so that questions may be answered as to his disappearance.

Last edited:
Please explain ‘crown land”. If this is public land used by many ranches, does each ranch fence off a portion? Or will cattle roam together? Here, it’s chaotic running herds from dif farms together & Rarely ever done. Very hard to cut out the correct tags at sale time. Fun, but complex.
Crown land is owned by the province rather than a private deed. I think down there you call it BLM?
It's fenced; and only one outfit would have a grazing lease ... someone from range management would be determining how many cattle are on it; when they could turnout and for how long.

Again, how does anyone know for sure that he went to search for strays? Some comments suggest he would have/should have taken his dog(s) if this were the case, as they are most likely herding dogs.

Or...if this was just a restful leisurely ride for enjoyment on his day off. So much mixed up info about his disappearance and the reasons he left on that Sunday morning. (Even that is in question.)
good point that should be cleared up, imo.
The thought that Ben went out looking for stray cows was a guess
by representatives of the ranch early on. A guess. No one knew
why or where he was going. There is no information about his
reason for riding out the day he left. Just as there's no real
info about when he left.
Thanks to Sweet Anna and Trudie also for keeping this thread
active and informative. Both your posts are excellent.
It seems we all have the same questions about this case.
Keep up the great work!!!

I’m wondering about flying over? Not knowing the terrain & weather, idk if they can. I’m really worried (as all) about hypothermia.
Anyone know how old his horse is? Most of the working cowboys I know don’t keep their personal horse long.
ETA: air searches were performed but I guess called off with all search efforts due to weather.
If they could get a helicopter in that's plausible. By regulation, planes have to be 500 feet above the ground in rural areas (in the US anyway, Canada probably has similar law) Having done SAR as a pilot it's almost impossible to spot a human from 500 feet in wooded terrain unless they've got a flare or a fire.

good point that should be cleared up, imo.
The thought that Ben went out looking for stray cows was a guess
by representatives of the ranch early on. A guess. No one knew
why or where he was going. There is no information about his
reason for riding out the day he left. Just as there's no real
info about when he left.
Thanks to Sweet Anna and Trudie also for keeping this thread
active and informative. Both your posts are excellent.
It seems we all have the same questions about this case.
Keep up the great work!!!

So I guess he could have been riding the property lines checking on the condition of the fencing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff