CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dash-cam Footage Wanted in Tyner Investigation

Southeast District Major Crime Unit (SED MCU), states Staff Sgt. Lorne Wood, Merritt RCMP Detachment Commander. Investigators are now asking anyone who was in Merritt on the weekend of January 26 to 27, 2019 and has dash cam or other video footage, to please contact the SED MCU tip line at 1-877-987-8477,” he continued.

Sgt. Janelle Shoihet from E division confirmed to Q101 that this is simply the next investigative step, and not result of a new development.

Noted by me: At least they are still investigating.

There was also coverage on Global TV at noon but I didn't get to see it all. Just saw Ben's pic and heard the part about RCMP requesting dash cam video. Ben's case is certainly getting coverage throughout BC.

Glad to hear this Billy.
What’s your theory, please?
Have you heard a word from the ranch owner?
I find it strange that he has not offered a reward, afaik.

Glad to hear this Billy.
What’s your theory, please?
Have you heard a word from the ranch owner?
I find it strange that he has not offered a reward, afaik.
To quote the admin of Missing Ben FB, reward offer is in hands of family and LE. I have not seen mention of one from family on any sources/ Can employer do so without LE and family consent?

MISSING: BEN TYNER

RL Dakin ^ "In some cases a reward can help advance a search effort but in other cases it can be detrimental. ONLY the family can make this decision and ONLY after consultation and careful consideration with law enforcement handling the missing person's case."

"Please respect the family's rights and responsibilities in this area and their ability to make the best decision, in consultation with police, in this regard."

There is no one answer to how long dash cam video is kept. It depends on the camera (how much storage it has), the quality of the video (higher quality eats up more storage space), if the camera backs it up to the cloud (more likely in commercial vehicle use), user settings, etc.

I can’t stop thinking about this article about Jaycee Dugard and horse therapy.

The context is how horses heal but here is the quote, bbm:

“Horses are nonjudgmental and they don’t obsess,” says Linda Kohanov, author of The Tao of Equus and Way of the Horse and a pioneer in the field of equine-facilitated learning. “Horse wisdom is concerned more with the present than the past or the future. If they sense danger, horses race to safety, then go right back to grazing. They don’t stay up all night worrying about lions. They go right back to enjoying life, taking it minute by minute, and they can teach us to do that.”

The Healing Power of Horses: How Equine Therapy Benefits Veterans, Victims of Abuse & More
https://parade.com/851678/nicolabri...rapy-benefits-veterans-victims-of-abuse-more/
As linked and discussed Mr Robinson seems much attuned to the horse's emotional state:

“It took me about 20 minutes to get him because he was pretty jumpy — something happened to him. He only had one rein,” Robinson said. “But I caught him and tied him up to a tree.”​

Family of missing cowboy coming from Wyoming to aid in search

To me this is a professional working horse and used to being steady under all circumstances. Gunny, the horse, is described as gentle and, I am guessing considering her profession, would have been easier to catch especially by someone as confident as Robinson.

It’s his horse, and it’s a gentle horse,” Straya said.

Horse belonging to missing Merritt cowboy arrived at ranch unscathed

Keeping in mind the horse experts’ statement regarding the timeline I am wondering what to make of Gunny’s being jumpy.

just imo

“Horses are nonjudgmental and they don’t obsess,” says Linda Kohanov, author of The Tao of Equus and Way of the Horse and a pioneer in the field of equine-facilitated learning. “Horse wisdom is concerned more with the present than the past or the future. If they sense danger, horses race to safety, then go right back to grazing. They don’t stay up all night worrying about lions. They go right back to enjoying life, taking it minute by minute, and they can teach us to do that.”

The Healing Power of Horses: How Equine Therapy Benefits Veterans, Victims of Abuse & More
As linked and discussed Mr Robinson seems much attuned to the horse's emotional state:

“It took me about 20 minutes to get him because he was pretty jumpy — something happened to him. He only had one rein,” Robinson said. “But I caught him and tied him up to a tree.”​
To me this is a professional working horse and used to being steady under all circumstances. Gunny, the horse, is described as gentle and, I am guessing considering her profession, would have been easier to catch especially by someone as confident as Robinson.

Keeping in mind the horse experts’ statement regarding the timeline I am wondering what to make of Gunny’s being jumpy.

just imo

Well, we don’t know long long Gunny had been running, probably stepping on a rein, tired, thirsty, etc. Plus, she wasn’t likely accustomed to running riderless fully tacked.
Mr. Robinson has no knowledge of Gunny & her normal disposition, either. Moo

Totally O/T, but after reading BT'S Thread today I needed something to cheer me up. I went to this link expecting to see RCMP'S future police dogs happily and clumsily tumbling about in play.

However, it would appear that the Mounties have been breeding their dogs for years for "my work is serious so don't mess with me" attitudes. Have you ever seen such serious puppies!? But totally adorable and cheered me up.

In the 2nd photo, take a good look at the pup on the left. I've seen photos of adult wolves that were less fierce and intimidating. (:
Name the Puppy 2019: Help the RCMP name their newest puppies | Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Name the Puppy 2019: Help the RCMP name their newest puppies
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police needs your help to name the next generation of police dogs.
The chosen names will be given to 13 German Shepherd puppies born at the Police Dog Service Training Centre in Innisfail, Alberta.

The 13 children whose names are selected will each receive a laminated 8×10-inch photo of the pup they name, a plush dog named Justice and an RCMP baseball cap.

FoxB, you made me want a puppy, which I do not need.

Wonder if they used the dogs around Bens house at NR?!?
Good question. Dogs were used in the SAR searches along with other means, as listed many times in MSM reports above in this thread. And Jack used Ben's dog(s) to help in the search. Would that include areas close to and around the ranch? I hope so. JMO

just imo

I gotta tell you as a horse professional I don’t really agree with what you’re getting at here. In December, my horse was at a clinic with an Olympic trainer when another horse got too close for comfort and he nailed me in the face with his shod hind foot. I was bleeding and fairly freaked out, and he was munching hay contentedly. I was at a competition with another one of my horses where I fell off and nailed my head really hard and had to then lead my horse back to the barn about a quarter mile away (luckily in both situations, I was wearing a helmet). He was a jumpy jerk the whole time because he’d just been galloping and jumping and suddenly had to walk quietly next to me back to the barn, but I can assure you his psyche wasn’t affected by my fall. He just wanted to run and jump more.

The quote above about horse memory is actually going against what I think you’re getting at-that the horse witnessed something dangerous and was scared by it. Likely the horse was freaked out by being out in the wilderness alone, getting approached by wild horsss and possibly ran off by them etc. I strongly doubt that the horse watched something nefarious happen to Ben and then was spooked hours or days later by what it witnessed. Even the gentlest horses can also be difficult to catch in open spaces and if they’re tacked with reins dragging behind, that could make for quite the chase.

I gotta tell you as a horse professional I don’t really agree with what you’re getting at here. In December, my horse was at a clinic with an Olympic trainer when another horse got too close for comfort and he nailed me in the face with his shod hind foot. I was bleeding and fairly freaked out, and he was munching hay contentedly. I was at a competition with another one of my horses where I fell off and nailed my head really hard and had to then lead my horse back to the barn about a quarter mile away (luckily in both situations, I was wearing a helmet). He was a jumpy jerk the whole time because he’d just been galloping and jumping and suddenly had to walk quietly next to me back to the barn, but I can assure you his psyche wasn’t affected by my fall. He just wanted to run and jump more.

The quote above about horse memory is actually going against what I think you’re getting at-that the horse witnessed something dangerous and was scared by it. Likely the horse was freaked out by being out in the wilderness alone, getting approached by wild horsss and possibly ran off by them etc. I strongly doubt that the horse watched something nefarious happen to Ben and then was spooked hours or days later by what it witnessed. Even the gentlest horses can also be difficult to catch in open spaces and if they’re tacked with reins dragging behind, that could make for quite the chase.

Sorry about your injury!
I agree. Horses are unpredictable, imo. About time you think you have one figured out, they surprise you.
Lol, ever notice how fast they can run after they “dump” their rider? Gunny was on the run for many hours, evidently. Idk if she could get to water or if all sources were iced over. I assume she found some foliage to chomp on here & there. I’d say she was a nervous wreck as she was not used to eating while tacked (just sure Ben would NOT allow her to engage in such a bad habit) or being turned out tacked.
I’m still speculating the horse was hauled to a specific location & turned loose, w/o Ben in the picture.
Hopefully word is spreading about the need for camera footage and tips are rolling in.
IMO, LE has a specific “unit” in mind & only need ONE photo to prove it was in the area.
Moo

Sorry about your injury!
I agree. Horses are unpredictable, imo. About time you think you have one figured out, they surprise you.
Lol, ever notice how fast they can run after they “dump” their rider? Gunny was on the run for many hours, evidently. Idk if she could get to water or if all sources were iced over. I assume she found some foliage to chomp on here & there. I’d say she was a nervous wreck as she was not used to eating while tacked (just sure Ben would NOT allow her to engage in such a bad habit) or being turned out tacked.
I’m still speculating the horse was hauled to a specific location & turned loose, w/o Ben in the picture.
Hopefully word is spreading about the need for camera footage and tips are rolling in.
IMO, LE has a specific “unit” in mind & only need ONE photo to prove it was in the area.
Moo

As a former horse owner, a one horse owner/rider and one horse I showed for over 15 years, there is a big connection emotionally and it makes a big difference vs if you are a horse professional and the horse is with many trainers/riders etc. My view has always been if his horse was HIS horse...a one-man horse, there is a big connection. For Ben to be found it would have been very useful to have brought his his horse back to the area to look. And to me, if this were the case, there was a reason his horse was found alone.

As a former horse owner, a one horse owner/rider and one horse I showed for over 15 years, there is a big connection emotionally and it makes a big difference vs if you are a horse professional and the horse is with many trainers/riders etc. My view has always been if his horse was HIS horse...a one-man horse, there is a big connection. For Ben to be found it would have been very useful to have brought his his horse back to the area to look. And to me, if this were the case, there was a reason his horse was found alone.

Idk if they brought the horse back, or not. Jack (bro) rode with SAR, I never heard if he rode Gunny or Ben’s other horse or if SAR supplied a horse for him. I’ll look for pics, tomorrow. Iirc, Gunny is a young horse, I think I watched a video of Ben breaking her.

Only able to find that brother searched with Ben's dogs on horseback. Not sure if he used Ben's horse though. Parents searching by helicopter.

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

"Richard and Jennifer texted to say that they were searching for Ben via helicopter, while Jack was on horseback, accompanied by Ben's dogs."

At one point, Ben found what was believed to be a broken rein from Ben's horse."

Last edited:
FWIW, the two I referenced are horses I own. I think a horse that was super bonded to Ben (and not all horses “bond” that way, most do not) wouldn’t have left his side at all. We’ll have to agree to disagree about horse psychology on this thread!

There have been so many good ideas expressed here on why Gunny would have been jumpy when found.

The only one I can add to that list is that, imho, Gunny would have been desperate to go home, but possibly didn't know how to get there!?!

If hopelessly lost, that in itself could cause major stress. Moo

I'm with @Trudie and @zecats in wondering if dog searches were made around BT'S house and NR and certainly hope they were! Hope they searched the inside of his house, too.
I wonder if BT'S truck had a dashcam? If so, was that checked?
And what about his cell phone? If he didn't have it with him then it should have been found in his house or truck, right? Hopefully, LE has the cell phone and has had an expert examine it and his records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member